Buying an NAS

6 replies to this topic
matthew1g
  • matthew1g

Trust me, I'm a pipe smoker

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:50 PM

http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_6376wt_1156

I'm thinking of buying that to put on the network and access through ps3/macs/windows laptop It's the cheapest 2 bay NAS I could find. Does anyone know if that brand is any good? At the moment I'm thinking of putting 2x1tb in JBOD, but I might upgrade to 2x2tb in the future. Also what is the USB for?

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:07 PM

The brand seems familiar, but I don't know in related products to be honest

matthew1g
  • matthew1g

Trust me, I'm a pipe smoker

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

according to feedback on newegg, the thing has very slow transfer rates confused.gif not sure If I still want that, I'm looking at this now:

http://www.xtreamer....z/overview.aspx

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:57 PM

The OP link didn't work for me. Took me to uk ebay just not the exact product.

I have a netgear readynas and love it. It doesn't have the best transfer rate but it more than does the trick. Aside from some of the fun bells and whistles ,like streaming right from my nas through xbox, having the security of data redundancy helps me sleep at night.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:23 AM

The link worked for me, just as a FYI, sorry I have no experience with that, but MaximumPC and some other online sources can help aid you in a server for the home. Not many people go that route I assume

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:29 PM Edited by Stinky12, 23 March 2012 - 10:31 PM.

NAS stands for network attach storage and most people think it's a very complex setup. All there is, is just a hard drive shared over the network. You can simply just buy a WD or Seagate external HDD, plug in to the USB port on a router (supported on certain router models) and viola, instant NAS (aka el cheapo nas, Dlink DIR857 comes with USB 3.0).
Of course there are more complex NAS like 4 bays, hot swap, raid, remote management, disk size quota, and all other features you have have never heard off.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:45 AM

QUOTE (Stinky12 @ Friday, Mar 23 2012, 18:29)
Of course there are more complex NAS like 4 bays, hot swap, raid, remote management, disk size quota, and all other features you have have never heard of f .

But they are well worth it. My old 2bay is hot swap with RAID and all that.

Since they have been around for a few years now there is a ton of software written for them too. If you are into torrents you could do all your torrent stuff via your NAS, thus not having to use any of your main PCs resources. Oh and I guess if you were to torrent with your NAS you could just watch all those free ,public domain movies, you download through your console the second they finish downloading.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users