Quantcast

» «
Photo

To all Writers who have been posting lately..

57 replies to this topic
gta dad
  • gta dad

penis dickling, the goose

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Member 2014

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:05 AM

I'm going to start making an effort to leave a comment on more peoples stories.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

Ain't nothin' over til it's over.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [Expression]

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Friday, Mar 30 2012, 02:17)
QUOTE (Ziggy455 @ Thursday, Mar 29 2012, 16:21)
QUOTE (The Unvirginiser @ Thursday, Mar 29 2012, 01:29)
I like bacon.

You beautiful sexy bacon eating bastard. inlove.gif

I'm actually writing a lot more and I've been frequenting this board for the last few days and it's jumped up a little bit with the work quality. That idea about an actual writing community board has been floating around in my head. With postage rules and such which I've been working on. Do you think it'd work?

It would focus more on CRITIQUING of the work as opposed to 'Derp les post anuva 100000 word vomit!'. It'd be a resourceful site, tutorials on punctuation and grammar. I'm going to have a think about it. turn.gif

That has to exist already surely

If not then that's a genius idea. If sign up and I know someone else who souls (uni student studying English and creative writing)

It's a huge commitment though

I would be committed fully to the site, not only will it help my own craft improve, I'll be helping others. If I am committed to that as much as I am to WD here, I'm sure something good would come of it. lol.gif I'll think it over today. Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:00 PM

Plenty of writing forums exist out there. You'd be far better served joining one.

You may think you'll be extremely committed to it, but somewhere along the way it'll just die out. Not necessarily from your lack of attention to it, but... people just won't join.

How about this? Spend the time you would have spent figuring it all out writing instead. Everybody wins.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE (Eminence @ Friday, Mar 30 2012, 14:00)
Plenty of writing forums exist out there. You'd be far better served joining one.

You may think you'll be extremely committed to it, but somewhere along the way it'll just die out. Not necessarily from your lack of attention to it, but... people just won't join.

How about this? Spend the time you would have spent figuring it all out writing instead. Everybody wins.

I have joined several writing forums over the years, and albeit I uploaded large quantities of what people considered 'Good' work. Nobody cares on those sites, people only care about the recognition their own works gets and they refuse to read anybody else's work. It's either post work there and get no feedback, or post here and get minimal feedback.

It's sh*t both ways. cryani.gif

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

Horny

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:33 PM

It'd be cool if we could just get this section a bit busier, let alone a whole forum. Insightful commenting, making suggestions etc. But then we aren't really in a forum truly dedicated to creative arts, first and foremost we're a forum for GTA players. Not everyone is as passionate about writing as the handful of regulars we have in this section and there's not really much we can do to add to our numbers in a GTA community.

...other than, as I suggested, moving the voting for SSOTM to GenChat. But as Craig says, that might backfire and bring down a whole fire-storm of nooby sh*tness into this section, which would be no good.

I wish we'd made more of an effort to get writers recognised in the GTAF Newsletter while that was still running. Oh well.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE (SIKKS66 @ Friday, Mar 30 2012, 21:33)
It'd be cool if we could just get this section a bit busier, let alone a whole forum. Insightful commenting, making suggestions etc. But then we aren't really in a forum truly dedicated to creative arts, first and foremost we're a forum for GTA players. Not everyone is as passionate about writing as the handful of regulars we have in this section and there's not really much we can do to add to our numbers in a GTA community.

...other than, as I suggested, moving the voting for SSOTM to GenChat. But as Craig says, that might backfire and bring down a whole fire-storm of nooby sh*tness into this section, which would be no good.

I wish we'd made more of an effort to get writers recognised in the GTAF Newsletter while that was still running. Oh well.

There's got to be something we can do to get the popularity of this place up and running.

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

I think posting something to do with SSOTM in gen chat could be a fine idea. I'm certainly not against any sort of promotion - if people don't like it they can ignore it - and as for introducing 'noob' writers... well, if it brings in just one quality new face that otherwise wouldn't be here, then that's success.

But first, there needs to be an SSOTM.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:33 PM Edited by Ziggy455, 30 March 2012 - 10:36 PM.

QUOTE (Eminence @ Friday, Mar 30 2012, 22:19)
I think posting something to do with SSOTM in gen chat could be a fine idea. I'm certainly not against any sort of promotion -  if people don't like it they can ignore it - and as for introducing 'noob' writers... well, if it brings in just one quality new face that otherwise wouldn't be here, then that's success.

But first, there needs to be an SSOTM.

You know something? You're right.

I understand the whole concept of SSOTM. However I'd like to maybe implement a few rules because the reason it fell off as an activity was because all we ever got was the whole 'I'll write it up next millennium.'

I wouldn't mind being in charge of each SSOTM entry. However I'd like to put a twist on it, just to keep up activity. I think what I'd like to put into it (for the benefit of activity) are these rules:

1. A roster: If you join SSOTM, your name will be officially placed into that month's list of competitors, if you don't upload a story- you WILL be notified, if you don't upload one before the due date, you're not capable of joining the next month's one.

2. Word count: Anything around 100 - 500 words max. Doesn't need to be overly long.

3. A banning of using the words 'I will write it up soon.' - You upload your short story, and then your name is added to the roster. I don't want to know when you'll write it, I want to see it when it's done.

As for advertising in GenChat, I'm sure if I make the rules abundantly clear like I have for this topic, we won't get a lot of 'noobish' writing. If people choose to read and follow the conventions.

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:41 PM

I was always interested in having a weekly or bi-weekly competition, although I don't think we ever went through with it, for the obvious reason of people feeling overloaded with it. But I dunno. I always feel like a month is a little too long; it allows things to grow stagnant. There's no sweet spot. It's like, if you write your piece straight away - well, that's you done for the month, so you might not do anything else. On the flip side, you have the entire month to procrastinate. Maybe it's just me, but I think for a lot of people deadlines - actually seeing it on the horizon - spur you on, cut out the procrastination. If you're overwhelmed then you could skip one or two; if not, it keeps you sharp.

But I dunno. At the end of the day, 500 words or 5000, it's all about the participants. Everything's possible - it just requires people to be involved, and actually do it.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:05 PM

QUOTE (Eminence @ Friday, Mar 30 2012, 22:41)
I was always interested in having a weekly or bi-weekly competition, although I don't think we ever went through with it, for the obvious reason of people feeling overloaded with it. But I dunno. I always feel like a month is a little too long; it allows things to grow stagnant. There's no sweet spot. It's like, if you write your piece straight away - well, that's you done for the month, so you might not do anything else. On the flip side, you have the entire month to procrastinate. Maybe it's just me, but I think for a lot of people deadlines - actually seeing it on the horizon - spur you on, cut out the procrastination. If you're overwhelmed then you could skip one or two; if not, it keeps you sharp.

But I dunno. At the end of the day, 500 words or 5000, it's all about the participants. Everything's possible - it just requires people to be involved, and actually do it.

Sometimes people need a little push. Other times it is down to laziness. However I'm sure certain rules could be put in place for the people that DO want to do it. No matter how small that number is. confused.gif

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

Horny

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE (Eminence @ Friday, Mar 30 2012, 22:41)
On the flip side, you have the entire month to procrastinate.

This. Did this too many times. Also, it wasn't the end of the month it was like the 26th which meant on the 24th I was like "Oh I've got 6 days to get something written OH CRAP NO I DON'T!" lol.gif

Weekly could work but for a forum where people can drift in and out and go missing for a handful of days at a time due to work etc, it might make things difficult. Also, having 52 winners a year might take away that little bit of prestige you'd get for winning our little contests tounge.gif I'm also thinking we'll have more people coming in and posting things they've blasted out in a half-hour on Word just to they can enter. With monthly contests, you feel that the author has put a lot of care and effort into getting everything right. We'd also have trouble finding a new "theme" every week I think.

Bi-weekly would just cloud the issue, negating the benefits of either a weekly or a monthly contest.

I think if we were to bring SSOTM back, something that we should have is a pinned thread with all the winners in one spot. Something that new writers to our section could see and think, "hey, I wouldn't mind having my work up there." Just a little something to get winners recognised.

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE (SIKKS66 @ Friday, Mar 30 2012, 23:13)
Also, having 52 winners a year might take away that little bit of prestige you'd get for winning our little contests tounge.gif

It could be halved by having a week of writing and then a week of voting. Always have to factor in the time it takes to declare the winner.

I dunno. You said it yourself that you procrastinate with a month-long competition, and for me it really feels like it creates stagnation. The format has been tried over and over again, and every time it dies out. There's a reason behind that.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:24 PM

The format has been tried over and over again, and every time it dies out. There's a reason behind that.

Then we find a new way to revitalise it. Somehow, a formula could work to keep it fresh and new. I'm sure if we all pool in, we could think of something good. What about a tri-weekly contest? 21 Days seems like a legit amount of time for writing and voting? 11 Days of writing, 10 days of voting. Winner gets on the board for the rest of the month until the start of the next one. monocle.gif

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:05 AM

QUOTE (Ziggy455 @ Saturday, Mar 31 2012, 03:54)

I have joined several writing forums over the years, and albeit I uploaded large quantities of what people considered 'Good' work. Nobody cares on those sites, people only care about the recognition their own works gets and they refuse to read anybody else's work. It's either post work there and get no feedback, or post here and get minimal feedback.

Have you tried this one:

http://www.writingforums.org/

mark-2007
  • mark-2007

Big Homie

• The Connection

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:15 AM

QUOTE (Ziggy455 @ Friday, Mar 30 2012, 23:33)
1. A roster: If you join SSOTM, your name will be officially placed into that month's list of competitors, if you don't upload a story- you WILL be notified, if you don't upload one before the due date, you're not capable of joining the next month's one.

3. A banning of using the words 'I will write it up soon.' - You upload your short story, and then your name is added to the roster. I don't want to know when you'll write it, I want to see it when it's done.

If I've understood these rules right, I think they're a bit excessive and would push away more prospective writers than they would attract. Punishing someone for writing one entry and then not doing so the following month (be it no time/no inspiration from the theme/whatever) is a bit harsh. Surely you should be trying to attract member, not scare them away with future bans from the contest.

If it's to be brought back, the themes should be widened. At the last go, I think it was most just a one word/short phrase theme, occasionally accompanied by a photo to go with it. I reckon you could try widen the scope a bit more, maybe have some themes that are scenarios (eg. "On a beach with a man named Mike") that would still allow for the story to go anywhere. Similarly, using just a picture, with no accompanying words, could work - it'd be close to the topic in WD ages ago, 10,000 words, by Craig (I think?). Mix it up.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:31 AM

QUOTE (mark-2007 @ Saturday, Mar 31 2012, 00:15)
QUOTE (Ziggy455 @ Friday, Mar 30 2012, 23:33)

If I've understood these rules right, I think they're a bit excessive and would push away more prospective writers than they would attract. Punishing someone for writing one entry and then not doing so the following month (be it no time/no inspiration from the theme/whatever) is a bit harsh. Surely you should be trying to attract member, not scare them away with future bans from the contest.

If it's to be brought back, the themes should be widened. At the last go, I think it was most just a one word/short phrase theme, occasionally accompanied by a photo to go with it. I reckon you could try widen the scope a bit more, maybe have some themes that are scenarios (eg. "On a beach with a man named Mike") that would still allow for the story to go anywhere. Similarly, using just a picture, with no accompanying words, could work - it'd be close to the topic in WD ages ago, 10,000 words, by Craig (I think?). Mix it up.

Those rules were my opinion. I wouldn't expect them to actually be implemented on the fact of what you've said, we shouldn't push writers away.

I'd be up for giving it a trial run. Perhaps with more obvious themes like you've said. It's worth a shot.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

Killed by drones.

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2015
    Most Talented Writer 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE (Ziggy455 @ Friday, Mar 30 2012, 14:54)

that worries me. Once i'd finished my current fan fic my plan was to begin writing original stuff again. PArt of that would mean joining a writing forum. But what you've said has put me off a little....

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

Write original work here? I know it's inactive but while I have considered writing forums, I've always found WD is perfect for my needs anyway. Good mentors, a strong community, familiar faces. You almost always get a little feedback - if you don't then it's better than fishing for it in a bigger, even less familiar site.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

Killed by drones.

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (El Zilcho @ Tuesday, Apr 3 2012, 12:05)
Write original work here? I know it's inactive but while I have considered writing forums, I've always found WD is perfect for my needs anyway. Good mentors, a strong community, familiar faces. You almost always get a little feedback - if you don't then it's better than fishing for it in a bigger, even less familiar site.

i'd thought that but My latest upload - a GTA fanfic on a GTA forum, has not had the interest and replies as my last.

If i can't interest GTA fans to read (what i genuinely think is a good) a GTA fan fic story, how can i interest people in something completely new?

I know there's a lot of rubbish fan fics on these forums, but i do think mine is at least "good". It might not be brilliant but hey.

I also wonder if people on GTA Forums (we ALL like/love GTA, right?) arent interested in my GTA fan fic, why would they look twice at my other works?

I dont know whether it's me being negative or what but there it is.

Anyway I just realised this isn't the social club topic and i've gone off topic hugely... I've forgotten what the topic IS tounge.gif

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Tuesday, Apr 3 2012, 13:19)

i'd thought that but My latest upload - a GTA fanfic on a GTA forum, has not had the interest and replies as my last.

If i can't interest GTA fans to read (what i genuinely think is a good) a GTA fan fic story, how can i interest people in something completely new?

That's almost insulting. Your previous fan fic was a tumultuous success - you received attention most can only dream of. Your new one is already on 3 pages, most of it applause and support from your fans. The majority of writers here (particularly new ones) don't receive a tenth of what you get, and for that reason I can't buy into your complaints.

Maybe because it's very similar to your previous; gun battle after gun battle? I don't want to be harsh but even for its similarities you've got it much better than most, whose work never sees the light of day.

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Tuesday, Apr 3 2012, 12:19)
I also wonder if people on GTA Forums (we ALL like/love GTA, right?) arent interested in my GTA fan fic, why would they look twice at my other works?

Most people who can offer you genuine, worthwhile feedback would be much more attracted to an original work than a fanfic. I hardly glance sideways at fanfics anymore. For a serious writer, they're a waste of time.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

QUOTE (Eminence @ Tuesday, Apr 3 2012, 13:53)
QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Tuesday, Apr 3 2012, 12:19)

Most people who can offer you genuine, worthwhile feedback would be much more attracted to an original work than a fanfic. I hardly glance sideways at fanfics anymore. For a serious writer, they're a waste of time.

I find Fanfics to be very much like bad movies. Regardless of their essence of rehashed plotlines or characters, sometimes you'll find a hidden gem. I find Fanfics to be particularly fun to do. Kind of like a wind down to writing. smile.gif

Tyler
  • Tyler

tempora labuntur

• None
  • Best Poem 2014
    Best Story 2014
    Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:36 PM

On the subject of it, I don't really think fanfics are all that fun. There's few exceptions where a fanfic fits with the original story in the universe it's set in, or where the storytelling is even on par with the original work.

That said they are fun to imagine up.
  • Ziggy455 likes this

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE (Tyler @ Tuesday, Apr 3 2012, 19:36)
On the subject of it, I don't really think fanfics are all that fun. There's few exceptions where a fanfic fits with the original story in the universe it's set in, or where the storytelling is even on par with the original work.

That said they are fun to imagine up.

I prefer original work too really, I mean I've only really had ONE decent fanfic which I am working right now. Sides that I've been only focussing on actual stories, shorts mostly. smile.gif

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

Killed by drones.

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE (El Zilcho @ Tuesday, Apr 3 2012, 13:40)
QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Tuesday, Apr 3 2012, 13:19)

That's almost insulting. Your previous fan fic was a tumultuous success - you received attention most can only dream of. Your new one is already on 3 pages, most of it applause and support from your fans. The majority of writers here (particularly new ones) don't receive a tenth of what you get, and for that reason I can't buy into your complaints.

Maybe because it's very similar to your previous; gun battle after gun battle? I don't want to be harsh but even for its similarities you've got it much better than most, whose work never sees the light of day.

Sorry man, i didn't mean to sound like a spoilt brat. I've lost some confidence in writing lately and am trying to get it back by getting that finished.
Thanks for that post though, it's put it all in perspective. I have said to myself though that once my current one is finished, i will begin working on more original writings. I'm already searching for the subject etc. I was planning on ressurecting ones i'd stopped working on but i think they've all been done before.

Anyway sorry if i've offended anyone, that was not my attention.

gun battle after gun battle? I don't want to be harsh but even for its similarities you've got it much better than most, whose work never sees the light of day.

I can't argue with that. Perhaps I have hit the limitations of what GTA fan fiction can offer, maybe I'm pushing it too far and it's time to hang it up. That said though i don't want to just quit, and i see it as a duty i have to myself to follow it through to the end, whether it's as sucessful as the first one (which i guess spoilt me) or what.

Anyway i best get back to work here, but I'll take everyone's posts into consideration.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:18 PM

I'm starting to see many of these pointers popping up again and I figured people needed to re-read this stuff.

Ronmar The Only
  • Ronmar The Only

Storyteller, Plus Hopeless Romantic.

• The Connection

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:18 AM

I don't completely agree with point two.

I have posted new stories/parts of stories and then a follow up or separate in the same topic as the next reply. It isn't my fault that no one responded or that I had already written something new to post.

However, I do understand your point and would agree with the general idea that people posting short segments of a story multiple times uninterrupted, especially if they are of poor quality (whether simply a proofreading problem or serious mechanical issues with the story as a whole or part), is not a good thing.

Canofceleri
  • Canofceleri

OG

• The Connection

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:18 PM

The problem is not really a problem. At a certain point, if you're serious about writing, you must come to terms with this being a GTAForum filled with 14 year olds. If you take the craft seriously, this should not be where you look to post. If you only want people to give you some empty feedback, a line or two of flattery with not much valuable insight, then by all means stay here and get a nice boost for the ego. But if you are serious, find a real writer's workshop online like the one at poetryfree4all and prepare to be humbled by better writers who are all too willing to rip your sh*t to shreds... you will grow as a writer after one post more than a year of posting here, I am sure.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users