Photo

Star Wars: The Prequels

10 replies to this topic
Iminicus
  • Iminicus

Cyclop have 9 years

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

Topher Grace, who was the Star Wars obsessed Eric Forman on TV’s That 70′s Show, held an exclusive private screening Tuesday night of the prequel trilogy. Well, the 85 minutes that survived his re-cut that is. Grace has apparently given his spin on the work of George Lucas, leaving over 4 and half hours on the cutting room floor. Collider‘s Steve Weintraub was one of only 50 to see it, and according to Grace no one will ever get the chance again.

Source: Topher and Star Wars

Since the VCR first entered people’s homes, many consumers have tried to edit Hollywood films.  As the technology got more advanced and computer software became more powerful, fan edits have become commonplace with “fan trailers” popping up on YouTube every day.  In fact, every week I get at least a dozen emails asking me to watch a fan-trailer.  But while fan trailers are commonplace, trying to edit three movies into one eight-five minute film is not.  But that’s what Topher Grace did with the Star Wars prequels, and shockingly it really worked!

Let me back up a second.

Last night, Topher Grace invited about 50 people to a one-time showing of his version of the prequels.  While you may think there is no way to make the three films work as one coherent movie, Grace accomplished it with only a few minor flaws.  His combined prequel trilogy moves quickly and omits huge chucks of story in favor of action and streamlining the narrative events of the prequels.  Gone are the politics, General Grievous, Jar Jar Binks (except for one shot), the clone army, and about 99% of the first movie.  More after the jump.

Source: Original Article

This could make Topher Grace f*cking awesome. The first linked article has a bigger Vimeo video player but both are interesting reads.

I tried to post the video, but we don't have Vimeo tags.

Andyzoot
  • Andyzoot

Player Hater

• Zaibatsu

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

Heard about this yesterday. Thanks for posting. 'The Phantom Edit' might be worth seeking out if you haven't seen it.

Iminicus
  • Iminicus

Cyclop have 9 years

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:23 PM

You got a link for it Panda?

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:31 PM

this topic needs a mention of Red Letter Media's Star Wars prequel reviews by Plinkett.

http://redlettermedi...nkett/star-wars

I'm also looking forward to seeing Topher's version... if it ever becomes publicly available.

Floro Solo
  • Floro Solo

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:30 PM

What's with the "oh my god it's so perfect' followed by 'but no one will ever see it' in every sentence? Then what's the point of all the work that went into it?

I don't want to see people talk about the cut, I want to see the cut. Obviously.

Chunkyman
  • Chunkyman

Foot Soldier

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:34 PM

I want to watch this, bad.

Lucas is a poison to the series, fan edits are better.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE (Floro Solo @ Wednesday, Mar 21 2012, 14:30)
What's with the "oh my god it's so perfect' followed by 'but no one will ever see it' in every sentence? Then what's the point of all the work that went into it?

I don't want to see people talk about the cut, I want to see the cut. Obviously.

There's a matter of legality. They can't release it, because they don't own the rights to the movies. And I doubt George Lucas would let someone else release a cut his movies that he didn't personally oversee.

I don't think it's that big of a deal anyway. Anyone could cut the crap out of these movies. It's not like he added anything that made it better.

Floro Solo
  • Floro Solo

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Wednesday, Mar 21 2012, 22:41)

There's a matter of legality. They can't release it, because they don't own the rights to the movies. And I doubt George Lucas would let someone else release a cut his movies that he didn't personally oversee.

I don't think it's that big of a deal anyway. Anyone could cut the crap out of these movies. It's not like he added anything that made it better.

The Phantom Edit got around that somehow. It was even mentioned by Lucas himself.

From what i've heard in the video I think I will prefer the Phantom Edit over it anyway. That cut was based on story, not on more action.

Iminicus
  • Iminicus

Cyclop have 9 years

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:40 PM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Wednesday, Mar 21 2012, 14:41)

There is a site dedicated to Fan Edits.

Fan Edits

It can be released under Fair Usage. As long as Topher doesn't charge for it, he can release it.

Tommy34
  • Tommy34

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:36 AM

I'm surprised that people want to see more of Star Wars over and over again. I must admit I fell asleep watching two of them. It was good for the time released first, back in the 70s.

Iminicus
  • Iminicus

Cyclop have 9 years

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:52 AM

QUOTE (Tommy34 @ Thursday, Mar 22 2012, 19:36)
I'm surprised that people want to see more of Star Wars over and over again. I must admit I fell asleep watching two of them. It was good for the time released first, back in the 70s.

I'm surprised people want to visit websites over and over again. The internet was good back in the '80s, but now it isn't

I'm surprised people want to watch TV shows over and over again. They were good in the first seasons.

Your logic is f*cking stupid. The Original Trilogy is some of the greatest Space Opera ever put onto the Silver Screen. As fans, we just wish George Lucas hadn't f*cked what could have been the second greatest Space Opera on the Silver Screen. The Prequels are sh*te and when it takes fans to make them into great movies, that tells you something.

It tells you the level of passion in the fan community and how betrayed they feel by Lucas. The Prequels might be Lucas' films but the lore, history, characters, etc belong to the fans and for Lucas to blatantly f*ck it all up just to fed his ego, cannot be left undone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users