» «
Photo

Manhunt's Carcer City in SanAndreas

102 replies to this topic
jaky2008
  • jaky2008

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:56 PM Edited by jaky2008, 19 May 2012 - 09:23 AM.

Team members:
Mod leader/founder: jaky2008
Map converters: frank.s, jaky2008.
Tripleas
Jackhepburn

Programs used:
Autodesk 3D Studio Max
TXDWorkshop
G-TXD
G-IMG
IMGTool
Steve-M's .Coll Editor 2

Scripts used:
Deniska's SA Tools
KAM'S GTA Scripts
.BSP import 3

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

*This post will be updated in time*

UPDATE: I thought i'd update this page to tell everyone of a better mod that is much further and developed than this one, it is for GTA IV:
http://www.gtaforums...T&f=55&t=510457

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

• The Yardies

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:40 PM Edited by Frank.s, 23 March 2012 - 11:47 AM.

Great work. smile.gif

Here's some levels i converted including NVC:

user posted image user posted image

Original:What tools are you using, 3D Ripper DX + 3dsmax? If i have some spare modding time i'll help with fixing up the models you've put in-game and improve them to fit in.
'Noticed you've been unable to convert the vertex coloring, but like i said, i can help with that once i've finished doing my job on
Perils of LC
SA Ped + Car paths are piss-easy so i can do those, and/or teach you how to make 'em yourself (google Deniskas SA Path Tool). icon14.gif
Adding "day vertex coloring" and "night vertex coloring" (done properly) will make it have the exact same look as it did in manhunt, combined with some timecyc editing. To make a thumbnail, create a copy of the picture but make it thumb sized then upload it and post it as a picture, next crtl+x the [img] code and paste it into a http tag and ctrl+v it as the http links name and write the full size pic's url as the the links destination. Not sure if i explained that in any form of understandable language lol.
To make it easier, here is an example of your first picture made into a thumbnail:
I'll edit this post to remove the picture once you've put the thumbnail in your original post or something.

jaky2008
  • jaky2008

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:00 PM Edited by jaky2008, 23 March 2012 - 04:38 PM.

I actually tried 3dRipperDX and it was bad because it only captures a small area of the map, I actually used a BSP import script I found on the internet by searching criminal russia's (they made scripts to import .BSP) development team and Manhunt on Google, eventually finding a .rar with loads of scripts on, one just happened to be .BSP import 3!

I also have no clue what vertex colouring is! (Unitl you mentioned it anyway) And i'd appreciate you're help yes, thanks as I again know nothing about creating paths either!
I'll get to work on the other map files tomorrow as right now im going to give myself a break, I mean I guess I could attempt the paths myself but I think I will need help with the timecycle and these vertex colours you speak of.

Thanks for showing interest in this mod.

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

• The Yardies

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:25 PM Edited by Frank.s, 21 March 2012 - 09:29 PM.

Thanks for showing interest in this mod.
Glad to see a mod like this.
How do you mean copy the picture? Like copy and reupload it as a smaller image? but then how would it be full size when you press it?
I right clicked the image and copied it then pasted it into g.i.m.p and resized it so it's smaller and added that black border and saved a new image file one my desktop. Then i uploaded it to dropbox and used the url of the large picture and the url of the small thumbnail picture combined with bbcode to make the linking thumbnail. You can use the code i posted on my first post to make more thumbnail links on gtaf, or learn how it works so you don't need to paste and edit that line to change the urls to the images of your choice)

jaky2008
  • jaky2008

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:28 PM Edited by jaky2008, 21 March 2012 - 09:32 PM.

Oh now I get you, so do you think I should make the first page look a little bit more fancy? Like list the tools I used and give it a better layout and even a logo?

So I will re-upload the files myself and send you the link. Do you mind if I try and improve the levels before sending you any map files? I want to remove all of the uneeded mesh's and basically get more map files done first.

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

• The Yardies

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:29 PM Edited by Frank.s, 22 March 2012 - 01:34 PM.

Oh now I get you, so do you think I should make the first page look a little bit more fancy? Like list the tools I used and give it a better layout and even a logo?
Yeah, improving the presentation and planning of the mod will make it much better imho.

One and a half hours later:
    Edit: Small update, day vertex colors and night vertex colors get imported correctly. What dff export script are you using? Also, what settings buttons are pressed when you export your dffs?
    Both of those could be reasons why vertex coloring is not appearing in SA.

When i imported the TrainYard, it appears to be the right size, how large are your imported meshes in 3dsmax?
Twenty minutes later:
    Edit2: I've imported and rotated the TrainYard scene1.bsp and exported every single object to SA:
    The vertex coloring worked perfect, i think yours didn't export vertex colors because you used kams scripts: that doesn't support NVC (night vertex colors) and didn't have the VCOL button set (day vertex colors).

Also, why are you using mapeditor?
    I just used 3dsmax + deniskas dff scripts to export every object in batch at once and xmens col scripts to export every collision in batch (with good .col brightness set) and deniskas ide script to make the ide file with one click and kams ipl exporter to export the ipl in one click. Exporting all 87 objects took 20 minutes, from importing the .bsp in 3dsmax to playing the finished exported level in SA. Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

You can see the difference vertex coloring makes, it's got much more depth and looks more realistic. Here i turned the in-game brightness (the one in the pause menu) down to zero as a shortcut instead of editing the timecyc for now.
    user posted image
Do you want me to send you the .dff+.txd+.max+.col+ide+ipl+img files for my exported version of the TrainYard, or are you going to export it your self?

The next day:
    Converted the TrainYards scene2.bsp into SA too, it was just a little bit of extra graffiti. It seems that in a manhunt level (or at least on the TrainYard level), the scene1.bsp is used for streaming the map and the scene2.bsp contains map parts that never get un-rendered.
    I'm guessing that because the scene1 had seperate objects so it appears like it's designed so objects in the distance get un-rendered.
    The scene2.bsp on the other hand, only contains one object which is larger than the traditional size for a map objects and that would cause it to dissappear so that means that the scene2 must be always rendered without getting un-rendered (if thats a word, idk)
Later:
    I've converted the "Weasel" level, most of it converted fine (with the exeption of some missing alphas):
    user posted image

However other places are bugged:
    user posted image

I might re-import the bsp and see if it works a 2nd time around, however i can't be arsed to re-do it right now.

jaky2008
  • jaky2008

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:23 PM Edited by jaky2008, 22 March 2012 - 04:30 PM.

Vertex colours make the map look significantly better!
The DFF export tool im using is simply KAMS Maxscript and I only choose skip COL.
And I downscale the map so that a character model can fit under doorways but make sure the world doesn't look too big.

Sorry you've confused me with that bit about MapEditor.

And the reason why them alpha's arent showing up is because you have to use G-TXD and use the default alpha settings. However for some reason some models don't seem to have a texture.
I kind of want to export all of the map pieces myself too... and im doing them in order of the actual Manhunt storyline.
Also i've started a mod over at GTAGarage for this.

So I guess this mods a two man team? how about we set up a private account on a filesharing website so we can upload the progress and exchange files?

Oh and you may have noticed that the models of buildings on the outskirts of each map part are 2D or flat?? Do you think we should remove them or try to make them 3D ourselves?

TripleAs
  • TripleAs

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

Holy crap, I've always wanted to do this but thought it would be impossible without a team
If you guys want I'll give you a hand "merging" the parts.
That means, creating roads and buildings between every level
Only problem is, I suck at getting stuff into SA but I can either learn or give you the files as dff/txd/col smile.gif

jaky2008
  • jaky2008

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:03 PM Edited by jaky2008, 22 March 2012 - 05:12 PM.

Sounds good TripleAs, I know you as a fan of Manhunt on the projectmanhunt forums! And you made that amazing Piggsy head model in Zbrush!

I've actually just had a problem with SA crashing with two map files placed together, it loads the first part (Juyturf) but crashes if I rotate the camera to where the Deralict map should be. Strange and irritating but im going to keep trying.

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

• The Yardies

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:20 PM Edited by Frank.s, 22 March 2012 - 05:27 PM.

It seems you're using mapeditor to make the ide and ipl and exporting each dff + col files one by one, is this true? If you are, then you'll need to learn how to export it better imho. Read what i said to Triple below.

TripleAs. Glad to see you join.
Ok, sometime later i'll post the method i use to import the manhunt .bsp and export the dffs+col+ide+ipl files all in one go (not one-by-one) with prelighting (vertex coloring).

jaky2008
  • jaky2008

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:28 PM

Is there a problem with using the mapeditor? I find it nice and easy to use.
Here's steps on what I do to see if I am doing something wrong:
    Add the .txd,.col and .dff files to GTA3.IMG.
    Create a .IPL and .IDE for each map level in MapEditor.
    Add the certain .dff and .txd to an object in each section of the .IDE's.
    Add the object from the .IDE to the .IPL.
    Save install.
    Run game.

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

• The Yardies

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:43 PM

Out of interest, how long does it take you to convert a whole level using that method?

Here's how to do the method i use:
First you need the col and dff exporter that can export all the .dffs at once and all the .cols at once. Deniska script pack has the batch dff + col exporter.

1) Import the scene1 and scene2 bsp into 3dsmax and select every object then rotate it 90 degrees so it's correctly rotated.
2) In 3dsmax, move all the selected objects to wherever they need to be. (basically anywhere above 0.0 sea level)
3) Once the objects are moved to the needed coordinates, while all objects are still selected, click "affect pivot only" then "center to object" and then click "transform" which resets the rotation of the pivot then click "affect pivot only" again to finish using that tool.
4)Reset the xform then right click the grey background of the perspective viewport and click "convert to editable mesh".
5)Now you need to make all the objects have better names than "object01/02/etc," so first make sure every objects is still selected and then click "tools">"rename objects..." and a window should appear.

6) Still writing the rest, tell me if you have any problems with completing steps 1-5. smile.gif

jaky2008
  • jaky2008

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:51 PM

Well with steps 1-5 I basically do that...

I rotate them 90 degrees on the x axis, then attach everything together and rename the map to man_(mapname) and move the map to 0 0 0 and then up above the grid. I then do the affect pivot only thing and export the .dff with skip .col and then the .col with the collision mesh selected and both the .dff and .col are named the same as the max scenes' object.

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

• The Yardies

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:57 PM Edited by Frank.s, 22 March 2012 - 07:09 PM.

They are separate objects when you import them for a reason, it's mainly because of two things: The objects would dissappear when the player walks too far away from the pivot. And the objects would get too high-poly for the game to handle.
You need to export each separate chunk of the imported bsp level object as a different dff file. (not the whole level as one dff file) I'll upload to the DB the files for the two levels i put ingame. So you get an idea of what i'm talking about.

jaky2008
  • jaky2008

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:13 PM Edited by jaky2008, 22 March 2012 - 07:30 PM.

Would make sense as I have Derelict in the game right next to juryturf but the game crashes when I get near it, but it doesn't if I up the .lod draw distance (got it at 500) but this way the .col ends up non-solid. Also those thin black marks on the gound and other models in the maps cant be seen in 3ds max' perspective view but they can be deleted if you press where you think it is and drag it up it will become visiible in the other viewports. They are on every set of stairs and many windows.

The problem is though that they will be difficult to scale together, as in if you were to scale one .dff and not the other it would look weird. A workaround is that they'd have to be done together as a max scene but then exported as seperate .dff's after scaling.

Ha! the col I have is 24835 faces, a bit over the 4000 smile.gif You're teaching me a lot with these little corrections.

Oh and those scripts of deniska's, I already have them! But do you mind telling me what script it is in that pack that allows both .col and .dff export at the same time?

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

• The Yardies

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:16 PM Edited by Frank.s, 22 March 2012 - 07:42 PM.

The .zip archive is uploaded, it's in the map folder.

1) Import the scene1 and scene2 bsp into 3dsmax and select every object then rotate it 90 degrees so it's correctly rotated.
2) In 3dsmax, move all the selected objects to wherever they need to be. (basically anywhere above 0.0 sea level)
3) Once the objects are moved to the needed coordinates, while all objects are still selected, click "affect pivot only" then "center to object" and then click "transform" which resets the rotation of the pivot then click "affect pivot only" again to finish using that tool.
4)Reset the xform then right click the grey background of the perspective viewport and click "convert to editable mesh".
5)Now you need to make all the objects have better names than "object01/02/etc," so first make sure every objects is still selected and then click "tools">"rename objects..." and a window should appear.

user posted image

6) Copy the pictures settings: Set the "base name" to the name of the manhunt level or something, then make sure the "numbered" box is ticked and set base number AND step to 1 then hit the Rename button once.
This makes every object renamed like
TrainYard01
TrainYard02
TrainYard03
TrainYard04
TrainYard05

7) still writing

jaky2008
  • jaky2008

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:42 PM

I have the files, so what I think you mean is that you do not attach any parts but instead run a script that allows you to export every single different piece of the map at the same time? What's the name of the actual script you run?

nvm i'll wait until you've finished you're post first.

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

• The Yardies

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:47 PM

I have the files, so what I think you mean is that you do not attach any parts but instead run a script that allows you to export every single different piece of the map at the same time?
Yep.
What's the name of the actual script you run?
Most of the work is done using deniskas sa tools (for the dff + cst(collission) + ide), and then kams map IO to make the ipl.
Got them installed on your 3dsmax? I'll do the rest of the tut when you have. icon14.gif

jaky2008
  • jaky2008

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:48 PM

Yeah I have all of those scripts ready but I thought you meant there was a single script that done everything at once. I have "sa_tools" but theres loads of scripts inside of that folder.

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

• The Yardies

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:52 PM Edited by Frank.s, 22 March 2012 - 07:54 PM.

Ah i see. Well these are the buttons that get pressed while exporting.
It prolly looks all messed up and complicated because i haven't shown which order to click them in and stuff.

Thumbnail, click to enlarge.
user posted image

jaky2008
  • jaky2008

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:55 PM

Thanks a lot for that, I always wondered how to set the side to load the startup scripts!

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

• The Yardies

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

Ah good, heh i suppose we're making progress then.

Ok, now to export the collissions and dffs.
dffs: Select all the objects (once they have been placed, pivoted, xform reset, renamed 01 02 03 etc) and then click the big dff export button.
cols: Deniskas coll exporter exports .cst files which can be made into a col together using steves col editor 2.

jaky2008
  • jaky2008

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:05 PM

Thanks again, I have the .dff's and .cols exported, what do I need to do with steve's col editor?

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

• The Yardies

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:08 PM

Start it up and save a empty .col then drag and drop all the .cst files into the col list of the col editor then save the col.

jaky2008
  • jaky2008

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:10 PM Edited by jaky2008, 22 March 2012 - 08:18 PM.

I must've used the wrong script as all of the files are .col already, not .cst!

Show you a picture of the actual exported folder or the stages of the script?

Actually nevermind, they are .cst its just they are described as being "GTA collision files"

Problem number 2: I can't drag them into the col editor!

Ha im failing so bad, I've done it now! I keep making stupid mistake bedore thinking about what ive done I keep posting here! But they're in the .col now.

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

• The Yardies

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:11 PM Edited by Frank.s, 22 March 2012 - 08:48 PM.

apologies for the delay, ive just had to do some afk stuff, back now and gonna write the rest of the guide on exporting ide and ipl

Btw, always make sure you save your .max scene regularly, you never know when it could crash.

First, select all of the objects and then click the ide from selection box in deniskas scripts rollout. (a rollout is the name for the panel of buttons i think)

Next set the txd name and draw distance (300, no need for any less, considering todays pc's)

user posted image

I used 5000 as an example, it would be best to use +1 after the last id number used by a map object, know what i mean?

jaky2008
  • jaky2008

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:53 PM Edited by jaky2008, 22 March 2012 - 09:03 PM.

I think so, like check my .ide and se what the biggest number is for the last object and add one more for this one?
I made this one 3141 as jury turf has 3140, so I pressd create IDE and nothing happened?

Yeah i've done the .IDE, well copied it, so I just paste it into a notepad file, save as .ide and plonk it in a new folder in maps?

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

• The Yardies

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:54 PM Edited by Frank.s, 22 March 2012 - 09:06 PM.

Yeah, but does the ide file have objs at the start?
and end after the ide lines?

If yes, then thats the ide sorted.

jaky2008
  • jaky2008

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:07 PM Edited by jaky2008, 22 March 2012 - 09:11 PM.

I dont have a default .ide, and I haven't created a IDE myself, the only ones I have are the ones I made in MapEditor.
So ive just edited the juryturf.IDE and changed the line with the new one and saved as Derelict.IDE.

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

• The Yardies

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:10 PM

I don't understand what you mean, put your data folder in a rar and upload it to the DB and i'll have a look + delete files that are no longer being used by SA, that ok?

Why not just have every ide line in one file and every ipl line in one file? icon14.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users