Windows freezing after deleting a certain file

2 replies to this topic
YoungR3B3L
  • YoungR3B3L

I came here.... To ask questions....

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:54 PM

Well here goes. I wanna talk about something first. My parents have a nutty idea of taking off the battery from my laptop but leaving the charger as they say it saves power. Now, Today I was installing a game but during the installation my sister tripped over the wires so the laptop shutted down automatically. And when I rebooted my laptop I resumed downloading again but it started freezing and I can't open any programs or task manager so I force shutted down the laptop by holding the power button. The first time this happened my computer screen became black and all I saw was my cursor. So I decided to delete the unfinished file and start reinstalling from scratch, However it starts freezing and I couldn't open any programs again and it was COMPLETELY frozen. I tried deleting it various times but the problem persists.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:49 AM

How the hell do you parents think that taking the battery out going to save power? Once the battery is charged it stops drawing power. So slap your parents for that.

Try booting into Safe Mode to see how the system acts. Maybe you can delete the file that way. More importantly I would run chkdsk to see if that fixes anything. While you're in Safe Mode go a head and run a full system cleaning, like anti-virus, anti spyware, registry cleaner and defrag.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:11 PM

Most updates on the current MS OS will set a restore point, for my KSOD (BlacKScreen OfDeath), I had to go through the reinstall completely, as it stands, I had two pairs of the same files archived and backups made by attaching the non-booter to a working OS system (Win Vista), I was able to just re-register my copy online and still have access to the renamed OLD Windows, but there was a lot of anxious moments and this happened back in December, some months before I opted to bite the bullet and reformat (saved the old Windows appended to the files under "C"
I spent last night deleting more of the replicated files, it just became a big chore no one really wants to deal with, but at least the files were salvaged.
Checking or making a backup point index for Windows is a good plan all around

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users