Photo

GTA 4 WILL NOT START. FFS.

43 replies to this topic
PEETERRRR
  • PEETERRRR

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

QUOTE (mkey82 @ Tuesday, Mar 27 2012, 07:29)
Peter, I would like to see a screenshot of the game installation directory on the HDD, not the contents of the install dvd. Don't worry about that script I posted above, screenshots are fine.

Whats an install directory and whats an HDD?

PEETERRRR
  • PEETERRRR

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:16 AM

QUOTE (YankeesPwnMets @ Monday, Mar 26 2012, 21:36)
Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV and look for launchgtaiv.exe there.

There is no folder in there called rockstar games. I will re install and try.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:19 AM

Install directory is a directory a game or a program is installed to. Usually you're pointed to that folder during the installation process and it should very much resemble what YankessPwnMets mentioned above.

HDD is a hard disk, i.e. the long term "PC memory" or storage.

PEETERRRR
  • PEETERRRR

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:05 AM

Okay Mkey.

Hey I reinstalled it, and my little hard drive that I plug in is like 1 terrabite or some sh*t. I have lots of full games on there because thats where my Steam App is installed. Its not even a quarter full, but when I start the game from my expansion drive, rockstar games (i moved that folder to expansion drive) and launchgtaiv It shows the disc icon, then a black coding thing, then an ERROR... 'Not enough space for thread data' or some sh*ts... lol. maybe i cant run it from the black box? my program files is full though so ... whatever as long as nothing is harmed and the game actually works. I regret not Buying this from steam.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:23 AM

Are you quite sure you're allowed to arbitrarily move installation folders around?

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (PEETERRRR @ Tuesday, Mar 27 2012, 05:05)
Okay Mkey.

Hey I reinstalled it, and my little hard drive that I plug in is like 1 terrabite or some sh*t. I have lots of full games on there because thats where my Steam App is installed. Its not even a quarter full, but when I start the game from my expansion drive, rockstar games (i moved that folder to expansion drive) and launchgtaiv It shows the disc icon, then a black coding thing, then an ERROR... 'Not enough space for thread data' or some sh*ts... lol. maybe i cant run it from the black box? my program files is full though so ... whatever as long as nothing is harmed and the game actually works. I regret not Buying this from steam.

So, Are you saying you are trying to run the game from a External Hard Drive and not an Internal one? If so, that may be the problem-Try installing the game to the Default "C" drive and running the game from that and you should be good to go...This is a known problem, as I had this problem with VC and SA on my desktop-tried running the game from my external HD, and it just came up a black screen everytime, yet when I installed and ran it from the "C" drive(the internal Default HD), everything worked great. Just a heads up. tounge2.gif

PEETERRRR
  • PEETERRRR

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:03 AM

QUOTE (radioman @ Tuesday, Mar 27 2012, 15:51)
QUOTE (PEETERRRR @ Tuesday, Mar 27 2012, 05:05)
Okay Mkey.

So, Are you saying you are trying to run the game from a External Hard Drive and not an Internal one? If so, that may be the problem-Try installing the game to the Default "C" drive and running the game from that and you should be good to go...This is a known problem, as I had this problem with VC and SA on my desktop-tried running the game from my external HD, and it just came up a black screen everytime, yet when I installed and ran it from the "C" drive(the internal Default HD), everything worked great. Just a heads up. tounge2.gif

Thanks radioman. I put it on my other hard drive thingy because my C drive is pretty much full up but I will try and find space.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:18 AM

If your C Drive is nearly full just install the game to another drive it will still work it doesn't need to be installed on the C drive.

PEETERRRR
  • PEETERRRR

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:25 AM

QUOTE (nightwalker83 @ Thursday, Mar 29 2012, 05:18)
If your C Drive is nearly full just install the game to another drive it will still work it doesn't need to be installed on the C drive.

Thats what I have done but these peeps reckon thats what is wrong.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:00 AM

QUOTE (PEETERRRR @ Tuesday, Mar 27 2012, 12:05)
(i moved that folder to expansion drive)

You're not allowed to move installation folders manually.

If you change the installation directory during the installation process, you're perfectly in the clear. However, note that external disks over USB 2.0 will give you some performance loss, depending on conditions you can lose quite a lot.

Still waiting for the screen shot of the game installation directory.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:25 AM Edited by nightwalker83, 29 March 2012 - 06:29 AM.

QUOTE (PEETERRRR @ Thursday, Mar 29 2012, 15:55)
QUOTE (nightwalker83 @ Thursday, Mar 29 2012, 05:18)

Thats what I have done but these peeps reckon thats what is wrong.

How much space was on the black hard drive both before and after you installed the game? Also, what is the exactly error message you receive?

PEETERRRR
  • PEETERRRR

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:54 PM

user posted image

user posted image

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:38 AM

OK, we are progressing in baby steps.

Now, if you moved the folder MANUALLY *after* installing the game, the patch installation will fail. In this case, you can install the patch manually by extracting this archive http://www.4shared.c...IV_patch_7.html into the install directory

For this you will need the latest winrar or 7zip.

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

What about simply reinstalling the game and see if that works?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users