Quantcast

» «
Photo

What do you want to see in your GTA V protagonist?

63 replies to this topic
ChillyPhilly
  • ChillyPhilly

Rock 'n' roll stops the traffic.

• Members

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:33 AM

I'm curious what opinions of our protagonist in GTA V are. By that I mean: what do you want to see in our next protagonist?

Do you want a character like Tommy, someone with a powerful personality, determination...badass? Or do you want someone less bold and more reluctant (not in a bad way of course), a loyal guy living it tough like Niko?

Do you just want a character who is only trying to get by and survive, or want a protagonist who wants to take over Los Santos?

My opinion is, I'd like to see a story geared towards taking over and taking control of the setting, in this case Los Santos/San Andreas. Like Vice City. In that case, the kind of main man I'd want would be a strong, powerful character, much like Vercetti himself.

What kind of protagonist do you want?

Gtaghost22
  • Gtaghost22

• Members

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:35 AM

I want the hispanicc guy to be the protagonist.. and i want him to start as a gang member that will eventually take over Los Santos. souns good right?

puttbutt
  • puttbutt

Square Civilian

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:44 AM

Sounds repetitive.

puttbutt
  • puttbutt

Square Civilian

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:57 AM Edited by puttbutt, 19 March 2012 - 11:01 AM.

I want him to be a conflicted family man, who's instinct to provide for his loved ones drives a mental block between his personal life and the horrendous things he has to do to keep that personal life afloat, creating within him sociopathic tendencies a la Breaking Bad or The Sopranos.

It'd be a good way to create a character who's dark and troubled, but at the same time doesn't come off as being whiny, because when he's around friends or family he's experienced with not letting his inner turmoil show.

Jammyget
  • Jammyget

Jammyget=lucky man

• Members

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:01 AM

I want him to have nice hair and a love of cheese and fine wines.

Trideez
  • Trideez

GTAForums OG

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:12 AM

Out of the possible protags we've seen so far I hope the black guy running from the cops is the protag. If not him, then I hope the hispanic guy in the red car is the protag. I really hope the old white guy isn't the protag.

PulpFiction
  • PulpFiction

Yeah, we happy

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:19 AM Edited by Miamivicecity, 19 March 2012 - 11:29 AM.

If he's Ned Luke I hope he has a past similar to Niko, but the drive and ambition for success of Tommy. Basically he uses his past as fuel to take the city down.

Tommy had ambition, but wasn't deep enough. Niko was deep, but had no ambition for success. We had CJ I suppose, but he always felt like he was pushed into becoming the top dog. He had no other choice.

I'd love to see an extensive background with some darkness, but the drive to over come it all and bring LS down to its knees.

PreciousWall
  • PreciousWall

Sophie Ellis-Bextor <3

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:43 AM

if the Ned Luke Guy i'd like he is struggling with the competing loyalties of family, ninjas, and friends, and with the uncertainty about who is real and who is fake in a world in which everyone has a price

just like Luis Lopez

Member#1
  • Member#1

Snitch

• Members

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:00 PM

We all know where this is going. It started already in the second post.
It could be a good thread if you all forget about the trailer and don't mention one of the two you know who.

r0eladn
  • r0eladn

Big Homie

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:01 PM

I want the protag to have gilles de la tourette.

TwinFire
  • TwinFire

Barfs rainbows

• Members

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:03 PM

I'm expecting De Silva (The assumed protagonist) to be a former Mob Boss/Don. I don't want him to be the "chatty" kind of guy, I want him to be serious, subtle and cold.

... But I think he'll be the total opposite since he has a family and will have a major emotional break-down, a la John Marston.

Toniblue
  • Toniblue

Carl "CJ" Johnson: 7-8 LIONS

• Members

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

A young relatable dad ass. The van diesel looking guy is who I'm really hoping its going to be.

AuSsIeThUnDeR36
  • AuSsIeThUnDeR36

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:18 PM

I want the protag to be someone who wants it all and will stop at nothing to get it. This gta is geared around money so the object is to get it fast and then take over Los Santos or take it back from the assholes running the city. That would be awesome.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

I want somebody who is forced by circumstances into the life and have things start out in survival mode but as the game progresses he rises to power. If they want to get dark and serious sort of bring up the point that he was never able to reach that level as an honest and hardworking man.

deHeemskerker
  • deHeemskerker

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

I'd like to be a Robert De Niro style mobster in GTA V or a cool, tough Clint Eastwood type of criminal.

Capricornus
  • Capricornus

R.I.P Zee -_-

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:51 PM

QUOTE (Gtaghost22 @ Monday, Mar 19 2012, 10:35)
I want the hispanicc guy to be the protagonist.. and i want him to start as a gang member that will eventually take over Los Santos. souns good right?

I would like for the hispanic guy to be the protagonist as well, or the other guy. However, that gang member thing would just seems stale at this point man.

I just want the protag to be a person that takes no sh*t and one that isn't easily manipulated.

UberChargedCJ
  • UberChargedCJ

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

character customization and choosing the gender of protag

Hydro_PlayboyX
  • Hydro_PlayboyX

#TeamFranklin

• Members

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE (UberChargedCJ @ Monday, Mar 19 2012, 16:33)
character customization and choosing the gender of protag

this is not saints row.

on topic: i want the protag who is in his early 30s(but some serious guy, not some douche), bodybuilder(but not steroid junkie),freelance criminal who gathers his crew troughout storyline

FAP-ALL-DAYYYYYY
  • FAP-ALL-DAYYYYYY

OG Fap

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:02 PM

gangsta like the beginning of san andreas and keep it like that

PLEASE NO OLD WHITE GUY WITH KIDS NONONONONONO

Doo
  • Doo

Eat it!

• Members

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:07 PM

A fat, old man who's trying to lose some weight, so he joined the crime life because he knew he would have to run, jump and roll so he didn't need to pay an academy.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Roygbiv

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:19 PM

I want a number of different outfits so I can assume different roles and personas when I'm f*cking around free-roaming. Some times I like dressing as a bum, driving a sh*tty car, going around as a serial killer. Other times I'm like a mob guy etc.

Lot of fun! I don't want the clothes to be restricted to the characters story personality because I dress my character accordingly to the storyline already.

I the badlands missions in San Andreas I wore the camouflage and green hunting jacket so as to blend in the the country theme and rednecks and not to stick out like a sore thumb.

So the thing is really choice. Give us the choice, Rockstar. Please don't restrict us.

r0eladn
  • r0eladn

Big Homie

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:40 PM

The protag should have a 3rd nipple.

6 toes on his right foot.

speaks with a microphone on his neck.

has full body tourette (as seen in the movie Crank 2)

HydraulicWaRiOr
  • HydraulicWaRiOr

L'oiseau bleu

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:54 PM

QUOTE (puttbutt @ Monday, Mar 19 2012, 10:57)
I want him to be a conflicted family man, who's instinct to provide for his loved ones drives a mental block between his personal life and the horrendous things he has to do to keep that personal life afloat, creating within him sociopathic tendencies a la Breaking Bad or The Sopranos.

It'd be a good way to create a character who's dark and troubled, but at the same time doesn't come off as being whiny, because when he's around friends or family he's experienced with not letting his inner turmoil show.

user posted image

There you go!

Sean5
  • Sean5

Erin go Braugh

• Members

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:56 PM

QUOTE (Doo @ Monday, Mar 19 2012, 23:07)
A fat, old man who's trying to lose some weight, so he joined the crime life because he knew he would have to run, jump and roll so he didn't need to pay an academy.

LOL. This icon14.gif icon14.gif icon14.gif

grope_4_that_date
  • grope_4_that_date

Future Moderator

• Members
  • None
  • Best Fan Art 2012
    Most Improved 2012
    Topic of the Year 2011 "GTA V Screenshot Fun"

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:45 AM

I'd like to see a customizable character. Clothes in San Andreas really added playability for me. When I changed CJ's clothes and haircut, it's almost like I added a little bit of myself to his character. It made it a lot easier to connect to him.

Cole Phelps Gta
  • Cole Phelps Gta

#HEEL

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:56 AM

I want to play as a Heel AND A BIT OFF A SHOWOFF !!!!! I'm not talking about a complete Dolph ziggler rip off. But if we could pull chicks and have his charisma i'd be very happy

MrcTOtheJ
  • MrcTOtheJ

Ah yes 'Heists' we have dismissed these claims

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:09 AM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Monday, Mar 19 2012, 03:19)
If he's Ned Luke I hope he has a past similar to Niko, but the drive and ambition for success of Tommy. Basically he uses his past as fuel to take the city down.

Tommy had ambition, but wasn't deep enough. Niko was deep, but had no ambition for success. We had CJ I suppose, but he always felt like he was pushed into becoming the top dog. He had no other choice.

I'd love to see an extensive background with some darkness, but the drive to over come it all and bring LS down to its knees.

This is allong the lines of what I was going to post.

Someone wanting to make a better life for him self, maybe go on and start a family (I don't see why people thinks the Ned Luke guy has one allready to me it sounded like he wanted to but it didn't happen), but when that won't happen due to various reasons, he goes off and takes the oprotunity to start an Empire. Also a bit of professionalism, you know nicely dressed, and good at what he dose. (Then again most GTA protags fit the good at when they do bill and nicely dressed is upto the player)

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Roygbiv

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE (Mr.c TO the J @ Tuesday, Mar 20 2012, 02:09)
QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Monday, Mar 19 2012, 03:19)

This is allong the lines of what I was going to post.

Someone wanting to make a better life for him self, maybe go on and start a family (I don't see why people thinks the Ned Luke guy has one allready to me it sounded like he wanted to but it didn't happen), but when that won't happen due to various reasons, he goes off and takes the oprotunity to start an Empire. Also a bit of professionalism, you know nicely dressed, and good at what he dose. (Then again most GTA protags fit the good at when they do bill and nicely dressed is upto the player)

I don't want his background too much in the foreground. There has to be some guessing. Some mysteriousness. I don't really want his past spelled out so obviously as in IV. If he has psychological issues, fine but show them subtly through this thought process and actions. Basically I Niko's story was simple revenge. He'd risk his life a million times to settle a score with someone who f*cked him over. Its a simple story that isn't really deep at all. A good revenge story in a film I've seen would be Dead Man's Shoes. Check it out, it's brilliant.

I preferred a story about inter-personal relationships. A story like The Wire or The Sopranos. The politics of of how people work/don't work together, family disfunction, corruption in the system.

The Sopranos, is a good example of character development I'd like to see. I don't want the protag to be too outspoken like Niko. He was always speaking his mind in a rather depressing and sombre manner. Nobody likes to hang out with a depresso, it's not entertaining and it doesn't make them deep.

Some times less is more. For example, more recently the film Drive, the protag didn't say much. It kept you guessing, who is this guy. I can't hate him if he's not saying much. I want to know him more. Niko was always expressing himself. That's fine if you like what he's talking about. But if you don't, well...

It sounds like I'm being a little harsh on Niko. I guess I'm just critical. It's because I love GTA so much. I want it to suceeed. It's not a put down. I think I did the same with CJ when S.A. was out but after going back to S.A. I started to understand CJ. Despite the over-the-topness that seems to be more over-the-top since IV came out by contrast - I don't think people really thought S.A. was as over-the-top at the time as they do now.

Niko is great and he does have some charm to him. I'd say he'd be a nice guy if you got to know him.

I just hope our new character will be have a bit of mystery with him. Maybe be a little more ballsy, a little less moral and a little bit dark with some conflicting character traits.

If you guys could base the new character off anyone in a T.V. show or film. Who would it be?

I reckon Tony Soprano. He had issues with his mother and was seeing a psychologist which is obviously a big no-no in the mafia. He was as human as a human could be. Yet he was a cold killer and a great boss. Under all the toughness, he struggled with his family relationsips. His mother psychologically bullied him and his had a profound effect on his personality. This could have helped him become who he is in the show but it also causes him blackouts, depression and anxiety. Managing that, his home family life and he work family made for some very entertaining and compelling viewing.

Triple Vacuum Seal
  • Triple Vacuum Seal

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:45 PM Edited by canttakemyid, 20 March 2012 - 04:01 PM.

Military experience is a must again in order to somewhat explain the ability to do the things a GTA protagonist does.

*Answer to the question in the above post (spoiler alerts): Walter White (Heisenberg) from Breaking Bad.

Him with military experience would be perfect. People love a character that has a constant underdog persona on the surface. People are always underestimating him. He often seems timid, passive, and easy to f*ck over and then BOOM, he does something crazy (sometimes in a subtle way). He looks like he has a sheltered background w/ loving family but still ends up being one of the biggest and most dangerous (only to other criminals) crime figures in the American Southwest. I also like how he is subtle when doing things like arranging the deaths of cartel affiliates and major criminals.

ChillyPhilly
  • ChillyPhilly

Rock 'n' roll stops the traffic.

• Members

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

Some of these suggestions are both great, and hilarious! Keep 'em coming.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users