» «
Photo

Android 5'' Touch Mp3

21 replies to this topic
corvettelover
  • corvettelover

Still D.R.E.

• Members

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:56 PM Edited by corvettelover, 18 March 2012 - 03:58 PM.

http://www.amazon.co...A/ref=de_a_smtd

How good is it? Specs? What games can it run? GTA3? NFS?

Doesn't matter too much as I ordered it for my car but it would be neat to play some games on it.

$59 for a 5 inch android device that does everything except WiFi seems really good.

user posted image What brand is it? All i see on the Amazon page is "All Land Networking" but that doesn't bring anything up on google. Also what game is that?

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

...I will very carefully explain to you why it cannot be.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:58 PM

Depends on processor speed. My Android has 700 Mhz and lags in GTA III, so for that price I doubt it.

corvettelover
  • corvettelover

Still D.R.E.

• Members

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

I found what I think were specs for it..256mb ram and a 1ghz processor. Dont know where the link is though.

Could it be this cheap because of no internet capability and older android version?

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:14 PM

Things I question about this....
Who makes it? I don't see any kind of a name on it other than Player where the "a" is a play button icon. That doesn't tell me anything.
It comes with Android v2.1 but can it be upgraded? Don't assume it can and certainly don't assume it can be upgraded to Gingerbread (2.3.x) or Honeycomb (3.x). Note that GTA3 for Android requires v2.2 and up to play.
No Wifi isn't the only thing it's lacking, no cell service or GPS.

This is nothing more than a cheap, most likely Chinese made, big ass media play that happens to be able to run Android at least to some degree.
Don't just look at the 4 reviews but also read the comments to those reviews. Just like what I saw of people that bought that cheap knock off iPhone 4 (Phone 4 or Airphone 4 in some cases) some times they got it work at least once the go to charge it and it never works again.

Side note: I'm so glad I don't have to deal with the Android market. When I looked up NFS, there was 3 different ones for Shift with 3 different prices and 2 different OS requirements. The 2 cheaper ones just said "varies with device" and the $10 one says it'll support Android 1.6 but I'm not believing that.

corvettelover
  • corvettelover

Still D.R.E.

• Members

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:58 AM

The brand is All Land Networking and I found its page:

Android 5in Touch 8gb

Says it has "high quality samsung chips"

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:56 AM Edited by finn4life, 22 March 2012 - 06:01 AM.

It is A rip off of the Samsung galaxy player 5".
Do not purchase it.

Edited to avoid confusion again.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:50 PM

After looking at that site I'm even more sure that you shouldn't waste your money on this.
The images could have been found online, stock images type of thing.
There is nothing on the Downloads page, every decent company as some kind of file for each product even if it's just a PDF version of the manual.
The Feedback page looks like a joke as well. People involved in sales are not going to use such a page to get information from a company and even if they did they wouldn't use such piss poor spelling and grammar even if their English was bad there is no excuse for misspellings like "traiding" and use for txtmsg shorthand, then there is the fact that so many of these "salesmen" are using Hotmail for their email address. They have a contact page with information on how to reach them, a real salesmen would use that not a some stupid feedback page.
The last nitpick item I have is the Copyright date says 112. For the most part their English is just fine, but that's not to say they didn't steal it from someone else too, but then they go and screw that up. Makes me wonder.

corvettelover
  • corvettelover

Still D.R.E.

• Members

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:53 PM

Well, its already on its way. Has a 1 year warranty from the Amazon seller. So its basically an older rebadged Samsung?

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Sunday, Mar 18 2012, 21:56)
It is the samsung galaxy player and they retail for a similar price to an ipod touch and have similar capabilities judging by how cheap this is its a fake I think.
do not purchase it.

It most definitely is NOT a Samsung product.

Assuming the picture is bullsh*t, judging by the hand that would be, assuming scale is correct, 1 inch wide, you're in for a surprise. A 1Ghz processor can decently run Android 2.1, but if they provide any overlay like what appears to be pictures it'll likely bog it down. Combined with 256MB of RAM, you'll find yourself getting lock ups frequently. Android is a RAM hog and a quarter gig is hardly enough for running anything other than core apps and other simpler ones from the market. Don't think for a second something like GTA III would run, it'll probably crash running Angry Birds. The fact that it has no wifi capabilities means you won't have the market. It likely won't even have core Android apps. Just some preloaded ones that don't utilize data in anyway along with possibly some poorly coded ones from the manufacturer. You'll have to side load everything through a computer, and even then a lot of apps won't load without data.

For $60, you probably won't feel swindled. Just don't expect any significantly thorough experience. This is definitely a case where you get what you pay for.

corvettelover
  • corvettelover

Still D.R.E.

• Members

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:02 PM

Well, the main reason I got it is for my car, so it should be great in that respect.

Hopefully its not a total pos and can do some other things as well.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:52 AM

Yeah I'm still confused about that. What good is this in a car? Other than to give to kids to shut them up, that is until it quits working, I don't see much use in a big ass media player.

corvettelover
  • corvettelover

Still D.R.E.

• Members

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:20 AM

QUOTE (Wolf68k @ Thursday, Mar 22 2012, 00:52)
Yeah I'm still confused about that. What good is this in a car? Other than to give to kids to shut them up, that is until it quits working, I don't see much use in a big ass media player.

.......So I can use it to play music in my car instead of burning cd's?

I can use my phone for that but its a pain in the ass.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:59 AM Edited by finn4life, 22 March 2012 - 06:05 AM.

QUOTE (Pico @ Thursday, Mar 22 2012, 07:58)
QUOTE (finn4life @ Sunday, Mar 18 2012, 21:56)
It is the samsung galaxy player and they retail for a similar price to an ipod  touch and have similar capabilities judging by how cheap this is its a fake I think.
do not purchase it.

It most definitely is NOT a Samsung product.

I made my sentence the wrong way around, i typed it on my phone so... but i did say it was a fake, and by that i meant it was a rip-off of the galaxy 5" music player.
I am an avid Samsung fan, so i wouldn't make such a silly mistake.

@The op, silly purchase, the English on the page was horrid that should have been a giveaway, wouldn't be surprised if this thing never arrived.
For $60 you could have gone in store and bought a decent music player from a proper brand thaat has proper music playing capabilities.
Not some piece of sh*t no name SUPA PLAYER!

corvettelover
  • corvettelover

Still D.R.E.

• Members

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:02 AM

Actually it already came and its actually nice and works great. Plays HD videos great (had some on it) and other stuff.

Plays music great as well.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:13 PM

Keep us updated on your progress with it.
See if you can update the Android OS too.

corvettelover
  • corvettelover

Still D.R.E.

• Members

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE (Wolf68k @ Saturday, Mar 24 2012, 15:13)
Keep us updated on your progress with it.
See if you can update the Android OS too.

How would I do that? Find a later version and put it on the SD and hit the update button in the settings?

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:49 PM

Updating Android isn't that simple. You need to have an update made for the specific device, whether it's official or community made. I doubt the company would bother supporting it at all and the community probably doesn't even care about this device.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:04 PM

I thought I had read, or see on a show, where you can get the Android OS without having to go through the maker of the device.
I found this, not sure if it'll help or not http://source.android.com/

As for how to get it on your device, heck if I know. Is there a cable to sync it with your desktop? How do you install apps, or can you?

corvettelover
  • corvettelover

Still D.R.E.

• Members

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:46 AM

QUOTE (Wolf68k @ Sunday, Mar 25 2012, 23:04)
I thought I had read, or see on a show, where you can get the Android OS without having to go through the maker of the device.
I found this, not sure if it'll help or not http://source.android.com/

As for how to get it on your device, heck if I know. Is there a cable to sync it with your desktop? How do you install apps, or can you?

It came with a app to install apps and came with a usb cable.

What should I try to update to? Newest or like 2.3 or something?

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:42 AM

That's merely the source code for the Android Operating System. It doesn't include the necessary drivers to actually make it work with the hardware you're trying to put it on. It's not as simple as compiling the source code and then chucking on the device.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

Yeah my bad. What caught my eye thought was under Get Compatible->Downloads->Android <version> Compatibility Test Suite
I thought maybe if is an app you can install (again, I've never used Android) and it'll run on the device to see if it's compatible with that version.

Honestly corvettelover I think you would be better off asking in an Android forum. You might even be able to find someone that has your same device.
There has to be at least a few more of you suckers owners out there. lol.gif

corvettelover
  • corvettelover

Still D.R.E.

• Members

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:44 AM

Nah it aint that big a deal, I just got it because I wanted to try android, it has a sd card slot and wanted something for my car. Honestly its much better than expected though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users