Photo

GTA IV Lag/Graphic problem with HP Pavilion DV6

25 replies to this topic
Riqitch8
  • Riqitch8

Chillin'

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:25 PM Edited by Riqitch8, 21 March 2012 - 06:07 AM.

Hey guys,

So I have an HP with and Intel graphics card and a AMD Radeon 7470M in my HP. When I use the Intel, it is very laggy. But with the AMD, it like slows down then goes back to normal every now and again. The text on the AMD is like its really soft. I have installed the latest driver from the HP website and AMD's site as well. It doesn't seem to work.

Any help will be appreciated. It's very annoying.

AMD Radeon HD 7470M
and/or Intel Graphics 3000
Intel Core i7 2670QM 2.20GHz
8GB RAM/ 1GB VRAM
1TB Hard Drive space
Windows 7 Home Premium
Patch 1.0.7.0

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:39 AM

1. laptops are usually not made for gaming
2. since GTAIV is goddamn demanding it tends to produce large amounts of heat and that makes it even less prone to run normally on laptops

Additionally, inconsistent performance is something GTAIV likes to deliver so it's hard to suggest anything specific. Do you have a 64bit OS installed? Is your OS in normal working condition? Do you have a large number of background applications running? Using memrestrict can help sometimes.

Riqitch8
  • Riqitch8

Chillin'

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

Thanks for your reply. Yes it is a 64-bit OS. I've only got a few (like one or two) running in the background. The OS is in perfect condition.

I've looked at other threads that have the same problem. They say that it's something to do with the frames, I've also tried googling (best amd drivers for gta iv) and I've tried the suggested catalyst drivers, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I am currently using memrestrict in my commandline.

Any suggestions?

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:53 AM

1. laptops are usually not made for gaming

^^^
I'm afraid that part is not true, as all 3 of my laptops I had do A LOT better at gaming than either one of my 2 desktops(my old one) and my current one ever have...For Example, I was able to run SA quite well on my XP Home laptop, however, my old XP Home desktop would not even run it...So, in my experience, laptops have done quite well at gaming. So, Why people always bring that up is beyond me? Just curious? confused.gif

On-Topic: It is more than likely due to over heating of the laptop...either that, OR the game is trying to use the Intel video card, instead of the ATI one-to check, right-click the ATI icon in the task bar and see which one it is set to(the Power-saving GPU OR the High Performance GPU)-The Power saving GPU is the Intel card and the High Performance one is the ATI Radeon one. This is a new feature with the Intel I3, I5, and I7 processors-they have an Intel card on-board and certain model PC's have an extra card-either ATI OR Nvidia(Intel usually have ATI cards and AMD usually use Nvidia cards)-at least that is the trend I have seen on computers when I checked Wal-Mart.com the other day-lol tounge2.gif However, some PC's just have the Intel card and NO ATI/Nvidia card...

Riqitch8
  • Riqitch8

Chillin'

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:53 AM

I have checked and it is on ATi- High-Performance GPU. I even set the BIOS to the ATi, I am definitely sure the ATi is working because I use GPU-Z. This exact same problem happens on my Brother's computer, he also has an ATi card.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:15 AM

Those processors have integrated GPUs which aren't really made for gaming, only 2D stuff. The problem with GTAIV is that it fails on regular basis to detect the discrete GPU and there are really no measures to counter the issue.

Usually, if the game doesn't use the discrete GPU then you get the very low memory limit in the game settings screen and in that case you can at least partially bypass the issue by using norestrictions and nomemrestrict.

Riqitch8
  • Riqitch8

Chillin'

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:33 AM Edited by Riqitch8, 20 March 2012 - 06:26 PM.

That's wierd. My cousin who has a NVIDIA card with a i5 runs IV at 40 fps. It really annoys me that i7's SEEM are slower than i5's. I repeat again. Is there anyway to fix this problem!?

YankeesPwnMets
  • YankeesPwnMets

More Betterer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:16 AM

i7? Slower then an i5? Forget it. Your mind is playing games on you. This isn't even a CPU issue, its a GPU issue.

Usually, if the game doesn't use the discrete GPU then you get the very low memory limit in the game settings screen and in that case you can at least partially bypass the issue by using norestrictions and nomemrestrict.

http://www.gtaforums...opic=504176&hl=
If you're still using that crack, get rid of it as well.

If your cousin is using a desktop i5, well no duh its going to be faster then the mobile i7. If its a laptop, then my guess is that he has a stronger GPU. A i5 + stronger GPU is better then i7 + weaker GPU in games.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:34 AM Edited by radioman, 21 March 2012 - 03:55 AM.

Usually, if the game doesn't use the discrete GPU then you get the very low memory limit in the game settings screen

Something that confuses me about that one-which I don't see how that is, as on most Intel cards, the available vram is usually higher than a discrete video card-I mean, my computer has an Intel I5 Quad core processor, and an AMD Radeon HD video card w/512mb vram and also has an Intel HD card with 3216mb vram(according to the DXDIAG page)-If I understand it right, the 3216mb is the Intel card and the 512mb is the ATI card? Which would mean that the total vram is over 3GB, so why can it not be used in games? Here's proof of that, I think?user posted image Notice how it says the vram is 3216mb, yet the vram for the ATI card is 512mb and yet IV shows 1240mb vram, instead of 3216mb that the DXDIAG page shows-here's proof of that: user posted image And Here's proof that Intel Video cards can have Dedicated vram and not Shared vram-from my XP Pro PC-user posted image Just curious on that one? confused.gif

Note: I checked the screenshots, and none of then stretch the page-and this is on a 17.3" laptop monitor...So, there is no page stretches...lol

First, if you want to increase fraps, download Gamebooster and upgrade your PC. Fraps depend upon CPU and i3 comes under minimum. You need to upgrade your PC to i7 or i5 and it should work. If still it lags, buy all parts for recommended.

What are you talking about?-I have an I5 Quad core and the OP has a I7, so where are you getting I3 from? Just curious? confused.gif

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

Women and Wine

• Members
  • India

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:50 AM

Why don't you try this?

First, if you want to increase fraps, download Gamebooster and upgrade your PC. Fraps depend upon CPU and i3 comes under minimum. You need to upgrade your PC to i7 or i5 and it should work. If still it lags, buy all parts for recommended.

Riqitch8
  • Riqitch8

Chillin'

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:53 AM Edited by Riqitch8, 21 March 2012 - 06:05 AM.

If your cousin is using a desktop i5, well no duh its going to be faster then the mobile i7. If its a laptop, then my guess is that he has a stronger GPU. A i5 + stronger GPU is better then i7 + weaker GPU in games.

It's a mobile i5. Thanks for the pics radioman, I kinda makes sense. I don't why IV is giving us gamers a truck-load of problems. I'm using the Intel now, it's much better. I recently took a benchmark of the Intel:

Statistics
Average FPS: 23.40
Duration: 37.35 sec
CPU Usage: 14%
System memory usage: 49%
Video memory usage: 80%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1366 x 768 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: High
Shadow Quality: Medium
Reflection Resolution: Medium
Water Quality: Medium
Texture Filter Quality: Anisotropic x4
Night Shadows: Off
View Distance: 25
Detail Distance: 31

Hardware
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: Intel® HD Graphics Family
Video Driver version: 8.17.10.1091
Audio Adapter: Speakers and Headphones (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC)
Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz

File ID: Benchmark.cli

Hope that helps. bored.gif

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:36 AM

You have a problem of your GPU not being detected properly.

Riqitch8
  • Riqitch8

Chillin'

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE (mkey82 @ Wednesday, Mar 21 2012, 06:36)
You have a problem of your GPU not being detected properly.

How would I fix this? Do I have to reinstall Windows?

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE (mkey82 @ Tuesday, Mar 20 2012, 08:15)
Those processors have integrated GPUs which aren't really made for gaming, only 2D stuff. The problem with GTAIV is that it fails on regular basis to detect the discrete GPU and there are really no measures to counter the issue.

You should read and don't ask redundant questions.

Riqitch8
  • Riqitch8

Chillin'

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE (mkey82 @ Wednesday, Mar 21 2012, 16:34)
QUOTE (mkey82 @ Tuesday, Mar 20 2012, 08:15)

You should read and don't ask redundant questions.

From what I read. It seems like the contact from the OS to the ATi is not working.

Various other threads say uninstall drivers using Driver Sweeper and rebooting. Then install the latest ATi driver. That didn't work for me. Some say install older ones because GTA IV may not be familiar with the latest drivers, that's irrelevant. So I installed ones like 10.7 WHQL or some of the beta drivers from sites like BenchMark 3D or Guru3D. That didn't work either. For some reason, the ATi doesn't even like simple programs like Windows Live Movie Maker. Just like IV, the text is all distorted. This time it's worst.

I think the only solution is to reinstall windows and start again. That could fix it.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:36 PM

Here's how to Change the video card for "Switchable Graphics" PC's that have an ATI card:

That's the problem you seem to be having-it is using the Intel card and not your ATI card...

Riqitch8
  • Riqitch8

Chillin'

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:13 PM Edited by Riqitch8, 21 March 2012 - 06:28 PM.

QUOTE (radioman @ Wednesday, Mar 21 2012, 17:36)
Here's how to Change the video card for "Switchable Graphics" PC's that have an ATI card:

Off Topic: Nice YTube channel you've got there. I've subbed.

On Topic: So your basically saying that it's using both at the same time? I never though of that. Thanks for the video but I've already done that, even in the bios. Here's the benchmark for the ATi on IV:

Statistics
Average FPS: 21.95
Duration: 36.90 sec
CPU Usage: 17%
System memory usage: 41%
Video memory usage: 89%

Graphics Settings
Shadow Quality: High
Reflection Resolution: High
Water Quality: High
Texture Filter Quality: Anisotropic x4
Detail Distance: 31

Hardware
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: AMD Radeon HD 6400M Series - That's the problem. Some of the ATi drivers rename the video card from 7470M to 6400M series.
Video Driver version: 8.17.10.1119

File ID: Benchmark.cli

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:49 PM

No, it is not using both at the same time-the problem seems to be(judging by your benchmark where it says Intel for the Video card), it is using the Power Saving GPU(the Intel card) instead of the High Performance GPU( the ATI card)...As I showed in the video, you have to make sure the ATI Radeon card is enabled as the default card(basically make sure you are using the High Performance GPU and not the Power Saving GPU)...Hope that made sense?

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:51 PM

I don't think this a general windows problem and a fresh installation does not hold much promise. This problem demands another GTAIV update, but they just don't care enough.

Riqitch8
  • Riqitch8

Chillin'

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:05 PM

It did make sense radioman. I deliberately benchmarked both of them (not simultaneously) in IV to see the difference. The problem is that I can't use the ATi without switching the video cards form Dynamic (meaning both Intel and ATi) to Fixed (meaning just the ATi) in the BIOS.

In Fixed mode, I can change the video cards from Power-Saving to High-Performance.
In Dynamic mode, when I switch GTAIV.exe to High-Perfomance, it will crash without showing the starting text. When I switch, LaunchGTAIV.exe to High-Performance, it will say the same error with the secuROM Launcher not working.
When I put both of them on Hi-Performace, the game will crash while the text is changing.

I have to play with the BIOS on Dynamic to play GTA IV properly.

unc13bud
  • unc13bud

Weekend Answerer

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:27 AM

do you have any options for video configuration within the boot menu? what are they?

Riqitch8
  • Riqitch8

Chillin'

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

No I don't think so.

Riqitch8
  • Riqitch8

Chillin'

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:31 PM Edited by Riqitch8, 05 April 2012 - 01:44 PM.

Sorry for breaking the rules by not writing on my previous post. This is urgent, I had to do it.

So I went out and tried the ATi on other games like San Andreas (Same problem), DiRT3 (Can only play it in windowed mode) and Episodes From Liberty City (Works like IV). Yes, I can afford these games.

I fixed the text problem with being distorted. On Catalyst Control Center: Morphological filtering was on. The same problem still persists, the stuttering. These games play on full FPS, but its superior gameplay is interrupted by the stuttering.

I benchmarked the ATi on ELFC:

TBoGT:
Statistics
Average FPS: 19.51
Duration: 32.55 sec
CPU Usage: 23%
System memory usage: 37%
Video memory usage: 65%

Graphics Settings
Texture Filter Quality: Anisotropic x2
Detail Distance: 25

Hardware
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: Radeon ™ HD 7470M

File ID: TBoGT-Benchmark.cli

I have not benchmarked TLAD yet.

TLAD:
Statistics
Average FPS: 22.74
Duration: 36.59 sec
CPU Usage: 22%
System memory usage: 35%
Video memory usage: 68%

Graphics Settings
Texture Filter Quality: Anisotropic x2
Detail Distance: 25

Hardware
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: Radeon ™ HD 7470M

File ID: TLAD-Benchmark.cli

I have used the latest Catalyst Control Center and drivers for these benchmarks.

perotorca
  • perotorca

Searching For Effects And Much More

• Members

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:15 PM Edited by perotorca, 20 April 2012 - 10:19 PM.

[FONT=Impact][SIZE=14][COLOR=red] biggrin.gif Manufacturer: System manufacturer
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Hard Drive: 122 GB
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5670
Monitor:
Sound Card: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Speakers Headphones:
Keyboard: USB Root Hub
Mouse: USB Root Hub
Mouse Surface:
Operation System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.110622-1503)
Motherboard:
Computer Case:
GTA IV MY PROBLEM ITS MODED I DOWNLOADED I THINK CORRUPT FILE GTA IV FINAL MOD IS CALLED
When I drive the car back a little backwards

Riqitch8
  • Riqitch8

Chillin'

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:17 AM

QUOTE (perotorca @ Friday, Apr 20 2012, 22:15)

GTA IV MY PROBLEM ITS MODED I DOWNLOADED I THINK CORRUPT FILE GTA IV FINAL MOD IS CALLED
When I drive the car back a little backwards

What the hell did you just say? Does it do this when you haven't got this mod installed?

MeapydayCax
  • MeapydayCax

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:22 PM

Thanks vinyl-junkie, but I already tried this solution without success. And there it still does not change anything.

I also checked all path and parameters in udm-custom.ini, udm-dom.php and udm-style.php. but nothing done

This problem breaks my head but it will have to solve it

Do I found a bug between Firefox 2 and UDM4 unwittingly?

No other ideas?
Thanks to you anyway.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users