Photo

Why do people say IV is boring?

77 replies to this topic
aldisdzerve
  • aldisdzerve

PetrolHead

• Members

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:28 AM

I really really think that Grand Theft Auto IV - is GREATEST game i have EVER played so far....
And i had played games for long time.. I mean i bought GTA1 when it come out in 1997.. Have played every GTA to date and GTA-IV is my favorite!!!
Lost and Damned was really good too!
But Ballade of Gay Tony felt really bad. Didn't like that game at all...
I hope that GTA-V will be like IV - i mean i hope it will be all serious and with deep story.. And i don't care about jetpacks, parachute, and all that crap...
To me GTA favorite part of GTAs is deep story!
And i enjoy playing with very little crimes committed..
Like with kill number below 50 at end of story, 0 people killed with car, etc...
I don't know why other people like to do mass rapages, and random kills...
Like i usually keep just regular pistol in my weapon inventory..
To me GTAIV is best game i have EVER played!
I really really love it!
And i hope that V will be very similar to IV!

Florz
  • Florz

Freak on a Leash

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:36 AM

Because they wanted something like San Andreas. But they don't understand that its R*'s dead if they would make every game the same. They don't get that. GTA IV is different as Vice City, 3 and San Andreas. That's what most of the people who hate it call "boring". Or just people who never played it and such CoD loving kids. Real Adults keep their mind on facts, and facts is, that GTA IV is not boring. Take a look at the marketing statistics. If this game would be boring, it would not be in the World Record Book for the most sold copies ever.

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE (Florz @ Sunday, Apr 8 2012, 22:36)
If this game would be boring, it would not be in the World Record Book for the most sold copies ever.

Quite insightful. icon14.gif

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:30 PM Edited by Official General, 08 April 2012 - 01:34 PM.

QUOTE (Florz @ Sunday, Apr 8 2012, 09:36)
Take a look at the marketing statistics. If this game would be boring, it would not be in the World Record Book for the most sold copies ever.

You do realize that GTA IV broke world records in games sales, mostly because of the massive hype and anticipation it generated before it actually got released right ? In other words, most people who bought it at the time it came out, had not yet played it, so how would you have known for sure whether they found it boring or not ? How are you so sure that many of the people who initially bought it, did not like it and simply re-sold it ? Huge sales for a video game title does not automatically mean that the video game is also a huge critical success and that everyone likes it. Your comment there does sound quite dumb.

And not everybody who finds GTA IV boring wants it to be like San Andreas, that is a very common misconception coming from die-hard fans of IV. Like myself, many still really like IV, we just felt disappointed at the same time that it could have been much better. Many of IV's critics just felt that Rockstar could have added much more to IV to make it a bit more fun and interesting than it turned out to be. Like I said, GTA IV is a great game, but I will admit at the same time that were moments when it got repetitive and was lacking in variety, so I can understand when some people say its boring (although I don't think it's boring myself for most part).

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Goodfella

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:43 PM

See I think people like Official General are diamonds in the rough. I always listen him because his criticisms are note worthy however I've felt the smart critics of GTA IV are outnumbered by the tools who bash it for the sake of doing so.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

I'm back as a changed man.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE (Deadly Target @ Sunday, Mar 18 2012, 08:56)
its not like there is a sleep mode option on ur phone that u can turn on to disable incoming calls, so it gets really annoying!!

Actually there is a sleep mode in the options,however it holds up the story until you disable it.

Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:03 PM

GTA IV is the best game in the series. I will never understand why people hate it so much.

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:09 PM Edited by Official General, 10 April 2012 - 01:20 PM.

QUOTE (Niko Vercetti 112 @ Tuesday, Apr 10 2012, 12:03)
GTA IV is the best game in the series. I will never understand why people hate it so much.

I don't think those people you speak of hate it so much, there is more to it than that.

Read my earlier posts and you will get a better understanding of what the situation is.

@ Miami

Thanks bro!

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Goodfella

• Australia

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE (theomenofficial @ Tuesday, Apr 10 2012, 22:55)
QUOTE (Deadly Target @ Sunday, Mar 18 2012, 08:56)
its not like there is a sleep mode option on ur phone that u can turn on to disable incoming calls, so it gets really annoying!!

Actually there is a sleep mode in the options,however it holds up the story until you disable it.

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic when he wrote that.

Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:11 AM

It became boring because they focused on realism yet it was no where close to realism. I dont mean realism by not being able to hold 8 guns on you, but the basics like 5 seats in the heli but only room for 4, or trailers all around the city that can be moved, or even a car moving at 30mph but not really 30mph and cant go over 78mph and higher. If they made where you can have fun without the missions playing 8hrs a day till the next gta, then you will have a game that will never be boring till its dying days.

Above
  • Above

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:13 AM

I have been wondering this too. GTA IV is one of the greatest games ever and overall it's awesome fun. I see what the critics mean but I think the improved realism made the game better in every aspect.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:39 PM

I like the realism. It is literally like playing a gangster flick and immersing yourself in the underworld. Saints Row is good and all but I don't want to spray poop on people in a GTA game. The friends did get annoying and I hope planes return in V but other than that it is a great game.

markusizr
  • markusizr

:D

• Members

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

people in real life are []

Redketman
  • Redketman

Hustler

• Members

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:15 AM

Meh. I actually thought this realism thing only made things "worse". Don't get my wrong though. GTA IV might be the best game for the PS3 and it sure isn't boring. But I kind of liked the way you drove the car in the old GTA Games, the old wanted system and the ability to fly jets and all that stuff in SA. I don't know if it's just me, but overall I thought a game like SA was a more revolutionary game than GTA IV. The game had so many new features at the time and it was a HUGE game. Furthermore, my biggest "complain" about GTA IV is that the game is set in Liberty City/New York and that's a very personal "complain" since I think many people like cities like New York. I missed the countryside, the mountains, and the deserts though. I also think that GTA fans who have been playing the games for many years like games like GTA III and Vice City since they have some nostalgia these days. Let's face it, it might be hard to eventually think that every new GTA game will be superior than the last one.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Goodfella

• Australia

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:36 AM

QUOTE (Redketman @ Tuesday, Apr 17 2012, 18:15)
Meh. I actually thought this realism thing only made things "worse". Don't get my wrong though. GTA IV might be the best game for the PS3 and it sure isn't boring. But I kind of liked the way you drove the car in the old GTA Games, the old wanted system and the ability to fly jets and all that stuff in SA. I don't know if it's just me, but overall I thought a game like SA was a more revolutionary game than GTA IV. The game had so many new features at the time and it was a HUGE game. Furthermore, my biggest "complain" about GTA IV is that the game is set in Liberty City/New York and that's a very personal "complain" since I think many people like cities like New York. I missed the countryside, the mountains, and the deserts though. I also think that GTA fans who have been playing the games for many years like games like GTA III and Vice City since they have some nostalgia these days. Let's face it, it might be hard to eventually think that every new GTA game will be superior than the last one.

I wouldn't really call SA "revolutionary". It was an impressive game for its time, but it also had the benefit of 2 games before whereas GTA IV had to make the step into current gen GTA III did.

GTA IV isn't necessarily revolutionary either, but R* took the core of GTA and ultimately beefed it up instead of worrying about making it feature centric. You only have to look at RDR and how incredible it is and it's all thanks to what R* learned with GTA IV. MP3 is another GTA IV descendent in terms of the technology learned from GTA IV.

To this day however GTA IV is one of the most detailed games I've ever played. When you slow down and take in the world R* created it's hard to imagine it was created almost 4 years ago. Most games these days don't have half the detail GTA IV has. The only ones that really compare are games like RDR and LA Noire IMO.

At the end of the day SA and GTA IV were created with very different intentions in mind. SA was like the "big bang" after a build up from 1997 with GTA 1 and GTA IV was a reinvention or "back to square one".

DFW333
  • DFW333

Firefighter

• Members

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:38 AM

I was bored with it in the first couple hours of playing it. I finally got it just two weeks ago and have barely put in a full 24 hours of game time yet. Also there's no rewards for completing any of the odd jobs. No fire truck missions, no ambulance missions. Granted there is a vigilante type feature, but what do you get for it? You can go around killing pidgeons and earn some stupid virtual trophy for it...but no guns spawning in your safe houses. The nearest ground-level body armor from the initial spawn point is practically across the map.

In SA I had maxed out my money and had an weapons stash worthy of the world's largest army before I had even done my first story line mission and that was WITHOUT cheats or travelling the entire world multiple times to collect weapons over and over again. That's where the fun in SA was for me and that is just not here in this game. Also it seems like every 5 minutes Im being punished for not going out and doing things with any one of my contacts. I want to go blow up cars all by myself without risking losing a girlfriend or contact's benefits because of it. By the time you're done taking Roman out to play darts, Michelle is calling for you to do something with her...do that and Little Jacob calls you...do that and Roman calls you...repeat repeat repeat. And why the hell is bowling and darts in this game anyway? People seem to have forgotten they can actually go out and do those things for real.

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:15 AM Edited by Official General, 20 April 2012 - 11:44 AM.

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Tuesday, Apr 17 2012, 07:36)
To this day however GTA IV is one of the most detailed games I've ever played. When you slow down and take in the world R* created it's hard to imagine it was created almost 4 years ago. Most games these days don't have half the detail GTA IV has. The only ones that really compare are games like RDR and LA Noire IMO.

@ Miami

I 100 % agree with this icon14.gif

GTA IV is still one of most visually impressive and amazing games I have ever seen this generation. Liberty City in IV is the most realistic and detailed rendition of New York City I have ever seen in a video game. The detail in the game - everything from the buildings, structures, roads, streets, lighting, weather, peds, vehicles, human and vehicle physics etc, is simply incredible to see and watch. I too cannot believe that IV is four years old when I play it up to this day.

But at the same time, that is why is sometimes still feel disappointed with IV. The fact that Liberty City was a near-perfect re-creation of IV and considering how huge and detailed it was, there was much less features available than before in previous titles and also there was a lack of things to do within this, huge, near-perfect city environment, compared to VC and SA. That is one of the main causes of my disappointment, so big a place and so little to do for its size. I just feel that Rockstar 'wasted' the chance to make Liberty City in IV the penultimate GTA location.

Dr Kain
  • Dr Kain

Hustler

• Members

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:48 AM Edited by Dr Kain, 20 April 2012 - 04:04 AM.

QUOTE (Simon_V @ Saturday, Mar 17 2012, 23:55)
Why do people say IV is boring?

Because they are disappointed for NOT being a Over-The-Top-Action Game like San Andreas was, and I saw complaints about There is nothing to do, after the story.

My opinion: I think it's the best Grand Theft Auto game in the series, and there are plenty things u can do after the story and I love the realism they put into IV.

Which is funny because that is no different than any other GTA game. If you want something to do after the game, don't 100% it before you beat it.

Anyway, I love GTAIV. It is my favorite of the series, but now that I have taken the time to fully play Vice City (I'm at 95% complete), VC might be my favorite. You know, San Andreas was a great game, because the map was huge, but those missions were not fun at times when you had to go on the complete other side of the map, and if you died, having to redo every mission over. That was the best thing about Episodes from Liberty City, the mid-mission checkpoints. It is a shame we cannot just make it happen in all of the previous games, as it would help immensely.

With that said, after the epic ending RDR had, I am expecting a lot of out GTAV's ending.

The only thing I can really complain about GTAIV is the one thing it shares in common with all of the other games, the lackluster ending. It seems like no one knows how to properly end a GTA game, as every one of their endings have sucked and all I usually say is, "Really, I just went through all of that and this is what I got out of it?" At least in IV killing Jimmy as your final "boss" feels more satsifying that killing Dimitri at the end. Still, it makes no sense for Packie to not be with you in that ending.

For Florz, there are issues with your logic. Many games have sold extremely well only to find out they suck afterwards. Look at Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City. That game was the second top selling game of March, and yet, it is an utter piece of sh*t. But it had the Resident Evil name attached to it, most people know of Resident Evil through its terrible movies, and most people are in love with garbage like Call of Duty, and that is what this game was, Call of Duty set in Raccoon City, but in third person.

As for GTAIV, it also was the top selling game in the series because it was the first one to launch on both a Sony and Microsoft system at the same time. If I recall, III and VC came out a year later, as did San Andreas for the X-Box.

Which brings me to my final point. I say that any limitations the game had were because of the 360. The game could have easily taken advantage of a Blu-Ray disc. However, because they had to accomodate M$, they could not do anything byond the 9GBs of a DVD disc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users