School = Stress & Frustration

76 replies to this topic
DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:15 AM

QUOTE (Ronnyboy @ Wednesday, Mar 28 2012, 15:48)
QUOTE (Melchior @ Wednesday, Mar 28 2012, 01:10)
QUOTE (Ronnyboy @ Wednesday, Mar 28 2012, 15:21)
Me? I wanna be on the radio, but I'm not wasting 20k a year on school to make 22k a year when I get out.

Who says you need to go to university to be on the radio?

Most places here require either a very advanced skill in working with communications, just to become an intern. Sadly, the only way to get those skills is through College.

College is garbage. You'll learn everything you need when you're an intern or in an apprenticeship program. College is just a place to make connections. Jobs are very tough to get. "it's not about what you know - It's WHO you know" That is even more true today than ever because of the economy.

Relax, have fun, MAKE CONNECTIONS.

Boulevard
  • Boulevard

Rat

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:35 AM

You know what's really f*cked up? ..err actually, give me your opinion on this.

Co-worker; 20 year old, spend his high school days studying hard, getting B's and C's, having little to no-time to have fun, great attendance, graduate, now working at a warehouse making $10.00 an hour.

Myself; 20 year old, spend my high school days partying, skipping class, having fun, bad attendance, dropout, undergraduate, now working at a warehouse making $11.00 an hour. Now attending classes for $125 to get a G.E.D

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:50 AM

That says that high-school grades don't count for much.

Allen14n
  • Allen14n

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:37 AM

QUOTE (DarrinPA @ Wednesday, Apr 25 2012, 02:15)
QUOTE (Ronnyboy @ Wednesday, Mar 28 2012, 15:48)
QUOTE (Melchior @ Wednesday, Mar 28 2012, 01:10)
QUOTE (Ronnyboy @ Wednesday, Mar 28 2012, 15:21)
Me? I wanna be on the radio, but I'm not wasting 20k a year on school to make 22k a year when I get out.

Who says you need to go to university to be on the radio?

Most places here require either a very advanced skill in working with communications, just to become an intern. Sadly, the only way to get those skills is through College.

College is garbage. You'll learn everything you need when you're an intern or in an apprenticeship program. College is just a place to make connections. Jobs are very tough to get. "it's not about what you know - It's WHO you know" That is even more true today than ever because of the economy.

Relax, have fun, MAKE CONNECTIONS.

Yeah, that's exactly my point, although I haven't even been to college yet. The effectiveness of college is overrated and looked at too highly.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Tainted

• Antarctica

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:57 AM

QUOTE (goin-god @ Saturday, Mar 24 2012, 03:32)
School is frustating? Seriously? I'm sorry, but you will have a hard time when you enter the real world.

Now, University is frustating. It dosn't matter if you like what you are studing, unless it's something rather easy (Or you just like to study) it will most probably be frustating (at least more than school). I like Physics, Math and programming. That dosn't mean I love to study it like a maniac in University. It's hard and can get very frustating when you can't do things that seem too easy, when you fail that course and have to take it again, when you have been studing months for a final exam and you fail anyways, when you lose months or years. And more stuff, mainly since you are now on your own, and nobody will help you if you don't do it first.

And let's not talk about elimination process, tons of stuff you have to DO otherwise you will fail even if you know everything 100%.

I loved School, that sh*t was so f*cking easy.

I agree. I'm a first year studying Earth Sciences as my major and what's getting me through is my determination and experience I've picked up doing other courses since I left high school in 2002. I never would've handled it at 17.

It does make it easier because you're studying what you enjoy, but it's stil hard. With this degree I'm doing Statistics is a core component and it's doing my head in. Though I feel more confident than I was a few weeks ago. One difference I have noticed compared to high school is you lose your identity. I remember high school and all my teachers and pupils knowing me. It's different sitting in a lecture theater with 200 other people and not knowing anyone much less the lecturers not knowing me. 2 months into it and I've been on my own.

I've been frustrated at times yet I've been to all my lectures and just put all of my bad results behind me and keep going at it. I have finals in a few weeks and I'm nervous, but I'm not going to give up.

Allen14n
  • Allen14n

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE (goin-god @ Friday, Mar 23 2012, 16:32)
School is frustating? Seriously? I'm sorry, but you will have a hard time when you enter the real world.

Now, University is frustating. It dosn't matter if you like what you are studing, unless it's something rather easy (Or you just like to study) it will most probably be frustating (at least more than school). I like Physics, Math and programming. That dosn't mean I love to study it like a maniac in University. It's hard and can get very frustating when you can't do things that seem too easy, when you fail that course and have to take it again, when you have been studing months for a final exam and you fail anyways, when you lose months or years. And more stuff, mainly since you are now on your own, and nobody will help you if you don't do it first.

And let's not talk about elimination process, tons of stuff you have to DO otherwise you will fail even if you know everything 100%.

Shut the f*ck up and don't act like you aren't in it just for the money. Money is the only reason why you even went to school.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies

• United-Kingdom

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (Allen14n @ Wednesday, Apr 25 2012, 18:44)

Shut the f*ck up and don't act like you aren't in it just for the money. Money is the only reason why you even went to school.

Simmer the f*ck down.

He's right. A few months in the "real world" for anyone whose studied at any level is a rude awakening. Very few people have any kind of gentle induction into the world of work- most people are thrust in with precisely bugger all training or prior experience. In this respect, having held a previous part time job is a massive boon but at the end of the day working 9-5 (or even more in many cases), generally in a job that at first you won't really understand or enjoy, makes any part of your education, no matter how hard, seem trivial.

You're completely wrong, as well. If you really believe the only reason that people go to schools of any kind- that is, to educate themselves- is for financial profit...well, that says more about your attitude towards life than it does about anything objective or realistic. I did a Masters degree last year. I did it not because it would help me earn more money (though it has), but because I wanted to demonstrate that I'm an expert on a subject matter that I'm extremely passionate about; I wanted to learn from people who are subject matter experts, and I wanted to test my theses and how they stood up to critical review from other subject practitioners. That's go precisely bugger all to do with money. You think academics get paid much? They spend their entire lives "schooling" and yet they get meagre salaries for people as qualified as they are? Oh please.

n2gether
  • n2gether

Boss

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

I skimmed through the topic but here is my advice. I didn't take high school seriously and basically just played video games through out it or hung out with friends. My only goal in high school was to never take any homework home so I just did it all during school. I managed to get a 3.2 GPA after I graduated which would have got me in a decent university but i decided to go to a community college for 2 years first. After those two years I had a 3.7 GPA because I thought community college was a lot easier than high school but work was still required. I ended up transferring to the best school in my state and a top ranked university in the world (could probably guess which one that is) with my goal of going to medical school. This university was extremely hard. Harder than anything I have ever done. It has made me a lot smarter and I am glad I went there. The degree I have won't get me much though. I could work in a research lab and make $10 an hour but that sucks considering my degree. Basically my advice is if you can't get in to a great university right away go to a cc first and transfer. Also, only go to college if you plan on getting something more than a bachelors degree. Nowadays a bachelors degree won't get you as far as it used to.

Also, only go to school for money? That is a nice bonus at the end of the day, but I went to school so I didn't have to hate my career everyday for the rest of my life.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:28 AM Edited by goin-god, 26 April 2012 - 02:31 AM.

QUOTE (Allen14n @ Wednesday, Apr 25 2012, 14:44)

What the f*ck is wrong with you? I'm in it because I love the career. Money is a plus, I'm not gonna lie to you.
But there is another career I love and that is History. I might study History once I finish Engineering, but only because I like it. Can't see any good job out of it.

Some people seek knowledge. Like Sivis, I and many others. In my opinion, knowledge is power. Now kindly go f*ck yourself.

Allen14n
  • Allen14n

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:16 AM

QUOTE (goin-god @ Thursday, Apr 26 2012, 02:28)

What the f*ck is wrong with you? I'm in it because I love the career. Money is a plus, I'm not gonna lie to you.
But there is another career I love and that is History. I might study History once I finish Engineering, but only because I like it. Can't see any good job out of it.

Some people seek knowledge. Like Sivis, I and many others. In my opinion, knowledge is power. Now kindly go f*ck yourself.

There are too many people out there who wouldn't go as far as spending extra time in college if they knew they won't be getting that much money. Money is clearly the reason for most people.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:18 AM

QUOTE (Allen14n @ Thursday, Apr 26 2012, 02:16)

There are too many people out there who wouldn't go as far as spending extra time in college if they knew they won't be getting that much money. Money is clearly the reason for most people.

Maybe. But I don't see a problem with it.

Allen14n
  • Allen14n

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:21 AM

QUOTE (goin-god @ Thursday, Apr 26 2012, 05:18)

There's clearly a problem with it. Unfortunately, these people don't even enjoy what they're doing. They don't put in passion and effort into it. Instead, doctors WANT patients to be sick. If patients weren't sick, doctors won't get money. Dentists want clients to get cavities. Orthodontists want people to have crooked teeth. I bet you even the person with the most perfect-looking teeth will be required to have braces if he or she visited the orthodontist. That's how it works.

Yes, they help you, but would they help you if you didn't give them money? I'm just waiting for the day when people aim for such occupations WITHOUT pay.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:25 AM Edited by goin-god, 26 April 2012 - 05:27 AM.

QUOTE (Allen14n @ Thursday, Apr 26 2012, 02:21)

There's clearly a problem with it. Unfortunately, these people don't even enjoy what they're doing. They don't put in passion and effort into it. Instead, doctors WANT patients to be sick. If patients weren't sick, doctors won't get money. Dentists want clients to get cavities. Orthodontists want people to have crooked teeth. I bet you even the person with the most perfect-looking teeth will be required to have braces if he or she visited the orthodontist. That's how it works.

Yes, they help you, but would they help you if you didn't give them money? I'm just waiting for the day when people aim for such occupations WITHOUT pay.

Obviously that's not the case with everyone. Specially in fields like Medicine. In fact I know very little people doing a carreer just for the money.
I don't know how old you are, but you have a very narrow idea there.

Allen14n
  • Allen14n

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:55 AM

QUOTE (goin-god @ Thursday, Apr 26 2012, 05:25)

Obviously that's not the case with everyone. Specially in fields like Medicine. In fact I know very little people doing a carreer just for the money.

I'm a sixteen-year-old junior in high school. This school year was the most stressful and frustrating for me because, honestly, the workload is crazy and my motivation for trying almost diminished. Why did I lose motivation? Well, obviously because I feel like I can't even stand a chance at making it into a top-ranking college that holds an amazingly famous reputation. Know what I mean? The whole process doesn't seem fair at all.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:07 AM Edited by finn4life, 26 April 2012 - 08:16 AM.

QUOTE (goin-god @ Thursday, Apr 26 2012, 16:25)

Hahahahahahaha you are a fool allen.
Doctors and Dentists do not go through 10 years of university (In Australia) just for the money.
If there was no money they probably wouldn't do it BUT they have to have a fair bit of passion to study at university for such a long time.
That's not even mentioning how much they must have worked their ass off in school because to get into those courses (In Australia) You must be within the top two percent of a few hundred thousand people in the top subjects like chemistry, physics, advanced mathematics.
To get that high you must have just about every question in every test correct.

So you can't tell me that those people do it just for money and have no other motivation whatsoever.
If they just wanted money why not get an Apprenticeship and in 4 years start earning $120 000 a year? That would be a hell of a lot easier.

By the way, doctors do not want people to be sick, which is why they fix people, and Orthodontists don't talk people into braces if their teeth are fine.
I have met several orthodontists when i was younger and considering braces, they all said that 'your teeth may look a little bit nicer and i understand $10 000 is a lot of money so it isn't necessary to get the treatment'

They basically gave away $10 000, it is not all about the money.

Brad
  • Brad

Big Homie

• Zaibatsu

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:04 AM

QUOTE (Allen14n @ Thursday, Apr 26 2012, 07:55)

I'm a sixteen-year-old junior in high school. This school year was the most stressful and frustrating for me because, honestly, the workload is crazy and my motivation for trying almost diminished. Why did I lose motivation? Well, obviously because I feel like I can't even stand a chance at making it into a top-ranking college that holds an amazingly famous reputation. Know what I mean? The whole process doesn't seem fair at all.

You just sound terribly bitter about anyone wanting to go to College/University because you can't get into one yourself. Jealousy is oozing from your pours.

Allen14n
  • Allen14n

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE (Brad @ Thursday, Apr 26 2012, 09:04)
QUOTE (Allen14n @ Thursday, Apr 26 2012, 07:55)

You just sound terribly bitter about anyone wanting to go to College/University because you can't get into one yourself. Jealousy is oozing from your pours.

I just get irritated sometimes because the notion that I won't be able to get into a college I want no matter how hard I try really discourages me. Colleges accept athletes with horrible grades and horrible SAT scores for a reason. They want a certain reputation. The more famous alumni they have, the better their reputation is and the more applicants they'll have. Colleges are businesses, too. It just bugs me how it's so damn competitive nowadays, although I know I have a lot of potential to reach my destiny.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users