Photo

School = Stress & Frustration

76 replies to this topic
Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE (X3MAC @ Friday, Mar 23 2012, 12:30)
I really have to agree with you. I belive life is useless and i am in school now. I dont need all of this work for my life. That is why you waste 50% of your life in school. When you can go out and see the world and live it.

And never get a job.

X3MAC
  • X3MAC

Scofield

• Members

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:39 PM

Well thats another person. But me i have my plans.

The Scottish Guy
  • The Scottish Guy

Toasty!

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

I actually miss high school. It'll be 10 years this summer since I left, and I've pretty much lost contact with alot of people. When your that age you don't give a sh*t and just f*ck around most of the time.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:32 PM Edited by goin-god, 23 March 2012 - 04:35 PM.

School is frustating? Seriously? I'm sorry, but you will have a hard time when you enter the real world.

Now, University is frustating. It dosn't matter if you like what you are studing, unless it's something rather easy (Or you just like to study) it will most probably be frustating (at least more than school). I like Physics, Math and programming. That dosn't mean I love to study it like a maniac in University. It's hard and can get very frustating when you can't do things that seem too easy, when you fail that course and have to take it again, when you have been studing months for a final exam and you fail anyways, when you lose months or years. And more stuff, mainly since you are now on your own, and nobody will help you if you don't do it first.

And let's not talk about elimination process, tons of stuff you have to DO otherwise you will fail even if you know everything 100%.

I loved School, that sh*t was so f*cking easy.

johnson.
  • johnson.

OGbobby

• The Precinct
  • Canada

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

Life = Stress & Frustration

69_black_69
  • 69_black_69

Just Beacuase

• Feroci
  • Indonesia

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE (goin-god @ Friday, Mar 23 2012, 23:32)
School is frustating? Seriously? I'm sorry, but you will have a hard time when you enter the real world.

Now, University is frustating. It dosn't matter if you like what you are studing, unless it's something rather easy (Or you just like to study) it will most probably be frustating (at least more than school). I like Physics, Math and programming. That dosn't mean I love to study it like a maniac in University. It's hard and can get very frustating when you can't do things that seem too easy, when you fail that course and have to take it again, when you have been studing months for a final exam and you fail anyways, when you lose months or years. And more stuff, mainly since you are now on your own, and nobody will help you if you don't do it first.

And let's not talk about elimination process, tons of stuff you have to DO otherwise you will fail even if you know everything 100%.

True that.
But i think it does matter if you like what you're studying.

Now, I'm having a practicum for 2 weeks, every day, about energy conversion.
sh*t was about physics, and i didn't like physics.

6 months ago, a practicum for 4 months, every weeks, about Computer and Programming.
sh*t was about coding, and other computer sh*t, and i like them.

Icarus
  • Icarus

[C9] Orthonormal

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE (Irviding @ Wednesday, Mar 14 2012, 19:21)
I vehemently disagree with the people suggesting college is harder than high school.

I disagree with this.

Granted, when I was in high school, I enjoyed history and English (to an extent - when we were analyzing poetry, not so much), but I was always more into physics and mathematics (chemistry and biology, too, but not as much as the other two) and when I got to university, it definitely got tougher, so it was certainly harder. My enjoyment of school went up, because I was studying what I wanted to and I really liked it, but it was by no means easy and I put my blood and sweat into getting my B.Sc. in honours physics. I expected that, though, so I couldn't really complain (and I didn't - I did the work).

University should be challenging (to an extent). If it's too easy, you're not learning.

[EDIT] What goin-god said hit the nail on the head.

NaidRaida
  • NaidRaida

Inactive user

• Members

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:13 PM

School is (was) fun.

Wait what comes after school.

That will discourage you.

School is fun.

Enjoy your school time.

Carbine23
  • Carbine23

Work Hard & Say It's Easy

• Members

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (Piperka @ Wednesday, Mar 14 2012, 05:32)
I don't know how the whole system works in America but doesn't only the last highschool year matter in terms of getting into colleges/universities?

Absolutely not, senior year is the best year. Jr Year counts the most and is the worst. Senior year you just have to apply to colleges and keep your grades from dropping so colleges don't drop you. But most people take easy classes senior year unless they wanna take AP to get college credit.

And ik junior year sucks but once its over its so relieving. Just chill and enjoy senior year, it was truly the most amazing year in high school. I wish i could have it back.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:51 PM

QUOTE (69_black_69 @ Friday, Mar 23 2012, 14:03)
QUOTE (goin-god @ Friday, Mar 23 2012, 23:32)

True that.
But i think it does matter if you like what you're studying.

No it dosn't. Obiously if you don't like what you are studying you will most probably fail. If you like it, it will only be a bit easier. Unless you love to study or have a good method.

Now, I'm having a practicum for 2 weeks, every day, about energy conversion.
sh*t was about physics, and i didn't like physics.

6 months ago, a practicum for 4 months, every weeks, about Computer and Programming.
sh*t was about coding, and other computer sh*t, and i like them.

I like to go to the classes aswell. I love to hear the professor talk about Science or Computers in general. But once you have to study to face that exam, it's another story.

interpolfan11
  • interpolfan11

Lions 7-8 NG

• Members

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:55 PM

QUOTE (NaidRaida @ Friday, Mar 23 2012, 12:13)
School is (was) fun.

School is fun.

Enjoy your school time.

It's sentiments like this that annoy me, personally. School isn't fun when you're in the IB program, forced to take college-level classes in all of the core subjects, most of which the average kid doesn't necessarily enjoy. School isn't fun when the college admission process has become so competitive that you're suddenly forced to play a sport at a varsity level, be involved in the local community, and maintain a high GPA. School isn't fun when your social life has effectively slipped away due to such an impressive workload. School isn't fun when your sleep patterns have been affected because you were trying to finish that essay and study for that math test tomorrow.

Now I understand that I've chosen to take such difficult classes in hopes of going to a good university, but bear in mind that those who are really challenging themselves loathe seeing statements being made with such broad brushstrokes. Everyone's high school experience isn't (wasn't) "fun."

By the way, I didn't mean to personally attack you. I'm just one of many angsty teenagers who are using thread as a much-needed place to blow off some steam. smile.gif

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:06 AM

QUOTE (interpolfan11 @ Friday, Mar 23 2012, 20:55)
School is (was) fun.

School is fun.

Enjoy your school time.

It's sentiments like this that annoy me, personally. School isn't fun when you're in the IB program, forced to take college-level classes in all of the core subjects, most of which the average kid doesn't necessarily enjoy. School isn't fun when the college admission process has become so competitive that you're suddenly forced to play a sport at a varsity level, be involved in the local community, and maintain a high GPA. School isn't fun when your social life has effectively slipped away due to such an impressive workload. School isn't fun when your sleep patterns have been affected because you were trying to finish that essay and study for that math test tomorrow.

Now I understand that I've chosen to take such difficult classes in hopes of going to a good university, but bear in mind that those who are really challenging themselves loathe seeing statements being made with such broad brushstrokes. Everyone's high school experience isn't (wasn't) "fun."

By the way, I didn't mean to personally attack you. I'm just one of many angsty teenagers who are using thread as a much-needed place to blow off some steam. smile.gif

Beleave me when I tell you, it will help you do better in University.

Allen14n
  • Allen14n

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:56 AM

QUOTE (interpolfan11 @ Friday, Mar 23 2012, 23:55)
School is (was) fun.

School is fun.

Enjoy your school time.

I agree with you so much. The competitiveness of the college admission process makes it very discouraging at times. It's exactly why I feel I won't be able to get into my colleges of choice.

Ronnyboy
  • Ronnyboy

Blind leading the deaf, leading the socially inept.

• Members

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:21 AM

Jesus, you all wanna make me pass Highschool and become a mechanic or a carpenter! I myself feel the constant stress of Highschool. I'm a smart, well spoken and highly regarded student. My teachers, principal, counselors, and parents all want to see me do something great with my life. Me? I wanna be on the radio, but I'm not wasting 20k a year on school to make 22k a year when I get out. Plus all the testing and admissions sh*t? f*ck it, I'll go to a local tech school, learn a trade, and make me some money.

Melchior
  • Melchior

The lights are so bright, but they never blind me

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • China

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:10 AM

QUOTE (Ronnyboy @ Wednesday, Mar 28 2012, 15:21)
Me? I wanna be on the radio, but I'm not wasting 20k a year on school to make 22k a year when I get out.

Who says you need to go to university to be on the radio?

HydraulicWaRiOr
  • HydraulicWaRiOr

Moe Boats

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:27 AM

QUOTE (Allen14n @ Wednesday, Mar 14 2012, 21:10)
Here's the typical process:
Go to college
Get a job.
Marry, have a kid
Watch them grow,
and then you die.

Fixed.

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• Members
  • Saint-Martin

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:01 AM

By the way, I didn't mean to personally attack you. I'm just one of many angsty teenagers who are using thread as a much-needed place to blow off some steam.

I agree with this. A few weeks ago my school was giving out pamphlets about getting into the right college. I work hard enough so that I can make good grades and have a nice looking list of classes without having a regular stressful workload (ie: Honors classes with some AP classes where I'm good at the subject). I consider myself okay at school, but when I read that my work could get me into a two-year college if I was lucky I got pissed. Not only would I have to study for two extra years to be considered good enough for an education in what I want at the current level I'm working at, but I'm also just barely there. I think the pamphlet was padded, but it's still not fun to see that the work I've been doing in school for 12 years is suggested to be lower than average.

Personally I want to major in Mathematics or computer science, and maybe get a job in software engineering, and while that's still attainable, it's not pleasant that I'm considered smart by a majority of my friends and just barely there. Imagine the problems they're going to have later on.

Ronnyboy
  • Ronnyboy

Blind leading the deaf, leading the socially inept.

• Members

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE (Melchior @ Wednesday, Mar 28 2012, 01:10)
QUOTE (Ronnyboy @ Wednesday, Mar 28 2012, 15:21)
Me? I wanna be on the radio, but I'm not wasting 20k a year on school to make 22k a year when I get out.

Who says you need to go to university to be on the radio?

Most places here require either a very advanced skill in working with communications, just to become an intern. Sadly, the only way to get those skills is through College.

FireDragon
  • FireDragon

En Taro Adun

• Members

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:13 PM

What I would recommend to the OP is to keep working hard and finish junior year and also keep it up through his senior year in high school. While your grades and class rank may not be that good I would suggest into looking for colleges that are in your state since tuition will be much lower than the out of state ones. SAT and ACT are both accepted by all universities throughout the US, actually I took both and found out that I was not any good at the SAT. That's why I took the ACT twice and got a score that I was satisfied with. I think a good college prep program would help you a lot here. I have been in one since my freshman year and it has helped me a very great deal, especially if you come from a low income family (btw it's called AVID). I have seen so many people get into fairly decent colleges with not so good grades and now that they have been in college for a year they completely have turned around their life. Don't give up, since doing that won't help you any in your future.

Mr.Mister
  • Mr.Mister

Capt. Downtown

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:16 AM

What I'm doing is taking part-time computer courses while working. I'm going to earn a few certificates between now and September and find some entry level work in a I.T firm. Then I can use what I've already learned and be much closer to getting a bachelors degree. Then I'll be making good money within a decade... before I hit 30! Thats the dream

sh*ts gonna be much tougher if you aint dreamin

abottig
  • abottig

tinyurl.com/2glbsx

• Members

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:03 AM

QUOTE (epoxi @ Wednesday, Mar 14 2012, 09:14)
There is no point going to a university that doesn't challenge you, otherwise the degree does not reflect your ability.

^I know so many assholes with degrees who don't know jack sh*t.

OP: I'm not knocking people with a degree, I think it's awesome, but it very rarely reflects how much you know about your particular field.

If you don't know what you want to do, you may be better off saving TONS of money, and going to community college. There are a lot of f*ck-ups at community colleges, but the education you will get there is really dependent on YOU and what YOU make of it. And if you feel you are missing out on college life (partying), you can always visit your friends at their colleges on the weekends, and there's no rule saying you can't attend spring break. And if you want, you can always transfer to a 4-year school.

There is nothing wrong with not knowing where you're going. Just keep your head up, and keep your nose clean. Things will come together if you keep moving in a positive direction.

Good luck.

Kwandilibro
  • Kwandilibro

Be eye itch.

• Members

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:24 AM

QUOTE (Allen14n @ Wednesday, Mar 14 2012, 04:54)
Also, I don't even have any extracurricular activities because my mom doesn't believe in that stuff. She doesn't even know how the whole process works.

I thought schools were into that sh*t.

Kent Traffic Cop
  • Kent Traffic Cop

Old Skool

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:28 AM

QUOTE (Ronnyboy @ Wednesday, Mar 28 2012, 05:21)
I wanna be on the radio, but I'm not wasting 20k a year on school to make 22k a year when I get out. Plus all the testing and admissions sh*t? f*ck it, I'll go to a local tech school, learn a trade, and make me some money.

A former colleague of mine used to earn a 6-figure sum whilst working in Iraq doing some crazy chemical sh*t for the government. Very smart individual with qualifications coming out of his arse...

He quit that sh*t, joined the police and earns 30,000 a year as a Sergeant.

Why? Because his job was boring and wanted to follow a dream.

One life - live it.

Allen14n
  • Allen14n

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE (FireDragon @ Wednesday, Mar 28 2012, 23:13)
What I would recommend to the OP is to keep working hard and finish junior year and also keep it up through his senior year in high school. While your grades and class rank may not be that good I would suggest into looking for colleges that are in your state since tuition will be much lower than the out of state ones. SAT and ACT are both accepted by all universities throughout the US, actually I took both and found out that I was not any good at the SAT. That's why I took the ACT twice and got a score that I was satisfied with. I think a good college prep program would help you a lot here. I have been in one since my freshman year and it has helped me a very great deal, especially if you come from a low income family (btw it's called AVID). I have seen so many people get into fairly decent colleges with not so good grades and now that they have been in college for a year they completely have turned around their life. Don't give up, since doing that won't help you any in your future.

Thank you.

I just don't see the point of trying so hard for the remainder of high school when I know I'll still end up being rejected to colleges I want to get into. I know people say they'd be willing to accept you if they see improvements in your grades, but that was way back when it wasn't so competitive. I'm pretty sure there are at least ten thousands kids with a 4.0 GPA for all four school years, while I don't even come close. I don't even have extracurricular activities.

Two kids both with a 4.5 GPA. One has more extracurricular activities. Extracurricular activities would be the deciding factor. Lots of colleges out there won't even accept students with a 4.0 GPA. Why the hell would they accept me?

It's obviously gotten a lot more competitive. That's why I don't see the point in trying so hard when I'll just end up at a community college.

Dingleman
  • Dingleman

SA:LC Mod Leader

• Members

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:52 PM

I'm in my final year of highschool as we speak, in a weekend sandwhiched between two exam weeks (only two more damn half yearlies to go! smile.gif ).

The system does work differently where I am, being the last year the only one that really counts. I don't plan to go to university at this point, but I am still going for an ATAR in case I ever change my mind.

That said, you should definately take what you can from your years as high school. It is a great baseplate for the skills and habits you will continue develop through your life. Be stressed, but don't stress too much. Stressing too much does more harm than not giving a single f*ck about your work. Highscool purposely puts stress on you so you can get a taste of what it is, and figure out for yourself what your limits are, and what way to deal with it suits you best.

Have some "you" time every once in a while. Experiment with your balance, get into a routine of being well rested, learn how you can possibly use your stress to your advantage, and trust me, as long as you be persistant you will get to your senior years and things will eventually come together.

Allen14n
  • Allen14n

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE (dingleman @ Saturday, Mar 31 2012, 12:52)
I'm in my final year of highschool as we speak, in a weekend sandwhiched between two exam weeks (only two more damn half yearlies to go! smile.gif ).

The system does work differently where I am, being the last year the only one that really counts. I don't plan to go to university at this point, but I am still going for an ATAR in case I ever change my mind.

That said, you should definately take what you can from your years as high school. It is a great baseplate for the skills and habits you will continue develop through your life. Be stressed, but don't stress too much. Stressing too much does more harm than not giving a single f*ck about your work. Highscool purposely puts stress on you so you can get a taste of what it is, and figure out for yourself what your limits are, and what way to deal with it suits you best.

Have some "you" time every once in a while. Experiment with your balance, get into a routine of being well rested, learn how you can possibly use your stress to your advantage, and trust me, as long as you be persistant you will get to your senior years and things will eventually come together.

My biggest fear with trying so hard is that I will become very disappointed if I don't get accepted even if I have straight A's in senior year. There are thousands of kids out there with a GPA higher than 4.0. Why the hell would they accept me if they won't take a 4.3 kid? Know what I mean? Why in their sane mind would they do that? My chances are just screwed up.

Allen14n
  • Allen14n

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE (abottig @ Thursday, Mar 29 2012, 05:03)
QUOTE (epoxi @ Wednesday, Mar 14 2012, 09:14)
There is no point going to a university that doesn't challenge you, otherwise the degree does not reflect your ability.

^I know so many assholes with degrees who don't know jack sh*t.

OP: I'm not knocking people with a degree, I think it's awesome, but it very rarely reflects how much you know about your particular field.

If you don't know what you want to do, you may be better off saving TONS of money, and going to community college. There are a lot of f*ck-ups at community colleges, but the education you will get there is really dependent on YOU and what YOU make of it. And if you feel you are missing out on college life (partying), you can always visit your friends at their colleges on the weekends, and there's no rule saying you can't attend spring break. And if you want, you can always transfer to a 4-year school.

There is nothing wrong with not knowing where you're going. Just keep your head up, and keep your nose clean. Things will come together if you keep moving in a positive direction.

Good luck.

I agree. Degrees don't mean anything.

Allen14n
  • Allen14n

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:32 AM

Update:
School isn't too bad for me at the moment. I got my grades up, and I'm proud of myself for that. I don't even know about college anymore, but I hope I can somehow miraculously do it.

SlickSpencer8
  • SlickSpencer8

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:06 AM

I know what you are saying Allen. Junior year is one of the toughest times in school with all the testing and the high standards and a lot of kids like yourself get discouraged and get very stressed out. It's not just you, it happened to me as well. And you have to understand that all teachers around the world have their "favoritism" and the kids they like and don't care. Just try to talk to the teachers and act like their friend and make them laugh. If not, then you just gotta put that extra 110% in. And it's something I regret not doing in my school year and it might effect my future jobs and colleges when I graduate. Just put it this way, you don't try hard then you will fail and won't get a good job in the future.

Well whatever you do, good luck and remember to keep your head up and do good! biggrin.gif

Allen14n
  • Allen14n

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:57 AM

QUOTE (SlickSpencer8 @ Wednesday, Apr 25 2012, 01:06)
I know what you are saying Allen. Junior year is one of the toughest times in school with all the testing and the high standards and a lot of kids like yourself get discouraged and get very stressed out. It's not just you, it happened to me as well. And you have to understand that all teachers around the world have their "favoritism" and the kids they like and don't care. Just try to talk to the teachers and act like their friend and make them laugh. If not, then you just gotta put that extra 110% in. And it's something I regret not doing in my school year and it might effect my future jobs and colleges when I graduate. Just put it this way, you don't try hard then you will fail and won't get a good job in the future.

Well whatever you do, good luck and remember to keep your head up and do good! biggrin.gif

Thanks for the advice!

I don't really want to start kissing up to the teachers just to get on their good side. I'm not really the type of person who finds it easy to socialize with anyone at any time. I think I got on a teacher's good side last year because I did well in that class, but I don't think it's like that anymore because I obviously don't have high grades.

You see, the problem is that I didn't see the point in working so hard for concepts that I won't even really need in the future. When are we going to ever apply matrices to everyday situations? Unless you're going to become a programmer or an engineer, I doubt you would even need to learn that. However, my English teacher taught me that we learn these things because they help our thinking skills. You just have to believe that it helps. I guess that's a good approach to it, and I really agree with him on that. He's the first person to actually give a logical response that I agree with.

I really didn't want to get good grades just to impress colleges. That just seems shallow and phony to me. Also, I didn't see the point of trying if the colleges I really want to be accepted in are so selective that they won't even take a student with straight A's and a GPA higher than a 4.0. I obviously don't come anywhere close to straight A's or a 4.0 GPA, so I pretty much just gave up. I really lost a lot of motivation because of that.

I guess it's worth trying and making the best out of what I have left in high school, though. I was able to make my grades bounce back, and school doesn't seem all that bad anymore. It's been a tough school year, and I want to end it with a good note.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users