Quantcast

» «
Photo

Piracy- Games, music and films

129 replies to this topic

Rat

• Members

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:35 PM

QUOTE (YankeesPwnMets @ May 14 2011, 13:40)

I am talking about those like Jay Z, Rihanna, Lady Gaga, etc. All the big names. The smaller, less popular artists, I don''t really listen to them.

it sounds like you have no need to pirate music. just turn on whatever pop radio station you have handy.

i honestly only play a couple of games a year and spend 100+ hours playing them. i've learned to tell the difference between a game that's worth my $$ and a game that's a waste -- i wouldn't think of buying 'kung fu panda II' for xbox, but i laid down my clams for fallout.

i feel like if you have unlimited free access to all games, you're going to have a harder time learning that discernment.

i agree with just about everyone here that it's impossible to stop, that it drives up game prices, and that that cost markup is inflated and largely artificial. IMO the used game market and outfits like steam hurt sales more than piracy does.

a good example from my actual life:

i have a mate that pirates lots of games and has steam and buys up a ton of games for pennies at every chance. i pay full price for 2-3 games a year. i suck the life out of games exploring every option. he gets bored with them in a day or two. he gave up on gran turismo because it took more than 20 minutes to set up a driver. he quit arkham asylum after level 2 because it was too hard. he got an illegal copy of fallout complete with trainer and got bored after half a weekend. he doesn't like multiplayer FPS games because he doesn't play them long enough to build up any skill - there's always a new game to play the next week. every day it's a new game he's talking about, and the next day he says it sucks. total gamer ADD.

maybe not a typical example, but it illustrates this point - when you don't have to earn something, you don't appreciate it. so there's a down side to the pirateers.

i'm not totally against piracy - there are am sure many situations where there isn't any other way to get a game, or it's just economically out of reach, as previous posts point out. i admit i pirate movies - i pirate foreign films that don't have a chance of showing up in a video stores ( there are still video stores? ) and TV shows - no different than a tivo IMO. if it IS worth owning, buy it. there's no way around the fact that piracy = theft, no matter how you try to justify it. we're not talking about bread to feed your kids here.

if i can't afford a game, then i don't have time to spend playing it either. if a game isn't worth paying for, it's not worth playing either.

PHCharls
  • PHCharls

• Members

Posted 19 June 2011 - 01:14 PM Edited by PHCharls, 19 June 2011 - 01:16 PM.

Game piracy won't stop especially in poor countries like in south east Asia,southern Asia like in Indonesia,Burma,Thailand and other countries including my country

In my opinion,I don't really care of it.

bobgtafan
  • bobgtafan

The last thing you never see

• Members

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:54 AM

Piracy is 100 percent ok when a game isn't available through legal channels. If you live in Zimbabwe or something and can't get it otherwise go ahead. Otherwise I don't buy the other arguments for it. Industries such as gaming and music might not be able to survive/thrive at the level they could have otherwise due to privacy. Sure every person who pirates probably wouldn't of bought the product otherwise but piracy decreases the amount of innovative titles.

Think if you're a publisher and you're thinking of backing a new game. Both will get pirated at 20 percent. Are you going to go with
Game A. Which is amazing, but cost more delevopmentally. Not only that but it's a larger risk with audiences.
Game B. Which is just another generic FPS/RPG that has pretty explosions. It doesn't take much cost to make and will probably sell well.

With 20 percent of the potental audience already gone and the need to sell 1 million copies to regain investment, the standard ball of crap is more likely to be released. This goes with movies, books and a lesser extent music.

Since at piracy at some level reduces profits, it also by extention reduces investment. The less money for investment means less innovation, which means less Grand Theft Autos and Fallouts will rise in the future. Of course for the pirate this doesn't matter much since they get their fill then and their, ignoring the cost to themselves, others and the industry in the future.

I also don't buy the "The games crap anyway argument". If it is f*cking rent it. This is why we have gamefly, blockbuster and redbox. Gaming and other industries can't remain viable if when it's time to make a profit they have to hope those who played the game will feel like paying. Even if pirating is limited, it scares investors with the prospect that their resources, and delevopers time could of been used, had made an amazing game; hell work of art, only to not make enough money because of damn pirates.

That said I pirate, I'm not proud of it, it's not something to be f*cking proud of. It's stealing only without the damn gun. I'm no hypocrite, I fully understand the actions I partake in and the consequences they cause. As a result I'm reducing the amount of material I do pirate.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE (YankeesPwnMets @ Thursday, May 12 2011, 20:11)
Games: They aren't that expensive, except for those 60 dollar new games. I really don't see why people pirate it. Just wait for some sort of Steam or Amazon sale and you could get some games for as little as $5

Maybe not in the US, but here they are f*cking expensive.

I have never bought a game. And god knows I have played lots of them. Do I like to pirate them? No I don't. I would much rather buy them and use all the nice features most pirated games don't have. But I just can't afford to buy them, they are not worth the overpriced price.
And like Blitz said, it is hard to find legal games here! I once went to Wall-Mart, they only had BF Bad Company (wich was really expènsive) and a bunch of noname games.
I would be more than happy to buy COD5 for example. I have no idea of where to do it (I don't buy things via internet).
Red Orchestra 2 is coming, and I soo want to enjoy it completly... wich means paying for it. It will be the first game I will pay for.

Just so you know, a 60 dollars game (like the stupid new COD's) costs 240 pesos (60x4 in my currency) + taxes.
There's no way I'm wasting that much money in videogames. How much do I pay if I buy it ilegally (although I download them now)? 60 pesos! confused.gif

And there is no way Im getting a PS3... I would go bankrupt with the first couple of games.

riquenunes
  • riquenunes

Soldier

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:16 AM Edited by H3NR1QU3, 26 June 2011 - 01:42 AM.

coin-god, you said EVERYTHING man, I totally feel your pain. Games and computer related things are the most overpriced sh*t ever and I just don't know what the f*ck they make with that money they earn with those absurd taxes.

Just look at this sh*t:

http://www.shoptime......2022220 22221

(PS3 Version)

R$ 169,90 and it was R$ 379,00 before. Who the hell would spend that money on a game when you can simply download it? Rich people would, but that's not the reality of most people here in Brazil, so I don't see piracy ending any time soon here.

An even worse example:

http://www.submarino... pc?menuId=1473

Vice City has what? 8, 7 years? and it's still R$ 79,90! In a local store that value would be even higher. confused.gif

Matty
  • Matty

Wiseguy

• Australia

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:12 AM

I do agree to the practice of pirating video games, as I have done so in the past - but I also buy games too. Like mentioned above, pirating a game can be a good method of testing whether or not the game works on your PC. Because if you go out and spend your money on a brand new PC game, install it and find out that it doesn't work on your PC - you have just wasted your money on a game that doesn't work, plus the disappointment that you can't even play the game. If you pirate the game beforehand, sure; there is the disappointment that the game didn't work, but at least you have as much money in your pockets afterwords.

Another situation I think that piracy is acceptable is if you are wanting to get the full version of an old game that doesn't get sold in stores any more - because there is no other way to get that game otherwise, and it wouldn't be affecting the developers of that game in any way either as they stopped producing copies of that particular game.

I also think that it is acceptable to pirate a game if you have brought the game previously, but have lost the original CD one way or another. Because you have given the developers a little of your money for the game that you brought, I don't see the problem with pirating it if you lost the CD instead of spending money and buying it again.

In conclusion, what is the difference between someone burning a game onto a blank CD for you, and downloading it from a website? You are still getting the game either way. People blow piracy way out of proportion but I am sure as sh*t that there are a fair share of people who are playing games that their friends burnt for them, and that doesn't even get a mention.

vertical limit
  • vertical limit

When in doubt don't pull out.

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:28 AM

The only pirated games I have on PC are

GTA SA
MS Flight Simulator

Music, don't get me started.

M.A.K
  • M.A.K

Religion! ... Cause of Peace & War.

• Members
  • Pakistan

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:57 AM

QUOTE (vertical limit @ Sunday, Jun 26 2011, 10:28)
The only pirated games I have on PC are

GTA SA
MS Flight Simulator

Music, don't get me started.

I usually get new games on my birthday i don't have to pay for them the last game i bought was GTA IV & the episode's of libert city which cost me $60 which in my currency are Rs.5160 angry.gif god so expensive ,oh and music every one pirates that

Carter.Slade
  • Carter.Slade

A Dark Passenger

• Members

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:09 AM

In my country we don't download Pirated Games because in 10 out 5 gaming stores rent/sell the Pirated DVD's even more expensive then the original price.
As fas my experience I asked all the shopkeeper (those who sells pirated one) "can you order a original GTA:EFLC?" and all of them answered same that "It will cost about Rs.2000-2500" mercie_blink.gif
I replied "but it costs only Rs500" and he was trying to deny it, but still people buy/rent those pirated games confused.gif .
I still don't have GTA:EFLC as I was unable to find a legit version, I'll try to order it from a site with free home delivery and cash on delivery with even discounts and pre-order biggrin.gif .

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Boards Of Canada

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:15 PM

There's not doubt that pirating games is wrong. It's stealing. Fact.

But, that's not to say I don't understand why people do it. Games costing over a €100 is just crazy and I sympathise with people stuck in a place where they get charged extortionate amounts.

There's also greed in this too for the guys selling the copied stuff. When I was in Turkey, even in the legitimate looking entertainment shops, they were selling ripped DVDs but the price wasn't that cheaper and it probably only cost the less than 20 cent to produce. That's f*cked.

I've downloaded games before like San Andreas, but I bought that game about twice, new and twice, second hand so I felt Rockstar still got my profits and in a sense, it was justifiable.

I'm not to sure about people downloading as a try before you buy thing. So, do people play the first mission of a game they wanted so bad, go through the trouble of installing, then stop after one mission. Uninstall it and by the game? Doubt people do that every time.

Josh
  • Josh

Raus Raus Fila Fila

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Sunday, Jun 26 2011, 16:15)
[I've downloaded games before like San Andreas, but I bought that game about twice, new and twice, second hand so I felt Rockstar still got my profits and in a sense, it was justifiable.

In the eyes of the law it remains illegal. Owning the game doesn't make anyone exempt from international copyright laws.

That said I've done the same thing too, and the legal system is much more likely to want to have a word with the person who put it online as opposed to the person who downloads it. Especially if you can prove that you have purchased the game in the past.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Boards Of Canada

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE (Josh @ Sunday, Jun 26 2011, 16:25)
QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Sunday, Jun 26 2011, 16:15)
[I've downloaded games before like San Andreas, but I bought that game about twice, new and twice, second hand so I felt Rockstar still got my profits and in a sense, it was justifiable.

In the eyes of the law it remains illegal. Owning the game doesn't make anyone exempt from international copyright laws.

That said I've done the same thing too, and the legal system is much more likely to want to have a word with the person who put it online as opposed to the person who downloads it. Especially if you can prove that you have purchased the game in the past.

Of course you are right but since I've bought the game a few times it just meant for me I downloaded, guilt free.

I pay for all my games on my 360. I've got about 30. Some are second hand but I've bought quite a few new releases.

Ronnyboy
  • Ronnyboy

Blind leading the deaf, leading the socially inept.

• Members

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:11 AM

Pirating is like a really long demo. You see if it works, you play through it, and if you don't like it, no harm done. But if I like it, I buy it because I enjoyed the experience, and I use it as a thank you and a push for more of it.

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

The boatman stays with the boat.

• Members

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:30 AM

Most of the PC games I pirate I've already purchased for a console. Specifically speaking of GTA, I bought III and VC for PS2, bought III for PC, bought VC on XBox, pirated VC for PC, bought SA for PS2 on release day, pirated SA for PC, Bought IV special edition for PS3 on release day, then bought IV for PC about a week after release.

As much as I like to think that I'll buy games if I play them and like them, by the time I get around to it I can only find them used and half the time the product keys are missing. Many of the GameStops here don't even carry PC games.

Benjamin
  • Benjamin

Kye on KTT

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:31 AM

I think it's bad because the people who put there time into making the game get nothing out of it although I still do it on PC whatsthat.gif

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

• Members

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:47 AM

They get nothing out of someone pirating a game? What do they get out of someone not buying or pirating a game? Nothing.

Benjamin
  • Benjamin

Kye on KTT

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:42 AM

QUOTE (leik oh em jeez! @ Monday, Jun 27 2011, 02:47)
They get nothing out of someone pirating a game? What do they get out of someone not buying or pirating a game? Nothing.

Yeah, but your still enjoying there hard work for free? Is that really a cool thing to do?

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

• Members

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE (LulzAllDay @ Monday, Jun 27 2011, 02:42)
Yeah, but your still enjoying there hard work for free? Is that really a cool thing to do?

I also enjoyed building a dual CPU system out of the Pentium III processors I got for free. Is that cool? I don't know.
Does it matter if it's cool? No one is losing anything by (most) piracy. Enjoying something you got for free doesn't make it "wrong."

Josh
  • Josh

Raus Raus Fila Fila

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (leik oh em jeez! @ Monday, Jun 27 2011, 20:21)
Does it matter if it's cool? No one is losing anything by (most) piracy. Enjoying something you got for free doesn't make it "wrong."

But the act of getting something for free (piracy) is wrong. And your first statement flies in the face of all logic.

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

• Members

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE (Josh @ Monday, Jun 27 2011, 14:31)
But the act of getting something for free (piracy) is wrong. And your first statement flies in the face of all logic.

The act of taking something from someone is wrong. Game piracy is not the same. When you pirate a game, there's still the original copy. So it's more like buying cheap rip-offs than it is stealing.

I've gotten plenty of stuff for free. I've also given quite a bit of stuff away for free. There's nothing wrong with that.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE (LulzAllDay @ Sunday, Jun 26 2011, 23:31)
I think it's bad because the people who put there time into making the game get nothing out of it although I still do it on PC whatsthat.gif

Since most of the games I download were made by big companies that had millons of dollars in income from selling that game. I don't care.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Empty Pleasures and Desperate Measures since 1994

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE (leik oh em jeez! @ Monday, Jun 27 2011, 20:21)
QUOTE (LulzAllDay @ Monday, Jun 27 2011, 02:42)

I also enjoyed building a dual CPU system out of the Pentium III processors I got for free. Is that cool? I don't know.

That's comparing apples to oranges. In fact, it's not even that similar. It's like comparing apples to a Rubik's Cube. A closer analogy would be someone else building the system, expending their money on the parts, and then a third party stealing it and giving it to you. Doesn't sound so right when you look at it that way, does it?

In all fairness, whilst I don't agree with piracy and haven't ever engaged in it to any real degree, I do think that developers, publishers and sellers have to answer for their side of it as well. In the case of the developers, it's the sheer laziness of much of the work they do. The vast majority of games on the market recycle the same four or five basic engines, albeit with modifications, and it appears to me at least that the quality of games design has taken a massive nose-dive over the last 5 years or so. If they were producing longer, better engineered and more importantly better tested games then I think that more people would be prepared to pay the asking price for them. In the case of the producers it's the fact they permit semi-finished products to be marketed and then pick up the pieces afterwards, and the idiotic DLC culture that's cropped up over the last couple of years or so. And the profiteering- not just by conventional companies but also by the likes of Steam- also turn people off. Steam is a good example- I don't understand how they can justify charging the same price as physical stores despite having far lower overheads, and despite the fact the users contract makes it quite clear that the user does not in fact own the game, merely rents it based on terms and conditions.

Of course, you'll never please everyone, and I do understand why people become engaged in it to some degree. But I think the number of people who are just too apathetic to the quality, cost and constant we-could-have-included-this-but-decided-to-make-you-pay-for-it-6-months-down-the-line attitude of producers to spend their money paying for games far outweighs those who are just too cheap or too dishonest to get them conventionally.

Josh
  • Josh

Raus Raus Fila Fila

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE (leik oh em jeez! @ Monday, Jun 27 2011, 20:34)
The act of taking something from someone is wrong. Game piracy is not the same. When you pirate a game, there's still the original copy. So it's more like buying cheap rip-offs than it is stealing.

I've gotten plenty of stuff for free. I've also given quite a bit of stuff away for free. There's nothing wrong with that.

That makes absolutely no sense at all. Getting something for free isn't piracy. Piracy may be a way of getting something for free but that doesn't mean that they are one and the same.

ZDANZ96
  • ZDANZ96

• Members

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:27 AM Edited by ZDANZ96, 28 June 2011 - 01:32 AM.

I aproove game piratary,but only they do it well like copy the original game in 2x speed that take at least 2 hours to copy but the result is perfect!
But some assholes vendors sell a game copied in 16x speed that takes 6 min each DVD and ruin any console's optical laser... (including my old ps2 that i dont use anymore)

i used to buy games in places like that:

user posted image

Illegal? i know...
Original games of ps3 are too expensive here about 200R$ that costs in dollars about 100$,while in another country costs 45$ mercie_blink.gif

But today theres only original games of ps3 since almost no one (excluding my uncle that works in illegal jobs cool.gif ) can copy bluray discs,so i buy them for this high price by legal ways... bored.gif

rocketalypse
  • rocketalypse

DYOM User and Mission Designer

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:56 PM

Well, folks, I do not think that downloading games, songs and that stuff should be illegal. If that is illegal why giving a game, music and that stuff to a friend forever isn't illegal?

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:01 PM

QUOTE (rocketalypse @ Friday, Jul 1 2011, 19:56)
Well, folks, I do not think that downloading games, songs and that stuff should be illegal. If that is illegal why giving a game, music and that stuff to a friend forever isn't illegal?

Forever might not be ilegal, but if they keep a copy and they give it back to you. Then it is ilegal.

Toup
  • Toup

Group: Cheesedicks

• Members

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE (ZDANZ96 @ Tuesday, Jun 28 2011, 02:27)
I aproove game piratary,but only they do it well like copy the original game in 2x speed that take at least 2 hours to copy but the result is perfect!
But some assholes vendors sell a game copied in 16x speed that takes 6 min each DVD and ruin any console's optical laser... (including my old ps2 that i dont use anymore)

i used to buy games in places like that:

user posted image

Illegal? i know...
Original games of ps3 are too expensive here about 200R$ that costs in dollars about 100$,while in another country costs 45$ mercie_blink.gif

But today theres only original games of ps3 since almost no one (excluding my uncle that works in illegal jobs  cool.gif ) can copy bluray discs,so i buy them for this high price by legal ways... bored.gif

In Switzerland they're 115 dollars each and i buy them. In australia it's even more expensive.

Oakshaft
  • Oakshaft

Trick

• Members

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

So I was looking at my homework for one of my classes and there was numerous topics that we would be discussing after March break, but one struck me as odd, "Should it be legal to Pirate Media that is no longer for sale?"

So my question is, if a classic PC game is no longer in stores and you cant buy it from anywhere else, should it be legal to pirate it? ex. the year is 2020 and you cannot find a copy of GTA SA to buy online or in stores, but you can download it for free over a torrent website, should that be legal?

I think it should, I mean if a developer does not sell it anymore, it should be availible to download from somewhere else.

And yes I used the search key and I couldnt find any topics relating to this specifically, I used the terms "Pirate" "pirating"

SmC12
  • SmC12

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:32 PM

Well in a way it's just like buying second hand. If the company is no longer producing the product then your only option is to get it from someone else if it's not for sale. Pirating is getting it from someone else -a duplicate though, but it's still being shared- , so I don't see it being a problem.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Empty Pleasures and Desperate Measures since 1994

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:56 PM

There are many many topics on piracy. I've merged with an existing one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users