Piracy- Games, music and films

129 replies to this topic
Toup
  • Toup

Group: Cheesedicks

• Members

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:37 PM

Discuss here about it.

I think it will never stop, there will be always ways to avoid being detected. And what will they do? Inspect your computer with your personal info? And what about patched consoles, how are they going to find that out?

I personaly don't have an idea to stop this, before they ruin every gaming company.

I'm not going to lie, I have downloaded on or two games a couple years ago. It's so easy that even an 8 year old can do it.

Kratos2000
  • Kratos2000

;)

• Members

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:01 PM

There will never be a true discussion about it here, as moderators will only allow one kind of opinion on this subject to be posted.

Josh
  • Josh

Raus Raus Fila Fila

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:35 PM

Not true. It's perfectly fine for people on these boards to endorse piracy, however linking to piracy and asking questions about how to pirate certain games will only get you banned.

As for the question at hand as long as you aren't distributing the pirated material it is fine in my opinion. I'll post a more in depth response when I have more time...

Adler
  • Adler

Hello, Smith. ( -`)ノ

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:25 PM

There will always be a way to circumvent the system despite the hassle that companies take to protect their software. I don't think it will ruin the gaming/IT industry though. Not everyone downloads software illegally. Some will actually support the companies by paying for their products.

Furthermore, I'm not against the groups that pirate software. Some people just can't afford the things they want sometimes, though when they can, they should pay for the products they want. The groups aren't forcing people to download pirated software since they're only facilitating its free distribution. It's up to the people who downloads this software for free whether they want to support its creators by paying for them or not.

Hitman843
  • Hitman843

Hitman

• Members

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:28 PM

Piracy will never stop.Deal with it.

Sam998
  • Sam998

Banned

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:33 AM

I think that it's true, that "one" person downloading a game (or song) illegally doesn't do any harm. However, voicing opinions against it could influence a big enough mass not to do it that that could make a difference.

Raptomex
  • Raptomex

Listen to Slayer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:39 AM

It won't stop. And someone will always find a way. I don't really care. I'm sure enough people buy the game legit that that person/company is making enough money anyway.

Emhyr
  • Emhyr

Dragon Age

• Members

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:58 PM

Maybe when biggest gaming companies lower their prices of video games.That's why I buy games only worth of the money,but most of them are not.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:23 AM

I used to pirate games (computer games only, console games I'd buy one every now and then, but always original) back in a couple years ago. It really made me stop enjoying PC games, as they were all so easily acquirable.
But that was not without reason. My country, Brazil, has ridiculous importing taxes. For a console game, you're looking at between 200 BRL to 300 BRL (125 USD ~ 188 USD), which is completely unrealistic considering our minimum wage is around 300 USD. Not to mention the government does f*ck all with those taxes, and they have really no reason to exist, since Brazil is not a major game producer and does not compete with these kinds of products. Computer games are usually cheaper, around 70 USD, but they're hard to find, as most are ridiculously censored by our own censor board.

That all changed when I became acquainted with Steam, and was glad to pay the same price americans pay and that not a single penny of it went to my government.

I'm against piracy, but I'm also against ridiculous pricing. If games were priced reasonably according to the economic status of the region, then piracy would slowly disappear. I mean, PS2 games still sell for about 100~150 BRL at stores, which is completely ridiculous.

AlfieWilRus
  • AlfieWilRus

I don't know what this is

• Members

Posted 20 April 2011 - 03:47 AM

In poorer countries, piracy of programs or DVDs is completely fine. Back in Indonesia, every single mall had pirated DVDs or programs or games. And they would be extremely cheap at about a dollar a movie.

Emhyr
  • Emhyr

Dragon Age

• Members

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:08 AM

Say what you waynt to say,but I'm 100 % sure that people who download pirated games wouldnt buy a game,even if that game cost a dollar.

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE (Username482 @ Apr 20 2011, 15:38)
Say what you waynt to say,but I'm 100 % sure that people who download pirated games wouldnt buy a game,even if that game cost a dollar.

I disagree. There are people who download a pirated game first to test it out on their PC before deciding to splash money on it. I know because I'm one of them. Long time back, I downloaded Test Drive Unlimited, completed it, loved it and purchased the game because it was awesome and I wanted to experience its MP future. On a similar note, I downloaded TDU 2, found out that it runs horribly on both my desktop and laptop even though I meet the recommended requirements, didn't like the handling either... so now, I won't buy it.

That's the difference. Piracy does not fuel the losses that a particular gaming company incurs. Companies producing half decent games make enough profit to keep the company running and make more games. If that had not been the case, most of the major gaming corporations would have been shutdown by now.

Emhyr
  • Emhyr

Dragon Age

• Members

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE (girishb @ Apr 21 2011, 18:06)
QUOTE (Username482 @ Apr 20 2011, 15:38)

I disagree. There are people who download a pirated game first to test it out on their PC before deciding to splash money on it. I know because I'm one of them. Long time back, I downloaded Test Drive Unlimited, completed it, loved it and purchased the game because it was awesome and I wanted to experience its MP future. On a similar note, I downloaded TDU 2, found out that it runs horribly on both my desktop and laptop even though I meet the recommended requirements, didn't like the handling either... so now, I won't buy it.

That's the difference. Piracy does not fuel the losses that a particular gaming company incurs. Companies producing half decent games make enough profit to keep the company running and make more games. If that had not been the case, most of the major gaming corporations would have been shutdown by now.

Yes I know people like you,but why would you download pirated game,finish it,and then bought it? biggrin.gif That doesn't make sense at all,and I'm sure that MP can be played without original game with a few hacks (some games).Besides,if you want to "try" the game,then download the demo,trial or something...it's free and not illegal.

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:22 PM

I'm not sure if Atari released a demo for TDU. Besides, not all games release a demo before the launch (Example: GTA). For me, buying the game is more like saying thanks to the developers for making a great game. Also, in most cases, you buy a game only if you have experienced its prequels or if you're super hyped for it. I have fallen victim to hypes a lot many times before. If it's a new game series and you're not sure how it's going to turn out or play on your PC, there's no harm in trying it out first before splashing your hard earned money on it. Mind you, I'm only talking about the PC because I don't own a console and I don't know how rampant piracy is on consoles.

In India, unfortunately, there's no place where you can exchange games that you don't like for other second hand games. Couple that with high prices of legit games, piracy is very rampant over here. Rockstar took a brilliant step by slashing the prices of GTA IV and EFLC to just Rs.499 and it has helped them make more profit. I say this because I had a tough time finding IV after it was released for the PC. All the nearby stores had it sold out and I had to ask my mom to get it for me from a store near her office. This is something very unusual in India.

Andrew
  • Andrew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:31 PM

Considering demo's seem to becoming a thing of the past. It seems the only way to try a game before you buy it, is to pirate it. Let's face it, not everyone can just splash 40 - 50 on a game for it to not work correctly, or them not to enjoy the game. And once you've bought it you're stuck with it pretty much, unless you sell it on ebay or trade it in but you've lost money there.

One thing that really irks me about companies when they talk about pirating, they say it's lost sales. Technically to them it is, but realistically the people who have downloaded their product, may not of bought the game either way.

If that makes sense.

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE (Gangsta Killa @ Apr 22 2011, 21:01)
One thing that really irks me about companies when they talk about pirating, they say it's lost sales. Technically to them it is, but realistically the people who have downloaded their product, may not of bought the game either way.

If that makes sense.

It makes perfect sense. smile.gif

However, that is something most people don't seem to comprehend. Piracy, in a way, actually helps promote a lot of games that would have otherwise gone unnoticed. Especially, games that are brought out by smaller game companies. People will download their games, like them if they're good and proceed to buy them and hence, promote sales of the said games. Sales, which would have never happened in the first place if it wasn't for the fact that the game was available for free download for users to try out.

Andrew
  • Andrew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:29 PM

Glad it makes sense, kinda going from writing lines and lines of C# code to having to then write coherent posts on the forum!

I agree with that statement, I originally downloaded minecraft to see what all the fuss was about, and if I liked it. Which I did and then decided to buy it. The game's companies need to offer demos again that would cut a lot of piracy, although by continually increasing the filesize of games, that might also stop it!

M.A.K
  • M.A.K

Religion! ... Cause of Peace & War.

• Members
  • Pakistan

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:27 PM

piracy can never stop ,that is a fact ,i'm not saying i'm in favor of it but its just how games are sold in South Asian countries mostly ,but what is more annoying is that people make money by selling others mods made by many of us ,especially old classic mods some e.g(s):
http://img821.images...icture001xn.jpg

http://img857.images...picture003w.jpg

http://img863.images...picture002f.jpg

i did not buy them i borrowed them from a friend whose father owns a CD/DVD shop

edit : i did not use them as i dont use pirated games

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:45 PM

Don't really agree with it, but don't think you can stop it; I think the main problem with piracy is that people without money will pirate, and if they get caught for pirating. It's basically ironic because you're getting put in jail for being poor when you can't afford much.

I know music gets pirated to heck as well, games aren't too bad, but consoles are getting a lot of piracy these days now, not so much PC anymore.

Portal 2 got leaked about a week or a few days before release on the Xbox and PS3. Just says it all really.

I'll come clean also, if a game is leaked, I'll buy it for sure if the game actually appeals to me, did it with Mafia II and Crysis 2.

blitz
  • blitz

yeah no

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Newcomer of the Year 2011

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:24 AM

Where I live, believe it or not it is very hard to find an original game. Everything is pirated and costs like 90% less. San Andreas I bought pirated because I couldn't find an original copy, but EFLC and IV, as well as VCS and LCS were bought original.

d0mm2k8
  • d0mm2k8

ad infinitum

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE (Username482 @ Apr 20 2011, 11:08)

I've illegally downloaded a number of games and songs before. If it's sh*te I delete it, if it's good however, I support them by buying it.

I did pirate the uncut Manhunt 2 though, since it was only available for PC by legal download in the US, and not here in the UK.
Wasn't worth it.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:57 PM

The problem with piracy is nowhere near as bad as publishers/labels want you to believe. The losses quoted are usually numbers of copies downloaded times the full cost of the game/album, which is absolutely absurd.

First we start by considering elasticity of demand. All of the copies downloaded were acquired basically for free. Would all these people pay the full price if they couldn't download? Of course not. A small fraction would. Perhaps, many would pay a bargain price later on, but we are still talking a minor fraction of the number quoted. Next, how many of these people bought the game/album anyways? Personal experience and posts in this thread suggest that it's not a small number. Most, probably, at bargain prices, but these are still not sales lost.

So far, we are still talking losses, how about benefits of piracy? It's free advertisement. Sure, people who downloaded a copy did not contribute to the sales, but what about people they talked to? It's word-of-mouth advertising, and if the game is good, that is the best kind of advertising.

I'm not going to say that industry isn't taking losses due to piracy. I'm sure they do, but nowhere remotely as great as they claim. Why do they overinflate the estimates? Because it allows them to excuse their actions when the employ draconian measures in DRM. The reason these measures are put in place is to allow publishers to milk every last drop of possible revenue. But do they explain it that way? No, of course not. They spin the piracy as a catastrophic revenue loss, and trying to get their customers to blame pirates for the unnecessarily strict DRM.

I'm not going to talk about morality of piracy. It's a bunch of baloney. There is only one issue, and it is issue of social responsibility. You can acquire a game for free, but it does ultimately mean less money to developers. If you can spend money on a game you like, you should. End of story. How much you can spend is for you to figure out. Determine that amount, and buy the games made by people you think should have that money. At that point, your social obligation is complete. If you choose to download more games/music past that point, it's not actually harming anyone, so it's between you and whatever legal system is in place.

_Rob_
  • _Rob_

Game Dev, Graphics Artist

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:29 PM

I'll download the game pirated, to make sure it works on my PC, then I'll buy the disc, but normally keep the pirated version installed because I can't be arsed to swap discs. IMO there's nothing wrong with this surely.

DannyBee
  • DannyBee

Oh Zee...

• Members

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:55 PM

Too be fair I have pirate a few games sometimes, though it all depends, if it's a franchised game owned by a huge company I will probably pirate it and if I like it a real lot I'll buy it, but I will buy games off small indie developers because they need my money and I want to support them but I don't really want to support Activision for churning out the same game every year just re skinned with 1 new feature and even shorter single-player. bored.gif

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

Relevant jorts intensify.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:37 PM

The only times I find myself downloading games without paying is when the game is literally no longer available for purchase anywhere.

On that note, anyone know where I can acquire a copy of "Bad Mojo"? wink.gif

YankeesPwnMets
  • YankeesPwnMets

More Betterer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:11 PM

Here is my opinion on some things:

Microsoft Windows: Microsoft shouldn't be expecting people to be able to afford their horribly overpriced software. Same with Apple.

Music: Artists have enough money already. Those fools don't need anymore money. Same with actors and directors.

Games: They aren't that expensive, except for those 60 dollar new games. I really don't see why people pirate it. Just wait for some sort of Steam or Amazon sale and you could get some games for as little as $5

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

Relevant jorts intensify.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE (YankeesPwnMets @ May 12 2011, 18:11)
Music: Artists have enough money already. Those fools don't need anymore money. Same with actors and directors.

Nice generalization there homeslice.

Josh
  • Josh

Raus Raus Fila Fila

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:45 PM

QUOTE (YankeesPwnMets @ May 13 2011, 00:11)

So you'd be in favour of imposing a sort of oligopoly where only those who have built up enough money to be able to afford to have ther music given away can actually sustain themselves in the market. In fact your statement makes no real sense because they aren't fools, and many of the small bands scraping a living through iTunes downloads certainly don't have enough money...

YankeesPwnMets
  • YankeesPwnMets

More Betterer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (Josh @ May 13 2011, 17:45)
QUOTE (YankeesPwnMets @ May 13 2011, 00:11)

So you'd be in favour of imposing a sort of oligopoly where only those who have built up enough money to be able to afford to have ther music given away can actually sustain themselves in the market. In fact your statement makes no real sense because they aren't fools, and many of the small bands scraping a living through iTunes downloads certainly don't have enough money...

I am talking about those like Jay Z, Rihanna, Lady Gaga, etc. All the big names. The smaller, less popular artists, I don''t really listen to them.

Josh
  • Josh

Raus Raus Fila Fila

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:02 PM

That doesn't make your argument any less poor. Just because you don't listen to smaller artists doesn't mean that they don't have the right to survive and make money.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users