Headphones problem

18 replies to this topic
MarshDanni
  • MarshDanni

The Godfather

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:20 PM

Ok so I got a new PC and I tried my headphones and it didn't work I tried them on my laptop and they worked fine so i went to the sound options and its said that no headphones are plugged in but I plugged them I don't know what's the problem so if anyone could help me please also I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:29 PM

My GOD!! I had the same problem roughly 48 hours ago, and you know?!?! Windows 7 or 8 drivers AIN'T GONNA CUT the mustard if the mobo is using RealTek, so I'll tell you, Once I installed Realtek's Multisurround "Rxxx" driver to the Developer Preview Windows 8, on my HP Media Center m7160n PC, using the Limestone ASUS mobo, that dates to 2005, supporting Pentium D, anything Asus won't rely on Realtek however, my P5Q SE2 uses VIA's Vinyl, where again, load the proper audio support driver, it should do you well enough for built in Surround Digital, though most gamers will prefer a PCIe sound card or something "Creative"

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:34 PM

When you say you plugged them into the PC, where did you plug them in at?
Same port as what you use your speakers for, if you have speakers on that system, or the front of the case.

And despite Slamman's ramblings. Realtek audio and Windows 7 works just fine. No idea how anything he said helps with the problem.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:52 PM

No way man, I know it doesn't work fine, it SAYS it does, but it simply DOES NOT detect jacks physically plugged in, I documented my use of Win8 for YouTube, I might have recorded my experience, but you're best to use the proper driver, Realtek's driver was dated like nVidia's package released updates, Try it and then see, I bet money on a difference being detected

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:28 AM

First of all, none of that matters since we have no details on what his system is. All we know is that it's a desktop and the headphones don't work. No mention of OS, what sound card, what drivers and so on.

Secondly I said Win7. I have no idea about 8 and frankly I couldn't give 2 rat s**ts about 8.

MarshDanni
  • MarshDanni

The Godfather

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:49 PM

I plugged orange into orange and dark green into dark green

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:52 PM Edited by Slamman, 12 March 2012 - 04:00 PM.

With my tests, there's a GUI for audio showing the related color, front or back panel, and saying there was no jack detection, For my other Asus mobo, the one with Vinyl (the driver GUI) and VIA chipset, Windows 8 worked fine. I'd test Win7 too, but I had some problems booting that one, it was a temp install test of Home Premium I believe, I'd just found out by accident that Windows 8 did allow a hardware swap, but unregistered the copy, so you then have to go online again to re-register, though all updates on the first platform were done and it seems, won't have to repeat them going back online with it, It will be a test to see what MS allows as far as mobo swapping! haha

I'll agree with Wolf on the point of letting us know what computer you're dealing with, In my case, however, it's a known Asus made motherboard with a Realtek sound /codec chip, you can find this out with hardware detection like Astra, 64 bit and 32 bit are covered by Realtek's driver, as I recall, Windows 2K, XP, Vista, 7, all supported, so it was dependent on the year I believe, since I didn't bother to match the chip's model to the driver, and I got what I needed

The color coding is really just a simplified aid, it's entirely likely to change from system to system.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:54 PM

Yes but in the front or back of the system?

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:02 PM

I believe he's talking about headphones and speakers, just a guess, since normally it's green handling Left and Right stereo or mains in a surround setup (the one jack serves double duty as far as L/R front and rear and for Surround audio, one jack supplies Center channel and Subwoofer low effects channel, (never a required speaker in your system)

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:14 PM

Green is speaker out, or front speaker out for surround speakers.
Orange is mic in.
And I know he's talking about headphones, he said that at the start with....no guessing required. What I don't know is where exactly he's plugging them in at on his system; the front or rear ports. Thus I'm trying to get as much detail as possible.
We know the headphones themselves works just fine because he tried them on a laptop, as he also mentioned to start with.

And from the way you made it sound is if the green jack also works as not just the front but also the rear speakers, which is wrong.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:32 PM Edited by Slamman, 12 March 2012 - 05:35 PM.

Black is typically your rear, (mains refers to front stereo arrangement, in a surround setup) I know, but we will need to know more details, I'm saying Windows 8 and working with Windows 7 won't be a major departure, the GUI is, but bring up the original desktop and Win funtionality, it's very familiar, and Device Manager is STILL seen in Win8, I used Vista and Win7 drivers, so it's really not going to cause a problem compatibility wise

Try the required driver, because I know in more then one case, Windows uses an HD audio driver now, but it's still generic even from MS.

Should add, it is optional to mute when using headphones, not a necessity

MarshDanni
  • MarshDanni

The Godfather

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:19 PM

I plugged them into rear ports

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:29 AM

Try my advice, report back, As mentioned, specific in my case, the Windows driver loaded as "HD Audio" in Device Manager, but a proper downloaded driver for your mobo on the discs included, perhaps??
Should supplement use with Window's own VOLUME control on the task bar, for example, there maybe, when properly installed, two audio task bar icons, one with the proper driver, adding more features and full support
We need to know more about the specific mobo and what support came with it.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:47 AM

QUOTE (MarshDanni @ Monday, Mar 12 2012, 17:19)
I plugged them into rear ports

Ok good.
Can I assume that your sound card is seen correctly by Windows? You have a speaker icon in the system tray and if you tried to play a video or audio file it'll play just fine, minus the part that you can't hear it.
Do you have speakers connected as well and if so do those work?

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:53 AM Edited by Slamman, 13 March 2012 - 04:01 AM.

You can't assume a sound card I would imagine, though, certainly possible when the increased chances of different color receptacle outputs.

Still, sadly lacking in information on the hardware, give up a bit more to go on, I assume the problem still exists, front and rear outputs?

MarshDanni
  • MarshDanni

The Godfather

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

my sound card is working fine

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

So, it's resolved, or is there an issue with the mainboard sound? In a standard situation, your card over-rides the mainboard audio, but I did test some more on my own system, since I did quickly format Windows 7, and again a generic HD Audio driver!! However, for my Biostar mainboard, it wasn't a problem this time

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

@Marsh
I really wish you just give more details as much as possible so I don't have to ask so many questions.
OK so let's do a run down here.....
The OS sees the sound card correctly and has no problems playing audio. But when you plug in your headphones into the green speaker port in the back there is no sound at all. And I hopefully can safely assume the main volume within Windows (the little speaker icon in the system tray) is all the way up.
How many audio ports do you have in the back?
What is the speaker configuration set to? Control Panel->Sound->Playback->Speakers->Configure
What sound card do you have? Control Panel->System->Device Manager->Sound...etc...->??

@Slamman
I'm using "sound card" as a universal term to mean the audio device be it an on-board or PCI/E physical card.
Now then if he does have a physic card as well as on-board audio and his system is set to use, let's say, the physical card but he's plugging into the on-board then yes that's a problem. And hopefully with my last inquiring we'll find out what "sound card" he has and hopefully there will only be 1 listed....not including the HDMI port(s) on video cards.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:46 AM Edited by Slamman, 14 March 2012 - 01:50 AM.

I don't usually refer to the onboard IC for audio as the CODEC, but somewhere I've seen that referenced as well, all the more confusing, but essentially, Codec covers encoding and decoding.

It would make a difference if you're using the computer's normal audio jacks, if there's a card, it can have ports to front panel assignments in a case, but the motherboard has it's own output jacks, so everything is basically an enclosed architecture

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users