• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:11 AM

favorite TV series of all time?
it's a tie.

The Sopranos and Deadwood.
both from HBO.

I could go into why and talk for hours.
but there's no point unless you've seen the shows for yourself.

anyone who knows anything about the medium of storytelling and film making that has seen these shows would agree; nothing has ever really come close to being as good as they were in every aspect; the story, characters, acting, writing, direction, cinematography, editing, costume and set design. they were the perfect shows in every way and nothing before or after them has been anywhere near the same level of excellence.

Marlowe.
  • Marlowe.

I Still Jerk-off Manually

• Members

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:24 AM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Monday, Mar 26 2012, 10:11)
favorite TV series of all time?
it's a tie.

The Sopranos and Deadwood.
both from HBO.

I could go into why and talk for hours.
but there's no point unless you've seen the shows for yourself.

anyone who knows anything about the medium of storytelling and film making that has seen these shows would agree; nothing has ever really come close to being as good as they were in every aspect; the story, characters, acting, writing, direction, cinematography, editing, costume and set design they were the perfect shows in every way and nothing before or after them has been anywhere near the same level of excellence.

Have you seen either The Wire or Mad Men? I'm not going to argue your opinion - to each his own, yada yada yada - but there are most definitely shows that do come close, and many would argue that they surpass the shows you mention. monocle.gif

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:07 AM

well in a nutshell...

The Sopranos completely reset the stage for everything that has come since on both the large and small screen.
it managed to be cerebral, complex, focused, and coherent while also visceral, intense, haunting, and tragic while still being fascinating, exciting, curious, and hilarious. ultimately it had no message, no morals, no sap, no mush, no filler, no drainer - it was nothing but pace and style drizzled over the universal themes of life, death, and the little things in between. it was almost too perfect, it felt so real, it was simultaneously beautiful and terrifying. it was a reflection of us; ordinary people in all shapes, sizes, and situations. it didn't matter that the world in which the characters existed could hardly be imagined by most people (power, wealth, excess, violence). those characters were as close to human as a figment of someone's imagination could ever be. anyone could find someone on the show to relate to or feel like they knew, either through their personality or in their all-too-common struggles.

it didn't really matter who you were, The Sopranos managed to portray such a photogenic reality that you kept forgetting it was fiction.
watching new episodes for the first time (without any knowledge of what's coming) is an experience you'll only have once when you watch a TV series. this experience with The Sopranos was like nothing that has come before or since - it was like plugging into the Matrix, ignorance is bliss. I've never been more attached to "people" who society normally considers the bad guys; cheering for, feeling sorry, and empathizing with murderers, criminals, and thugs.

it really was surreal.
when it was over you had dreams about it, the people and the events, like it was all a memory from a distant past life.

most shows are still just shows.
and there's been a lot of great shows which are great for different reasons. and some can momentarily suspend your disbelief and some can make you care about their characters and some have clever plot lines. but they're still not like The Sopranos, the sustained level of excellence, something about that show it was just the total package. anyone who watched it from start to finish will tell you there's nothing else like it.

Boardwalk Empire is shaping up to follow in a similar vein but it's not quite there yet.
Game of Thrones is also poised to make a similar run but is too early to call.

The Wire might be close depending on which season(s) you're referring to.
but it's consistency does not begin to compare to that of The Sopranos; week-in and week-out it was the most well developed long-form drama ever produced at such continually high levels of performance and delivery. The Wire is certainly up there at times though it fails to maintain this degree of quality for as long or as often as the boys from Jersey.

Deadwood can avoid the criteria of consistency because it was too short-lived at just 3 seasons, but plenty of consistency was there already. most would argue that in spite of how incredible those 3 seasons were, the show was really just hitting it's stride when it was given the axe for being too expensive. those 3 years were more than enough however to establish Deadwood firmly alongside the likes of the greatest TV and/or movie dramas ever created. it's at least as good as The Sopranos in terms of its production values and only falls slightly short due to its untimely demise which killed any possibility of finishing the storylines and fleshing out the remaining secondary and tertiary characters.
but for all other intents and purposes - if you could only compare 1 season to just 1 season - The Sopranos and Deadwood are tied.

Mad Men is perhaps the single best network TV show ever made and easily the best show on right now. "network" as in basic cable, as in any show that's not made for "premium" channels that you have to pay extra for. any show that has commercial breaks is "network TV."
so in that respect Mad Men is by far the most well written, best acted, and most bold/creative show being produced under network cable restrictions (for graphic language, adult themes, and sexual content). unfortunately it's competition is not very strong because most network TV shows are cookie-cutter, sappy, bullsh*t with little creativity if any... or reality shows.
but this doesn't diminish how well Mad Men stands out on its own merits. it's very healthy for network TV and we could use more shows like it.

that being said, even Mad Men also doesn't begin to compare to Sopranos or Deadwood.
it's a really great show that is very well cast but it will never be able to travel too far off the beaten path. there are certain aspects of its plot devices and character complexions that it will never be able to explore and that must remain somewhat dry and predictable. this is not really the shows fault either, merely a reality. if Mad Men could be converted to premium cable (HBO, ShowTime, CineMax) then it actually has all the potential for being able to meet the Sopranos on some level.

but not as it exists today.

Chunkyman
  • Chunkyman

Foot Soldier

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:32 AM

I'm really into Game of Thrones right now. It's like Lord of the Rings, but a TV show. Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

The Scottish Guy
  • The Scottish Guy

Toasty!

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

@El_Diablo

You counldn't be more right. Everything in your summary of the Sopranos is exactly how I feel about the show. It really does make you feel like you know the characters personally from some kind of past.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:06 PM

@El_Diablo: Wow, great words on The Sopranos man. You nailed it.

Marlowe.
  • Marlowe.

I Still Jerk-off Manually

• Members

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:39 PM

See, I feel like El Diablo's write-up of The Sopranos could just as easily have been about The Wire. They really are one and two as far as dramatic television is concerned.
That said, great job. icon14.gif

Nick Foster
  • Nick Foster

I like bagels. They're better than you.

• Members

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:08 AM

Since I play on an American Football team, Friday Night Lights really appealed to me, which I thought was my favorite. Drama, drugs, teenage stuff, and most of all, the actual thrill of a Football game, and how deeply the tradition is rooted in parts of America. I absolutely loved it.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:18 AM

QUOTE (Marlowe. @ Wednesday, Mar 28 2012, 16:39)
See, I feel like El Diablo's write-up of The Sopranos could just as easily have been about The Wire. They really are one and two as far as dramatic television is concerned.
That said, great job. icon14.gif

well they're pretty close, I tried to make that clear without sounding too harsh.

the deal-breaker for me comes down to consistency.
The Wire was superb in virtually every aspect but compared to Sopranos it just wasn't superb for as long or as often.

it's a fine line.
I have nothing against The Wire. fantastic drama.

ugotsmoked
  • ugotsmoked

I MUST BREAK YOU

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:53 AM

1. Breaking Bad
2. 24
3. The Shield
4. The Office (US)
5. Louie

1 user(s) are reading this topic