Left Speaker not working

4 replies to this topic
WedgeAntilles
  • WedgeAntilles

on the braes o' killiecrankie o

• Members

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:22 PM

Right I have a fairly old Sony Vaio PCG 381M

Latley my left speaker has stopped working! I have run diagnostics etc and computer tells me it is happy. I have tried listening through headphones AND external speakers all to no avail.
Does this mean that as opposed to the actual speaker not working that some connection for left output has come loose (my laptop has been dropped on more than one occasion).
If this is the case anybody have any idea how easy it is to repair and where would be the best place to get it done?
If anyone has any other questions that may pertain to a solution I will do my best to answer.

Otherwise all help will be appreciated!

Cheers

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:47 PM

Just so I've got this right. When you play anything through the phones as well as the laptop speakers there is no sound on the left.
Silly question, did you check the balance in the Sound settings?

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:22 PM Edited by Slamman, 09 March 2012 - 08:31 PM.

In a laptop, check up online for your speaker set part number, any helpful sites showing disassembly, and think of getting the speakers and wiring off eBay, you may open up your unit to find the connecting point is damaged, even plastics can easily break, as you say, been dropped. I'd suspect physical issue/s.

I should say, my experience with Sony Vaio K series is extensive enough, a replacement mobo might be the best way to remedy it, Believe me, I did that process, the board cost me $25 on eBay, it was well within reason, and replaces any number of problems, now the palmrest is non working, a replacement is $11 to $15 in the low end on eBay, so all in all, that maybe the best solution, since Sony puts a lot on their mainboard, there are some connecting boards, a power outlet that's wired, so easily replaced, a powerboard to batt, etc, also off the mainboard.
Speakers, stereo, are on the power button trim panel, the one that leads entry into the laptop, between keyboard and screen, the 04 K series pulls straight up, once you fold the screen back. The speakers and panel have one flex cable to the mainboard

Example I Googled:
user posted image
Your model on eBay is severely lacking items, but a pair of speakers ARE here, if ever need be;

http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_2179wt_1058

I found a Non English site, sighting your system specs, sounds like what my Acer 4710 should be, a T7600 CPU is my intended upgrade, I had a T7200 IIRC, matched to a higher Intel Northbridge in the Compaq 6710b model, wouldn't mate to the Acer's 479m PGA
Different pins, that's a key in this processor range, the bus speeds tops out below 800Mhz
Having the graphics card is what I'm after on mine!

http://0kazii.ro/lap...vidia-8400m-gt/

Checked the specs, my 07 Acer 4710 is a near match really, same Wifi card I've got and using now! My Ram came as 512MB of DDR2, but upgraded to dual channel 1GB (2 at present) but my mobo allows 4GB max!!

WedgeAntilles
  • WedgeAntilles

on the braes o' killiecrankie o

• Members

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:22 AM

Thanks guys, sorry for the slow reply etc.
@Wolf Balance all seems ok as far as I can see (maybe I'm doing it wrong. As stated I'm not tech savy at all mercie_blink.gif )
@Slamman, thanks for a genuinely informative reply! I wouldn't have a clue how to fix new speakers in myself (yes I'm sure its quite simple!) I will see if perhaps I can get a more tech savy mate to have a look when he actually gets a chance, in return for a bottle of wine, that will probably be the cheapest way for me!
I did pop back that front section (eventually and it didn't seem that happy about being pried open!) and it looks ok to my un-trained eyes!

Once again guys, many thanks for your input. Very grateful cool.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:58 AM

Of all the used tech I have with speakers issues I've dealt with, the Compal Spartan PIII laptop I have has one speaker's volume reduced, it works fine via headphones, a cheap man's fix is to adjust the balance control over to the weaker speaker.
The other speaker problem is my Dell soundbar I got for a song. Attaches to a standard Dell widescreen, plugs in for audio power via the screen itself
The problem is one speaker rarely functioning, the problem there is not the speaker, it's the wiring
...And the speaker or amp, less likely, is also a problem in my CCD-TRV99 Sony Handycam, I did have it worked on professionally, but even I won't bother taking it apart to remedy the audio, it's speaker amp only, headphone circuit is fine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users