Photo

Hypothetical R* Press Release

47 replies to this topic
MIKON8ERISBACK
  • MIKON8ERISBACK

My real name is Michael. #FACT.

• Members

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:44 AM

The following is a hypthetical press release I typed out in half an hour's time with a little inspiration from the GTA V Forum.

The year is 2014. Grand Theft Auto V has been out for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 for some time. It has won
numerous awards and ushered in a video gaming revolution the likes of which have never been seen since the launch
of Grand Theft Auto III in October of 2001. R* is about to announce s paid DLC (downloadable content) expansion
pack that will be released in the coming months. But first, a group of developers at R* North's headquarters in
Edinburgh, UK are conducting a secret meeting deciding the fate of the legendary GTA San Andreas high definition
remaster for the PlayStation 3.
The topics raised include the re-working of textures, addition of exclusive missions and challenges, and the
re-addition of features that were removed from the original version. A man who wishes to remain nameless has
argued the cult status of the protagonist, Carl Johnson, and how a final homeage to one of the greatest video
games of all time must be made. Features implemented include ragdoll physics, RAGE collision detection, and every
aspect that was found in the gameplay of Grand Theft Auto IV. In addition, the new vehicles will include San
Andreas license plates and car customization at all of the same mod shops that were found in the old version of
San Andreas.
The concept is similar to the simplistic GTA IV: San Andreas map replacement for the PC version of Grand Theft
Auto IV, except with all of the old missions, side missions, and hidden challenges in addition to some new ones
combined with the RAGE/Euphoria physics engine, support for 1080p/high definition display, Dolby Digital 5.1
surround sound, television shows and newscasts, and the Sony PlayStation 3 Sixaxis/Dualshock 3 controller.
All in all: It's the best elements of GTA San Andreas combined with the best elements of Grand Theft Auto IV.
Another developer instigates a discussion regarding what the overall resolution of the textures will be, the
answer: the same resolution of textures that was found in Grand Theft Auto IV. Virtually all the textures will be
re-worked and published at a higher resolution allowing for greater detail and visual quality.
We're aiming for an October 2014 release date. No further details can be given at this time.

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:24 AM

They're already re-releasing Vice City and GTA3 onto PS3 on their presumably original format, on the online store for download. If it ain't broke don't fix it, they were classics how they were, nothing you could ever do can make it any better (even if you chucked a bucket load of extra features in and prettied it up).

It's kind of like somebody trying to tell me my childhood sucked, so here, travel back in time and take an iPad, Macbook Pro, PS3 with you.

interpolfan11
  • interpolfan11

Lions 7-8 NG

• Members

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:27 AM Edited by interpolfan11, 09 March 2012 - 05:46 AM.

I would honestly rather have R* dedicate their resources to creating new experiences rather than rehashing old ones.

ccrogers15
  • ccrogers15

REQUESTED BAN

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:36 AM Edited by ccrogers15, 09 March 2012 - 04:57 AM.

Its only gonna be for PS3. GTA 3 and VC were rated by ESRB for ps3, and if it was also for 360 it would of been rated the same time for each. Its either an HD release or normal PS2 classics that PS3 has been getting on the psstore like this:

user posted image

Btw, it might also come as:
user posted image
This is what i posted about it before:
Remember how sony recently introduced HD collections? Maybe Sony bought rights to get GTA 3 and VC on PS3 in HD. Think, this year is the 15th Ani of GTA. Many franchises are doing that now, mainly for Playstation 3 due to sony buying the rights of exclusive content. Im thinking this is the case for GTA 3 and GTA VC.

This would be a perfect thing with release date wise. GTA games usually release in October. GTA was released in October 1997. this year is the 15th ani of the series. So... in october, GTA HD collection may be released on PURPOSE to raise hype even more for GTA V. Im just guessing this is the case.

So, most likely its coming for only PS3, as sony has actually been paying devs to do exclusive HD remakes, like tomb raider HD collection. They pay devs to make the HD remasters exclusive on purpose. So here comes GTA 3 and VC HD for ps3. My guess, is its gonna be released in october. To raise hype for GTA V, as gta 5 will be released in october most likely, because all gta games have been released in october (most anyways).

Gtaghost22
  • Gtaghost22

• Members

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:31 AM

If they did a San Andreas HD re-master then they will only release it for PS3, just like what they did with Vice City and GTA III which is fine by me becuase i'm a PS3 owner

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

I thought I would only need this meme for a few weeks...or so

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:43 AM

I like this idea and it would be cool to play as CJ again in the new re-imagined HD Los Santos.

I think that even fits the spirit of what drove Rockstar to return to Los Angeles as the base for GTAV - the desire to do something like GTA-SA even better than before, on the new consoles and PCs, at the pinnacle of their capability and game engine development. I was certainly hoping that Rockstar would come back to Los Angeles, and they did. It has incredible potential for stories, settings, landscapes, and in general is a unique place on earth.

Movie studios have rebooted Batman about three times, so it's not impossible to conceive of a reboot of GTA-SA and CJ, a true milestone in gaming.

Good thought, nice press release -- hey, maybe you can send it to The Onion and the mainstream media will accidentally pick it up as a real story - give Rockstar some ideas ... colgate.gif

Rauland
  • Rauland

Test your might

• Members

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:45 AM

suicidal.gif
what is peoples obsession with a gta sa ramake or gta sa stories? Wasn't the original good enough?

ccrogers15
  • ccrogers15

REQUESTED BAN

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:49 AM

QUOTE (Rauland @ Friday, Mar 9 2012, 05:45)
suicidal.gif
what is peoples obsession with a gta sa ramake or gta sa stories? Wasn't the original good enough?

Because its better to revamp them for future generations. At least thats what other companies say with there HD remakes.

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:54 AM

QUOTE (ccrogers15 @ Friday, Mar 9 2012, 05:49)
suicidal.gif

Because its better to revamp them for future generations. At least thats what other companies say with there HD remakes.

Revamp them? They are classics, as they stand. That's like saying you're gonna go back and revamp Abbey Road for future audiences. Not likely.

TheGreene2010
  • TheGreene2010

GTA Forums is a hopeless wretched place

• Members

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:57 AM

The MGSHD didn't have revamped textures, just support for HDTVs, 360 and PS3. Thats how they should do it with the trilogy. If your like me, nostalgia is better then updated graphics.

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

I thought I would only need this meme for a few weeks...or so

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:29 AM

QUOTE (LotusRIP @ Friday, Mar 9 2012, 05:54)
Revamp them? They are classics, as they stand. That's like saying you're gonna go back and revamp Abbey Road for future audiences. Not likely.

I dig what you are saying, but actually, publishers do go back and remix or remaster old songs, soundtracks and albums. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so well.

I think a better analogy is that when classic movies are remade, they are usually disappointing. But games are not quite like movies - there is no "Turner Classic Games Channel" where people can casually just drop in and play a bit of an old game (though actually that might be a damn good idea); there is a more active choice needed if someone wants to play an old classic game. It causes a "generation gap" in game experiences.

So I suggest that Rockstar could get a ton of mileage out of a revamped HD GTA-SA / CJ game, for people who were too young when the game came around the first time and missed it all together. They will never go back and play the classic game - first because the graphics would look cartoony compared to their modern tastes, and second because nobody would have the antique consoles to play the old games. The new game could be a combination of previous situations and new ones, as the OP suggested. Most of us who played the original would probably be compelled to buy it - I know I would.

Yes, I understand that it would be (and is going to be) a turn-the-crank no-brainer to port the existing III era games to new consoles and to mobile phones, as they have now done with GTA III. But separately, I would suggest that a GTAV DLC with CJ could somehow work and be profitable.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:32 AM

QUOTE (LotusRIP @ Friday, Mar 9 2012, 04:24)
They're already re-releasing Vice City and GTA3 onto PS3 on their presumably original format, on the online store for download. If it ain't broke don't fix it, they were classics how they were, nothing you could ever do can make it any better (even if you chucked a bucket load of extra features in and prettied it up).

It's kind of like somebody trying to tell me my childhood sucked, so here, travel back in time and take an iPad, Macbook Pro, PS3 with you.

ie; Nothing to write home about, I'd say, NOT HD reinvents or reboots as some had hoped

ll rdny ll
  • ll rdny ll

Master of the Bitchfit

• Members

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:35 AM Edited by rodneythesavior, 09 March 2012 - 07:40 AM.

QUOTE (MIKON8ERISBACK @ Thursday, Mar 8 2012, 19:44)
The following is a hypthetical press release I typed out in half an hour's time with a little inspiration from the GTA V Forum.

Explains idea

So, what you're talking about isn't actually an HD Collection type release, but a complete remake? I don't see it happening, (as much as I would like it) I mean, Rockstar has plenty of studios that they could assign to work on it. Meaning Rockstar Anonymous would work on the Remake, while Rockstar Everything-Else works on new games. (Kinda like what 343i did with Sabre Interactive and Halo:CEA) I just doubt they would actually be willing to do the amount of work that would be required to do what you're suggesting. It's alot of work, they would have to rebuild everything to work with RAGE and Euphoria, redesign the character/car models, re-script everything... It might not be worth it in Rockstar's eyes. (They would probably have to charge full $60USA for the game. It would be a brand new game, besides the story.)

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:55 AM

Not to mention, what the f*ck do you think GTAV basically is...

MiamiVice1984
  • MiamiVice1984

Hey There Officer, Nice Badge, Nice Badge.

• Members

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:10 AM

GTA III and Vice City is pretty much confirmed and will be on PSN for download most likely for Vice Citys 10th anniversary.

HeNDo6750
  • HeNDo6750

Soldier

• Members

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:27 AM Edited by HeNDo6750, 09 March 2012 - 08:29 AM.

When is R* re-releasing GTA III and VC on PS3 as i would like to know as that will keep me distracted until V gets released

Can't wait for the best PS2 classics to be re-released

MiamiVice1984
  • MiamiVice1984

Hey There Officer, Nice Badge, Nice Badge.

• Members

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:40 AM

QUOTE (HeNDo6750 @ Friday, Mar 9 2012, 08:27)
When is R* re-releasing GTA III and VC on PS3 as i would like to know as that will keep me distracted until V gets released

Can't wait for the best PS2 classics to be re-released

No release date has been confirmed yet. But Vice citys 10th anniversary seems like the right time for them to release it.

ccrogers15
  • ccrogers15

REQUESTED BAN

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:45 AM Edited by ccrogers15, 09 March 2012 - 08:50 AM.

QUOTE (LotusRIP @ Friday, Mar 9 2012, 05:54)
QUOTE (ccrogers15 @ Friday, Mar 9 2012, 05:49)
suicidal.gif

Um yea, revamp them. After playing GTA IV and V, people WILL be turned off by the graphics, and consoles cant do mods (legally.). Also, like i said, Its most likely just PS2 classics ports for PS3, because PS3 CANT play PS2 games on the slim, but all xbox 360 systems can play there old games. This is just to open the game up to ps3 users who own a non backwards compatible unit.

And other PS2 classics on ESRB become rated like: "GAME NAME HERE-PS2 CLASSICS". Since this dont say ps2 classics, its most likely a PS3 port with trophy support, or HD revamps.

user posted image

Lets not forget PSvita and PS3 have cross play. They are set to appear at sonys "PSVITA GAME HEAVEN" tomorrow in japan. They most likely will give details then. Maybe GTA 3 And VC will finally get official online support, and be able to have cross play with vita and ps3.

The live stream for those interested will be here: http://www.jp.playst...om/gametengoku/

HydraulicWaRiOr
  • HydraulicWaRiOr

Moe Boats

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:56 AM

It's very hard to be able to play our favorite games again, I have been looking hard for a copy of GTA San Andreas that works for the 360, but have failed to do so, I really want to play it again and hope that they can put it on PS3 confused.gif

ccrogers15
  • ccrogers15

REQUESTED BAN

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

QUOTE (HydraulicWaRiOr @ Friday, Mar 9 2012, 08:56)
It's very hard to be able to play our favorite games again, I have been looking hard for a copy of GTA San Andreas that works for the 360, but have failed to do so, I really want to play it again and hope that they can put it on PS3 confused.gif

[Supreme]

Um you do know its available on XBL right? Also, people should be able to just pop the disk in fine on XB360 and play.

HydraulicWaRiOr
  • HydraulicWaRiOr

Moe Boats

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE (ccrogers15 @ Friday, Mar 9 2012, 08:58)

Um you do know its available on XBL right? Also, people should be able to just pop the disk in fine on XB360 and play.

My XBL doesn't work right now, I need a network adapter. And only certain disks work on the 360, which makes it even harder.

I want it on PSN so I can download it wirelessly. Plus, I'd like to see it in HD.

ll rdny ll
  • ll rdny ll

Master of the Bitchfit

• Members

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE (HydraulicWaRiOr @ Friday, Mar 9 2012, 01:02)
QUOTE (ccrogers15 @ Friday, Mar 9 2012, 08:58)

[Supreme]

My XBL doesn't work right now, I need a network adapter. And only certain disks work on the 360, which makes it even harder.

I want it on PSN so I can download it wirelessly. Plus, I'd like to see it in HD.

[Supreme]

If you have an ethernet cable and a laptop/computer, You can connect the Ethernet cable from your Xbox to your PC, bridge the connections in Control Panel, and download the game. (Playing games online is a touch-and-go situation though. It sets your NAT to Strict, and there's no way to get around it, because the connection is bridged.)

But you'll be able to play the game.

ccrogers15
  • ccrogers15

REQUESTED BAN

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:24 AM

Like i said in a before post, just wait till october. October this year is one of many things:

1. GTA 15Th Ani
2. GTA VC 10th Ani
3. GTA V may release on this month

Most likely, GTA 3 and VC will be ported in october, to raise hype for GTA V.

TenEightyOne
  • TenEightyOne

We're bouncing now?

• Members

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (MIKON8ERISBACK @ Friday, Mar 9 2012, 03:44)
... a group of developers at R* North's headquarters in Edinburgh, UK are conducting a secret meeting ...

D'oh, not so secret any more smile.gif

Nice idea overall - but I can't see it happening... but would definitely be cool smile.gif

Bad Azz
  • Bad Azz

Buddah

• Members

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE (HydraulicWaRiOr @ Friday, Mar 9 2012, 03:56)

[Supreme]

Yea you can download it on the XBL Marketplace. This what i did.

ziggymank
  • ziggymank

Alpha AF

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:54 PM

What is everyone's obsession with Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas? I mean, I see the appeal and I love all of the endless amount of things to do, but the story was garbage... I prefer stories about mature adults who are living the life of crime, not immature kids in their late teens who have to support their "brothers" who all wear the same colored shirts and all live in the same house. It's not the right premise for a GTA IMO.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:03 PM

A bit off topic but is it possible to get a PS2 to look good on an HDTV. I hooked it up to play SA and I was shocked it how bad it looked. I just want them to look good on the new formats. Maybe they can make a limited edition of V where San Andreas comes with it on a seperate disk.

Isuck100%
  • Isuck100%

Hasa Diga Eebowai!

• Members

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

I understand releasing them on the PS3 since the console is not backwards-compatible with PS2 games, but I already own the last gen GTA games as original Xbox titles and they play fine on the Xbox 360.

MIKON8ERISBACK
  • MIKON8ERISBACK

• Members

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:02 PM

It was actually the slimline version of the PS3 that removed backward capability, that and a crapload of other hardware capabilities. The original version had a CF card slot, a Sony trademarked patented "memory card" slot, an SD card slot, and not two, but four USB ports. The slimline version has NONE of the aforementioned card slots.

MIKON8ERISBACK
  • MIKON8ERISBACK

• Members

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:53 PM

Can someone explain why this was moved to the GTAV forum from the San Andreas forum? I thought GTA V and San Andreas were unrelated in most senses.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users