Hell on Wheels Debug Team

12 replies to this topic
Big_Mitch_Baker
  • Big_Mitch_Baker

== Angels of Death - Founder

• Angels of Death MC

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:39 PM

Hello good folks of the Modding section smile.gif

Seems the joyfull release of my Mod has recently been marred by some less-than-joyful crashes. Strangely, some people report the mod works fine while others crash right at the loading screen (or anywhere in between). I myself while play testing experienced a few crashes, but was able to play through several hours in one sitting without any problems.

So here's the deal, I need the help of the coders out there to debug this issue. I've done my best to make the mod stable, but I just don't have the coding skills to go any further alone. Any help is appreciated, from debugging the scm to some simple advice.

The mod can be found here: GTA Hell on Wheels mod

I thought the problem might be a corrupted file but I haven't found anything yet, and I find it odd that some people don't seem to be having trouble at all with it. I should also add that a lot of external scripts were removed, could be an issue but again why only for some?

It would be a shame to let this great mod suffer from such needless crashes.
Thank you for any help, much appreciated icon14.gif

THE DEBUG TEAM
--------------------

ChopTheDog.
  • ChopTheDog.

War. War never changes.

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:44 PM Edited by The_Sorrow, 08 March 2012 - 03:49 PM.

Finally, a debug topic, Did you read my post in your topic?

I tried the game and it crashed after loading, Since the main gets loaded right at the end I'm assuming its a main problem, You should scan the main and check for any silly errors made

Need any help?

I'm always a PM away icon14.gif

EDIT: I just checked my main (After installing your MOD) and it has no missions or any newly added code, It looks like a basic stripped main, You did upload the correct files right?

Big_Mitch_Baker
  • Big_Mitch_Baker

• Angels of Death MC

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:01 PM Edited by Big_Mitch_Baker, 08 March 2012 - 04:04 PM.

yes, I just double checked them now smile.gif

Now I've noticed that, if running windows 7, one doesn't have the "admin permissions" (run as admin or something like that) set it doesn't actually overwrite the original files. I had that problem early on when I copied my modded files over my unmodded SA and I was still playing the original game as CJ (I was like WTF!!!! couldn't figure it out for the longest time 'cause it didn't make sense to me why windows said it copied and replaced the files but it didn't actually do it...I forgot to have admin permissions confused.gif )

I'm not suggesting that's the real problem here though, as other people have stated that their game loads but crashes at random during missions or driving around. I suspect the problem may be in the external scripts, they're messy and most were removed at the last minute.

ChopTheDog.
  • ChopTheDog.

War. War never changes.

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:03 PM

So you're saying when i copied your files to my GTA SA directory it missed some files?

Big_Mitch_Baker
  • Big_Mitch_Baker

• Angels of Death MC

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

It's a possibility, although not likely. You could try individually copying over the scm file and replacing the old one manually, and make sure to run your SA as administrator (right click and select if you have to). Kinda grasping at straws though to be honest.
(I know there can be problems if it tries to run the game from your disc instead off hard-drive, but then you wouldn't have a stripped scm confused.gif )

I'm now going to try downloading the file again and seeing if maybe something happened to it after upload(?), just another shot in the dark. Also gonna try out my theory with the external scripts. I should also ask someone who's copy is working if they can help figure this out.

bigpapi_89
  • bigpapi_89

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

i got a problem during one mission "infiltrator", when you have to escape from the pleasure doms and a helicopter follows you the game crashes i don't know why cuz i get rid of cleo mods and still crashing in that part and its really annoying... plz if you can help me

pd: sorry for poor english i hope you can understand what i wrote

Big_Mitch_Baker
  • Big_Mitch_Baker

• Angels of Death MC

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

I understand, your english is actually very good icon14.gif

All I can suggest is that you play the mission up to the pleasure domes part, then purposely fail then go save. The mission has "checkpoints" so when you try the mission again you won't have to do the whole thing again before the helicopter part. This way if it crashes, you can load your game try the mission again and maybe if you're lucky you'll be able to finish the mission. Hope that helps somewhat.

Sadly the crash itself is random, as other people have reported being able to complete that mission (and yet others couldn't even get to it confused.gif ). At this point re-trying the mission until it works is the only solution until some real coders get in here and help me with fixing it tounge.gif

And congrats on getting so far, you're only a few missions away from the end of the game wow.gif

bigpapi_89
  • bigpapi_89

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE (Big_Mitch_Baker @ Sunday, Mar 11 2012, 15:01)
I understand, your english is actually very good icon14.gif

All I can suggest is that you play the mission up to the pleasure domes part, then purposely fail then go save. The mission has "checkpoints" so when you try the mission again you won't have to do the whole thing again before the helicopter part. This way if it crashes, you can load your game try the mission again and maybe if you're lucky you'll be able to finish the mission. Hope that helps somewhat.

Sadly the crash itself is random, as other people have reported being able to complete that mission (and yet others couldn't even get to it confused.gif ). At this point re-trying the mission until it works is the only solution until some real coders get in here and help me with fixing it tounge.gif

And congrats on getting so far, you're only a few missions away from the end of the game wow.gif

thanks 4 your help i will do it, i didn't know the mission has checkpoints thats great cuz i wanna know the end of this awesome history i really enjoyed play all the missions its pretty interesting and i almost forgot to give thanks for the mod excellent work

Big_Mitch_Baker
  • Big_Mitch_Baker

• Angels of Death MC

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words about the mod biggrin.gif

I hope that playing from the checkpoint might help "get past" the crash, and I hope you do get to finish the game. If you're stuck and really want to know how the game ends, you can always check out the GTA:HOW Strategy Guide icon14.gif

bigpapi_89
  • bigpapi_89

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:40 AM

bro i want to ask you if you have a savegame with that mission passed cuz i tried what you said and didn't work and i tried more than 33 times and i decide to give up trying to pass it plz if you have it you could give to me cuz i really want to finish the game if not well i have to pass the all the way again without cleo mods cuz i think the mods corrupt my savegame again thanks 4 your help and for the mod

Big_Mitch_Baker
  • Big_Mitch_Baker

• Angels of Death MC

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:26 PM

THERE MAY BE A BREAKTROUGH!

A kind player has informed me that his Crashing problems were solved by Removing/Replacing the SFX - General file. I suggest replacing the one found in the mod with the Original San Andreas SFX files, and see if that helps. If it does, PLEASE let me know and I'll re-upload the mod without the SFX.

@Bigpapi-89: Wow, 33 tries that makes me a sad panda sad.gif
I'm glad you're still interested in finishing, I WILL upload a savegame especially for you right after that point in the game (I'll msg you when It's uploaded), however I suggest you try the fix (above) in the mean-time. If you don't have your original SFX files backed up, you can either get them from your CD or backup GTA files can be found online. Hope it helps, and thank you for your incredible patience smile.gif

bigpapi_89
  • bigpapi_89

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:56 AM

ok i will do it... and you don't have to thank me on the contrary i am very greatful with you for the mod and the kind attention you give it to me

Big_Mitch_Baker
  • Big_Mitch_Baker

• Angels of Death MC

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

NEW possible fix! Hope this one works for everyone this time smile.gif

QUOTE (MinnieMan121249 @ Saturday, Mar 17 2012, 08:09)
Yes! It needs a fresh install (can't be assed to start figuring out what mod or file makes it crash) to work.

So install a fresh version and DO NOT include the GENRL file in SFX.

So make sure your SA is fresh with no cleo or anything like that.

Also I will be releasing a .zip file soon containing savegames after each mission, so if you ever get stuck (or reinstall and don't feel like playing all the way through again) you can use them to load from any mission. I'll keep you all posted on it icon14.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users