5 replies to this topic
totter
  • totter

Custom member title

• Members

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:51 AM

Hello!
I'm running GTA4 EFLC on my Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 and nVidia GeForce 9600GT

Fresh install of GTA4, everything runs fine. Copy everything from the ENBSeries zip (a version which according to the site is compatible with patch 1.0.7.0) onto the main EFLC directory and run the game. The ENBSeries logo shows up, the start screen shows up and the game loads. I can walk around in my safehouse with the changed lighting and look around for as long as I wish. I can push the door open slowly and peek outside at the ENB enabled bloom and gorgeous new look. But as soon as I try to go more than a step from the door to my safehouse, GTA4 crashes.

I find this very odd since ENBSeries definately seems to run as I can see it in effect from the door. I just can't exit the safehouse. I've isolated the bug to installing ENBSeries since I've done this three times on three fresh installs.
I thought my kinda-getting-old-GFX-card was simply getting overloaded, so I lowered the settings and resolution as low as it'd go. I'd get 75+ fps in the apartment, and still have such a framerate looking outside the door. The game still crashed with the high FPS, so I'm not suspecting system load to be the issue.

Some posts I found while searching the forums recommended deleting enbseries.ini and forcing the game to run in windowed mode. This made no difference to the crashing.

Since I can clearly see ENBSeries work it's magic, even at high FPS, I really don't understand while the game crashes following nothing but an ENBSeries install.
I backed up all the files that ENBSeries replaces. I tried moving these original files back into place. This left the ENBSeries logo and credits still appearing on startup, but the game was working and ENBSeries didn't seem to be in effect. So I think one of the files ENBSeries replaces is incompatible with the version of EFLC I use (fresh from disc).

Any help/advice/suggestions/comments are much appreciated.
Thank you

MonkeyMan_420
  • MonkeyMan_420

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:16 AM Edited by MonkeyMan_420, 08 March 2012 - 01:22 AM.

all i know is when i use ENB and i walk outside my safehouse, framerate drops dramatically due to all the stuff outside that needs to be processed so obviously takes GPU longer to process than when inside, not to mention the gpu will use more of it's memory when outside and if it doesnt have enough then that could be your problem

u probably need to get a better GPU with more memory, how much memory is your GPU?

totter
  • totter

Custom member title

• Members

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:21 PM

Since I can "preview" the outside scenery but not walk out into it I suspected that too. My GFX card has 512 mb of memory so it might well be that. But now the crashing has stopped. The effects simply switch off. I still get the nice reflections on cars, and whenever I'm indoors the bloom and color correction effects switch back on. Some spots outside near inside areas trigger effects aswell.

My framerate is fine, so I still have a hard time believing load to be an issue. I can look around outside for as long as I want to with all the effects on and the framerate is still good (as in 25 fps "good" tho). I even switched the textures to high to test it. (is putting -texturequality 2 in commandline.txt forcing high or very high textures?)

The behaviour is just strange. And why did the crashing stop without me doing anything? I did shut the computer off, so it might be the reboot.

Again, any suggestions are much appreciated. But I'm glad it's semi-working now.

MonkeyMan_420
  • MonkeyMan_420

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:54 AM

the recommended system requirements say to use gpu with 512mb memory but that is for vanilla, i think the gpu is giving u issues due to limited memory, i have 2 GB and i crash all the time

plus i think if u have modded texture files that are HD, those will add to the gpu processing and memory requirement

totter
  • totter

Custom member title

• Members

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:11 AM

What I'm used to as for modding is just thqt it either runs or does not run. I understqnd that ENB works a lot like an overlay, and since it runs fine, regardless of what it is displying, and for how long, by standing in certain spots near indoor areas, i think it's a settings switching off the shader when the player leaves the indoor area. I don't think it's related to my video card memory as performance - while definately taking a hit - is still perfectly playable even when for example driving through the tunnel or battling the cops in the metro, where the shader switches on. I even installed a HD texture pack and it still runs well. I have lowered the resolution to compensate. By lowering my other settings aswell i have the memory usage at under 500 mb. (Probably isn't still like that with the tex pack, but it still runs fine.)

Thanks again

Prof_Farnsworth
  • Prof_Farnsworth

Ambient Modder

• Members

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:59 AM

You had mentioned using version 1.0.7.0. It states in the ENB documentation that not all effects will be available using this version. The best version to use ENB with is 1.0.4.0 if you want all of the effects.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users