Photo

"Today I saw a car for sale..." Thread

175 replies to this topic
Michaś
  • Michaś

No US for me in 2014... BLNT

• Members

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE (Sup3rman @ Saturday, Jun 23 2012, 12:52)
1999? Can it be, i tought they started making the new model in 98...
But it does look like brand new... Would be proud to own one. Only fault is, that the steering wheel is on the wrong side. biggrin.gif

E: Correction, stopped making the W140 in 98 and started making the W220 in 99?

Probably made in September 1998 and registered in January 1999.

Triple Penetration
  • Triple Penetration

Box ♡ Out

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:52 PM

Gosh, did I just jizz my pants?

http://www.autotrade...o45yz?logcode=p

A mint condition 540i E34. I thought I'd never see one for sale, but oh wow. Too bad I don't have enough money to spend on awesome things. The mileage isn't that special, as I saw a 2.5 turbo diesel with 45k miles on it, but still, it shows the car's not run down crazily.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:26 PM Edited by Lurch, 30 July 2012 - 04:13 AM.

Meh, it's an auto which are fairly common. There's a 6 speed e34 540i M-Sport running around town that was for sale a while back. I'd almost want one as much as M5. They're also the only 6 speed e34's sold in the states as all of our M5's were B36's with the same g280 as the E28 M5. Too bad a nice one is nearly M5 money.

Mr.Funny12
  • Mr.Funny12

Just keep swimming...

• Members

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:53 PM Edited by Mr.Funny12, 29 July 2012 - 10:56 PM.

http://jerseyshore.c...3169083729.html I didn't know these cars went so cheap.

The thing is beat to hell though.

I was just surprised at the price.

Triple Penetration
  • Triple Penetration

Box ♡ Out

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:37 AM Edited by Triple Penetration, 30 July 2012 - 08:40 AM.

I know an E34 M5 being sold for 20,000 dollars or so, if not more. Can't make the currency conversions in my head anymore.

An auto 4.0 liter would be common in States, but not in the UK. That's why I'm interested. I really could buy a M5 (by that I mean, relatively, as I am a going for a similar value car), it's such a legend. But I'm not liking the stiff suspension and manual in it and there would be no point in those both - I am not going to use it for races.

More like, a perfect car for the thing Pat also does - cruising.

BTW, do you know how much was that M-Sport? Just to know how much is the difference, but the one I know has 38k miles done on it.

Mr.Funny12, would you care to tell us what kind of vehicle was that? I suppose it was beaten up and pretty cheap, but that isn't very informative.

Edit: Just checked, the M5 has been sold, no matter how much the price was. Now that is a proof E34 M5 are being craved after like crazy.

JayC
  • JayC

WWJCD

• Feroci Racing

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:39 AM

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item19d35ef8fe

There is a super cheap one for you TP in the best colour.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (Triple Penetration @ Monday, Jul 30 2012, 04:37)
I know an E34 M5 being sold for 20,000 dollars or so, if not more. Can't make the currency conversions in my head anymore.

An auto 4.0 liter would be common in States, but not in the UK. That's why I'm interested. I really could buy a M5 (by that I mean, relatively, as I am a going for a similar value car), it's such a legend. But I'm not liking the stiff suspension and manual in it and there would be no point in those both - I am not going to use it for races.

More like, a perfect car for the thing Pat also does - cruising.

BTW, do you know how much was that M-Sport? Just to know how much is the difference, but the one I know has 38k miles done on it.

Mr.Funny12, would you care to tell us what kind of vehicle was that? I suppose it was beaten up and pretty cheap, but that isn't very informative.

Edit: Just checked, the M5 has been sold, no matter how much the price was. Now that is a proof E34 M5 are being craved after like crazy.

http://forums.bimmer...d.php?t=1738559

There's the ad. $9500. I've seen M5's go locally for around $8-12k.

And any auto 5er is automatically gay. Pat's L7 gets a pass because it was a certain special model you couldn't get with a 5 speed (where you could on a normal 735i).

Michaś
  • Michaś

• Members

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

nevermind...

Triple Penetration
  • Triple Penetration

Box ♡ Out

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE (JayC @ Monday, Jul 30 2012, 11:39)
http://www.ebay.co.u...=item19d35ef8fe

There is a super cheap one for you TP in the best colour.

Holly shmucks, this is so good it makes me rage - I can't get it. The owner must be insane, the 166k miles isn't much at all for this car. It would be, say, for a 2.0..

And yes, the colour is the best one, if I'd get that one, I might not repaint it in Lime Green .

That's a good one, Lurch, with the original rims too.

If I ever get around the idea to do budget rallycross race with a makeshift car, I'd surely go for a manual, as it's necessary. But for any other life situation I don't see a point, unless you're into economy, but then why get a 4.0 at all?

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:00 PM Edited by Lurch, 30 July 2012 - 11:04 PM.

I'd say the pros of a manual outweigh an auto in pretty much every scenario but urban driving. Actual compression braking really lengthens the life of your brakes. Then there's the ability to roll the car off with a dead battery, not to mention having something that's actually involving to drive. A lot harder to fall asleep when you actually have to drive instead of simply holding a steering wheel.

Autos are f*cking boring and I hate having to give a car constant brake input while I'm driving. City traffic is their one upside. A manual trans is more of a selling point to me than about anything else about a car.

Torque converters eat a lot of power. Having to change filter and fluid ever 15k in an auto sucks as well.

And I've never heard anything good about BMW autos. Their manuals are a lot tougher. Changing a clutch is cheaper than a whole auto trans.

Mr.Funny12
  • Mr.Funny12

Just keep swimming...

• Members

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:15 AM

http://longisland.cr...3170692142.html

I have the money to buy a first car. I can afford this. Opinions?

Pat
  • Pat

• The Connection

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:18 AM

Jump on that sh*t. At that price, in that condition, it won't last long.

Mr.Funny12
  • Mr.Funny12

Just keep swimming...

• Members

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:21 AM

It scares me cause thats a few hours trip. It's so worth it but thats gonna be a long ass drive.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:25 AM Edited by Lurch, 01 August 2012 - 05:31 AM.

Trunk says ES. I've never been a fan of the eta's. Tell him to send you interior pics. Seeing a 4500 rpm redline tach will verify that it's just an E. And E's are horrendously slow. 122 hp with 2.73 or 2.93 (depending on the year) rear ends. It's stupid.

Hell, it's probably still worth 1200, but it's not the steal it would be if it was an IS.

Though if you were doing a turbo build, the B28 in the E's with an B25 head from an I, and some sort of standalone would make for a pretty wicked low comp motor.

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:50 PM

I could be wrong but it looks like there's lots of rust at the base of the door frame. confused.gif

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:06 PM Edited by Lurch, 01 August 2012 - 10:14 PM.

QUOTE (epoxi @ Wednesday, Aug 1 2012, 14:50)
I could be wrong but it looks like there's lots of rust at the base of the door frame. confused.gif

Which is why I'm afraid of northern cars.

As for long trip, pat made an 8 hour round trip to get the E23. If the car's worth it, it's worth the drive.

Worship
  • Worship

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:05 PM Edited by Togrul, 02 August 2012 - 03:10 PM.

Few mins ago.
Playmouth Prowler 1999
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

....Millage: 32579
Price:30.000$
Source

Triple Penetration
  • Triple Penetration

Box ♡ Out

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE (Lurch @ Monday, Jul 30 2012, 23:00)
I'd say the pros of a manual outweigh an auto in pretty much every scenario but urban driving. Actual compression braking really lengthens the life of your brakes. Then there's the ability to roll the car off with a dead battery, not to mention having something that's actually involving to drive. A lot harder to fall asleep when you actually have to drive instead of simply holding a steering wheel.

Autos are f*cking boring and I hate having to give a car constant brake input while I'm driving. City traffic is their one upside. A manual trans is more of a selling point to me than about anything else about a car.

Torque converters eat a lot of power. Having to change filter and fluid ever 15k in an auto sucks as well.

And I've never heard anything good about BMW autos. Their manuals are a lot tougher. Changing a clutch is cheaper than a whole auto trans.

All of this is totally true, I've considered all of those notes when thinking about choosing between auto or manual - but then you answered it yourself.

I live in Birmingham, which is a pretty dense city - and in future I plan to move to London, so a manual would be a nightmare for me.

And if I really was determined to get a car purely for performance, I'd get a semi-auto or one of those E60 M5/E46 M3s with them manuals, as they are much more comfortable.

I'll never understand anyone saying you'll get more involved into driving with a manual. I have heard this lots of times, but still don't see the point.

For example - I'm driving in a long trip to visit my friends in Scotland, which takes 4 hours one way and would take longer if I lived more down to south. I donít spend an uninterrupted four hours on anything else in my life. Even four hours in the pub is a bit much.

You're telling me to shift gears for 4 hours just so I can enjoy driving? Isn't that like, telling somebody to wear condoms because then he would enjoy sex more?

I'd rather enjoy the view (both in city and countryside/motorway) than purely drive. Maybe I'm too accustomed being a passenger in a train or bus..

Just recently I had to help a friend to roll his car off when his battery died - that didn't help, so we decided to tug it, which also didn't help. Getting a new battery turned out be the only solution, so your argument about manuals and dead batteries is only relative - some may work, some not.

One last note to this almost off-topic - I can't fall asleep unless I force myself to or get my sleeping pills. I don't sleep as often as my peers and falling asleep behind the steering wheel has been a childhood trauma for me when my dad did so.

Ontopic - The Prowler seems nice, but with that mileage and price ratio you could get much better cars. But as this car has become almost rare and exclusive I see the point. Too bad you still look like a douchebag when inside it.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE (Triple Penetration @ Sunday, Aug 5 2012, 13:46)
Just recently I had to help a friend to roll his car off when his battery died - that didn't help, so we decided to tug it, which also didn't help. Getting a new battery turned out be the only solution, so your argument about manuals and dead batteries is only relative - some may work, some not.

I think that has more to do with the people doing it not being complete f*cking idiots. I have a feeling you can't really drive, much less know how to pop a clutch and get a vehicle rolled off.

And as for 4 hour trips, what the f*cks the difference in an auto or manual? On the freeway, you're going to spend 90+% of the time in top gear anyway. The only times you won't is when passing someone or hitting a really steep grade.

As for seeing the scenery. Just stay in the passenger seat. Leave the driving to the big boys. I don't want to be in front of someone who's too busy watching the landmarks around him than paying attention to what's going on where he's driving.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE (Lurch @ Sunday, Aug 5 2012, 19:03)
As for seeing the scenery. Just stay in the passenger seat. Leave the driving to the big boys. I don't want to be in front of someone who's too busy watching the landmarks around him than paying attention to what's going on where he's driving.

This icon14.gif

But what do I know, all my cars are autos.

Triple Penetration
  • Triple Penetration

Box ♡ Out

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE (Lurch @ Sunday, Aug 5 2012, 19:03)
I think that has more to do with the people doing it not being complete f*cking idiots. I have a feeling you can't really drive, much less know how to pop a clutch and get a vehicle rolled off.

And as for 4 hour trips, what the f*cks the difference in an auto or manual? On the freeway, you're going to spend 90+% of the time in top gear anyway. The only times you won't is when passing someone or hitting a really steep grade.

Just to confirm - Yes, my driving experience is not quite what you would class as a professional, but I have apprenticeship studies in a college car repair technician.

And knowing England, even motorways aren't straight and you would have to pass most of those cars accompanying you on the same road. And if you think that I should be concentrated on the road all the time, there's nothing to enjoy then. Maybe truckers think differently - nothing on them too, I wanted to be a trucker when I was a child.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies

• United-Kingdom

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:36 PM

I have to side with Lurch here. I do a fair mileage and have done for a number of years, and I have not bored of driving. I have had almost exclusively manual cars, though I'd have odd forays into automatics as hire cars and have driven a number of otherwise-endowed cars of all kinds.

There are some cars which are suited to automatic gearboxes, but these are generally not cars that you would consider "fun" or "engaging" to drive. Having drive a C63 saloon not so long ago, my biggest criticism apart from the fact the interior felt like it had been put together by a child was the fact that a sport saloon should not have an automatic gearbox. For pure driving pleasure, give me a manual any day of the week. I can see the appeal in proper sequential gearboxes (though a true sequential box may either have or lack a clutch, depending on design- racing sequentials in some disciplines have clutches, such as rally, and like motorbikes with slipper clutches enable clutchless upshifts only at WOT, with no provision for clutchless downshifts) for pure track work- they're faster, after all- and I've had my fair share of fun with double-clutch gearboxes, but for proper fun nothing beats a traditional manual.

I would hazard a guess that your lack of passion for manual gearboxes is derived from the fact you've never driven a car with a particularly good one. It's true, most small hatchbacks, and many family and even executive saloons have horrible, notchy, lifeless, rubbery gearchanges which are absolutely no fun to use. Drive something like a 996 GT3 or Exige S1, both of which have utterly sublime gearboxes which reward neat and rapid changes, or a Ferrari 355 or 360 just for the satisfying clack-clack of the aluminium gate on every up or downshift, and I guarantee that your opinion will change. Hell, at the lower end of the scale, drive a Renaultsport Clio 172/182 or a Peugeot 106 Rallye.

Triple Penetration
  • Triple Penetration

Box ♡ Out

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:57 PM

Yes, this is a fair and also a good response to my thoughts. The thing is, I have no real passion for car motorsports (except going fast, for example, on a frozen lake, the speed kicks adrenaline into me) as it is too expensive in most cases. Those of cheaper sorts make me interested, to see what is possible of least amount of spent money - that would apply to my studies and future job perfectly, it would be very good to get parts cheaper than other businesses.

The cars you mentioned don't fit in my standards of what I want to drive daily - none of the Porsches or Renaults fascinate me. The only thing that would make sense to you as a car with a great manual tranny to you would be 2001 Subaru Impreza WRX STi which my father once had hired. It was the only manual I've driven apart from a MK1 Ford Mondeo. Both were showing me that manuals are just waste of time and require too much input for simple afternoon drive to a shop.

It's not because of shoddy manuals, it's because my father (I know Lurch will love to stick this to me) has been driving well over 20 years and only 3 years ago got his first automatic - he doesn't want to switch back anymore.

I wonder how I got into this discussion as I just mentioned, I'm not an avid driving enthusiast but more of a person who has driving a part of his life, but wants it rather to be in background. But all the debate has been pretty interesting and I'm sure I'll carry on.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:47 AM

QUOTE (Triple Penetration @ Monday, Aug 6 2012, 22:57)
Those of cheaper sorts make me interested, to see what is possible of least amount of spent money - that would apply to my studies and future job perfectly, it would be very good to get parts cheaper than other businesses.

The only thing that would make sense to you as a car with a great manual tranny to you would be 2001 Subaru Impreza WRX STi which my father once had hired. It was the only manual I've driven apart from a MK1 Ford Mondeo. Both were showing me that manuals are just waste of time and require too much input for simple afternoon drive to a shop.

There are some amazing low-budget motorsport disciplines. Amateur-level rallycross, the sub-2L classes of the National Saloon Car Championships, Practical BMW Cup, and hillclimb to name but a few. Aside from proper racing sequential boxes, a manual will always have an advantage on a circuit if all else is equal. Autos are still used for drag racing, though they bear little resemblance to the kinds of auto box you see in your average car.

I'd argue that despite illusions, the Impreza in any format aside from P1 or 22B (and possibly current Cosworth) is no driver's car. Woolly and vague steering, rubbery gearchange, turbocharged engine so generally sluggish in low-RPM uptake and always with a slight disconnect between throttle and acceleration caused by the time taken to attain boost threshold. Plus all-terrain biased all wheel drive is not a good indicator of a driver's car. That isn't to say that as an everyday performance hack an Impreza isn't a good choice, but given the price of a good spec hawkeye these days I'd rather get something rear-drive and driver-orientated like an M3 (which has a fantastic gearbox). I'm not sure about what you mean "too much input"- if that's your attitude, then I would argue that you have little interest in the act of driving to speak of. That may sound like an odd leap, but to me changing gear is just as intrinsic a part of driving a car as operating the steering wheel.

GeorgieNJ
  • GeorgieNJ

Snitch

• Members

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:50 AM

Saw this thing for sale today, price is 140 000 Eu

user posted image

user posted image

http://auto.plius.lt...as-2439953.html

Anyone know what it is?

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:12 AM

It's a Morgan Aero 8. http://en.wikipedia....i/Morgan_Aero_8

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE (epoxi @ Sunday, Aug 26 2012, 02:12)
It's a Morgan Aero 8. http://en.wikipedia....i/Morgan_Aero_8

To be more precise, it's a Morgan Aero Supersports- a targa-top version of the Aeromax.

Michaś
  • Michaś

• Members

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:05 AM

2001 E46 M-Sport 320Ci for VERY decent money.

http://cars.donedeal...le/cars/3774532

user posted image

chris
  • chris

Everton FC

• The Connection

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:28 AM

God i love those Morgans, in a town near to me called Southport they have a Morgan Dealership, my ex-gf used to live down the road so i often saw the lot changing, i just love the shape!

Mr.Funny12
  • Mr.Funny12

Just keep swimming...

• Members

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:52 PM

Going to look at a 99 z28 Camaro today. LS1 6 speed in it. Guy says it runs alittle rough and needs a tune up. Hopefully it's worth it, it's a whole 5 minutes away from my house.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users