Photo

C:\ Drive Is Corrupt

4 replies to this topic
Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:57 AM Edited by Indi, 04 March 2012 - 01:00 AM.

I recently decided to try out Windows 8 consumer preview that MS recently released, and I was creating a second partition to load the OS onto, and when I did that I did not use the Windows version to shrink a volume, but I used Partition Wizard, now Windows 8 works great, but now when I launch onto the default drive, which is the C drive. It comes up aith the drive has been corrupted. The C drive has Windows 7 installed.

Anyone know how I can fix this?

The reason I also used Partition Wizard was because the windows version to shrink was not allowing me to shrink it down to the size I wanted. I also defragged my HDD before attempting what I've done but it did no use because it was only allowing 9GB max, when I wanted something like 50.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:32 AM

Would have to be familiar with that tool, I'd assume. If you followed my KSOD Vista reporting, you can re-install with Vista over a corrupted HDD, as long as the structure is still there, and not have to worry about the COA, it will just require re-validation online, and I have to run the same Acer drivers I did initially, in other cases, I just redirected to where they were left stored originally. It's just NOT advisable to try a test bed on your working HDD system, use a blank drive or practice partitions on something that can have acceptable data loss. If you have to restore in my method, I found it re-addresses Windows appended as ".old" IIRC
So under that Windows install, there could be files already uses in a reformat, but there's the question of partitions, where you could try a reinstall just to Partition C. I'll be honest, not a fan of partitions, I just wound up having them in the cases where I got,and started using a used system already formatted into partitions.

The Sony K laptop was one such computer, it had the three partitions with little logic behind them, I tried deleting data and the system started giving me errors, so it was flushed of valuable files and reformatted fresh

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:39 AM

Looks like there is a bug in Windows 8 that will corrupted Windows 7 boot loader when your run Win7 and Win8 in dual boot.
Another person had the same problem as you and he had to reinstall the entire OS.
Maybe do a repair or run bootcfg in repair console to see if you save it.

YankeesPwnMets
  • YankeesPwnMets

More Betterer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:11 AM

Huh. I did it on my machine and I have no problems whatsoever. I think that using that third party partition manager somehow screwed something up. Get a Windows 7 disc, start it up, click on "Repair My Computer", choose your 7 installation and click on Startup Repair

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:14 AM

Chose your C partition from Recovery Console, if it doesn't work, it won't make things any worse, I believe

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users