Photo

Windows 8

101 replies to this topic
warnerbob18
  • warnerbob18

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:04 AM

Window 8 has most of the features revised. Most of the features are taken from Window 7.
Although Window 8 has good graphics but it takes too much space on the HDD.
There was discussions about "kill switch" but this feature is not seen anywhere in the Windows.

Panty Dropper
  • Panty Dropper

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:08 AM

I was a dumb a** and downloaded it and not I regret it. I never knew downloading the customer preview removes windows 7 completely from your PC...
Guess im stuck with this crap on my computer now lol.

ska
  • ska

Hemiplegia

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:29 PM

You could have dual booted it, but it sounds like you didn't do your research before you decided to install.

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE (Panty Dropper @ Tuesday, Mar 27 2012, 09:08)
I was a dumb a** and downloaded it and not I regret it. I never knew downloading the customer preview removes windows 7 completely from your PC...
Guess im stuck with this crap on my computer now lol.

The tone of your post says you feel bummed out Win8 has remove your Win7 and yet you don't regret it?!
LOL, this makes no sense. lol.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:46 PM Edited by Slamman, 02 April 2012 - 01:20 PM.

The Upper Right corner of the Metro should allow you your turn off options, but I did download a software tool to revert the START menu to it's normal XP/Vista style.
I saw another article for adding titles to the task bar icons, it's also something users might prefer. As MS is evaluating Win8, it's nearly a laugh that people are looking to add older styling to the new OS, or that others are looking at add on software to make an old OS look like Win8, since you can test drive the actual OS anyway!? What's the point there?

There was a magazine Q and A about over-writing the OS installs, I am not sure that there is a reversal method, but at the moment, I think you can try it, use your original Windows 7 disc and get into the Restore menu options to revert it back, Normally in the old OS format, you did this in the Control Panel Remove Program options.

Here's a timely article just up at Techspot, MS is hoping we'll ditch some prior habits of Windows' age old system format for the Metro generational taskbar, here's more

http://www.techspot....-windows-8.html

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:25 AM

-> BUMP --->

I got email from Microsoft, just this week, nothing earth shattering but this thread should remain current since Windows 8 is still available till next year to test drive and build some apps for;

http://social.techne...ategory/w8itpro

http://technet.micro...e/hh779628.aspx

Links to the latest MS is promoting, so you don't get lost just going to MS dot Com
^

vertical limit
  • vertical limit

When in doubt don't pull out.

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:42 PM

I really hate how the color white appears yellow.

SmC12
  • SmC12

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE (vertical limit @ Sunday, Apr 29 2012, 15:42)
I really hate how the color white appears yellow.

Check you colour settings. When I installed Windows 7 on my PC it changed my monitors colour balance to "Warm", so everything had an orange tint.

vertical limit
  • vertical limit

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

f*ck this sh*t, I am going to finish some work, then I am going to complete my back up, cause I started making back up a while ago then finally download and install Win & Ultimate 64 bit.

SMC12, tried color calibration but no result.

ikt
  • ikt

*poof*

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

It doesn't work at all for me.

How do you guys use Windows and its function to use everything in windows? The Metro totally doesn't work when I want to multitask and I seriously doubt power-applications like compilers and browsers work in the Metro environment. Plus, I want to access all of my screen without accidentally accessing programs. In fact, Windows 7 like I have configured it currently works best for me.

vertical limit
  • vertical limit

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:47 PM

Ikt, I feel you bro. That is why I installed Win 7 ultimate and it feels f*cking fantastic.

SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

Yep. I have moved back to Windows 7 full time personally. I'll probably still buy 8 on day 1 but if things don't change with it all it will be for me is a novelty.

ikt
  • ikt

*poof*

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:36 AM

I don't see this happening with Windows 8s Metro thing. and lack of Start menu.

user posted image

YankeesPwnMets
  • YankeesPwnMets

More Betterer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:41 AM

QUOTE (SyphonPayne @ Sunday, Apr 29 2012, 17:00)
Yep. I have moved back to Windows 7 full time personally. I'll probably still buy 8 on day 1 but if things don't change with it all it will be for me is a novelty.

I'll be buying it, but if I don't like it, then it'll just go into the collection of OSes I've gotten over the years... Still got copies of Windows 2000 and OSX Cheetah there

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:15 AM

QUOTE (ska @ Tuesday, Mar 27 2012, 23:59)
You could have dual booted it, but it sounds like you didn't do your research before you decided to install.

Read my post on the first page.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:16 AM

Ladies, Gents, Kids of all ages;

PC WORLD has a cover story this month on Win8, the likes and dislikes, and their test drive. Since I'm on the Developer Preview, the only ISO that worked for me, they say the Consumer version update that they're looking at is much improved, but METRO APPS are still horrible, and could mean sink or swim for the major part of the OS, other then that, under the hood it works much more efficiently, at least marginal improvements in running, booting, and INTERNET

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:27 AM

Just announced by Microsoft.

I think it looks amazing, I just hope the keyboard isn't sh*t.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:45 AM

QUOTE (Outcast @ Tuesday, Jun 19 2012, 19:27)

Just announced by Microsoft.

I think it looks amazing, I just hope the keyboard isn't sh*t.

Talk about innovative advertising.
Personally it doesn't really look any more interesting than an Ipad with the keyboard attachment.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:40 PM Edited by Slamman, 03 July 2012 - 04:25 AM.

I commented on Touch about a day after it announced, not here though. This tablet from MS is under some things of note, TWO versions, ARM and Intel powered, Intel at a premium.
Gaming is still a big question regarding what it can do, but the Win8 OS powering on it offers enough to keep attention on it's progress
I ran Windows 8 on my Inspiron 4100 Dell, it could not move faster then a snails pace so it had to go in favor of XP, now, despite what you say about old hardware and a new OS, this is supposed to run on a portable device, and it failed to operate on a 1Ghz Pentium 3, less then 512MB system Ram, but XP runs great on it, I can't even notice the slower 4200rpm HDD moving too slow with the Dell

I will say, an OS cross platform for portables and PC or laptop is not a bad thing, but I think taking XP off the market is just not wise yet

NikoGTA4
  • NikoGTA4

Ringolo

• Members

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:55 PM

Back then I installed the Consumer Preview of Windows 8. Damn, I could stand it. I used it for 5 minutes before deciding to reinstall Windows 7. For a desktop PC, it's completely useless. Stick with Windows 7.
We are too used with the Start/Programs method. It's been here since 1995. Anyway, it could be like the change they did when they introduced the Start button after the Programs Manager... Maybe we'll get used to it.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:13 AM Edited by Slamman, 03 July 2012 - 04:17 AM.

There's an app that starts with V, (found the helpful link below) did I mention it here? If not, it's intended to give a Win 7 Vista style START menu bar to older Windows, and it really works, even with the latest Windows 8, the only issue you're left to deal with is getting programs to show up in the familiar Lower LEFT pop up section, you get the basics though and it feels like it should be...

http://www.howtogeek...k-in-windows-8/

NikoGTA4
  • NikoGTA4

Ringolo

• Members

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:22 AM

Yeah, I'm taking a look right now. seems a bit complicated for the "everyday user" that would buy Windows 8 without knowing how it is different. I'd prefer if they put a real option in Windows 8 where you could keep the Start button. With Windows 95 like example, they kept the option for the Programs Manager for those who were used to Windows 3.1 and before that.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:30 AM

I've installed it, after a prior application, third party, intended to do the same thing, was eliminated from service in the move to Consumer Preview from Developer Preview so the key here is if MS misses it, opts to ignore these mods, or there remains a way to modify the Win OS to user spec, it may seem hard for an average user, but that's why all parents kids IT a bit on the side! We've moved past the days of flashing VCR clocks that no one can set! hahaha

Should also again relay that Win8 is free till the end of the year, if you buy a new PC with Win7, you can then upgrade to Win8 for about $16 bucks or something, REALLY cheap, but again, Windows 7 is near perfect for modern platforms since it finally supports major RAM upgrades into 64bit. The need for Windows 8 is more to service mobile devices, and allow software to work on PC and laptops or Ultrabooks as well

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:35 PM

Windows 8 upgrade will be $40. Plus unlike Vista and 7 you can upgrade from XP as well. And this if for Win8 Pro and only as a download. This is only during a pre-order promo and only if you qualify.
http://windowsteambl...-for-39-99.aspx
The say if you want the DVD it'll be $70

As much as I don't like what I see with 8 so far I might do this just to have it in case I'm forced to upgrade later.

SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:54 AM

Apparently Win 8 Pro is the same as the Ultimate editions of 7/Vista, so for $39.99, I will probably be upgrading every computer I own.

unc13bud
  • unc13bud

Weekend Answerer

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:14 AM

windows 8 is fine if it is free, but i wouldn't pay for it. gta iv wouldn't play at all with windows 8 + GT 640. i am so glad that i just bought windows 7 family pack for $95 from amazon.

Iminicus
  • Iminicus

Something witty, something sh*tty

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Pitcairn-Islands

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:46 AM

QUOTE (unc13bud @ Friday, Jul 13 2012, 19:14)
windows 8 is fine if it is free, but i wouldn't pay for it. gta iv wouldn't play at all with windows 8 + GT 640. i am so glad that i just bought windows 7 family pack for $95 from amazon.

How the hell can it be free? Not even Apple releases free updates. And Linux? Some distros are not free and require $$$. Also, this isn't some SP or minor update. It is a complete OS overhaul.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE (Wolf68k @ Thursday, Jul 5 2012, 04:05)
As much as I don't like what I see with 8 so far I might do this just to have it in case I'm forced to upgrade later.

I hope there are security precautions in place so that if an idiot accidentally stuffs the installation they can rollback to there old OS.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:52 PM

8 isn't a service pack, it's an upgrade.
Show me 1 Win OS that you can use the upgrade on top of the OS the OS you're upgrading from that you can simply rollback to?
Win98 to XP? Nope, you had to flush the whole thing and reinstall 98. XP to Vista? Nope, same thing. Vista to 7? Strike 3.

SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:22 AM Edited by SyphonPayne, 18 July 2012 - 06:31 AM.

The good news is that you can download the Release Preview and then upgrade that instead... Thus allowing you to keep your previous OS and dual boot.

EDIT: Just read up on it, you will need a valid XP/Vista/7 license to keep using it though... Hmm... Not sure what I'm going to do. I really don't think I want to ditch 7 for 8, seeing as 8 feels so clunky in comparison... Going to have to keep doing some research.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users