Photo

Windows 8

101 replies to this topic
Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:02 AM Edited by Outcast, 08 March 2012 - 10:04 PM.

user posted image

Anyone else install Windows 8?

It looks completely different from any other iteration of Windows, the most radical departure from the classic start button and taskbar seen so far.

As someone who uses Mac OS X begrudgingly due to no other OS being as pretty and slick but now with Windows 8, theres some choice.

MrMateczko
  • MrMateczko

Gangsta

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:31 AM

It sucks.
Don't bother. Unless you watn to install it in na ARM tablet, then it will be somewhat good.
But Microsoft, slow down!
It's not the time to push this Metro sh*t to desktops just now.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:07 AM

I plan to, even with the Metro Interface GUI, I've read you can revert to some traditional Windows formatting, I think Win Vista and Win 7 are not far removed enough for me to dislike either, and I debated on getting Vista, which is why I chose an Ultimate version, just to get everything for the Windows most maligned since Microsoft's Millennium Edition, which I still consider the best Win 9x platform! haha

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Vette pass by, errbody looking

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

Vista was pretty bad. Just get Windows 7 and I don't think Windows Millenium was all that great either. Anyway I don't like Windows 8 with all that metro nonsense and it's hard to find settings.

ska
  • ska

Hemiplegia

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:31 PM

My only problem with Windows 8 is that Microsoft seems to be thinking too far ahead of the curve in regards to the interface. I think it will be a great OS, especially for tablets, but using it day-to-day on a desktop just doesn't seem fitting to me.

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:49 PM

I've tried both developers preview which was released a few months back and their consumer preview that was released a few days ago.
Running on VM, there is only 1 word that can describe both version. Complete and utter sh*t !!!
In DP you can at least still function to the basics, but in CP it's so dumb down you can't do anything. First start is not start any more and has been integrated into
the metro ui menu place on the right. There is no way to close off a open app unless you head over to task manager.
Right now I'm stuck in IE and have no way of closing it. rolleyes.gif

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:04 PM

Keep in mind, this is just a consumer PREVIEW. its just meant to be a taste of whats to come and from looking at Windows 8 you can see the sort of direction they're going to be moving in and it is a good one in the current climate. They need something fresh and different to draw more people to windows. out of all my friends im the only one with a windows laptop (a thinkpad for when im on the road) but i've also got a macbook, a mac mini and a macbook pro for normal web browsing etc.

Windows is long overdue an overhaul of their GUI, to unite all msft devices this is it.

okei
  • okei

Dressed to kill like I'm Gianni Versace

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE (Outcast @ Friday, Mar 2 2012, 15:04)
Keep in mind, this is just a consumer PREVIEW. its just meant to be a taste of whats to come and from looking at Windows 8 you can see the sort of direction they're going to be moving in and it is a good one in the current climate. They need something fresh and different to draw more people to windows. out of all my friends im the only one with a windows laptop (a thinkpad for when im on the road) but i've also got a macbook, a mac mini and a macbook pro for normal web browsing etc.

Windows is long overdue an overhaul of their GUI, to unite all msft devices this is it.

Why so many laptops? You're almost as bad as me with the amount of modern computers I've got lying around.

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:01 PM

The Win8 MS demo during this years CES keynote was totally different, it was a lot user friendly than what they released
to the public.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:38 PM

Win8 looks like it should be for phones and tablets and should stay there. All of the tech people that I've seen that are trying it, they like it but even then it looks like they are using it from the view point of a mom/dad/grandparent basically someone that doesn't to much more than surf the web and use office and stuff like that.
For someone like me, and many of you guys here, it looks like it'll take even longer to do the simplest things we do now. Syphon mentioned after trying the developers preview version that it does take 1-3 extra clicks to do the same thing you can do in Win7.
If there is an option to disable the metro interface and use it like 7 then great I'm all for that. I said the same thing when I saw the dev preview.

I admit I didn't like Win7 at first, partly because of the Aero, but I got past that. What I do love about Win7 is the Start->Search. In the past with 98 and XP because I would install so much and used the Start menu to start everything, because I like to keep the desktop completely clear of all icons, the Start->Programs menu was huge. To fix that I create sub folders that groups programs together; games, video, audio, graphics, utilities. With Win7 I don't need to do that, I can just type in the name (or part of) into the Search and BAM found it. So much easier on so many levels.
From what I've seen on 8: start off in Metro, click something to get the desktop, then I guess move over to the "charm" area on the left to click search, now I can search for whatever.

To make 8 even worse the Task Manager is completely different and from what little I've seen I don't see anything in the 8 TM like the 7 TM, in fact the only thing on the 8 TM is what you see in 7 TM for the Applications tab. No processes, services, performance and so on.

I am not looking forward to 8 at all. I also don't think businesses aren't looking forward to it either, never mind that many of them still having moved to 7 yet either.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

You make some good points Wolf, but the fact of the matter is Microsoft is moving with the times. I've seen mainly negative reactions to Win8 from people here and I have to agree with some of the arguments made, but everyone has to remember that our tech mentality is outdated. Software no longer comes exclusively on CDs for example, just look at the App Store in OSX.

I think what Microsoft is doing is right, they are manoeuvring themselves into a position where they can compete in the future against the likes of Chrome OS and OSX. What the consumer wants today is a sleek and simple OS which allows them to do what they want, when they want. Also the fact that many things are web-based means that new OSes dont have to have the functionality as before.

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Vette pass by, errbody looking

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:01 PM

I don't really like the new layout of 8 and would prefer Microsoft to have a seperate OS just for tablets and stuff. Previous versions of Windows don't look as cluttered and yes we've seen the same similar layout of previous Windows of the years with the desktop and the taskbar etc but if it ain't broke don't fix it. XP was great and is still widely used today in businesses and Windows 7 is starting to become more popular. Many of my computing teachers at college have all tried Windows 8 and they don't like the new layout. If there's a way to get the old style back so it doesn't look like the Xbox dashboard then I'll be happy. Ohwell I'll just stick to Windows 7 and will probably not bother with 8 and just see what the next one's like.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

QUOTE (illegal_luggage @ Saturday, Mar 3 2012, 02:01)
if it ain't broke don't fix it.

losing market share to Mac OS X certainly seems like something isnt right.

and yes, there is a way to switch between the traditional windows look and the metro gui, and its not some obscure button buried in the settings. its right there

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:52 PM Edited by Slamman, 02 March 2012 - 06:57 PM.

I can only speak about what I read, since I've yet to format a drive with Win8, but I don't mind it too much, I just think that Ubuntu would be the one to spark GUI ideas. Mac is not so much an issue using Intel processing and emulating Microsoft software. Not sure if they do Linux, since I'm a Windows guy
Even Windows 7 is geared to more Touchscreen and Touchpad tablet uses, but MS plans to meld a lot of platform software, that's part of the idea of transforming Games for Windows Live to a more universal Xbox Live that works on Windows, the thing I like about the idea is sharing your online XBL on a Windows PC. Perhaps using Xbox discs running on Win8 or something like that already suggested, though I am not banking on it, I'd like to see it possible in some way.

Vista was pretty bad. Just get Windows 7 and I don't think Windows Millenium was all that great either. Anyway I don't like Windows 8 with all that metro nonsense and it's hard to find settings.

How so? Vista has not been a problem for me, I have a special evaluation edition I got from Craigslist, My Win ME was installed on my original PC, eMachine eTower, and it's never BSOD more then once or twice, since I don't remember such problems. Mike/PCGuy looked into this as a MS IT guy, he's confirmed memory management was flawed and one major sticking point that caused Win9x BSOD and crashes.

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

Currently Windows 7 has a detection feature for tablets and touchscreens. When the OS doesn't detect any hardware support, these features are automatically disabled. For those running Windows 7, go to system properties and it will say whether your system supports writing and touch screen functionality.

Windows 8 should have this feature as well, that if a monitor doesn't support touch screen, the user will only get the standard Windows interface and MetroUI will only appear if the monitor supports touch screen.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

Like keyboard English or multilanguage support, I think you'd find the features on the right side task bar, minimized, I have capability set for using digital pens, Mics, various entry methods, but there is a Windows Tablet Edition OS I saw listed at a Goodwill auction (Gateway tablet someone donated)

Cursed
  • Cursed

Big Homie

• Zaibatsu

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

I'm still not sold on the whole Metro + Standard desktop design. Either go for one or the other. I do think the Metro interface is very nice looking with the full screen apps though, and I dare say navigation would work well with the multitouch trackpad on my Macbook.

The logo isn't exactly brilliant:

user posted image

GTA 360
  • GTA 360

LIVE WITH IT OR DIE FROM IT.

• Members

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE (Cursed @ Friday, Mar 2 2012, 21:04)
The logo isn't exactly brilliant:

user posted image

No, the logo's crap. Good luck with the software then.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:00 PM

I wonder if it was bought up then, like NBC Universal...major change, get rid of artistically inclined logo for REALLY boring, corporate type-set

It's pretty bland, but easier to replicate on mobile devices I imagine

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:11 AM Edited by nightwalker83, 03 March 2012 - 12:17 AM.

Yeah, I made the mistake of installing Windows 8 a while ago! It stuff up the boot sequence on my pc, I usually boot in to Window 7. I then had to do a total format and reinstall everything except Windows 8 all over again.

SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:27 AM Edited by SyphonPayne, 03 March 2012 - 05:44 AM.

I worked with the Developer Preview a lot and after the novelty wore off I found the interface clunky and counter-intuitive for any machine without a touch screen. I went back to 7 on those machines. Hopefully the Consumer Preview has fixed a lot of those issues, I'll see when I install it within the next few days.

I think it'll be a long while before I have a Windows PC with a touchscreen though. Considering the fact that my main computer has a 32-inch screen, I don't think it would make much sense to make it touch-capable. I also much prefer notebooks to tablets, more power, resolution, more precision with an external mouse, and if I want to touch something I'll play with my iPhone or GPS receiver. I think that real work machines (in the majority of situations) require a keyboard and a mouse. That is where Windows 8 is failing, so far. Granted, I have not installed the Consumer Preview just yet, but based on my experience with the Developer Preview, normal applications (as opposed to the Metro "apps") are harder to access, and the Metro UI just ended up feeling out-of-place and slowed me down as I had to type in programs, click several more times, instead of just going to the start menu, meanwhile watching flashy graphics while the Metro UI activates/deactivates.

Granted, just like Vista and 7, I'll probably get 8, might invest in some touchscreen/tablet on the side, if it's worthwhile, but for now it's all just novelty. I guess Microsoft's main goal for Win 8 is to replace iOS, Android and the likes. I think that Windows has a much greater capability to do more things than those operating systems, yet full-blown Windows (and not the mobile variants) will require some full-fledged hardware, more powerful than most of today's phones, but who knows, maybe 8 will influence the phone hardware market, and improve our phone experiences (even moreso than now.)

Yeah Wolf, I remember those XP days with the start menu. Absolutely terrible. I remember for one thing you had to change a setting in XP to make the programs scroll, as when the menu got full, it would go off of the screen. Even with scrolling, might as well go get you a cup of coffee if you need to access a program in the R-Z range. Vista/7's start menu search is great, couldn't/wouldn't go without it these days...

EDIT: Oh, the Windows 8 Task Manager is actually pretty nifty. It's almost as good as something like Sysinternals Process Explorer or Autoruns. Though, if you want the old-fashioned variety, I found that declining the UAC prompt when you open the task manager in the DP would give you the old one (of course, might not work with UAC disabled and/or on lower level than maximum.) The other way to get it was to disable Metro altogether via registry or renaming/deleting a dll. Though both of those methods disabled the new task manager and also caused other issues, watermarks, etc.

Which reminds me, this is off-topic, but those of you that want to disable the Windows 7 boot animation (for faster startup, especially if you're on an SSD,) simply rename/delete bootres.dll in the system32 folder. It will give you the old Vista-style (which is basically the same as XP except green) loading bar.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:25 AM Edited by Slamman, 03 March 2012 - 07:30 AM.

I have challenged anyone with a OEM of Windows ME to show a failure test for it, or even try a copy of mine and see how it works out for ya! With my first laptop, swapped a ME format on it (Dell Latitude LS) and all the drivers were there, it worked without a hitch
I'd like to see Win 8 handling games without need of SP1 or 2, as Vista did need.

Some reviewers are as hyped about Win8 as MS it seems, but as you mention, what is their goal in perhaps replacing Win7 with Win8!??

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:54 AM

I forgot to ask this before and I know it's a mild point and might even sound stupid but....
What about the desktop wallpaper? From what I've seen you'll only see when you go from metro to the desktop itself, but when you're in metro even if you would set a custom background you won't see it because it'll be covered by all of the buttons, or whatever they are called and I don't really care at this point. Pretty much can be said for the color schemes/themes.

@Slamman
Since 8 is based on 7, I don't see that being too much of a problem. You can even use the 7 drivers for your hardware within 8.

SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:37 AM

Well, in the DP, only the desktop wallpaper was changeable, as in Win 7/Vista/etc. ... So you'd only see it when you were on the Desktop and not on Metro. As for how it works in the CP, I have yet to see, I'll install it when I get a chance. I have an SSD dedicated to Windows 8, most likely that SSD will have it installed on day 1 of RTM. If Win8 fails too badly though, I'll just stick with 7.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:33 PM Edited by Slamman, 03 March 2012 - 07:35 PM.

I found I already have the earlier one downloaded on this HDD, the evaluation (Developer Preview IIRC) copy of Win8, so I suspect I'll have to download the latest version and compare the two!?

With Wolf's mention of Windows 7 drivers, I wonder if 8 would be more backward compatible, the same, or less?

Cursed
  • Cursed

Big Homie

• Zaibatsu

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Saturday, Mar 3 2012, 19:33)
With Wolf's mention of Windows 7 drivers, I wonder if 8 would be more backward compatible, the same, or less?

Well the standard VGA driver supports Aero which is good to see.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:26 PM

I think there should be a UI option to make 8 more like 7.
I understand the idea of bringing everything together, make tablets and phones more like computers, not the other way around.

Open a compatibility mode when you wanna play with your laptop, i doubt i will be upgrading unless major changes are made.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:33 PM

I dont understand why people keep saying there should be an option to make the GUI more like Win 7. the option is right there on the home screen of Win 8, its a massive tile!

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:22 AM

If you're talking about the one that says Desktop, that's not the point...at least not mine.
I personally would want to completely disable Metro. But for others they mostly want the 7 start menu back. The way 8 is now, when you click Desktop, yes you're taking to the desktop but when you click what use to be the Start menu you're taking back to the Metro tiles.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:49 AM

fair enough, my mistake colgate.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users