» «
Photo

The Performance Youve Always Wanted from GTA4

25 replies to this topic
hexelbit
  • hexelbit

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:31 PM Edited by hexelbit, 12 April 2012 - 07:40 AM.

Just put in the first person mod, v1.22 by C06alt, had to modify it a little to get it to perfectionay. The mod even has cruise control, CRUISE CONTROL PEOPLE. here i am for last 4 years not having CC when I coulda had CC.

now thats outta the way. lets talk about the "best graphical mod for gta 4 ever" VISUALiV

why is this mod not getting more attention than it is? no one is playing gta 4 anymore, dont think so.

I see new people asking about mods and what patches to use
I see people that have been using mods like enb and suffering with truly massive frame drops on an already sluggish game.
I see people asking about forms of anti-aliasing that can be used for gta 4

the reason it seems to me is that fun can still be had from a game as long as some attention is paid to it, and by that i mean turning it into a sandbox game, because hay you beat the game right? right...? heh I know I didnt, saving that for when im really bored biggrin.gif

heres what you do to revitalize your gta 4 experience, and ill be posting this in a different place in this forum as well not just here.

What you will need

1. Its imperative to have the latest driver for your graphics card, thats just my personal belief.
2. latest version of directx link here http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=8109
3. Things to make gta more booful;

- VISUALiV 1.7.8 pg 42 of this post at the bottom http://www.gtaforums...c=415952&st=820 (latest)
- new - 7 GB texture pack http://www.gta-downl...y-textures.html use the torrent its faster. its better than the Ulitmate textures pack V2 which is what i was using b4. Its on the net you can find it easy
- TreesmodIV 1.1 by Eryk03 (this will help with fps and will also give the trees a more natural green look, but only if you have VisualiV and set the in game colour settings appropriately as given by Robi29.
- InjectSMAA or InjectFXAA either one will do fine, the fxaa seems to take less power so if fps is your game then get that one. but if you are really concerned about FPS then use Robi29's special fps files as they offer an improvement (included in the folder under bonuses).
new - you can now use 301.24 nvidia drivers for fxaa, i do now its just easier and works better for sims 3 btw.

Installation order...

1. gta4 duh.
2. 1.0.7.0 patch
3. Ultimate texture pack - if you want to kill two winged creatures via one compressed hunk of matter then you can copy the treesmod files right into the texture pack props section (vegetation) copy over those files so next time you can just copy over the whole texture pack and have the tree mod in there already.
3b. Put the injectsmaa or injectfxaa files into the main gta folder, its that easy.
3c. man i totally forgot this, im a little tired. Install the Visualiv files now too, simply copy and paste stuff. Instructions are included.
4. simple trainer v6.4 friggin greatest trainer for a game if there ever was one. this thing is like god cheating in a game. it has that much power and features. this is basically what will turn your game into a semi sandbox. you will need a special file called an asi loader, it is used to access and modify the games memory registers, i think. It is what will allow you to use the trainer. Yaasil is the one i use. 'Yet another asi loader'
5. now that you have those things installed, you need to reboot ( you can never reboot too many times) it will clear the memory and allow for.... well just do it okay.
6. If you have an Nvidia card i recommend going into the display controls accessed by right click on desktop and going to the manage 3d settings, then program settings, then find the gta launcher exe selection and set prefer maximum gpu performance as apposed to adaptive and also set threaded optimization to on. click apply, close that, and run the game. Remember also that you have to install gamesforwindowslive program, the older version is preferred, if you want to be able to save your game. Now for tweaking the settings.

First make a txt file in the main gta folder called commandline.txt and enter in these two lines without the quotes
"-norestrictions" - if you want to be able to use the following settings without the game restricting them to the hardware in the computer or you want high textures
"-availablevidmem 1.5" - if you have 512 MB of video memory and dont want texture pop in, i know it's not the right numbers to correspond with 512 but trust me it works very well. Its 768MB, and by setting it to this, it only lets the textures spill into the system ram a little bit but really takes care of the pop in.
"-nomemrestrict" - if you have more than 1 GB of video memory and plenty of system ram

7. once in the game go to settings(options) and select graphics, if you have 512MB of video ram
textures - med - new - After reformatting my system and the recent upgrades I can now run in high quality texture mode with seemingly even more performance. Hey ya I dont knwo how thats possible but I think it has to do with Nvidias latest driver 301.24 which you should get if you can. Im friggin lovin it.
reflection resolution - high
water quality - medium (robi has made the water like way better than it ever was on high at the medium setting, he did something with the shader files.)
shadow quality - high (once again robi has also improved the shadows by a great deal.)
night shadows - off (they are totally unnecessary and take a bunch of cpu cycles and dont work properly even half the time)
texture filter quality - 16x anisotropic filtering
view distance - 50
detail distance - 50
vehicle density - 30 (seems to give an ok balance, Robi29's bonus files have an option for more peds if you find that 30 isnt enough.
definition - on (what this really means is that there wont be a blurry post process that is a very lame attempt at anti aliasing)
vsync - on (it really does make the frames smoother and without the shearing effect from turning around, and therefore its more realistic.)

so thats basically it, i just want to make sure that everyone is getting the best experience they can with this and i believe these are the optimal settings for mid to high end pcs of yesteryear. if you have a computer better than mine then i would suggest starting with these settings and adding high textures and so on especially if you have a gfx card with 1.5GB or more of ram. - new - like i said try out high textures with this setup, as long as you have a decent computer it should work , dont for get to use ccleaner and clean out your system of junk and use auslogics free registry cleaner too it really does help with system performance, and defrag fully not just quick defrag with defraggler also available from www.piriform.com but if you have an ssd then dont defrag. ok i go play my game now. bye freaks

Cant wait for the next one Robi, im on it like white on rice. rampage_ani.gif

here are my specs I upgraded! AMD Phenom II X4 960T @3.2 GA-970A-UD3 FW F5 8GB Mushkin DDR3 1333 180GB Mushkin Chronos FW 5.0.2 320 GB WD Caviar Blue 16mb cache EVGA Geforce 250 GTS 512MB @ 750 1833 2250 windows 7 64bit ultimate sp1 latest windows updates aswell

kor0ro.k3yz
  • kor0ro.k3yz

Bah! Bah! Black Sheep

• Members

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:35 PM

thanks fr the mods and view vehicle density, view and detail distance, made my game run smoother, but the commandline, texture, water, shadow quality made my system unstable lol

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:29 AM

Well, just to add to above, it's probably better to leave out the norestrict and memrestrict switches, just start at what your system can handle and go from there.

hexelbit
  • hexelbit

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:16 AM

i edited the switches in the post

kor0ro.k3yz
  • kor0ro.k3yz

Bah! Bah! Black Sheep

• Members

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:47 AM

we really should have a thread showing recommended mods confused.gif thanks for the TreesmodIV 1.1 really gain some fps, using fraps to compare performance ^_^

Lodis
  • Lodis

Thug

• Members

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:22 AM

If you want the game to have more chaos, don't forget this mod. I think this is how the game should have been in the first place.

Regor245
  • Regor245

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:07 AM

I recommend this Mod "Smoother Trees, Fences and Rails" especially for 1.0.4.0 users. No FPS decrease with this mod (My Opinion). It doesn't affect shadow.

Click here for "Smoother Trees, Fences and Rails Mod"

Click for Pic/Screenshot

Btw, (This Thread is great)

kor0ro.k3yz
  • kor0ro.k3yz

Bah! Bah! Black Sheep

• Members

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:56 PM Edited by kor0ro.k3yz, 11 March 2012 - 04:20 AM.

QUOTE (Regor245 @ Saturday, Mar 10 2012, 05:07)
I recommend this Mod "Smoother Trees, Fences and Rails" especially for 1.0.4.0 users. No FPS decrease with this mod (My Opinion). It doesn't affect shadow.

Click here for "Smoother Trees, Fences and Rails Mod"

Click for Pic/Screenshot

Btw, (This Thread is great)

thanks but im not 1.0.4.0 but i will try ^_^

Edit: already been fixed on patch 1.0.7.0

can anyone tell some modders who edits the cars on GTA IV? like cromchen does

hexelbit
  • hexelbit

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:50 AM

Hey thanks fir the smoother trees and fences mod link, ill give that a go for sure. BTW 1.7.8 final of VISUALiV is available. Damn boys just damn, I should make some screenshots, you just wouldnt believe how good i got this lookin over here. And getting a new power supply and ram tomorrow Corsair TX650 P/S (throwing out this POS rocketfish 630watt for a real one.) and some G skill Ripjaws 2 X 4GB for 50 bucks great deal on newegg guys. They are having some serious sales over there.

bye fir now

kor0ro.k3yz
  • kor0ro.k3yz

Bah! Bah! Black Sheep

• Members

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:36 AM

i thought the latest visualiv is 1.7.8b10? O.o

hexelbit
  • hexelbit

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:29 AM

bump new information added to allow you to have more visual bliss

hexelbit
  • hexelbit

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:40 AM

moto_whistle.gif

kor0ro.k3yz
  • kor0ro.k3yz

Bah! Bah! Black Sheep

• Members

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

better city texture o.O but will download after im done with some stuff smile.gif)

T-ru
  • T-ru

kamikadze

• Members

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

Very nice topic icon14.gif But I like and love the original graphic of the game I tried many, many, many ... mods for these 4 years, some mods are briliant, some not so good and my conclusion is that the R* are made very good assessment about graphics, performance and feelings for reality especially with the last paches of the games, when you dont use any mods you will have no bugs no popping textures (this is the thing that make me angry as hell angry.gif ) if you strictly find your -memrestrict command line number. Also about 4 years I made some little changes (this not change the graphic or something and no effect of popping graphics or bugs) in one file and tested the game on too many different machines and now the games runs very well.
If someone want this file, let me know.

kor0ro.k3yz
  • kor0ro.k3yz

Bah! Bah! Black Sheep

• Members

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:31 PM Edited by kor0ro.k3yz, 13 May 2012 - 12:24 AM.

can you send me the file? i would like to try it smile.gif

using R* original files i have no problems with graphics but i just dont like playing in a gray world bored.gif smile.gif)

R* default Graphics: all settings on High

VisualIV Graphics: on High random stuttering, on Medium no stuttering but still looks good lol.gif

kor0ro.k3yz
  • kor0ro.k3yz

Bah! Bah! Black Sheep

• Members

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

whoa using better city texture and I thought

Bigger size=out of video memory

but i was wrong haha the game runs better now and i notice it instantly

ceedj
  • ceedj

PEDS Creator

• Members

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

Just reinstalled IV on a Dual Pentium/2GB RAM/ATI 512 AGP (HAH!) system that recently had a Windows reinstall. While my average FPS are much better than before (about 35-40, likely because of the fresh OS and a switch to an SATA main drive), the mods you show in here - especially the 7GB one (4GB compressed) - make the game look incredible. Running 1280x720, high textures, basically the settings you posted above, looks and runs faboo, had a lot of fun just taking in the atmosphere. For example, before the OS was redone, I had always played with shadows off and used patch 3 (or 4). Tried patch 7 on a new install and the shadows look unreal, very smooth and not a big performance hit at all. Pop in as usual, but it's a GTA game, so I kind of expect it.

Anyway, thanks for posting this topic; I really don't get the chance to play much these days, so anything that helps make the experience better is great in my book. smile.gif

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

Which GPU do you have? That's rather insane performance.

ceedj
  • ceedj

PEDS Creator

• Members

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

Radeon HD 3850, 12.4 drivers. Did some more testing (playing), average is a bit closer to 30-32, peak is about 45ish, low is about 25. I could probably get that up a bit more if I ran GameBooster/shut some things off. I'm also using the VisualIV "extra FPS" mod, which changes some of the distance values. Still, on pretty lousy/old tech, this isn't bad.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:49 AM

No, it's not bad, it's a miracle. You should sell that PC on ebay as "GTAIV certified".

kor0ro.k3yz
  • kor0ro.k3yz

Bah! Bah! Black Sheep

• Members

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:09 AM

also people should read this

System Tweak Guide

and this

Gamers Graphic/Displau Guide

@hexelbit if this helps, you can add this to your thread

hexelbit
  • hexelbit

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:19 PM

i forgot to mention im getting 55 fps avg dont know the ceiling cause i always use vsync, and i have a 60hz flatscreen. and im using 301.34 latest beta with mod inf to support my geforce 250 gts 512MB i also set just these in commandline.txt also smaa is an excellent aa method but lets face it the now built in fxaa of forceware drivers for nvidia of course is just as good and slightly faster, so turn on definition in game settings and turn on fxaa in custom game profile in nvidia control panel for gtaIV if you dont turn on definition in game, it makes everything disgustingly blurry.

yea great job rockgag.

-availablevidmem 2.0
-norestrictions
-nomemrestrict

that gives the computer the impression that i have 1 GB of video ram or there abouts, because its not exact its more like 947 or something but regardless for some reason it takes away the majority of pop in, i only have very slight and thats only if i spin around 180 as fast as i can with the mouse in the middle of time square, ladies and gentlemen it truly is a miracle, and its all thanks to ROBI29 no but really use my configuration too and youll be good to go, also one thing that can really free up some performance is temp turning off your antivirus program's active file scan setting, this will allow the game to run closer to how it was intended, for various reasons.

also make sure you download the very latest version which is 1.7.8 final on page 42 not the one on page one which is 1.7.8b10

luceberg
  • luceberg

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:43 PM

kor0ro.k3yz , it is not a good idea to post your email address online, use a pm instead. For your own protection, you should edit it out. Sorry to be a nag wink.gif

kor0ro.k3yz
  • kor0ro.k3yz

Bah! Bah! Black Sheep

• Members

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:25 AM Edited by kor0ro.k3yz, 29 May 2012 - 10:53 AM.

QUOTE (luceberg @ Saturday, May 12 2012, 22:43)
kor0ro.k3yz , it is not a good idea to post your email address online, use a pm instead. For your own protection, you should edit it out. Sorry to be a nag  wink.gif

done and edited, thanks luceberg

Edit: nvidias latest driver made my gameplay even smoother, and theirs a option setting for FXAA biggrin.gif

ripple
  • ripple

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:38 AM

Hexelbit, thanks for the guide. I followed it and saw 8-10 FPS increase from what I was seeing in my -unmodded- game. This thread should be bumped.

kor0ro.k3yz
  • kor0ro.k3yz

Bah! Bah! Black Sheep

• Members

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:38 AM Edited by kor0ro.k3yz, 09 June 2013 - 02:07 PM.

just bumping. this may help other people if they find this thread.

rebump. i was looking for this thread biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users