Photo

Worst Oscar Wins

25 replies to this topic
Carbine23
  • Carbine23

Work Hard & Say It's Easy

• Members

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:15 AM

Didn't see it when i searched it up but recently i've been thinking and some of the Oscar wins over the last few decades were complete bullsh*t in my opinion.

My biggest pet peeve winner is Shakespeare in Love. How the hell did it beat Saving Private Ryan!? I've seen Shakespeare in Love and i thought it was decent at most but wasn't anything groundbreaking or worth seeing again. i've watched Saving Private Ryan so many times and it's easily one of the best war movies ever made.

Any oscar winners that you think didn't deserve it?

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:37 AM

I don't follow them closely but the first film that comes to mind is Avatar. What a sh*t story.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

First of his name

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:05 AM

Sandra Bollocks.

Jesus Christ that woman can't act for sh*t.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Wednesday, Feb 29 2012, 10:37)
I don't follow them closely but the first film that comes to mind is Avatar. What a sh*t story.

Avatar didn't get Oscar for scenario. The Hurt Locker grabbed that one IIRC. Avatar got oscars for pictures, special effects and scenography.

Marlowe.
  • Marlowe.

I Still Jerk-off Manually

• Members
  • Red-Cross

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

Gwyneth Paltrow over Cate Blanchett and Kevin Costner over Martin Scorsese are two that have always killed me.

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Gangsta

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:57 AM

Most recently, Drive being completely overlooked at the Oscars and last year Christopher Nolan not getting nominated for best Director.

The Oscars are a joke. Mark Kermode has his own awards called The Kermodes and to win one you cannot have been nominated for an Oscar in the same category. The point being to show that you can pick better winners from a last of films that aren't even nominated for an oscar.

He gave best film to We Need To Talk About Kevin.

Sunrise Driver
  • Sunrise Driver

The Infidel

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:13 PM Edited by Street Mix, 29 February 2012 - 01:17 PM.

The fact that Drive was nominated only for some minor category restored my trust in Oscar a bit. I'd better give oscar to HP7-2 than to Drive, not to mention much better movies from 2011.

I don't follow oscars so I can't say about worst yet.

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Gangsta

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE (Street Mix @ Wednesday, Feb 29 2012, 13:13)
The fact that Drive was nominated only for some minor category restored my trust in Oscar a bit. I'd better give oscar to HP7-2 than to Drive, not to mention much better movies from 2011.

I don't follow oscars so I can't say about worst yet.

Really? I appreciate that you don't like Drive but Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close has had terrible reviews yet gets a nomination for best film. Drive on the other hand made many critics' top ten list yet got no nomination. And you're telling me this restores your faith in the Oscars a bit?

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2016
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:17 PM Edited by darthYENIK, 29 February 2012 - 07:40 PM.

I was thinking about making a topic about this, but decided it wasn't really worth it. But I'll post it here.

Oscar voters overwhelmingly white, male
A Los Angeles Times study found that academy voters are markedly less diverse than the moviegoing public, and even more monolithic than many in the film industry may suspect. Oscar voters are nearly 94% Caucasian and 77% male, The Times found. Blacks are about 2% of the academy, and Latinos are less than 2%.

Oscar voters have a median age of 62, the study showed. People younger than 50 constitute just 14% of the membership.

So to recap, 94% white, 77% male, 86% over the age of 50.

EDIT: Also, they like to vote for people they believe are due a win, and not based on the work nominated. Like Scorsese, and this year Meryl Streep. Many people are saying they only got Oscars for best director and best actress because they've been nominated many many times, but haven't won or haven't won in decades, yet there were other more deserving performances nominated in their categories.

Sunrise Driver
  • Sunrise Driver

The Infidel

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:03 PM

@John The Grudge
For some unknown reason I thought movies that were nominated were good I was planning to watch them. Oh well...faith in Oscar didn't last long.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE (Tycek @ Wednesday, Feb 29 2012, 11:15)
QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Wednesday, Feb 29 2012, 10:37)

Avatar didn't get Oscar for scenario. The Hurt Locker grabbed that one IIRC. Avatar got oscars for pictures, special effects and scenography.

We'll it's a shame that films get nominated for visuals when the rest of the film is utter bollocks. The films getting Oscars should have great artistic merit on most fronts, then each one wins in it's particular category but that aint gonna happen.

BTW, the Hurt Locker was enjoyable.

Jeeebuuus
  • Jeeebuuus

AKA So-crates

• Members

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:10 AM

Saw Drive the other day. It had its moments. Watch Crash for something better. Or better yet, Crank.

The fact that Gary Oldman has never won an oscar is why I don't take them seriously. The Professional, True Romance, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Immortal Beloved, to name a few, and not even nominated? f*ck Oscar. He is not worth the "gold" he is formed of.

TheTrikstar
  • TheTrikstar

Skank!

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:50 AM Edited by Attorney General, 01 March 2012 - 12:41 PM.

Iron Lady barf8bd.gif f*ck Thatcher the c*nt. That films trailer made me feel sick confused.gif

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Gangsta

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:51 PM

QUOTE (TheTrikstar @ Thursday, Mar 1 2012, 11:50)
Iron Lady barf8bd.gif f*ck Thatcher the c*nt. That films trailer made me feel sick confused.gif

I hate Thatcher so the trailer made me feel sick too.

The Scottish Guy
  • The Scottish Guy

Toasty!

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:34 PM

The Oscars is always a pile of stinking sh*t.

My biggest problem was how the f*ck did Edward Norton not win Best Actor for American History X?

He lost to Roberto Benigni in some sh*t film called Life Is Beautiful.

f*cking disgrace.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

First of his name

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:46 PM Edited by GTAvanja, 24 March 2012 - 02:48 PM.

QUOTE (John The Grudge @ Thursday, Mar 1 2012, 16:51)

I'm sure everyone hates Thatcher. And it's so easy to portrait such a shallow and, dare I say evil character. I really don't know why Maryl Streep won the Oscar. All she had to do is act like a bitch. That's hardly a challenge.

Iminicus
  • Iminicus

You cried like a rape victim

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Wales

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:09 AM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Wednesday, Feb 29 2012, 11:17)
I was thinking about making a topic about this, but decided it wasn't really worth it. But I'll post it here.

Oscar voters overwhelmingly white, male
A Los Angeles Times study found that academy voters are markedly less diverse than the moviegoing public, and even more monolithic than many in the film industry may suspect. Oscar voters are nearly 94% Caucasian and 77% male, The Times found. Blacks are about 2% of the academy, and Latinos are less than 2%.

Oscar voters have a median age of 62, the study showed. People younger than 50 constitute just 14% of the membership.

So to recap, 94% white, 77% male, 86% over the age of 50.

EDIT: Also, they like to vote for people they believe are due a win, and not based on the work nominated. Like Scorsese, and this year Meryl Streep. Many people are saying they only got Oscars for best director and best actress because they've been nominated many many times, but haven't won or haven't won in decades, yet there were other more deserving performances nominated in their categories.

Meryl Streep never deserves an Oscar.

Capricornus
  • Capricornus

R.I.P Zee -_-

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:37 AM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Wednesday, Feb 29 2012, 10:05)
Sandra Bollocks.

Jesus Christ that woman can't act for sh*t.

Indeed, I agree. I don't follow the Oscars much if at all, but I think that time around, Sandra Bullock was given the sympathy card because of Jesse James screwing around on her.

Iminicus
  • Iminicus

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Wales

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:48 AM

The Oscars are just an industry circle jerk. I think the most depressing thing about them, besides the sh*t nominations and winners, is the fact the Super Bowl does a better job at advertising new movies.

This is the epitome of the Industry. It is their huge event of the year. It should be the set piece for showing films that are coming out in the following year. They need to change the focus, plus, they need to shrink the f*cking time between Oscar nominations and the show. And get rid of the Golden Globes.

Keep the BAFTAs, drop the Globes, and make Oscar Nominations closer to the date of the Oscars. Also, add more movie previews into the show via commercials, clips, etc. Stop with the f*cking fashion on the red carpet.

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Gangsta

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Saturday, Mar 24 2012, 14:46)
QUOTE (John The Grudge @ Thursday, Mar 1 2012, 16:51)

I'm sure everyone hates Thatcher. And it's so easy to portrait such a shallow and, dare I say evil character. I really don't know why Maryl Streep won the Oscar. All she had to do is act like a bitch. That's hardly a challenge.

user posted image

Iminicus
  • Iminicus

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Wales

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:41 PM

Can't you f*cks keep politics out of a thread? This is about the Oscars, not about who does or does not like Thatcher.

Archangelsky
  • Archangelsky

Snitch

• Members

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:14 AM

For me, the answer to this question is pretty easy.

I can not understand how on earth Tommy Lee Jones won best supporting male actor for his role in "The Fugitive" instead of Ralph Fiennes in "Schindler's List", its a disgrace.

I like Tommy as an actor, he has done some very good stuff but no way he outshines Fiennes in this case.

Generally it is a shame that Ralph Fiennes does not have any oscar's at the moment he has done very good roles in other movies as well.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:38 AM

wow, no mentioned Denzel Washington for Training Day yet?

Denzel won best actor for Training Day over Russel Crowe for A Beautiful Mind.
which was f*cking ridiculous in every possible way.

Russel was acting circles around Denzel that year.
Training Day was a good movie, and Denzel was good in it, but there was NO comparison to the job delivered by Crowe; his performance in Beautiful Mind was a clinic. the film in general was much better than Training Day.

the only reason the Foreign Press gave the Oscar to Denzel was politics.
because that year was the same year that they were honoring Sidney Poitier with the lifetime achievement award. so they had to make sure that all the popular black people won.

Sidney Poitier - lifetime.
Denzel Washington - lead male actor.
Halle Berry - lead female actor.

they gave black people the sweep because of Sidney.
Russel Crowe deserved it sooooo much more.

Archangelsky
  • Archangelsky

Snitch

• Members

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:32 AM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Saturday, Apr 21 2012, 01:38)
wow, no mentioned Denzel Washington for Training Day yet?

Denzel won best actor for Training Day over Russel Crowe for A Beautiful Mind.
which was f*cking ridiculous in every possible way.

Russel was acting circles around Denzel that year.
Training Day was a good movie, and Denzel was good in it, but there was NO comparison to the job delivered by Crowe; his performance in Beautiful Mind was a clinic. the film in general was much better than Training Day.

the only reason the Foreign Press gave the Oscar to Denzel was politics.
because that year was the same year that they were honoring Sidney Poitier with the lifetime achievement award. so they had to make sure that all the popular black people won.

Sidney Poitier - lifetime.
Denzel Washington - lead male actor.
Halle Berry - lead female actor.

they gave black people the sweep because of Sidney.
Russel Crowe deserved it sooooo much more.

I am not sure the reason you list is the only one.

If I remember correctly Crowe had some comments about someone or something that many would regard as putting his own chances for winning the award that year.

However I do agree that Crowe should have won.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:04 AM

The biggest joke was that Gary Oldman did not win the best actor gong for Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy.
Whilst I will concede that the film itself is a long, laborious, needlessly complex snoozefest, Oldman's performance is one of the things that makes it a good film. And if you're wondering how I can hate a film but still consider it good based on the acting, I'd also direct your attention to Iron Man. A poor story can be saved if the acting is good enough.

And 'good' is hardly adequate to describe Oldman, his portrayal of George Smiley was a masterclass. We are not hit over the head by any big monologues, but it's slight changes in expression, the subtle shift in his voice, that lets the audience gain some measure of who he is.
Just watch the scene where he's interrogating a possible spy on an airfield, he never raises his voice, yet cold menace oozes off him in waves, I was on the egde of my seat through the whole thing.

It was an impressive ensemble cast, but it was always Oldman's film and the fact that he didn't win was a travesty.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE (Typhus @ Saturday, Apr 21 2012, 06:04)
..... Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy.
Whilst I will concede that the film itself is a long, laborious, needlessly complex snoozefest, Oldman's performance is one of the things that makes it a good film....

While I hate to really put down a film, I really have to agree with your description of the film. I don't see the point in making film out of the book. It's really a bunch of talking heads where I didn't engage any empathy or any ounce of emotion towards any of the characters.

I'm reading a book on documentary filmmaking and one of the points the author makes is when you're making a doc, you can't or it's not advisable having just a bunch of talking heads. It doesn't make for enteraining (in the broad sense) viewing. You have to show the people doing things. Tinker Tailor..wasn't people doing stuff, just talking, which is fine (I love dialogue driven stories) but I suppose I didn't care what they had to say as their world so far removed from me and there was no attempt made for the audience to engage with any of the characters. The higlight of that film was watching Oldman going for a swim. It made me want to swim...oh and Tom Hardy is great at anything he does.

Sorry for going off topic a little. biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users