Photo

Your most HATED TYPO!

134 replies to this topic
John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

An error that I often see other people make is using 'to' when they should be using 'too.'

There are some words that, no matter how many times I see them, I can not recall the spelling of when I'm typing. It's usually longer words that have double letters in them. I often forget which letter is doubled.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

How many times I wished for a spell check that was basing it's algorithm off words being sounded out, when you type them, then correcting.
Word processing or email spell checks fix words as you type but not all words, and this is more annoying then it is intended to be, because I would assume you use your back key as you type so you don't have to re-read and re-check everything, but it is good to take up that practice!

X3MAC
  • X3MAC

Scofield

• Members

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:21 PM

The thing that I hate the most is when I do THis

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

It's happened to the best/worst of us. I feel obligated to fix it

Benjimino234
  • Benjimino234

♤ ♡ ♢ ♧

• Members

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

My typos are words like 'necessary' or when I'm trying to type super fast on words that I don't use often. I'm not so much a grammar nazi e.g hanging prepositions, etc. I will tell them double negatives or wrong tensing in a sentence.

I probably don't write sentences correctly but if I can get my point across clearly I think that's good enough. I'll try to end sentences strongly but I doubt I can do it correctly. I do also get annoyed with when people get the 'usual' wrong like their, yours and it's and their other meanings. I get really annoyed with what I thought is common knowledge - alot is not a word, there's a spell check on this, I mean seriously, do people not see a red dashed line underneath? Loose and lose, loose is like your mother, lose is when you don't win - I see this on Facebook all the damn time. Their all native English speakers, it's so idiotic.

AnotherDave
  • AnotherDave

Scream and Run

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE (Benjimino234 @ Thursday, Apr 19 2012, 12:49)
Their all native English speakers, it's so idiotic.

They're* tounge.gif

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

One class on report writing the Instructor said,”… the only words we misspell are the ones ‘we know how to spell’”. The reasoning being that we would ‘check’ the spelling of any words we didn’t know.

GTAction99
  • GTAction99

R*

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

wHEN I TYPE LIKE THIS, AND AT REALIZE AT THE LAST SECond.

Toup
  • Toup

Group: Cheesedicks

• Members

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

I usually write basicly instead of basically. This is just an act of laziness since I never gave myself the trouble of looking it up until 7 days ago.

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:16 PM

Typos don't really bother me that much, they are just that typos, mistakes in typing a word. Some people type quite fast and the fact they do it can lead to typos happening, it happens.

What does annoy me isn't typos it's purposefully typing entire lines of text in "txt speak"

u c if i try to do an ntire centans in txt spk it taks me ages to reed wat teh hel is rly beng sed.

I mean for f*cks sake it took me ages just to try and type that let alone read the thing, you may as well just post in a completely foreign language to the English you are trying to communicate with, I could probably translate it quicker.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:47 AM

Depends how naturally typing comes to you, I learned a bit more of speed typing then I did in the 80s, in High School, when I started IM via AOL in the early 2000s
I've never adopted the proper QWERTY technique, it's more placement of both hands over the keys, they can be a bit to the left or right and everything gets mucked up!!
Moving a keyboard's location is what can do this!
Also, finding a good keyboard in terms of keys can make a major difference

Juice By Kayla Marie
  • Juice By Kayla Marie

space vision; blast off

• Members

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

something I hate more than typos is my phones auto-correct! It is extremely annoying when I am texting someone and it changes words it doesn't know that are correct to something completely different. I end up asking someone where the rutabaga is n they are like "what?"

Mcquiz
  • Mcquiz

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

I hate it when people misuse there, their and they're and your, you're. Weirdly it seems that only people who make such mistakes are people whose first language is english.

Oddsock
  • Oddsock

Fresh and strong the world we seize

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:10 PM

Aside from the their/there/they're thing, I absolutely abhor people saying "should of" when it's "should have."

AnotherDave
  • AnotherDave

Scream and Run

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:06 AM

QUOTE (OdDsOcK @ Saturday, Apr 21 2012, 23:10)
I absolutely abhor people saying "should of" when it's "should have."

That reminds me of another I can't stand. People who write and say "generally" instead of "genuinely".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users