Photo

Reinstalled - Can't access any microsoft sites

10 replies to this topic
GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:42 PM Edited by GTA3Rockstar, 26 February 2012 - 11:46 PM.

So, I reinstalled Windows XP and now when I try to update everything I can't go to microsoft.com or use the windows updater. Obviously I can get to other websites, or I wouldn't be posting this.

I tried accessing it before installing anything, same problem. I used my ISP's DNS server, and I used opendns and google dns, same problem. Other thing is, I can access microsoft.com from annonymouse.org.

Any idea?

Windows XP SP3, currently.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:56 PM

Hey man! How's things? Oh, that bad, eh?
I'm using Windows install discs, and my PC Utilities CD ROM has Installer (Win's 3.5 version?) and .NET install upgrades, I also download and store EVERY Windows Service pack I need, that includes Office's own SP for version 2003, the one I use the most, Vista's SP2, etc.
It's a good thing to avoid having to keep downloading, since one time is enough for large MByte files

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:05 AM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Sunday, Feb 26 2012, 17:56)
Hey man! How's things? Oh, that bad, eh?
I'm using Windows install discs, and my PC Utilities CD ROM has Installer (Win's 3.5 version?) and .NET install upgrades, I also download and store EVERY Windows Service pack I need, that includes Office's own SP for version 2003, the one I use the most, Vista's SP2, etc.
It's a good thing to avoid having to keep downloading, since one time is enough for large MByte files

Cool, how does this help my situation? notify.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:14 AM

It helps, if you take incentive to have the updates already, Security patches are a bit more of an issue, but service packs for a Win install are best done Off-Line because of the time it takes. You didn't give much details about your browser, PC or laptop, when you had no problems and when you did have problems, usually something is the culprit, however, have you accessed MS' site before without issues?

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:17 AM Edited by GTA3Rockstar, 27 February 2012 - 12:19 AM.

I had a slipstream XP SP3 cd I used, I could get to microsoft.com before I restored my pc today. Now that I have my programs installed and what not, I can't access microsoft.com to get the updates I am missing. Like net framework. confused.gif

And when I was activating my xp, it couldn't find the server with their program and had to activate it with the phone.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:21 AM

Here's a web page I'm bookmarking for the new Win8 trials, can you access this?
http://msdn.microsof...s/apps/br229516

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:27 AM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Sunday, Feb 26 2012, 18:21)
Here's a web page I'm bookmarking for the new Win8 trials, can you access this?
http://msdn.microsof...s/apps/br229516

Nope, can't in IE or firefox.

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at msdn.microsoft.com.

Check the address for typing errors such as
    ww.example.com instead of
    www.example.com
  If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.
  If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
    that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:32 AM

For the record, I'm using updated Firefox, not had an issue, if you registered your Windows, you might have been hasty, I used to think, BUT I was able to re-install my Black Screen of Death Vista, and use the same COA code, so that was a major weight off my mind, their guide says that a reinstall to the same drive and hardware is not an issue that would require purchase of validating COA, so if need be, another attempt might fix something, I've not encountered a problem like that since MS is a trusted site for Windows users, it sounds like some sort of virus would act that way

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:43 AM Edited by GTA3Rockstar, 27 February 2012 - 06:25 AM.

Getting annoying, can't download some programs I used because I need the updated net framework.

I can google search some topics and use the cache feature to view some pages but can't find anything useful.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:10 AM Edited by Slamman, 27 February 2012 - 01:13 AM.

Run any and all Anti-Virus apps you have, and look up anything thwarting MS contact from Windows, I really would be looking at that, since mine is working fine, so the site is not an issue, and Firefox should work, I suppose you would be opposed to using IE?

elitex778
  • elitex778

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:38 AM

check your host file

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users