Quantcast

» «
Photo

So what is music like where you're from?

18 replies to this topic
dyspoid
  • dyspoid

Trick

• Members

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:38 PM

*the topic description is a joke, just to clarify.

Hey guys, I'm kind of interested as to what music is like in different parts of the world, at the moment.

I'm interested, because, in this international age, one would assume that music taste/style/etc would be uniform across the globe, butttttttt, I'd hope that I'm incorrect...

...mostly because Australia is still suffering the hipster plague of 2010, and thus, music is pretty f*cking terrible.

So what is music like, wherever you guys are from?

AlexGTAGamer
  • AlexGTAGamer

Time flies when you throw a clock.

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:32 PM Edited by AlexGTAGamer, 21 February 2012 - 06:35 PM.

I like to think of the UK music wise as a melting pot of songs.

However, there is one music event that we have that I don't think many other countries have, and that is "The Proms".

And I'll just throw this song in by the London Symphony Orchestra for fun. biggrin.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:20 PM

GTA IV was not a representation of USA radio, NYC I'm not so sure of, but a few States West, for damn sure I am! haha
Just want to clear that up here

ilovebender.com
  • ilovebender.com

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:40 AM Edited by ilovebender.com, 22 February 2012 - 03:25 PM.

My local bands,
music from here in no real order what so ever;

The Damned - Came from around the corner.

T-Rex - Went to my first school.

Jeff Beck - 's from my town, or so my town say, he's from near it, but, from it too, I guess.

Hot Chocolate - Used to see this guy around Sainsbury's ('the supermarket.')

Dido - Used to use my old Job Centre, Streatham Job Centre.

The Clash

David Bowie too.

At one point, Bob Marley lived in Brixton aswell.

This music video was shot in Brixton. dozingoff.gif

Eternal - Came from around the same corner as the Damned did.

This too.

Around another corner from me is the Brit School, the other bus stop, so;

Amy Winehouse
Leona Lewis
Adele (also local.)

This guy's from Jamaica, but he moved to my neighbourhood and lived down the street. He died here too.

Desmond Dekker.

And others. There's a lot of music here, from underground to mainstream, rock/rap/whatever. They say DubStep was invented here too.

These are just the local ones that I know about, don't get me started on the rest of London, or I'd be here all week.

kudoboi
  • kudoboi

HI

• Members

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:55 AM

well the music here is pretty much anything u will find on mtv... also alot of jpop and kpop and pretty much the local singers here are horsesh*t so no1 listens to them

Carbine23
  • Carbine23

Work Hard & Say It's Easy

• Members

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

Well over the last few years most people here on Long Island listen to rap/hip hop or whatever's mainstream on the radio like Lil Wayne. But recently dubstep has become a big thing especially when i went to college. So...i'd still say the music taste is terrible but i know Linkin Park, Metallica and some other bands that i like are coming out with new albums.

If i had to say any decent or good rappers right now in the mainstream it would be Kid Cudi & Kanye West

ilovebender.com
  • ilovebender.com

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:12 PM

Music's the same here as it is anywhere.

Okay, maybe it's a just little bit more vibrant here, but not by much, we still get all the same things as everybody else.

dyspoid
  • dyspoid

Trick

• Members

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:55 AM

Any good new bands? Anywhere? Or is the music industry pretty much polluted with hipster crap, such as Odd Future.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:40 AM

QUOTE (dyspoid @ Thursday, Feb 23 2012, 21:55)
Any good new bands? Anywhere? Or is the music industry pretty much polluted with hipster crap, such as Odd Future.

Now there is a never ending question.

I don't get out much these days, but we [always had] have a pretty decent music scene in this town.

Oh and I'm pretty sure we gave the world Doo Wop.

Big Remi
  • Big Remi

Rat

• Members

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:04 AM

The radio around here plays nothing but country, country, and more country. Not the older stuff either, the newer, pop-country that will drive you to take an ice pick and jam it into your eardrum after prolonged exposure. suicidal.gif The only "local" artist of any note would be Darius Rucker of Hootie and the Blowfish.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:30 AM

If you travel to Middle Minnesota, you'll find some Country bumpkins too, I know the feeling. Don Henley of the Eagles made mention of some new country artists he admires, but he's sung about the lack of traditional country, but there should be a fair balance. Seems here, the Southern end of MN, we have two main rock stations, another is a more nu-metal one, not really my taste, though before they set in on a format genre, they were actually a breath of fresh air

Thunderfuckrapist
  • Thunderfuckrapist

Turdler Durpden

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None
  • Best Vehicle 2012 [HD GTA Cars]

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:20 AM

Australia had plenty of great bands in the 90s but they are more rare these days. Some good Aussie bands The Avalanches, Regurgitator, The Presets, Grinspoon, Sliverchair, Bodyjar, Machine Gun Fellatio, The Butterfly Effect, The Vines, The Living End, Pendulum and more, I know Im forgetting a bunch.

GTAIVSucker
  • GTAIVSucker

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

Well I live in the Netherlands where Electronic House/Progressive/Attack/Trance is really exploding to the mainstream now. Only true House DJ's like Hardwell, Armin van Buuren and Tiesto for example keep their style.

mrpain
  • mrpain

wub wub

• Zaibatsu

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:40 AM

QUOTE (kudoboi @ Wednesday, Feb 22 2012, 19:55)
well the music here is pretty much anything u will find on mtv... also alot of jpop and kpop and pretty much the local singers here are horsesh*t so no1 listens to them

That's because you don't attend concerts and whatnot over in Singapore. We're from the same country, but I bet I know more about it then you do.

Can't find a proper video for some of the songs. Local bands here don't have an official channel.

I was here

kudoboi
  • kudoboi

HI

• Members

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE (mrpain @ Sunday, Feb 26 2012, 00:40)
QUOTE (kudoboi @ Wednesday, Feb 22 2012, 19:55)

That's because you don't attend concerts and whatnot over in Singapore. We're from the same country, but I bet I know more about it then you do.

Can't find a proper video for some of the songs. Local bands here don't have an official channel.

I was here

imo i would still rather listen to bands from overseas though eg: foster the people

Los Santos Pedestrian
  • Los Santos Pedestrian

Then as it was, but again it will be

• Members

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:54 PM

This band that was formed about 30 miles away from me in Burlington, VT, and they're type of band that's kind of mainstream but not really.

ilovebender.com
  • ilovebender.com

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:32 PM

They say the genre Dubstep was invented in this really cool shop in town that closed down whilst I was in seconday school.

Mockage
  • Mockage

First Breath After Coma

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

Heard about what happened in Australia. I wonder if Silverchair is still around there? I haven't listened to them in ages.

I'm not that into it but the flow and rhyming pattern is impressive. It's pretty good if you ask me.

ilovebender.com
  • ilovebender.com

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:39 AM Edited by ilovebender.com, 29 February 2012 - 01:35 PM.

Britain can do posh rather well.

Bohemian Rhapsody is as British as the unicorn on my passport.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users