Photo

EFLC/GTAIV wont launch, 0xc0000005 error SOLVED

6 replies to this topic
TheMarkofZollo
  • TheMarkofZollo

Snitch

• Members

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:30 PM

So if you try to launch EFLC and basically nothing happens (Social club doesn't even open), and/or in event viewer you see a 0xc0000005 error after, then this may help. (I have GTA on steam btw and have had trouble searching for a solution)
I have somehow managed to solve the problem in a list of things I carried out yesterday. So that it may be able to help anyone in the future with the same problem I will explain the path to the solution.

1. I looked into a registry cleaner, downloaded RegGenie and managed to get a free serial key on a youtube vid (), it showed about 700 errors in my registry and other parts of Windows which it then fixed.
I tried EFLC again but it had not fixed the 0xc0000005 error that I was getting despite the promise of being able to fix it.
2. I then found on the GTA forum that IE9 may cause problems with RGSC ( http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=459257 ) so I tried to delete the wininet.dll for IE9 but could not due to permissions so I then uninstalled IE9.
3. Reading the post by dental about putting IE8 wininet.dll in the games folder also helps so I did, taking the one from C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-i..tocolimplementation_31bf3856ad364e35_8.0.7600.20862_none_79346fb94b962189 (closest version I had to what dental used) and put it in EFLCs folder.
I had to restart after this but the game still didn't work.

I tried to play BF3 later but that gave me the 0xc0000005 error too when I have had no issues before so;
4. I did a system restore but my anti-virus was stopping it. After trying by disabling Bitdefender AV and then system restore which didn't work I then uninstalled Bitdefender and the restore worked OK, restored to the 18th which was the last one before RegGenie.

BF3 then worked fine again but didn't try EFLC until this morning and it just worked, RGSC came up asking for the security key (which is where I guess it was crashing before) and now the game is fine.
So whether it was RegGenie sorting the registry or something else im not sure. Remove wininet.dll from EFLC folder doesn't seem to effect the game so I don't know.

I hope this may help others in the future, cheers.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:28 PM

The wininet problem related to IE9 beta.

TheMarkofZollo
  • TheMarkofZollo

Snitch

• Members

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:55 AM

I was aware of that in the link I gave, however I tried it anyway 'just in case' and I listed all I did above because something suddenly triggered the game to launch after two months of failing to.

Cheers

Ryan707
  • Ryan707

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:14 PM

wait so is this a fix?

TheMarkofZollo
  • TheMarkofZollo

Snitch

• Members

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:34 AM

I'm not sure, it certainly stopped the 0xc0000005 error that I was getting in event viewer when trying to launch the game. Without actively searching for the error that would be trying to launch the game, a steam window opening saying 'preparing to launch EFLC' and then nothing happening.
I could not find any evidence of this exact error on line so posted the above to hopefully help anyone if they do encounter it.

Cheers

YankeesPwnMets
  • YankeesPwnMets

More Betterer

• Members

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:02 PM Edited by YankeesPwnMets, 26 February 2012 - 08:06 PM.

Just a tip, use a free, legitimate cleaner next time. Whats the point of pirating a registry cleaner when something free like CCleaner is better then most other things.

Oh yea right. RegGenie is a rogue.

TheMarkofZollo
  • TheMarkofZollo

Snitch

• Members

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:43 PM

I was unaware there was a free version of CCleaner, and I'm not pirating anything by using a legitimate code accepted by the software.
At any rate using that may not have changed anything, I simply wanted to post to say 'I had this error and managed to fix it'.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users