Choosing a motherboard

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic
CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:43 PM

My Q6600 based PC decided it no longer wanted to live on this planet any more. So with a heavy heart I started delving into the murky world of PC tech again. I basically just need a new cpu, motherboard and RAM because I am pretty sure the PSU, harddiscs and graphics card are still working.

After having a read around I gather the "Intel Sandybridge i5-2500K Unlocked Core i5 Quad-Core Processor" is the honey pot at the moment so I am getting one of them along with 8gbs of Corsair 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 (2x4gbs).

The only question left is the motherboard, I don't have crazy amounts of cash so a motherboard over 100 will take me way over budget. I am not too fussed about overclocking so I don't need a 200 phase motherboard tounge.gif . With that in mind the four boards I am looking at are as follows :-
  • Gigabyte XKT-1155 Z68AP-D3
  • Asus P8Z68-V LX Z68
  • MSI Z68S-G43 (G3)
  • ASRock P67 PRO3
At the moment I am leaning towards the MSI Z68S-G43 which incorporates PCI 3 (will come in handy when I finally ditch my GTX260). Anyone have any comments/suggestions or any better alternatives ?

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:27 PM

I think any of these boards will do just fine. I personally prefer Gigabyte and ASUS seeing has how I've used them myself.

Something to keep in mind; 3 of the 4 boards you picked have 2xPCIe slots but they only support Crossfire, no nVidia SLI

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:29 PM

ASRock P67 Pro3 is a great choice if you want a cheap, yet fully functional mobo with good OC capabilities.

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE (Wolf68k @ Monday, Feb 20 2012, 18:27)
Something to keep in mind; 3 of the 4 boards you picked have 2xPCIe slots but they only support Crossfire, no nVidia SLI

Yeah should've mentioned that I wasn't too bothered about crossfire/SLI. Never really felt the need to have more than one GPU.

Anyway thanks for the feedback so far. Urgh I hate this part of PC building I get the feeling it is going to end up with a game of "eenie meenie miny mo, catch a motherboard on the go. If it BSOD's let it go, eenie meenie miny mo".

I have a couple of days left before I place the order (using a clapped out core2duo at the moment) so I will keep reading around.

Driftking120
  • Driftking120

Madman

• Members

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:10 PM

currently I'm running a MSI big bang flawlessly so i've so far had a good experience with them.
In my opinion any one of these motherboards would be fine,
although what is the budget for your mobo?
I would get one based on what features you might use which all of them have different sets of features.
also if you do not care about overclocking, you could get a regular 2500
and then get even better mobo or better anything else you might be upgrading. also i wouldn't base a buy off of reviews as people can sometimes be a little based in their opinion.

p.s. for anyone wondering my ssd is working properly now biggrin.gif ,was using wrong program to test the speed

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies

• United-Kingdom

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:34 PM

In my last three builds, I've only used ASUS motherboards. I've never had an issue with them that wasn't caused by my own ineptitude, they've been fantastic and all the RoG/TUF series boards have at least 5 year warranties on them.

SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:36 PM

Ha... A Sandy Bridge board with a parallel port?? Never thought I'd see that lol...

None of those boards are any good for SLI, and barely good enough for Crossfire. I agree with yojo2... Out of those choices... I'd go with the ASRock P67 Pro3. As far as PCIe3 goes, well, with budget boards like these, I don't see one purchasing a super-high-end (unreleased) card that saturates PCIe 2.0 bandwidth anytime soon. Not to mention, you will have to upgrade from the 2500K to the 3570K or the 3770K (Ivy Bridge) in order to even support PCIe 3.0.

Only Crossfire/SLI cards will benefit from PCIe 3 for the next few years.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:06 AM Edited by Slamman, 24 February 2012 - 02:18 AM.

CC, it's "hard DISK", DISC variant of the word is used most notably if not solely for optical read media, where as Hard Drives pre-date that.

LaserDisc, the precursor to Compact Disc is optically read, the first of it's kind, oddly though, David Paul Gregg was using the word Disk at one point, but seeing as how the terms have been used for decades now, there is a clear distinction

That Q6600 would still serve gaming well, since it's 4 core, but older gen 45nm? 775 socket T
If you chose Sandy Bridge however, you can easily put it up for auction, but moving your Windows or other OS to a new hardware environment is the trickiest part of the equation, it's best if you can move your personal data onto a new fresh HDD format.

A BSOD is not caused by mobo issues, as far as any I ever encountered, that's more Windows errors causing things like that. Mobos failure means no POST, no boot, or shut downs, as noted, graphics acting erratic, loss of audio, of course Windows or Linux and drivers are lines in the process that have to be addressed, but the hardware failure will effect any drive used on it.
I own both MSI and Biostar, as mentioned, Asustek has been used in HP Media Center rigs, Foxconn has made products for OEMs as well as even Intel offering their own boards, read plenty of reviews to see how they all stack up. PCIe2.0 will be good for some time, if you evolve to Ivy Bridge or newer, then make sure you have USB 3 and PCIe 3 on board for the ride

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:18 AM

I wondered when you would find your way here :-

QUOTE (Slamman @ Friday, Feb 24 2012, 03:06)
CC, it's "hard DISK", DISC variant of the word is used most notably if not solely for optical read media, where as Hard Drives pre-date that.

Completely off topic and who gives a sh*t ?

LaserDisc, the precursor to Compact Disc is optically read, the first of it's kind, oddly though, David Paul Gregg was using the word Disk at one point, but seeing as how the terms have been used for decades now, there is a clear distinction

Oh look off topic and again who gives a sh*t ?

That Q6600 would still serve gaming well, since it's 4 core, but older gen 45nm? 775 socket T
If you chose Sandy Bridge however, you can easily put it up for auction, but moving your Windows or other OS to a new hardware environment is the trickiest part of the equation, it's best if you can move your personal data onto a new fresh HDD format.

I don't sell stuff second hand (which I have told you time and time again) because it comes with way too many headaches. I don't need you to advise me on how to set up a new system I have been doing it for nigh on 20 years. I only posted to get some thoughts on some motherboards to save a bit of time researching stuff.

A BSOD is not caused by mobo issues, as far as any I ever encountered, that's more Windows errors causing things like that. Mobos failure means no POST, no boot, or shut downs, as noted, graphics acting erratic, loss of audio, of course Windows or Linux and drivers are lines in the process that have to be addressed, but the hardware failure will effect any drive used on it.

Did I say it was a BSOD ? No I didn't, did I give you any idea or any information for you to diagnose why my Q6600 died ? No I didn't, hell did I even ASK for advice on fixing it ? No I didn't. In future when someone asks for advice or information on a SPECIFIC thing how about you just stick to that eh ?

I own both MSI and Biosta

^ this is about the ONLY useful advice you have posted. Now you have told me which boards you own I know which boards to stay well clear off then.

Anyway could a mod close this topic I chose my board, so there is no need for this to remain open. Many thanks to the other members that took time to help me out.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:28 AM Edited by Slamman, 24 February 2012 - 04:31 AM.

^ Why are you being rude, I recall your Xbox purchase, yes, but I also remember you passing me system build ideas, I didn't forget that, the Optical disc comments were spurred on by a recent PM I had with another member about LaserDiscs, so I was reminded to mention them again! haha
No offense is ever intended on my end, I get a laugh from it. I AM CORRECTING your own usage error, however

"I hate this part of PC building I get the feeling it is going to end up with a game of "eenie meenie miny mo, catch a motherboard on the go. If it BSOD's let it go, eenie meenie miny mo"."

BSOD I commented on is from your quoted post ^^

You also didn't say your Q6600 was what died, I couldn't determine from your post what caused system failure
I'd buy one, and again, tossing out working gear is against all I stand for! haha

BioStar and MicroStar, even EliteGroup make budget boards, but they perform, I have not had those "which boards to stay away from" fail on me, and remember, you were trying to meet my budgeting criteria, it stands to reason you're going to look at some budget models if you're confined to low or no cash

Girish
  • Girish

• India

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:24 AM

Locked on OP's request.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users