Hunger in GTA V

190 replies to this topic
Ex Hellraiser
  • Ex Hellraiser

Legendary

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:28 AM

As long as there's steak, I'll eat forever, and it won't be an annoyance at all.

GTA_Link
  • GTA_Link

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:45 AM

The food and hunger system, IMO should be better than San Andreas. I propose that player can have a system of losing energy and not being able to sprint when hungry.
P.S: The meal system should be like San Andreas, but more vibrant and realistic. Food customization would be cool enough. Also the Pizza Delivery System should more handy.

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE (GTA_Link @ Thursday, Feb 23 2012, 08:45)
The food and hunger system, IMO should be better than San Andreas. I propose that player can have a system of losing energy and not being able to sprint when hungry.
P.S: The meal system should be like San Andreas, but more vibrant and realistic. Food customization would be cool enough. Also the Pizza Delivery System should more handy.

Because having to eat every hour wouldn't be annoying enough. No, you also lose functionality too. While you're at it, why not have a nagging wife and a 9 to 5 job with a harsh boss. And what about enforced traffic laws, too? Why not house chores while you're at it?

Trideez
  • Trideez

GTAForums OG

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:13 PM

I wouldn't mind if my character gets hungry as long as he doesn't start losing health over it. But if he just starts talking to himself saying sh*t like "Damn I'm hungry!" or starts singing the theme song for Cluckin Bell, that would be awesome IMO, lol.

Death2Drugs
  • Death2Drugs

Wanna milky?

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE (Trideez @ Thursday, Feb 23 2012, 20:13)
I wouldn't mind if my character gets hungry as long as he doesn't start losing health over it. But if he just starts talking to himself saying sh*t like "Damn I'm hungry!" or starts singing the theme song for Cluckin Bell, that would be awesome IMO, lol.

I agree.

Actually, the hunger system in San Andreas actually did that. Slowly losing health. I wouldn't mind really, as long as it isn't every in-game hour.

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

• Members

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:33 AM

Are some of you people seriously telling me that you want to have to drive across the map to a burger shot every time your hunger meter or whatever gets low? Why? How is that fun? How is it entertaining? Realism does not equal fun or entertainment. It can improve those if used in the right way, but this is so not the right way. What, do you also want to have to go to the bathroom? It's the same principle, really. After a set interval, you'd have to go to the bathroom, just like you'd have to eat with the hunger system back. Seriously though, if you want to have hunger and bladder and all those other motives. go play the sims. Because I'd rather not have a fun tank rampage interrupted by a growly stomach. Tank rampages are fun. Eating is not.

KK13
  • KK13

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:08 AM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Monday, Feb 20 2012, 01:19)
QUOTE (StockLoc @ Monday, Feb 20 2012, 12:09)
QUOTE (Itchy feed @ Sunday, Feb 19 2012, 23:54)
So I was just reading a post about spending money in GTA V and at the end he said bring hunger back for a big mac. This got me thinking. Do you really want hunger to come back in GTA V or not. When I play GTA SA, I always get sick of having to stop my fun or race out the desert to get to the closest burger shot. If they do bring hunger back, which I guess they will due to the whole money thing, then I hope it last longer so I can carry on playing. What do you think ?

I think the hunger thing is great. I remember eating was one of my favorite things to do in S.A.

I think they SHOULD put it back because, well; after the game is done - there is nothing left to do.

I want some side distractions to make sure I'm entertained.

-Stock Loc

What's entertaining about eating? I mean really?

Actually,paying for the gas/food is realistic and thats how i like to play. Much like Mafia II, it made the game interesting. it wasnt as if you had to pay every 5/10 minutes. it was as simple. Plus,gas stations/resturants are put in the game,so why not make them useful? Mafia kept me entertained also included several missions with the gas stations/resturants.

walkingsickness
  • walkingsickness

Mr. "Blow Your Head Off"

• Members

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:49 AM

I think the reason on why SA did so good (much better than IV imo) is the
level of realism in it. Small things like eating was a good reminder that this
is, for most who enjoyed playing the game, a direct sim with a conflict as
the storyline and that would take your attention off of your real life for a moment.

Having that in this game and the updated graphics would be a plus for me,
personally

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

• Members

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:46 AM

QUOTE (KK13 @ Tuesday, Mar 20 2012, 04:08)
QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Monday, Feb 20 2012, 01:19)
QUOTE (StockLoc @ Monday, Feb 20 2012, 12:09)
QUOTE (Itchy feed @ Sunday, Feb 19 2012, 23:54)
So I was just reading a post about spending money in GTA V and at the end he said bring hunger back for a big mac. This got me thinking. Do you really want hunger to come back in GTA V or not. When I play GTA SA, I always get sick of having to stop my fun or race out the desert to get to the closest burger shot. If they do bring hunger back, which I guess they will due to the whole money thing, then I hope it last longer so I can carry on playing. What do you think ?

I think the hunger thing is great. I remember eating was one of my favorite things to do in S.A.

I think they SHOULD put it back because, well; after the game is done - there is nothing left to do.

I want some side distractions to make sure I'm entertained.

-Stock Loc

What's entertaining about eating? I mean really?

Actually,paying for the gas/food is realistic and thats how i like to play. Much like Mafia II, it made the game interesting. it wasnt as if you had to pay every 5/10 minutes. it was as simple. Plus,gas stations/resturants are put in the game,so why not make them useful? Mafia kept me entertained also included several missions with the gas stations/resturants.

But they already are useful. Food can regenerate lost health, and gas stations can be used in massive ass explosions. Why should I be forced to eat and fuel up my car? And don't use time interval as an excuse for those. That's still doesn't explain why I should be forced to eat and fuel up my car in the first place. Why should I have to do these things when I have no desire to do them? Answer that without using some bullsh*t handwave excuse like "oh, it's realistic therefore better" or "You wouldn't have to do it that often". Those do not explain nor excuse why I should have to keep my car filled up with gas and my character filled up with food. I don't like having to do constant maintenance. It's not a feature, it's a chore. Plain and simple.

At the very least make this sh*t optional. I don't want to fill up my car with gas or feed my character every hour. Maintenance is for real life.

rare.steak
  • rare.steak

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:25 AM

I'm pretty sure I'll get hungry after playing GTA V for like 12 hours straight, anyway, so it's not a matter of whether I want to feel hunger or not because I definitely will.

gtacrazyz
  • gtacrazyz

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:25 AM

realistic steak >>> anything else

the game could be just steak the whole way through imo

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Tainted

• Antarctica

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:50 AM Edited by Miamivicecity, 20 March 2012 - 10:53 AM.

QUOTE (walkingsickness @ Tuesday, Mar 20 2012, 16:49)
I think the reason on why SA did so good (much better than IV imo) is the
level of realism in it. Small things like eating was a good reminder that this
is, for most who enjoyed playing the game,  a direct sim with a conflict as
the storyline and that would take your attention off of your real life for a moment.

Having that in this game and the updated graphics would be a plus for me,
personally

There's nothing wrong with realism when it's an actual benefit to the game, but eating, working out etc isn't what I call fun. I have myself to look after. I don't want to babysit a virtual character.

Next thing is the protagonist will get the flu and we'll have to go to the pharmacy and get him medicine. So fun.

meson1
  • meson1

Soldier

• Members

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:14 AM Edited by meson1, 20 March 2012 - 03:00 PM.

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Tuesday, Mar 20 2012, 10:50)
There's nothing wrong with realism when it's an actual benefit to the game, but eating, working out etc isn't what I call fun. I have myself to look after. I don't want to babysit a virtual character.

Yep. This sums it up nicely. "I don't want to babysit a virtual character."

Eating and working out should only feature as part of other gaming mechanisms.

For instance,
  1. Eating to restore health.
  2. Eating to tailor your body type.
  3. Working out to tailor your body type.
  4. Working out to level up physical abilities.
And to be honest, apart from the restoring health bit, most of that could be left out for me.

I don't need body customisation. They did it in San Andreas and it was okay. But the novelty has worn off and I could really do without all the button bashing. Niko in GTA:IV was great. He just came as he was and they just wanted you to BE Niko. No need to make him ripped or fat or anything.

And as for levelling up abilities, there are far more interesting ways to do that than running on a treadmill or spending time on a cycling machine. These activities might be realistic, but they are boring. It was much more fun to do the ambulance missions in VC to end up with the infinite sprint ability.

But eating to stay alive, having to take showers, brush my teeth, going to the restroom for a comfort break. Forget all that. It's just a waste of time. I want to get on with playing my game. I suggest people that want these features should buy themselves a Tamagotchi, or even better go out and do it for real in real life (where you can at least taste the food). biggrin.gif

--------------------

MikeyB
  • MikeyB

Floppy Member

• Members

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:09 PM

No no no noooooo. No hunger please.

I hate things like this in games.

Games are supposed to be fantasy not reality. If I want to go out shooting people I don't want to have to remember to eat a good meal first.

What will be next? Sole of your shoe falling off and you have to find a 24 hour cobbler or limp round all night.

Long_Haired_Boy
  • Long_Haired_Boy

Whilst everyone's lost, the battle is won

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:21 PM

Well working out and eating is optional in real life and it should be in the game aswell.

voyager4520
  • voyager4520

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

I hated hunger in SA. They did it correctly in IV, you can gain health that way but it's not necessary to eat.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

I'd happy if they added it in as an option that can be turned off and on.

DaWiesel
  • DaWiesel

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE (ynashimitsu @ Monday, Feb 20 2012, 01:58)
Yes it would actually give us a reason to buy big macs or hotdogs

There is a reason in GTA IV to buy big macs or hotdogs, use your brain.

TheGreene2010
  • TheGreene2010

GTA Forums is a hopeless wretched place

• Members

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

I used the no hunger cheat more then anything in GTA SA, the hunger thing was bad. I mean it's bad enough I have to worry about the gang areas being attacked, adding hunger to the mix made it terrible. confused.gif

Inusan
  • Inusan

Snitch

• Members

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:34 AM Edited by Inusan, 21 March 2012 - 01:36 AM.

No, I prefer the way IV did it. In IV you only needed to eat because you needed to refill your health, not because the game is forcing you to do so for no real reason. If there is such a thing, there better be a way to disable it.

(Yakuza)
  • (Yakuza)

Dragon of GTA

• Members

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:38 AM

If it means spending cash then bring it on. I hope it aint 1 dollar for a f*cken burger this time cuz thats cheap as hell

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

• Members

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:30 AM

You people have gone through SA's hunger system right? Do you really want to go back to that?

sonnyBlack
  • sonnyBlack

Rest your trigger on my finger

• Members

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:34 AM

QUOTE (Racecarlock @ Thursday, Apr 5 2012, 23:30)
You people have gone through SA's hunger system right? Do you really want to go back to that?

I have and no I wouldn't want to go back to it. I'd rather this idea get scrapped in favor of a feature that'll actually be fun.

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

• Members

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:37 AM

QUOTE (sonnyBlack @ Friday, Apr 6 2012, 04:34)
QUOTE (Racecarlock @ Thursday, Apr 5 2012, 23:30)

I have and no I wouldn't want to go back to it. I'd rather this idea get scrapped in favor of a feature that'll actually be fun.

I know, right? And yet, people continue to fight for this as though they forgot how tedious it was in SA. There's a reason I use the no hunger cheat. It's not because I'm worried about CJ's waistline.

mynameisskrillex
  • mynameisskrillex

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

Yes I would want hunger in the game, the rdr sort of thing where you can store food on you, but for the people who don't want hunger there should be a 'never go hungry' like in sa

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

EZ5

• United-States

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:44 PM

I always use no hunger in San Andreas. It was scrapped in IV so I'm sure we won't have to worry about that feature returning.

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

• Members

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:02 AM

QUOTE (Vanzant @ Friday, Apr 6 2012, 13:44)
I always use no hunger in San Andreas. It was scrapped in IV so I'm sure we won't have to worry about that feature returning.

I don't know. When people are asking for car maintenance (http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=506886) suddenly hunger doesn't seem far off. I don't want it, I'd find it very annoying, but here we are anyways.

eSJe
  • eSJe

NPC

• Members

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:45 AM

It is just bothering from fun.
Running from cops then your health reduces due to hunger...
than you die because hunger instead of bullets?
lol tounge2.gif

ResidentPSYCHO
  • ResidentPSYCHO

Parallel Universe

• Members

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

Probably not a new idea but here goes:

Food is more like armour in that you dont need it but if you do get some it gives a slight advantage. After eating for a duration of time you have increased endurance, can run for longer without taking a break and possibly faster too.

Also to help speed things up their can be vehicle drive thrus and paid for food deliveries to safe house. If you have paid for food at your home then if you walk into the kitchen it refills the hunger bar.

Death2Drugs
  • Death2Drugs

Wanna milky?

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE (eSJe @ Thursday, Apr 12 2012, 08:45)
It is just bothering from fun.
Running from cops then your health reduces due to hunger...
than you die because hunger instead of bullets?
lol tounge2.gif

It gives off a realistic feel. A man couldn't go without food for days. Anyway it's not like it happens every time. It only happened after hours in San Andreas.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users