Photo

Dragons

78 replies to this topic
OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:03 PM Edited by oysterbarron, 21 February 2012 - 08:13 PM.

all my statements are assuming that dragons existed in the first place!

ok people maynot burst into flames literally. What i'm trying to say is the spitting fire from its mouth could of been a chemical reaction that caused burns to the victim more the sensation of fire! and maybe over the years it has been misinterprited as real flames to make the story sound more interesting!

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:26 PM

I'm at a loss to explain something here that everyone else hasn't already said. Something that large would leave evidence, something that large wouldn't be a tiny fringe animal or mutation (wings don't just sprout overnight) so evidence for it wouldn't be only found in hidden corners of the Marinas Trench, breathing fire is impossible, Dragons are a legend (meaning invented creature) from Medieval times, there haven't been any reptiles that size since the Cretaceous, etc etc ad infinitum.

If you actually think they might exist because you played Skyrim, I'm sorry but you're an idiot. There is no other way to say it.

What next? Talking shrimps?

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:20 PM

They actually just published a paper that relates. Here is an article about it. Ancient plants back to life after 30,000 frozen years

Scientists in Russia have grown plants from fruit stored away in permafrost by squirrels over 30,000 years ago.

Back in the lab, near Moscow, the team's attempts to germinate mature seeds failed.

Eventually they found success using elements of the fruit itself, which they refer to as "placental tissue" and propagated in laboratory dishes.

Notice that even the plant's seeds did not survive. They simply managed to extract a few living cells out of the fruit body. So out of a permafrozen sample, only a few cells were recoverable, and only because of certain properties of the cells themselves.

Survival of the whole organism over such long periods is absolutely impossible. Granted, we are talking 30k years, rather than 1-2k, but we are also talking about deep freeze rather than mere hibernation.

Jeeebuuus
  • Jeeebuuus

AKA So-crates

• Members

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:06 AM

Dragons are mythological creatures from the Old Testament just like unicorns. If I'm not mystaken they do not exist. Except in China. Everythings made there.

Stremel
  • Stremel

trees are ready.

• Members

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:09 AM

Ghosts are more believable than dragons.

Melchior
  • Melchior

come on and tell me twice

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Unknown

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:27 AM

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Wednesday, Feb 22 2012, 05:21)
QUOTE (oysterbarron @ Tuesday, Feb 21 2012, 19:52)
Well medevil times was when they decided to slay the remaining dragons  so i pressume they existed for along time before that! some humans spontaniously combust the exact cause is unknown but it shows that if the right chemicals are present in the body it is posdibke to produce flame.

1) There's no evidence that humans spontaneously combust without any kind of external input. All the cases of it are shaky at best.
2) They don't combust into nothing.

QUOTE (K^2 @ Tuesday, Feb 21 2012, 08:35)
QUOTE (oysterbarron @ Sunday, Feb 19 2012, 05:41)
Could there be other forms of life that have exactly the same process except they only surface every thousansd of years?

Setting aside the fact that they never existed in the first place, nothing as complex or large as a dragon can hibernate that long. Some spores might be able to survive millenia, but even eggs wouldn't last anywhere near that long. A living cell requires metabolism to maintain its integrity over long periods of time. Any kind of metabolism stacked over a thousand years would end up depleting any stored resources.

Thanks for explaining why there is no such thing as fire breathing dragons that can nap forever. Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:56 AM

Any one can say they never existed. how about we go down the route of thinking they did. can we research back to try and determin where abouts they could have roamed. if the stories about them were true. i like to dub it theoritical thought! do something semi constructive instead of being the 4th guy to tell us that they never existed!

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE (oysterbarron @ Tuesday, Feb 28 2012, 05:56)
Any one can say they never existed. how about we go down the route of thinking they did. can we research back to try and determin where abouts they could have roamed. if the stories about them were true. i like to dub it theoritical thought! do something semi constructive instead of being the 4th guy to tell us that they never existed!

You cannot do that. You are asking to assume dragons existed, and try to work out rationally something about them. This is impossible. Once you make a false assumption, your entire reasoning is wrong, because anything can be proven true given a false assumption. Therefore, the moment you say, assume they existed, rational thought goes out the window and you are just making stuff up.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:55 AM

QUOTE (K^2 @ Tuesday, Feb 28 2012, 11:25)

You cannot do that. You are asking to assume dragons existed, and try to work out rationally something about them. This is impossible. Once you make a false assumption, your entire reasoning is wrong, because anything can be proven true given a false assumption. Therefore, the moment you say, assume they existed, rational thought goes out the window and you are just making stuff up.

Well im taking it back to basics where the word dragon originated from what cultures mainly first started using the word dragon to describe a creature of somesort! through that you can get an idea of what continents the dragons had a possibility of roaming. some of the earliest descriptions of dragons are of a wingless sea fearing creature with some kind of magic eminating from its mouth!

Brad
  • Brad

Big Homie

• Zaibatsu

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE (oysterbarron @ Tuesday, Feb 28 2012, 10:55)

Well im taking it back to basics where the word dragon originated from what cultures mainly first started using the word dragon to describe a creature of somesort! through that you can get an idea of what continents the dragons had a possibility of roaming. some of the earliest descriptions of dragons are of a wingless sea fearing creature with some kind of magic eminating from its mouth!

There's also this description of this bloke in Jerusalem who could walk on water and cure diseases. On top of that, he even survived death.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE (Brad @ Tuesday, Feb 28 2012, 12:39)
QUOTE (oysterbarron @ Tuesday, Feb 28 2012, 10:55)

There's also this description of this bloke in Jerusalem who could walk on water and cure diseases. On top of that, he even survived death.

Next you'll be telling me he was the son of god or somesh*t!

Toup
  • Toup

Group: Cheesedicks

• Members

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:49 PM

You just proved your point wrong. End of discussion?

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:45 PM

Myths/storys often have a basis from real life! I personally think that unless someone can put proof forward that undoubtedly proves that there was never an animal, dragon like or not that was dubbed DRAGON in past days then im going to keep an open mind. A closed mind is very dangerous because you never know when a discovery will come along and change the way you look at the world! Even in this day and age, information that we believe to be concrete is being brought into doubt.

Cheat
  • Cheat

the only people for me are the mad ones

• The Connection

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:56 PM

I don't know if it's just an overdose of Skyrim blurring my brains, but I've always found dragons and speculation of whether they ever existed extremely fascinating.

As far as their possible existence today goes, I'm going with hell no, but the interesting part, to me, is where have the myths come from? A misinterpretation of some other animal or something else? Thousands, if not millions of billions of species have gone extinct in the last few milleniums - the recorded history. At least it's a funny thing to think of.

Rown
  • Rown

weltvolkzeit

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:36 PM

I finally went searching for the show this reminded me of.

This first one is just kind of a cultural look at dragons I think:

But this one is right up your alley, oysterbarron. (Even has Patrick Stewart narrating!):

Rown rampage_ani.gif

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:30 PM

QUOTE (oysterbarron)
Myths/storys often have a basis from real life!

yeah... that doesn't make them true.

im going to keep an open mind.

no one said you shouldn't keep an open mind.
that's fine.

but anyone who knows anything about biology, evolution, and the geologic history of our planet knows that the likelihood of finding "real" dragons (since they haven't been found yet) is EXTREMELY SMALL and basically never going to happen. there's keeping an open mind, and then there's acknowledging reality.

try to find a healthy balance.

Bernard Jazz
  • Bernard Jazz

Dud dats not gas, dats a chikn.

• Members

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:43 AM

There's always these guys.
We just have to genetically engineer them so they're big enough to ride.

TheTrikstar
  • TheTrikstar

Skank!

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:38 AM

Are we talking about Dragons who fly around castles and breath fire or reptiles such as a Comodo Dragon, Because they're real.

S2580
  • S2580

You ain't a big shot. You ain't even a medium shot.

• Members

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

Although i don't believe in dragons, until i see some evidence at least. It is interesting that there are so many cultures across the world that have myths about dragons, even though these cultures would not have been in contact with each other when these myths were created ph34r.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users