ATI and Intel don't work together?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic
Imperativity
  • Imperativity

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:40 PM

The 580 is more widely supported And if you're going with an intel processor you want an nvidia card I don't know why but if you have an amd card with intel it weakens the gpu and it works the other way too. And if you want to take advantage of the CPU and gpu I'd spend on the mobo too

Just got sent this from a friend, is this true? We were comparing GTX 580's to ATI 7950's.

I bought an ATI 7950 and an i5 2550k.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:56 PM

He's wrong on both counts.
With the ATI vs nVidia on Intel, that's just plain wrong. It makes no difference.
While yes it's true different mobos can have different benchmark gaming results from each other but then they are minimal. An AMD GPU might be able to take advantage of a mobo made with an AMD CPU in mind but again it would be basically minimal compared to putting a nVidia on the same board.

Imperativity
  • Imperativity

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:13 PM

Awesome, thanks a ton. I sincerely hope you're right. I think this guy thinks he knows more than he actually does.

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:57 PM

I totally agree with Wolf68k, there is no reason for intel+AMD setup working worse than Intel+nVidia.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

Considering the articles I read, Intel and nVidia have more of a problem with each other!!

Speaking about the companies, not how the products perform on the same platform BTW

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:09 AM

Ati and intel are my perfect match. ive always had trouble with nvidia cards and cpu's. personnaly i find intel and ati have better heat managment as well but thats only my view it maynot be technically correct. but the stability of the system is unmatched since i went with intel and ati

SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:59 AM

Intel + Nvidia FTW!!

That being said... ANYTHING + Intel at the moment is better than ANYTHING + AMD. In other words... Intel + ATI (AMD) > AMD + ATI (AMD) and Intel + NVIDIA > AMD + NVIDIA. No, I'm not being a fanboy, but Intel's Sandy Bridge and soon to be Ivy Bridge BY FAR outperform AMD in every aspect. Intel wins in ALL price ranges at the moment. http://www.tomshardw...rk,3120-10.html

ATI is okay I guess... It's good that NVIDIA has competition so that they can't price gouge, but ultimately I always turn towards NVIDIA, for better drivers, PhysX, etc. ... I guess maybe I am an NVIDIA fanboy, I honestly believe the last revolutionary GPU that ATI made was the 9700 PRO, back in 2002... Since then, they've just been playing catchup to NVIDIA, or doing slightly better for a little bit, but ultimately I think that NVIDIA gets the performance crown... The RADEON 9700 PRO was unmatched in it's day, but NVIDIA revolutionized gaming graphics performance with their 8 series...

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:14 AM Edited by Slamman, 19 February 2012 - 10:18 AM.

Well.... AMD via ATI is focusing more on their GPU expertise, and it seems nVidia is working to bring SLi to AMD boards as well as try and get a CPU GPU mix of tech as Intel is stepping up their own GPU efforts. Interesting things ahead, I'd say

According to one print article, ATI and not nVidia, were being lauded as the best GPU in the World! Not long ago, I mean the past year or so, can't recall which GPU precisely, but I can find the reference if you remain skeptic

OverTheBelow
  • OverTheBelow

OTB "Oaty-Bee"

• Zaibatsu

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Sunday, Feb 19 2012, 10:14)
Well.... AMD via ATI is focusing more on their GPU expertise, and it seems nVidia is working to bring SLi to AMD boards as well as try and get a CPU GPU mix of tech as Intel is stepping up their own GPU efforts. Interesting things ahead, I'd say

According to one print article, ATI and not nVidia, were being lauded as the best GPU in the World! Not long ago, I mean the past year or so, can't recall which GPU precisely, but I can find the reference if you remain skeptic

AMD's HD 7970 is the fastest GPU in the world at the moment, and before that the 5870 was the fastest for a while before Nvidia released Fermi months later.

Also, just so you know, the ATI brand was killed back in late 2010 and is no longer used as branding on any newer cards. It is simply AMD Radeon now.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:28 AM

Regardless of the branding, anything I've read still refers to ATI, and I did correct using AMD in it's place, but they are one in the same
As far as Fermi, I believe already there's a successor to that from nVidia? Those guys never sleep!!

SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:09 PM Edited by SyphonPayne, 20 February 2012 - 08:13 PM.

QUOTE (OverTheBelow @ Sunday, Feb 19 2012, 04:25)
AMD's HD 7970 is the fastest GPU in the world at the moment, and before that the 5870 was the fastest for a while before Nvidia released Fermi months later.

Not to be a fanboy or anything but before that the GTX 280 was the fastest, Radeon 3xxx series was a flop so 8800GTX/Ultra was fastest, etc... GTX 580 is faster than all Radeon 5xxx and 6xxx series (except the dual-gpu models.) ATI (I still call it ATI) has stepped up their game though in more recent years... I still prefer NVIDIA though...

All I know is I love my 560 Ti SLI setup biggrin.gif .

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:42 PM Edited by Stinky12, 20 February 2012 - 11:04 PM.

Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about. I use to run a Intel CPU with Nvidia GPU and it works great.
Now I run Intel CPU with AMD GPU, it works great too.
There are some who will get everything from the same brand just for some special feature, but most of the time it's useless.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:50 PM Edited by Slamman, 21 February 2012 - 07:55 PM.

As my nVidia link pointed out, they operate as a company without ties to others, whereas AMD and ATI are really one, and Intel is likely to face some Anti-Trust legalities down the road. I mentioned it looks like due to nVidia's response to inquiries, they'll try and support AMD owners as well as Intel boards, how far they get depends on the vendors perhaps, but the way I was reading the legal story, Intel wouldn't be pleased if nVidia offered a successful GPU CPU all in one solution that would shut them out in a market!?? haha

To add, PhysX is old, but now tied to nVidia card specs, but as I recall, not something nVidia can lay claim to, they just thought to include it
I was reading most recently about their 3DTV feature set for the ROG Asus laptops, it uses a capable HDMI 1.4 port to send any 3D HDTV a feed from the laptop, though the laptop's screen is a normal non 3D model LED

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:30 PM

@Slamman
Got your facts wrong in various places but I won't go there. Because none of it has anything to do with the topic at hand.
The topic isn't what AMD/ATI, nVidia, Intel are doing, going to do, have thought of doing.

The topic is simple: Does Intel CPUs work just as well AMD/ATI cards as they do with nVidia? The answer is yes and he friend knows so little of what he's talking about.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:53 PM Edited by Slamman, 21 February 2012 - 09:59 PM.

I relate what I read, it's just my interpretation of where nVidia might look to go, and as has been the case for years now, only a few companies have had success to take on and challenge dominant INTEL and APPLE as far as R and D that becomes notable tech advances. It requires having the engineering staffs of the respective companies that can pioneer some worthy goods our way.

I know what the original question is, but I'm going off that tact for a bit to discuss how the companies co-exist, and what's up with your terrible syntax? It's like you forgot proper English

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users