» «
Photo

Fourth Attempt: Need Help Installing

5 replies to this topic
jv0079
  • jv0079

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:59 PM Edited by jv0079, 16 February 2012 - 07:25 PM.

I've about had it with this horrid game. But anyway, for the fourth time, I've wiped it off my PC, and I want to install it fresh. I need advice on what to install (ie which updates, etc).

My Specs: (everything is stock, and unmodded.)
3.2 Ghz AMD Phenom II 955 Black Edition
12 GB DDR3 Ram
x2 500 GB 7200 RPM HDD
Nvidia Geforce 550 Ti 2GB
Windows 7 64-Bit Professional

All my drivers and bios settings are up to date to the best of my knowledge.
Need some help guys, I've contacted Rockstar twice over the course of 3 weeks, absolutely no response.

*Edit
The reason I'm doing this is because the game freezes after 4-5 minutes of gameplay. I always used patch 1.07, no mods, everything on either medium or high settings, clip capture turned off, but it always froze. It's not like it struggled to run, on maximum settings I was still getting about 50+ FPS

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:29 AM

Try using memrestrict. If that doesn't help, it's possible you have an overheating problem on that system, you'll want to do some temperature readings.

jv0079
  • jv0079

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:20 PM

I've tried Memrestrict, doesn't do a thing. I've monitored my CPU temp and my GPU temp. Both never got above 55 Celsius. I posted a video on youtube showing the issue. Plays fine, then locks up completely.

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

This could be a video driver related issue. I suggest you try rolling back to an older driver version and check how the game performs then.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:22 AM

OK, I haven't understood from the opening post the game completely freezes up, i.e. crashes.

Do you have many processes running in the background, like various applications that sit in the system tray?
Have you performed a defragementation of your HDD?
Have you performed a quick clean up of your system with a tool like ccleaner?
Have you performed an AV scan?
Also, try lowering the settings a bit and run the game again. 550 isn't really the best choice to play this game on too high settings.

cjc75
  • cjc75

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE (jv0079 @ Saturday, Feb 18 2012, 15:20)
I've tried Memrestrict, doesn't do a thing. I've monitored my CPU temp and my GPU temp. Both never got above 55 Celsius. I posted a video on youtube showing the issue. Plays fine, then locks up completely.

You definetely have a heating problem there man...

CPU doesn't go above 55c??

Its a Phenom II x4 955? I have that one myself, been using it for awhile in one of my other PC's along with a Phenom II x4 940...

On the Phenom II chips, the Bluescreen/Kill Temp is around 52 - 53 celsius... any higher then that,and those chips start having problems!

Depending on whether your 955 is the c3 version,. you might be able to squeeze a few more celsius out of it, but either way the general rule of thumb is to NEVER let a Phenom II go past 54c.

I would suggest checking your CPU fan and the heatsink it is mounted on. Go to the nearest convenience store and get a $5 can of compressed air, and use it to blow out the CPU heatsink!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users