Photo

What did GTA IV get right?

13 replies to this topic
PaddsterG2k3
  • PaddsterG2k3

The Bee's Knees

• Members

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:59 PM

I've done a search and can't seem to find something similar to this - so if there is a similar topic then feel free to merge it/lock this!

On topic: There are many, many topics on here slamming GTA IV and deriding it - I've criticised it myself most certainly. However, GTA IV laid the groundwork for GTAs (and RDR) to come and introducing so many subtle aspects that in some ways make the previous entries unplayable.

To you, whether you are pro-GTA IV or nor, what do you think GTA IV really got right? What are the best things about?

Cheddarhead7
  • Cheddarhead7

Lowrider

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:39 PM

Ragdoll physics! Easily my favourite part of this game! It just adds so much more fun to the game. How disapointing would it have been, to have all the same physics as San Andreas? Hitting people with a car and they just float into the air and fall over?

Linki
  • Linki

Neonic

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:15 PM

Everything, except those damn pigeons and non-existent checkpoints.

thatstupidbug
  • thatstupidbug

Peon

• Members

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:19 PM

Ragdoll physic
car damage system
Auto-aim
Cover system

if we count TBOGT, the cars/bikes physic is way better than GTA IV (but i still prefer the over-the top way of the III-era)

Nigel xD
  • Nigel xD

R! (Since '08)

• Members

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:49 PM

Car damage and car physics.

Man, I love driving in this game!

Linki
  • Linki

Neonic

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE (thatstupidbug @ Sunday, Feb 19 2012, 22:19)
Ragdoll physic
car damage system
Auto-aim
Cover system

if we count TBOGT, the cars/bikes physic is way better than GTA IV (but i still prefer the over-the top way of the III-era)

I hated how forgiving the driving was in TBOGT. In IV, I actually felt in control of the car.

Marwin Moody
  • Marwin Moody

u in da mood?

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:08 PM

Driving physics and denting, Euphoria physics engine, STORY!!!, car variety, details, and last but not least; graphics. fantastic looking game that looks better than many games TODAY wow.gif

Toppers
  • Toppers

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:22 PM

The driving. Loved it.

poker_nights
  • poker_nights

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

well i personally think they did alot of things right, but one major flaw in GTA IV is missions, 90% perccent of missions in GTA IV where the same thing but diffrent package: go to point A kill that guy, blow that sh*t up, leave the area (lose cops) and that gets a bit repetetive, only a very few missions were different, but the story is great, characthers were great, and new physics system was alot of fun, the cover system was great and im glad that they didnt force you to bild up your shooting,driving etcc skills. like in sa. god that was annoying, and other major flaw of IV was too big city but not enough contet for that sized city, radio stations were ok,could be better but ok, liked the lazlow comeback, and the GTA III refference with babys over night (GTA III pets over night), oh and driving was a bit weird in begining,but once you get used to is enyoable, oh and loved how the city felt alive,expecialy when vechiles slider put to 60 or more, while EFLC was much more fun and content filled, waiting fot GTA V, that could be a perfect gta, just hope they make a decent port for pc. p.s. sry for my bad english

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Goodfella

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:58 AM Edited by Miamivicecity, 27 February 2012 - 04:07 AM.

QUOTE (poker_nights @ Monday, Feb 27 2012, 06:33)
well i personally think they did alot of things right, but one major flaw in GTA IV is missions, 90% perccent of missions in GTA IV where the same thing but diffrent package: go to point A kill that guy, blow  that sh*t up, leave the area (lose cops) and that gets a bit repetetive

I don't think it's a flaw. If anything GTA IV's missions made perfect sense for the story.

In GTA IV Niko is a hitman which is why most of the missions revolve around killing. It's simple as that really. I still find the missions to be quite a blast and no where near as repetitive as what some say.

poker_nights
  • poker_nights

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Monday, Feb 27 2012, 03:58)
QUOTE (poker_nights @ Monday, Feb 27 2012, 06:33)
well i personally think they did alot of things right, but one major flaw in GTA IV is missions, 90% perccent of missions in GTA IV where the same thing but diffrent package: go to point A kill that guy, blow  that sh*t up, leave the area (lose cops) and that gets a bit repetetive

I don't think it's a flaw. If anything GTA IV's missions made perfect sense for the story.

In GTA IV Niko is a hitman which is why most of the missions revolve around killing. It's simple as that really. I still find the missions to be quite a blast and no where near as repetitive as what some say.

i don't know for me they were even got a little repetive even at first time play. well sh*t pink afro, cowboy hat, and boots aren't very gangsta, but you could still do it in SA. i wish missions were more fun and different like in BOGT and TLAD.

Hydro_PlayboyX
  • Hydro_PlayboyX

#TeamFranklin

• Members

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:00 PM

physics and cover system

synchro_w
  • synchro_w

LOSE THE PIGS!

• Members

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:59 PM Edited by synchro_w, 08 March 2012 - 05:08 PM.

i enjoyed the missions [especially '3 leaf clover'.. so much like the film HEAT], the cover system great, storyline was great, driving was enjoyable, the ability to swap weapons in vehicle from grenades, to pistol to smg, nice touch. made the game much more tactical from within a car!! really made the game, that little touch... cook a grenade for several secs then drop it and watch as the cop cars go boom!! soooo good!

altho the driving made up for much of this, my big flaw was i wanted to go into a lot of the houses. all these huge buildings and i couldn't get into many of them.

also, being an rpg freak, i like to feel my character is improving along with the story, having just arrived in a totally new and culturally different world than the one he is from, his culture would put him at a disadvantage which he would get used to eventually.. which did work well in game but i wanted niko to be able to use stealth to sneak up behind guards etc. having the options of getting a mission done wo having cops on my tail. doing a mission then blending in with the crowd [obv if it's the right kinda mission]. in other words, i like the idea of my avatar building up his stats etc as he becomes aware of this new world and improves his abilities to suit the problems he's facing. one of the reasons i really rate GTASA.
in GTASA i loved the way if you did 12 firetruck missions u got invulnerability to fire and the cop missions gave you double armour, and ambulance missions gave you extra health. i mean, why not? this is a game, remember? i don't like the idea that the game is becoming TOO realistic.

niko hotwiring a car and the player L/R triggering to speed up his hotwiring was great idea.

i loved 90s manga because you could tell it was animation but so much modern manga is becoming almost too realistic looking. photorealistic. i don't like that. and the same goes for games; the more photorealistic you make a game look, the less of a game it feels like you are playing.

i have to say that in LA noire there were good reasons for the photorealism. playing a cop u needed to see the reactions on suspects' faces and judge that reaction to give you an insight into what to ask next. in that case it was different.
but in GTA games that's not necessary. it's about fun, car chases, the filth and corruption of a modern city, the manipulation of the government over the masses and, there, somewhere, watching for any angle to take, is my gta character, knowing the risks, knowing he may die but, wtf, he's gonna risk it cos what else are his options? sleeping in the park? eating out of trashcans?

so, the grfx in GTAIV? great. you don't need to take them further. putting dogs and kids in game? i dunno... maybe during the hours 9am-12am then 4pm-5pm so the psycho players don't get much chance of running over little kids just for fun? cats and dogs in game could be good. i dont believe the main character would have much time for kids anyway[think -'leon' the movie... a top assassin with a kid hanging on his tail.. not good]. they're a moral obstacle and, in the big city, most parents are well aware of the freaks and weirdos that wander around so you're just not likely to notice kids, being constantly aware that you could get backstabbed by russian mafia at any moment!!
if this game was set in london, circa 1888, then i have no doubt the streets would be crawling with halfstarved urchins [there's an idea, GHA - Grand Horse Auto.. hee hee] but in the 21st century, for anyone who has had kids, they are all too aware that in the city it's a very dangerous place for children.

another thing i would love to see in GTAV would be the option to customise not just your avatar but his weapons. or a 'customise' shop? ok, nothing too grand... just a silencer for an SMG or pistol, double clip and/or over and under grenade launcher for carbine assault rifle, silencer for any weapon really. speed holster? HE bullets? AP bullets?
i like the idea of being able to upgrade my character, make him stronger, learn new melee moves etc.

thnx

cc1990
  • cc1990

Serial killers are the true environmentalists. :)

• Members

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:41 PM

Liberty City itself is just amazing. The size, the details, the overall real life feel of it is just epic. I also loved the way the cars handle, I can't drive in real life so I guess it was kinda cool to have that realistic feel to the driving, a little taste of what I'll never get in real life. lmao I was disappointed with traffic, like if you sit there too long people get pissy and hit you. lol They need to f*cking wait like everybody else. xD I wanted more of a night life since it's based of of NYC but hopefully they'll make sh*t better with GTA 5.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users