Photo

Returning Gangs

534 replies to this topic
SGT. Johnson
  • SGT. Johnson

"To Obey and Survive"

• Members

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:32 PM

I do not think this topic has been discussed thoroughly enough as users still have misconceptions on whether they are or are not returning. Most of us are so sure that they can "bet" on them returning, while others are using rational thinking and using the logic presented in the "universe theory" presented by none other than the creators of the game, Rockstar!

So, since this is becoming quite the debate (as much as the SF/LV debate), I'll leave it up to the members.

WILL THE GROVE STREET FAMILIES/BALLAS GANGS RETURN IN GTA V?

jiggstar
  • jiggstar

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

probably in a dlc, or atleast similar to that in a dlc

skillz7855
  • skillz7855

Soldier

• Members

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

Its possible but there probably be all cliques now and probably more Vagos,Aztecas,and other hispanic gangs

RockStarNiko
  • RockStarNiko

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

I don't know much about the "different universe" theory

Will CJ be in the game? He is Grove St, so if they gonna go down path of having the protagonists from previous games such as CJ, Tommy, Claude etc then its possible both Grove St and Ballas gangs will feature even if only an internet article or radio broadcast

If the game is all new characters and new universe from previous games, then ballas/grove st wont be in at all I dont think

SGT. Johnson
  • SGT. Johnson

"To Obey and Survive"

• Members

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE (jiggstar @ Wednesday, Feb 15 2012, 16:37)
probably in a dlc, or atleast similar to that in a dlc

OK, but not what I was looking for. I want to see how many other people think that the Grove Street Families AND the Ballas will return in GTA V, the main game, not the DLC.

Sanjeem
  • Sanjeem

• Members

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:41 PM

Couldn't you have put this in the Gang topic, it really does make the forums more organized icon14.gif

Trideez
  • Trideez

GTAForums OG

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:42 PM Edited by Trideez, 15 February 2012 - 04:50 PM.

My answer of course is YES, the FAMILIES and BALLAS (R*'s version of the Bloods and Crips) WILL be in the game. I'm not saying any one one individual (such as CJ or Sweet) will defniitely be returning, But the gangs themselves WILL. Anyone who knows about the gangs in LA know that Rockstar put a HUGE amount of RESEARCH into the Bloods and Crips while creating the Families and Ballas. They did a tremendous amount of research and then mixed and matched characteristics from both gangs and created their own representations of the 2. In other words, the Families and Ballas are VERY WELL THOUGHT OUT. The Bloods and Crips have been in Los Angeles since the 70's and they continue on to this day. So why would the Families and Ballas be any different??? The Families and Ballas have been around Los Santos since the 70's and they continue on to this day. They are part of Los Santos culture just like B's and C's are part of LA culture, you can't write them out.

As surely as there is going to be R*'s version of SOUTH CENTRAL and COMPTON and INGLEWOOD and WATTS, that's how guaranteed it is that there's going to be the gangs that dominate those areas, and in Rockstar's UNIVERSE those gangs are the Families and Ballas.

Also Johnson, you do know that the "Families" and the "Grove Street Families" are not the same thing right?

And to the guy who said "its possible both Grove St and Ballas gangs will feature even if only an internet article or radio broadcast", you've got to be joking right??? If you want to find them, don't check the net, drive down to Ganton, you'll see them all over the place.

SGT. Johnson
  • SGT. Johnson

"To Obey and Survive"

• Members

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE (RockStarNiko @ Wednesday, Feb 15 2012, 16:38)

Will CJ be in the game? He is Grove St, so if they gonna go down path of having the protagonists from previous games such as CJ, Tommy, Claude etc then its possible both Grove St and Ballas gangs will feature even if only an internet article or radio broadcast

If the game is all new characters and new universe from previous games, then ballas/grove st wont be in at all I dont think

The different universe theory was given by Rockstar themselves:

SammiiDoogles
There are many references to GTAIII characters and brands (El Burro graffiti in LC for example) in GTAIV, but do any characters (other than Lazlow) actually exist within both 'universes'? Is that where Donald Love went? Did he hop dimensions into the GTAIV universe?! Plot twist!! Are the two universes completely separate? I understand it'd make almost no sense having two Liberty City's but is there any way we'll see characters from GTAIII return? GTAIV has some amazing characters, but some of the characters in the III era are just unforgettable.

Rockstar says:
El Burro is referenced as he was also referenced in GTA 1, so it felt appropriate that he should cross “universes” – the “universes” are the worlds interpreted at different definitions, 2d, 3d and high definition, so we felt brands and radio / back ground characters would exist in both, but 3 dimensional characters would not. This is the logic (as far as it could be considered logical) behind it – so no, we don’t believe any GTA3 characters could exist in the GTA4 universe.

THIS IS THE UNIVERSE THEORY!

RockStarNiko
  • RockStarNiko

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:44 PM

I would like to encounter an old ex ballas member (kind of like Emmet from SA)

He reminisces about the old days and mentions Grove St vs Ballas war and how he nearly got killed during some mission involving CJ

Maybe he was a Ballas member who ran off during one of many turf wars biggrin.gif

Sanjeem
  • Sanjeem

• Members

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:46 PM

Listen, The gangs in GTA V that are or if they do appear are based on the real life Blood and Crips, probably will not be the same as in SA, R* will probably pick a new name. A lot of gangs in LA have been around since the 70's, doesn't mean they are necessarily going to be included, however this is LS, street gangs definitely cause the terror there. However I would like to see more Hispanic street gangs as they are very, very predominant and some Latin, preferably Mexican drug cartels.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:46 PM

in some form - yeah - like the Spanish lords in IV. Not in a major way like SA. And they won't be called Grove Street, or Ballas.

The games in LA so street gangs will return in some form, but people like Trideez are being TOO confident imo. Don't expect too much yet - or do, i really don't care - or you may be disappointed. Isn't it better to go "Wow they are ! COOL" then "Damn i was so sure... sad.gif "

But off topic - there's been lots of topics about this, why not post in one of those. Cloning topics is considered spam.

Also anyone here who sees a topic that "doesnt belong" Click REPORT POST, and type in why the topic needs a lock, and DONT reply. If it already exists, post a reply politely saying it exists and LINK the OP to it in that post and leave it at that.

SGT. Johnson
  • SGT. Johnson

"To Obey and Survive"

• Members

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE (SGT. Johnson @ Wednesday, Feb 15 2012, 16:44)
QUOTE (RockStarNiko @ Wednesday, Feb 15 2012, 16:38)

The different universe theory was given by Rockstar themselves:

SammiiDoogles
There are many references to GTAIII characters and brands (El Burro graffiti in LC for example) in GTAIV, but do any characters (other than Lazlow) actually exist within both 'universes'? Is that where Donald Love went? Did he hop dimensions into the GTAIV universe?! Plot twist!! Are the two universes completely separate? I understand it'd make almost no sense having two Liberty City's but is there any way we'll see characters from GTAIII return? GTAIV has some amazing characters, but some of the characters in the III era are just unforgettable.

Rockstar says:
El Burro is referenced as he was also referenced in GTA 1, so it felt appropriate that he should cross “universes” – the “universes” are the worlds interpreted at different definitions, 2d, 3d and high definition, so we felt brands and radio / back ground characters would exist in both, but 3 dimensional characters would not. This is the logic (as far as it could be considered logical) behind it – so no, we don’t believe any GTA3 characters could exist in the GTA4 universe.

THIS IS THE UNIVERSE THEORY!

I quote myself in rebuttle to the idea of their being THE GSF and BALLAS returning in GTA V. The gangs were mostly considered "background characters"; therefore, it is highly unlikely we will SEE THE ORIGINAL AND THE NAMES!

There will be Ballas and GSF in the game BUT they will have different names and appearances.

RockStarNiko
  • RockStarNiko

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

GTA V is going to be more like GTA IV in terms of the map layout, so it will have road names

Will Ganton be one of the neighborhoods? Will Grove Street be one of the road names? hmm

I suspect Vinewood Boulevard will be in the game almost certainly right? and Vinewood neighborhood too

Interesting to speculate on which other neighborhoods will be in Idlewood? Willowfield? Jefferson? Glen Park?

Fascinating biggrin.gif

SGT. Johnson
  • SGT. Johnson

"To Obey and Survive"

• Members

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE (RockStarNiko @ Wednesday, Feb 15 2012, 16:53)
GTA V is going to be more like GTA IV in terms of the map layout, so it will have road names

Will Ganton be one of the neighborhoods? Will Grove Street be one of the road names? hmm

I suspect Vinewood Boulevard will be in the game almost certainly right? and Vinewood neighborhood too

Interesting to speculate on which other neighborhoods will be in Idlewood? Willowfield? Jefferson? Glen Park?

Fascinating biggrin.gif

Well, it's starting to become somewhat as big a debate amongst members (mostly me and Trideez). We've actually made a bet on it.

I created this topic because WE (me and Trideez) may think we know everything but members would know more, if anyone, than us.

icetea256
  • icetea256

Punk-ass Bitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:12 PM

LOS SANTOS WITHOUT GANGS IS NOT LOS SANTOS

Trideez
  • Trideez

GTAForums OG

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:13 PM Edited by Trideez, 15 February 2012 - 05:23 PM.

I'm expecting to see many sets of Families and Ballas. I think the GSF will return, as well as the TDF, and SBF...but there will probably be a whole lot more like the RTF, BPF, BHF, DLF, CMF, QSF, FTF, et cetera. The KTB, FHB and RHB will probably return as well as more Ballas like the ETB, ADB, ECB, RSB, SGB, and the KPB. Go to google maps and look up images for Crip and Blood terrirtories in LA and you'll see just how South Central, Compton, Watts, Inglewood and other places are divided up by these "sets" of Bloods and Crips.

Also to quote from that R* statement about the Universes...and this is the key point I think people like SGT JOHNSON are missing..."we felt brands and radio / back ground characters would exist in both". I argue that the Families and Ballas can be considered both a "brand" and/or "background characters".

Hydro_PlayboyX
  • Hydro_PlayboyX

#TeamFranklin

• Members

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:59 PM

no, its been discussed million times, get over it

lol232
  • lol232

The Hardwood Butcher

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:10 PM

icon14.gif Above.
There will be no Gangs like that, there will be gangs Based off Crips&Bloods, but IV Era didn't have same gangs as III Era,
and same will be in V, get over it, mate!
No Carl (CJ), No Sweet, No Kendl, No Ceasar, no sh*t from III Era.

GarrowsKai
  • GarrowsKai

I don't even like Dubstep

• Members

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE (RockStarNiko @ Wednesday, Feb 15 2012, 16:53)

Fascinating biggrin.gif

With the road names, in IV R* had them all be related in some way. A group of streets all have names of famous prisons (sing sing, Alcatraz etc.) Another was minerals (Jade, Topaz) I'm sure one group was Native American Tribes, so on and so forth. So I reckon the streets in LS will follow a similar naming strategy, therefore I personally don't see how likely it'll be that Grove Street will return, unless they have a number of other streets based around fruit growing like Orchard or something. Vinewood Boulevard should deffo make a return though, as we already know Vinewood itself is returning (Hollywood and Hollywood Blvd obviously), and I imagine Ganton could return as the districts don't have to have a correlation with each other but their real life counterparts.

Getting back OT, gangs should definitely feature as gang violence is still a problem in parts of LA, but they will be different from SA as V is set 20 years later. Just as in real life the gangs would change dramatically in those two decades with things like crime prevention, education and immigration changing the landscape of the poorer areas of the city.

SGT. Johnson
  • SGT. Johnson

"To Obey and Survive"

• Members

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:39 PM

Let me make a clarification:

WILL THE GROVE STREET FAMILIES SETS AND BALLAS BE REAPPEARING IN GTA V?

I'm not looking to see if they will return EXACTLY AS THEY WERE in San Andreas; all I'm asking is will they most likely return with the same NAME and CLOTHING?

Or will R* go with the more realistic version:

Dump the old gangs in exchange for newer gangs that resemble more closely the Bloods and Crips. I'm not ignorant. I know that the Bloods and Crips will make an appearance; the question is however, will two of the gangs that return be the GSF and the BALLAS?

GarrowsKai
  • GarrowsKai

I don't even like Dubstep

• Members

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:43 PM

I don't think they will be GSF and Ballas, but maybe they will keep the colours of Green and Purple (colours are an integral part of gang 'culture'). I think this because they probably don't want to use Blue and Red especially as they are the actually colours associated with the Crips and Bloods respectively and Green and Purple are pretty good choices as they are bright and instantly noticeable.

SGT. Johnson
  • SGT. Johnson

"To Obey and Survive"

• Members

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE (GarrowsKai @ Wednesday, Feb 15 2012, 18:43)
I don't think they will be GSF and Ballas, but maybe they will keep the colours of Green and Purple (colours are an integral part of gang 'culture'). I think this because they probably don't want to use Blue and Red especially as they are the actually colours associated with the Crips and Bloods respectively and Green and Purple are pretty good choices as they are bright and instantly noticeable.

True, but then that would mean they would return with the Ballas and GSF from SA if they used the same colors.

PaddsterG2k3
  • PaddsterG2k3

The Bee's Knees

• Members

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:46 PM

To the OP: Grove Street was a set of the Families gang which, as the CJ, we happened to a member of. Its the Families gang vs. the Ballas gang, not the Grove Street Families vs. the Kilo Tray Ballas, for instance.

Back on topic - it'll be very interesting to see how Rockstar does this. For one, its Los Angeles and therefore HAS to have a version of South Central complete with gang equivalents of the Crips and Bloods - its almost 99% that they will do this.

Now, some theorize that the reason Rockstar went for the Green vs. Purple instead of Blue vs. Red was to not attrach attention or glamorize the Crips and the Bloods so to speak. Now that we are back in Los Santos, it will be interesting to see whether Rockstar follows this approach and reuses those gang colours but with different gang names as I cannot see them calling them Families or Ballas again. Alternatively they could simply reuse the gang colours and names (although that raises "era" issues) or whether they simply come up with new equivalent gangs, wearing say black bandanas and white bandanas.

Either way, we should expect to see gang infested South Central (South Middle?) rife with crime - hopefully this time the gangs will be a lot in your face than the Project areas of IV's Liberty. I want the ghetto to feel dangerous to the player this time.

SGT. Johnson
  • SGT. Johnson

"To Obey and Survive"

• Members

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (PaddsterG2k3 @ Wednesday, Feb 15 2012, 18:46)
To the OP: Grove Street was a set of the Families gang which, as the CJ, we happened to a member of. Its the Families gang vs. the Ballas gang, not the Grove Street Families vs. the Kilo Tray Ballas, for instance.

Back on topic - it'll be very interesting to see how Rockstar does this. For one, its Los Angeles and therefore HAS to have a version of South Central complete with gang equivalents of the Crips and Bloods - its almost 99% that they will do this.

Now, some theorize that the reason Rockstar went for the Green vs. Purple instead of Blue vs. Red was to not attrach attention or glamorize the Crips and the Bloods so to speak. Now that we are back in Los Santos, it will be interesting to see whether Rockstar follows this approach and reuses those gang colours but with different gang names as I cannot see them calling them Families or Ballas again. Alternatively they could simply reuse the gang colours and names (although that raises "era" issues) or whether they simply come up with new equivalent gangs, wearing say black bandanas and white bandanas.

Either way, we should expect to see gang infested South Central (South Middle?) rife with crime - hopefully this time the gangs will be a lot in your face than the Project areas of IV's Liberty. I want the ghetto to feel dangerous to the player this time.

The reason I ask (and call it what you may), me and Trideez made a bet on whether or not the Families and the Ballas would return in FIVE.

I'm just trying to see what others think since Trideez is fully FOR and I'm fully AGAINST. Interesting debate.

Chillzz01
  • Chillzz01

Prankster

• Members

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

I want the grove st families to return but since we are in a new gta era i don't think its going to happen. =(

ak47andgunnin
  • ak47andgunnin

Trick

• Members

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:41 PM

im pretty sure theyre going to be in the game. but the story is going to be different from GTA SA. so the gangs wont play a big part in GTA V. id like to play as a gangster in the game though. its more interesting for me.

EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:52 PM

I think they'll be back in a smaller capacity, and maybe play a bigger role in dlc. Rockstar already went down the gangsta path with sa so I don't see them being a huge part of the main storyline. Some people on this forum are violently against pretty much anything from sa appearing in V, there are some really fanatical universe theory people running around here

dsmooth16
  • dsmooth16

Vagos MC

• Members

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:44 PM

Wasnt the latin kings in Gta IV wearing yellow?
If so i dnt see why they just cant use the real colors.
And no grove st and ballas won't return,it'll be a new gang cool.gif name something different

The Made Man
  • The Made Man

Frank Matthews...The Guy that won...

• Members

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:50 AM

I see the Angels of Death returning more then any other gang. Since they were said to be a really big biker gang in tlad and said to originate from Cali, just like the hells angels...

We should be betting on them! Also it could be possible that we kill Lester arnold(international president of the aod).

I'm betting the aod to return and not gsf or ballas.

C2H5OH
  • C2H5OH

Mark Chump

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:52 AM Edited by Xcommunicated, 16 February 2012 - 01:20 AM.

You people make me sick.
-pic removed-

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users