Photo

Liberty City's Water - TOXIC?

26 replies to this topic
bugoy
  • bugoy

Not interested in GTA anymore, sorry.

• Members

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:10 AM

In Vice City, Tommy can't swim, but Vic Vance can. Some peds can, some can't, and cops can.

In San Andreas, CJ and the Families can swim. Some peds can, some can't, and cops also can't.

In Liberty City, NOBODY (Claude, Toni, peds, cops) can swim.

Any questions?

buzbegone
  • buzbegone

• Members

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:28 AM

It's just a gameplay element, nothing more.

bugoy
  • bugoy

• Members

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:08 AM

Stop breaking the fourth wall, man. Like, you wouldn't say that GTA III had no motorcycles because R* can't program them in, but because they were banned from the city in 2001.

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Harwood Butcher

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:50 AM Edited by Miamivicecity, 15 February 2012 - 09:52 AM.

Who the hell would want to swim in LC's dirty and sh*tty water anyway?

Maybe no one in LC knows how to swim or they couldn't afford swimming lessons when they were kids.

buzbegone
  • buzbegone

• Members

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:38 AM Edited by buzbegone, 15 February 2012 - 10:43 AM.

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Wednesday, Feb 15 2012, 17:50)
Maybe no one in LC knows how to swim or they couldn't afford swimming lessons when they were kids.

Ah ha, but Claude used to live in San Andreas. Who knows where he could've lived before that.

QUOTE (bugoy @ Wednesday, Feb 15 2012, 15:08)
Like, you wouldn't say that GTA III had no motorcycles because R* can't program them in, but because they were banned from the city in 2001.

Rockstar would've been grilled had they not reintroduced bikes in LCS, especially when they had the technology or rather vision. So they invented an excuse for their absence in GTAIII. Bikes were a rather large part of the game up to LCS and would leave the average player wondering 'Where'd they go in III?' So, fair call to reintroduce bikes.
Swimming is just a gameplay element that is accepted in GTA pre-SA to not have existed. Why they didn't reimplement swiming into LCS, continuity perhaps?

Really, stop coming up with dumb excuses. I mean, toxic water? It's people like you that still believe that Bigfoot exists in SA.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:33 AM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Wednesday, Feb 15 2012, 20:50)

Obviously this is the reason for not being able to swim.

buzbegone how about YOU try doing things never ever done in the gaming world before, and let's just see how you go, given the time and technology constraints that existed.

super_slav
  • super_slav

Fo Shizzle

• Members

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:48 PM

Simple answer

http://www.rockstarg...001/story5.html

buzbegone
  • buzbegone

• Members

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Thursday, Feb 16 2012, 16:33)
buzbegone how about YOU try doing things never ever done in the gaming world before, and let's just see how you go, given the time and technology constraints that existed.

What the f*ck are you on about?

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE (dro0001 @ Thursday, Feb 16 2012, 15:48)
Simple answer

http://www.rockstarg...001/story5.html

How the f*ck do you die by submerging in oil?

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:24 AM

QUOTE (buzbegone @ Friday, Feb 17 2012, 01:04)
QUOTE (finn4life @ Thursday, Feb 16 2012, 16:33)

What the f*ck are you on about?

You were bitching about lack of features so I asked you to try making a game yourself...gee confusing sentence huh?

bugoy
  • bugoy

• Members

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:56 AM

I'm asking the question as if LC were a real place. Anyone who spouts gibberish about coding and gameplay features in this topic are not welcome.

LoveMediaExecutive
  • LoveMediaExecutive

Love Media's Personal Money Launderer

• Members

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:28 AM Edited by LoveMediaExecutive, 17 February 2012 - 03:32 AM.

I remember an interview in either a Playstation or Electronic Gaming Monthly shortly around the time Vice City came out one of the Housers addressing the whole swimming issue, he said the reason there wasn't swimming in III or Vice City was "gangsters don't f-ing swim" and he found the issue somewhat incredulous compared to most requests for Vice City, swimming has only been added in games where it makes sense for the character to swim. In another magazine I believe it was mentioned that Carl swims because his mother use to take him and his brother to the shore every now and then, Vic was in the military so it makes sense he would swim, and Niko obviously would be able to swim as he was in the Balkan Special Forces and mentions he had to swim for his life before.

Sidenote: It's worth noting that the waters surrounding Liberty City are based on the Hudson River which is considered toxic due to sewage pollution.

buzbegone
  • buzbegone

• Members

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:20 AM

QUOTE (bugoy @ Friday, Feb 17 2012, 10:56)
I'm asking the question as if LC were a real place.

Well, it isn't a real place. Go back to living now.

This notion of people not being able swim due to 'gangster' backgrounds is rather silly. Swimming is a fun mechanic that really doesn't need any backstory to the character.

bugoy
  • bugoy

• Members

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:42 AM

So that's the problem. You look at the characters as if they were just a bunch of polygons and textures. I look at them and see human beings with their own motives and personalities. You look at Liberty City and see a few megabytes of file space. I see a living, breathing city that could pass as a real place (albeit a very violent one). Yet I still have a life of my own, fully separate from the one I live as a mute asshole, an ex-convict, a black gangster, a Mafia made man, an army soldier or an East European immigrant.

buzbegone
  • buzbegone

• Members

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE (bugoy @ Friday, Feb 17 2012, 12:42)
So that's the problem. You look at the characters as if they were just a bunch of polygons and textures. I look at them and see human beings with their own motives and personalities. You look at Liberty City and see a few megabytes of file space. I see a living, breathing city that could pass as a real place (albeit a very violent one). Yet I still have a life of my own, fully separate from the one I live as a mute asshole, an ex-convict, a black gangster, a Mafia made man, an army soldier or an East European immigrant.

Holy f*cking mother of Jesus... look outside, step through the front door, take a breath of fresh air for christ's sake.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:43 AM

QUOTE (buzbegone @ Friday, Feb 17 2012, 21:04)

Holy f*cking mother of Jesus... look outside, step through the front door, take a breath of fresh air for christ's sake.

Hows it up there on your high horse ruining fun and imagination for others?
There is absolutely nothing wrong with allowing yourself to become immersed in a game, and get a feel for it, and the characters, you enjoy it more, real life doesn't apply to the game.

So buzbegone, how about you do what your name suggests, since all you are is an annoying troll that lacks imagination, and quite possibly intelligence.

GTAIndonesia
  • GTAIndonesia

Gone

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:40 AM

They could'nt programm it, simple.

buzbegone
  • buzbegone

• Members

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:32 AM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Sunday, Feb 19 2012, 15:43)
QUOTE (buzbegone @ Friday, Feb 17 2012, 21:04)

Hows it up there on your high horse ruining fun and imagination for others?
There is absolutely nothing wrong with allowing yourself to become immersed in a game, and get a feel for it, and the characters, you enjoy it more, real life doesn't apply to the game.

So buzbegone, how about you do what your name suggests, since all you are is an annoying troll that lacks imagination, and quite possibly intelligence.

Imagination? The sh*t this guy is pumping out is pretty much on par with the GTA V rumours. You're both arguing for the sake of arguing.
It's a stupid, unproven theory conjured up by some random guy who has too much free time and you're defending him. Come to your senses already...

bugoy
  • bugoy

• Members

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:49 PM

buzbegone, your lack of imagination disturbs me.

And since I asked the question in the first place, I would accept the "oil spill" or "never learned to swim" theory. I would reject yours.

Joaoseinha
  • Joaoseinha

Perhaps here... Things will be different.

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:06 PM

@buzbegone
It's people like you who keep bitching OMGZOR GTA IV IS NO FUNZOR AFTER MISSIONS,PUT EPIC MEGA MISSILE TO DESTROY CITY AND GO VICECITY MET TOMMY COOL YEY YEY.
Seriously,if you can't put a barrier between real life and a game,you really need to meet a medic or something.
I do not find it weird to get immersed into a videogame,because I know that is simply not true,but it makes the game more amusing.
Now,don't bother replying,you'll just be spamming a topic with useless arguing(you've done it already,but whatever.)

Hmm,in bomb tha base we do blow up a ship with drugs and sh*t,which fully sinks.
Claude IS able to swim,in the race in SA,I pushed his car into the water and he didn't drown.
Besides,Portland is pretty industrial,it probably spills oil into the sea.
Also,in LCS,the ferry is broken,perhaps it spoiled something to the sea?

Many factors in here,and the fact that I've thrown and blew cars on the water tons of times.

Nem_Wan
  • Nem_Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

The flip side of made-up excuses for why no swimming is made-up excuses for getting a high wanted level for swimming to an island that isn't unlocked yet.

buzbegone
  • buzbegone

• Members

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:38 PM

QUOTE (GTASAIDEAMASTER @ Sunday, Feb 19 2012, 23:06)
@buzbegone
It's people like you who keep bitching OMGZOR GTA IV IS NO FUNZOR AFTER MISSIONS,PUT EPIC MEGA MISSILE TO DESTROY CITY AND GO VICECITY MET TOMMY COOL YEY YEY.
Seriously,if you can't put a barrier between real life and a game,you really need to meet a medic or something.
I do not find it weird to get immersed into a videogame,because I know that is simply not true,but it makes the game more amusing.
Now,don't bother replying,you'll just be spamming a topic with useless arguing(you've done it already,but whatever.)

Of course I'm going to reply when you're putting words in my mouth. So by your logic, if you want fun game mechanics added in without a deep storyline attached to it, GTA IV is no fun after the storyline?
It's the OP who sounds like he can't separate his life and the virtual world, not me. This topic is again, just someone's bullsh*t theory which has more holes than a tea pot strainer.

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Monday, Feb 20 2012, 01:47)
The flip side of made-up excuses for why no swimming is made-up excuses for getting a high wanted level for swimming to an island that isn't unlocked yet.

I really like how they carried it out in VCS with the tide pulling you away from the island.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:27 AM Edited by universetwisters, 20 February 2012 - 03:31 AM.

accidental double post. damn internet

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:30 AM

holy sh*t guys, have an imagination dozingoff.gif

i remember in gta 3/lcs, there was some kind of thermometer in bedford point stating the temperature. it was really low. plus, with it being autumn, why would you swim in cold weather, in cold freezing water? and even if you would swim, you wouldnt get very far before hypothermia sets in

For tommy, i remember in the instruction manual, it mentions something about frequent shark attacks. maybe tommy gets eaten by sharks who are police enough to not rip his body to shreds

GANGSTA26-VERCETTI
  • GANGSTA26-VERCETTI

Trick

• Members

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:02 AM

The reason why it's unavailable is because this feature was unavailable in gta III and vice. Each game had an implemented idea on why one couldn't swim; if you payed close enough attention to the details. Sharks in vice city, and III looked like sh*t, the weather was balls, and claude just could not bear the idea of getting his mute-as neck wet.

bugoy
  • bugoy

• Members

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:53 AM

Thank you for your input, guys! ^_^

"if you want fun game mechanics added in without a deep storyline attached to it, GTA IV is no fun after the storyline?"

- No. That means the player is left to continue Niko's story afterwards, any way he wants to.

Nukey Shay
  • Nukey Shay

Trick

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:56 AM

Just for the record...
The character is able to stand UNDER the water without losing health...only the surface of the water is lethal.

Neither the "toxic" or "never learned" theories are able to account for that...not even if he is somehow related to Aquaman.

It's a gameplay element - the sole purpose was to confine the player to specific areas within the game. It does not need to make narrative sense...the same way that the police did NOT implant a GPS tracker inside CJ's head in order to issue a wanted level for leaving his areas.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users