Photo

Street Parking Mod

5 replies to this topic
LCbuffalo
  • LCbuffalo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:46 PM

One thing that has always bothered me was that the streets in Liberty City weren't as packed with parked cars as they would be in real life. I did a test run with some of the stream wpl files inside the game map's img files (in this specific instance, brook_n_stream2.wpl inside of brook_n.img), and this is the result I came up with after a couple of additions:

user posted image

I want to emphasize that those cars were not manually spawned! I simply drove from the safehouse in Hove Beach to downtown Broker and the cars were all there. biggrin.gif Also, I have a modified popcycle.dat file with higher values in the "parked cars" section in order to ensure that all parking spots get filled.

This has the potential to become a great map modification to add realism. Don't know how the added parked cars would impact game performance, so that would need to be explored. Also, it would take quite a while to create, since there are tons of streets in the city. Might finish it just in time for the release of GTA V!

NaidRaida
  • NaidRaida

Inactive user

• Members

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:20 PM

Nice idea. That would probably increase realizm and makes the city looking more vivid.
Iīm afraid about the performance because imagine that all those parked cars are custom car models whith large filesize. That could be a dramatic performance impact besides the normal traffic.
Consider that people already have performance issues with normal traffic just because their vehicle files are eating all the VRAM.

What do you think about moving this to IV Vehicles subforum? I think itīs the more appropriate section.

LCbuffalo
  • LCbuffalo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:42 PM

Added a couple of streets in Algonquin; the result looks very nice:

user posted image

In my opinion, it looks so much more realistic than the empty default streets. Even the AI drivers handle these "narrower" roads very well without crashing into the parked cars. Also, I didn't notice any problems performance-wise - although I only use the default cars, so that may be different with custom ones.

However, there does seem to be a problem with this mod: after adding a couple of blocks worth of parked cars to the map (approx. 60 new car spawn entries), the game stopped generating traffic while in the area. It seems that the parked cars are included in the calculations that determine how many driving cars should get spawned. So unless there's a workaround to that, our city roads will probably remain empty... confused.gif

QUOTE (NaidRaida)
What do you think about moving this to IV Vehicles subforum? I think itīs the more appropriate section.

That would be fine if it's deemed necessary. Wasn't sure which forum would be the most appropriate, since this mod requires editing map placement files.

ZBNYNC
  • ZBNYNC

Texture Modder

• Members

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:09 AM

Wow, this looks awesome! I can't believe that someone is actually working on a mod that increases parked cars, I feel that it is a much needed mod and I hope to see a release for it soon.

A2002
  • A2002

Snitch

• Members

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

Agreed with the above user! This is such a awesome idea!! I would love seeing parked cars in lots of places and maybe some far-away places too where there are no cars in-game. Like parked cars on a Dirt road somewhere..

I'm also waiting for a Aggressive Driver mod so everyone drives crazy so I have a reason to kill them all! tounge.gif but yeah, awesome idea and would be awesome if this gets released someday.

but yeah, it's a idea that cars could be parked in other places where there aren't any cars but should be.

PacketOVerload_x64Bit
  • PacketOVerload_x64Bit

Window Licker 4 Blondes

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:24 AM

A great idea. Realistic ambience. Hope you choose cars with low poly counts (need to check 'em) to keep performance. And hope the vehicles are related to the area they are parked in i.e.: Rancher parked in seedy areas / Vigero2 parked in slums / Infernus + Turismo parked in ritzy areas.

I'm interested, what are you opening the WPL files with?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users