11 replies to this topic
Gifbrah
  • Gifbrah

GTAist.com Founder

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [GTA]

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:31 PM

Browsing through quite a few realism vs fun debate threads in here, I have not seen a mention of why it can't be both.

If Rockstar does in fact browse these forums, I think a great way to satisfy both crowds would be to determine the difficulty settings by realism.

In other words, in easy mode, it's very much like the difficulty in GTA IV, where you may be shot multiple times and still run... Run red lights without police chasing you. Crash at 120mph and still survive/be able to drive the car.

On the other hand, if you raise the difficulty, it becomes a whole new game. Running a red light with an officer around will result in chasing you. Crashing at high speeds will kill you on impact. Getting shot will severely impact your character (if not kill him right away), ect....

Just my two cents.

Also...

inb4 some cheeky kunt says this has been covered already- I did some snooping first and saw not one mention.

SGT. Johnson
  • SGT. Johnson

"To Obey and Survive"

• Members

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE (Gifbrah @ Monday, Feb 13 2012, 19:31)
Browsing through quite a few realism vs fun debate threads in here, I have not seen a mention of why it can't be both.

If Rockstar does in fact browse these forums, I think a great way to satisfy both crowds would be to determine the difficulty settings by realism.

In other words, in easy mode, it's very much like the difficulty in GTA IV, where you may be shot multiple times and still run... Run red lights without police chasing you. Crash at 120mph and still survive/be able to drive the car.

On the other hand, if you raise the difficulty, it becomes a whole new game. Running a red light with an officer around will result in chasing you. Crashing at high speeds will kill you on impact. Getting shot will severely impact your character (if not kill him right away), ect....

Just my two cents.

Also...

inb4 some cheeky kunt says this has been covered already- I did some snooping first.

Because IT HAS TO BE one way or the other. People are not intelligent enough to look at the coin from both sides.

JasonBrody
  • JasonBrody

Thug

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

Johnson if you are the first one to reply to a new topic you do not need to quote the first post.
Some people.

CheesyJ
  • CheesyJ

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

I expect that R* will give us a game that is both realistic and fun. For me, it's all about trying to get the perfect balance. Looking at a game like RDR, I think they did that. The game was a very realistic interpretation of the old wild west, which made it realistic, however it was also an incredibly fun game with a lot of fun aspects in it. LA Noire, on the other hand, got the balance wrong in my opinion. They just went all out for the realism aspect, and nailed it, but forgot that when people play video games, they want to enjoy them and have some sort of fun while playing them.

I don't think it will be two hard for R* to nail both. If they give us a realistic criminal world, with a realistic storyline, that has a lot of good missions in it, then the fun will naturally come hand in hand with the realism aspect.

SGT. Johnson
  • SGT. Johnson

"To Obey and Survive"

• Members

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE (JasonBrody @ Monday, Feb 13 2012, 19:33)
Johnson if you are the first one to reply to a new topic you do not need to quote the first post.
Some people.

And you do not need to troll unsuccessfully but you do anyways. turn.gif

Gifbrah
  • Gifbrah

GTAist.com Founder

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [GTA]

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE (SGT. Johnson @ Monday, Feb 13 2012, 19:32)
Because IT HAS TO BE one way or the other. People are not intelligent enough to look at the coin from both sides.

I know you're being cheeky, but you bring up a valid point. Why are many topics here so polarizing? It's like, it has to be black and white with everything else disregarded. On top of that, it turns into a flamefest of, "f*ck yous" and "Are you retardeds?"

GarrowsKai
  • GarrowsKai

I don't even like Dubstep

• Members

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:07 PM

I've often though a similar thing regarding difficulty. But how about a custom difficulty thing?

It could be like this, in the options you have a difficulty tab, this then goes into a menu with a number of tick able options which could include:

High/Medium/Low Damage
Limited (realistic) ammo
High/Low police response (so as mentioned above, on high response the police chase you for speeding or running red lights etc)

So on and so forth. This would make it less black and white and give the end user the option to make the game fun for them, as some people seem to want total realism which is just not a fun prospect for a large number of people.

As an extra thing, once attain 100% completion there could be an option to be invincible and have unlimited ammo, sort of a prize for 100% so you can lay total destruction.

Chillzz01
  • Chillzz01

Prankster

• Members

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:07 AM

More fun like SA, But keep the realism of 4. A mixture of both would be sweet.

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:17 AM

I think one of the ways to make it both is to let the protagonist swim underwater. What kind of criminal can't swim? Okay, maybe it's a bit pointless, but not any more pointless than the rampages people go on in the game anyways. I do both for fun in SA. Swimming is fun. And realistic. I just want one pointless fun thing to do.

Cyper
  • Cyper

Liberty City Lover Since 2001

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:53 AM Edited by Cyper, 14 February 2012 - 10:56 AM.

GTA IV far far away from realistic. Its an arcade game. If you want a more realistic experience, try out games like Arma 2. GTA will always be 'dumbed down' or 'accessible' for the mainstream. Its not bad. Thats really its origins. But GTA isnt the most unrealistic videogame either. However, some kind of ''Hardcore'' mode would be nice. And anyone that says that ''realism isnt fun'' are dead wrong. This is not true. Its all down to taste - and with that said - only a minority like high realism games.

Better AI, lethal bullets, and less enemies would be great.

In terms of realism in the story, I'd like the dark tale and serious approach that GTA IV had, but at the same time giving the player huge amount of freedom and creativity in the missions. GTA IV was very repetitive and was mostly about killing other people. Not like: There are no military jets because... its not realistic.

Gtaghost22
  • Gtaghost22

• Members

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE (Cyper @ Tuesday, Feb 14 2012, 10:53)
GTA IV far far away from realistic. Its an arcade game. If you want a more realistic experience, try out games like Arma 2. GTA will always be 'dumbed down' or 'accessible' for the mainstream. Its not bad. Thats really its origins. But GTA isnt the most unrealistic videogame either. However, some kind of ''Hardcore'' mode would be nice. And anyone that says that ''realism isnt fun'' are dead wrong. This is not true. Its all down to taste - and with that said - only a minority like high realism games.

Better AI, lethal bullets, and less enemies would be great.

In terms of realism in the story, I'd like the dark tale and serious approach that GTA IV had, but at the same time giving the player huge amount of freedom and creativity in the missions. GTA IV was very repetitive and was mostly about killing other people. Not like: There are no military jets because... its not realistic.

^^^ Perfect Post!

Senax
  • Senax

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:08 AM

I agree if they find the right balance of both (GTA IV was close but maybe a little bit too realistic) then i think they could make a brilliant game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users