Photo

Swiping Tenpenny's Indestructible Firetruck

29 replies to this topic
OrionSR
  • OrionSR

Chain Game Development Team

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:12 PM Edited by OrionSR, 18 February 2012 - 07:52 AM.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5.49: Bulletproof/Fireproof/Explosionproof/Collisionproof/Meleeproof Ladder Truck
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mission: End of the Line
Character: Sweet
Difficulty: *****
Resource F: ***

The firetruck that Tenpenny drives in the last third of the mission End of the Line can be obtained by keeping the firetruck in the center of the screen as CJ drives to 8-Ball's garage to install a bomb in the Feltzer. When the bomb detonates just after catching Sweet and jumping out of the car the firetruck can be obtained just down the road. These descriptions are based on an original method that was developed by Балласюга (a.k.a. SA Pro, Rustlerr2010). <Video>

Keeping Tenpenny In View

The mission will fail if Tenpenny gets just a little too far away and is not in view. However, “in view” can be a long distance if Tenpenny can be kept in the center of the screen by using his radar blip for direction, and estimating his elevation based on your knowledge of the terrain. Even if Tenpenny is kept in view it is still possible to get too far away. The maximum distance appears to be a little more than the distance between the upper road in Las Colinas and a little past the freeway that runs between the stadium and downtown Los Santos.

Using Keyboard and Mouse

This is the original method for obtaining this vehicle and is suggested for all PC players, even players who are more comfortable with joypad controls. The look direction must be adjusted frequently or after a short delay the camera will begin to track behind a moving vehicle. The camera will track behind faster if the vehicle is moving quickly. Constantly twitch the camera angle with mouse-look whenever Tenpenny is not near.

Using Gamepad Controls (PS2, Xbox)

The camera angle must be adjusted constantly with the right analog stick whenever the vehicle is in motion. There is a limit to how fast the camera can be adjusted, and this in turn will limit the speed of the vehicle. Be especially careful when descending a hill; coasting is suggested, be prepared to use the handbrake. The accelerator is difficult to reach with the right hand while also controlling the camera angle with the right stick. In order to make adequate progress I found it necessary to align my vehicle so it could travel straight, use my left hand to control the camera, and use my right thumb on the accelerator. Turns at the end of a road are best accomplished by switching to both sticks and using momentum to coast through the turn. Adjustments and slow turns are made by alternating between the accelerator and the right stick with the right hand. This is a very awkward process, but if adequate progress is made during the straight sections of road without traffic there is just enough time to get the job done.

Before You Begin

Complete the assault and escape portions of the mission and fail the chase. Obtain a parachute and a method to commit suicide. If possible, change to keyboard and mouse controls. Save at the Johnson house. When you enter the mission marker at Sweet's house you will resume the chase portion of the mission.

Step One: Installing a Bomb in the Feltzer

Method one
----------

Adapted for skilled keyboard drivers by d00m41k (a.k.a. roggan, Dooom41k) <Video>

Follow Tenpenny until he crosses the bridge and enters the Idlewood neighborhood. Turn right and head west where Tenpenny turns left. At the end of the road turn left, and then left again into 8-Ball's garage to install the bomb. Back out of the garage and across the road, then follow the road south and east as it turns. Cross over to the tracks, catch up to Tenpenny, and proceed with step two: Catching Sweet.

Method two
----------

Adapted for gamepad and unskilled keyboard drivers by OrionSR <map>
  • I have managed to get the bomb installed and collect the indestructible ladder truck using gamepad controls on PC, but this method has yet to be confirmed for PS2 or Xbox.
  • Times shown in parenthesis indicate adequate progress to arrive at the bomb garage as soon as Tenpenny has reached the Idlewood neighborhood (21:10). Don't panic if you are running behind by 10 to 15 seconds. It is still possible to make up a little time on the southbound road if you don't run into much traffic, or to catch up to Tenpenny farther along in his route.
  • Keyboard drivers might be able to drive so fast that CJ can get too far from Tenpenny's firetruck. To avoid getting too far away 1) wait until Tenpenny is heading west on the dirt road above Las Colinas (18:10) before continuing along the third westbound road, and 2) wait until Tenpenny has entered the Glen Park neighborhood (19:20) before continuing south of the freeway.

As soon as CJ gains control of the Feltzer (17:13) turn left down the hill of the first westbound road and rotate the camera to keep Tenpenny in view. Make sure the car is headed directly west and is going as straight as possible. Traffic will not be a problem. As you pass the strip club turn left and immediately right onto the second westbound road. Align the left front and rear tires on the yellow lines (17:50) so you can drive the entire length of this road without steering. When you pass the Jefferson safehouse turn left and immediately right on to the third westbound road. Align on the yellow lines (18:45) and continue west until you pass the skate park.

Turn left onto the southbound road that heads directly to the bomb garage (19:20). This road will bend right then left as it crosses the freeway so precise alignment isn't quite as critical. Traffic will now be a concern so stay in the right lane or on the sidewalk. After you cross the freeway use the short wall on the side of the sidewalk to steer the car straight (mostly) down the sidewalks (20:10). Be aware that the tall wall near the LS street race trigger will mess with the camera zoom a little, but it helps to be on the sidewalk and out of traffic.

If necessary, wait until Tenpenny has crossed the bridge into Idlewood (21:10) before entering the bomb garage. Back out of the garage slowly until you regain control of the camera, then back across the road, turn south and then east as the road turns. Cross over to the tracks and catch up to Tenpenny as he is approaching the hairpin turn on the tracks (21:55).

Step Two: Catching Sweet

In order to gain access to the indestructible firetruck you must arm the bomb 6 to 8 seconds before catching Sweet and then jump out of the car before it explodes. When Tenpenny turns on to the freeway follow at almost full speed. Just before CJ completes the turn north along East Beach Sweet's grip meter will appear. Arm the bomb and catch Sweet near the intersection with the road that runs south of the stadium. Jump out of the car as soon as Sweet jumps onto the Feltzer. If the car explodes while Sweet is still climbing into the car then the mission won't fail or enter a cut-scene that cancels the explosion, and Tenpenny will stop just out of view.

Step Three: Saving the Indestructible Ladder Truck

Down the road you will find Tenpenny sitting in his locked firetruck. Enter through the passenger door that was left open by the cop that was stomping on Sweet's fingers, but remember that the doors are still locked, so don't exit until the vehicle is stored safely in a garage. Destroy the firetruck by equipping a parachute and punching it until it burns and explodes. If possible, climb on top of the firetruck and stomp on it for faster damage. Use your suicide device to kill CJ while the garage door is still open to fail the mission and store the firetruck.
  • Militia likes this

roggan
  • roggan

Rat

• Members

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:30 PM

Great!
The only remark - Балласюга, SA Pro, and Rustlerr2010 - it's all the same person with several nicks smile.gif

Sucha84
  • Sucha84

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

Great work Dude...... Excellent. You have written everything. It's very difficult to explain but still you have done a great job. It will be much easier if you can create a video for unskilled drivers.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:37 PM

Thanks roggan. The credits have been updated.

This computer is no longer up to the task of recording videos of San Andreas. However, it can paint a map, which has been added to the description for method two.

Are the practice saves that I posted during my investigation worth including in this topic?

lol232
  • lol232

The Golden Butcher

• Members
  • Greece

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

One Question : Is it possible to obtain it without death?

Sucha84
  • Sucha84

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE (lol232 @ Tuesday, Feb 14 2012, 11:25)
One Question : Is it possible to obtain it without death?

No way. After stealing Tenpenny's Firetruck, he is going away and Sweet also get wasted with the bomb blast on Feltzer. But very surprisingly mission won't fail and Sweet's grip bar doesn't vanish either. So no way player can do a progress after that. This might be another glitch of this game. Normally if a main character is got wasted, mission should fail. But in here, it doesn't happen. Even if CJ is not going to collect Firetruck, he must suicide if he needs to save game again. Even getting busted is not worked because CJ is immune to get wanted stars how badly he is doing crimes. So he must suicide to save game after he has done upto that stage. This is one of worse script in the game but helps to get this Indestructible Firetruck.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:20 PM Edited by OrionSR, 16 February 2012 - 03:10 AM.

Installing a Bomb with Gamepad Controls

I am revising my opinion on the possibility of obtaining this vehicle on PS2 and Xbox. I have managed to get the bomb installed and collect the indestructible ladder truck using gamepad controls on PC. I still think PC users are better off switching to keyboard and mouse controls for this collection; gamepad control is proving very difficult to work with. However, unskilled keyboard drivers might find this new route to be more efficient. <map>

As soon as CJ gains control of the Feltzer (17:13) turn left down the hill and rotate the camera to keep Tenpenny in view. Make sure the car is headed directly west and is going as straight as possible. If the car starts to move too quickly it will be impossible to keep Tenpenny in the center of the screen so you might need to use the brake to slow the vehicle while it is coasting down the hill. At the bottom of the hill start using your left hand to control the camera so you can use your right hand to control the accelerator.

At the end of the road turn left and immediately right. Turning is a slow process conducted with the left hand while alternating between camera and accelerator with the right hand. Take a little time to align the left front and rear tires on the yellow lines of the west bound road (17:50). You want to be able to drive the entire length of this road without steering; preferably in the right hand lane. Again use your left hand to control the camera while driving as quickly as possible without going so fast that the camera can't keep Tenpenny centered on the screen.

When you pass the Jefferson safehouse turn left and immediately right. Align the tires on the yellow line (18:45) and drive to the end of the road past the skate park. Be especially careful not to gain too much speed down the hill. Turn left onto the road that heads south directly to the bomb garage (19:20). This road will bend right then left as it crosses the freeway so precise alignment isn't quite as critical. Traffic can be a major concern so stay in the right lane or on the sidewalk. After you cross the freeway try to hit the short wall on the side of the sidewalk and use it to steer the car directly south (20:10). If Tenpenny has not progressed to the Glen Park neighborhood (19:20) do not progress further south. Be aware that the tall wall near the LS street race trigger will mess with the camera zoom a little, but it helps to be on the sidewalk and out of traffic.

If necessary, wait until Tenpenny has crossed the bridge into Idlewood (21:10) before entering the bomb garage (I got there right on time). Back out across the road, turn south and then east as the road turns. Cross over to the tracks and catch up to Tenpenny who should be nearing the hairpin turn. Even if he makes it a little farther it is still possible to catch up to him before Sweet starts getting his fingers stomped on.

BabeRuth
  • BabeRuth

Bronx Bombers Stadium

• Members

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:19 AM

I hope this'll work smile.gif

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:03 AM

The first post has been updated to including information on using gamepad controls for this collection. The most major change is to abandon the freeway route originally proposed for unskilled keyboard drivers. The gamepad route is now suggested for both gamepad and unskilled keyboard drivers.

Sucha84
  • Sucha84

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:38 PM

Finally I won it. Method 1 (For skillful drivers) worked for me rather than method 2. As you suggested drive slowly worked for me when I keep the camera view stationary. It's difficult to understand method 2 without a video. I tried to follow your path as method 2, but at some stage I loose camera view. The best time to arm the bomb is the time as soon as Sweet's grip bar appears.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:15 AM

Sorry, I won't be able to make a video for Method two. And if I did it would be for the gamepad controls since it is much more difficult. After all that non-sense with the gamepad that route was very easy with mouse-look, so I gave roggan's method one another shot and got it without much trouble. I even managed to catch Sweet using the keyboard and mouse controls.

Sucha84
  • Sucha84

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:43 AM

I forgot. I think disabling frame limiter is also helpful to obtain it. In my earlier game run, I enabled it. I have experienced that disabling frame limiter helps to run this game much smoother and bit slower. So driving became somewhat easy. What do you think?

roggan
  • roggan

Rat

• Members

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:59 PM

The lower your fps is - the harder you will catch up to Tenpenny. That's why actually Rustler2010's video is made of two different shots.
30 fps is still acceptable, but ~10-15 fps and you won't be able to catch up.
Commonly I prefer disabled limiter, but in some cases I turn it on (e.g. CJ swims and dievs MUCH faster with it; some car school stuff also requires frame limit; looks like that it's better to obtain BP/FP/EP/CP/MP Boxville with it etc).

Sucha84
  • Sucha84

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:27 AM

You may be right because I was drawn when I get 33th Oyster which was hella deep. I forgot that disabling frame limiter will become diving much slower. But when I got that Oyster earlier game runs, I never drown. That will be the reason for drowning. However, disabling frame limiter helped me a lot to get allproof Boxville to get correct timing and direction.

AlSar
  • AlSar

Russian GTA-genre fan

• Members

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:20 AM

Sucha84

Frame limiter cuts game's max fps from 60 to 25
If you have a relatively modern PC which characteristics beat GTA SA system requirements in multiple times,
it's no need to enable it during normal gameplay, because 60 fps is make the game much more smooth.

The problem is that some areas will make fps sink to 20 or so even if you PC is able to render other ones at 60 fps
(i.e. Idlewood is 'slow' area, Ganton is 'fast') owing to game bugs. I don't know whether this still happens on top PC's with Core i7's or similar CPU's though.
So it's up to you to decide your frame limiter state. 'Slow' areas are relatively rare btw.
But enabling it is vital in some cases as collecting the infamous deep oyster or obtaining Boxville

roggan

I completed all driving tests with 100% result with no limiter.
What stuff do you speak about exactly?
A to moya tvoya ne ponimat' smile.gif

Sucha84
  • Sucha84

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:28 PM

Alsar

Yeah. You are absolutely right. The slow areas as you said, is wobbling in my game run and there are areas which faster as you said. Even after disabling frame limiter, it has a slight wobbling in slow areas. I use 1GB RAM, 256 MB VGA which are easily outrun recommended requirements but My processor is only 1.7GHz. So that might be the reason still game is running bit slower although most parts works smoother after disabling frame limiter. However for me, disabling frame limiter helps to pass "Barn and Lap" Driving school mission and Vinewood Car Race which CJ is forced to drive a much slower Sunrise compared to his opponents.

AlSar
  • AlSar

Russian GTA-genre fan

• Members

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:07 PM

Sucha84

I highly advise you to use a program called Fraps.
It shows FPS and is able to make screens and videos from any fullscreen application.

The free version limitations are in the fact that 'www.fraps.com' is shown in videos everytime.
Screens can be made only in BMP in free version too.
But I think it's not such a problem

Krawk
  • Krawk

Peon

• Members

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:54 AM Edited by Krawk, 01 February 2013 - 05:33 AM.

I am compiling instructions for purposes of the guide....
Should Frame Limiter be enabled or does it not matter? In my trial I left Frame Limiter OFF but I would suspect if you are having trouble with losing firetruck while going to bomb shop that enabling it might help.
How do you manage to get Sweet to jump into the car so quickly? Still a random thing roggan but Sweet being centered on the hood helps
In the video, after the Feltzer blows up the camera is pointed AWAY - so it's not as important then once the car blows? - Ok so once the Feltzer is destroyed the Firetruck stays at the same place - thanks roggan

[Edit]
Which garages can the final act (destroying the truck and suiciding) be completed in?
My El Corona Garage is crammed full but I just tested with SACC and the Teleport function that all these garages appear to be big enough - I would suggest best places to suicide are Verdant Garage or Doherty Garage.
El Corona - YES
Doherty - YES
Hashbury - YES
Verdant Meadows GARAGE - YES
Verdant Meadows Hangar - YES - thanks roggan for debunking another error in the guide - Although I purposely destroyed a vehicle and as the doors were closing it disappeared just prior to it being closed
Prickle Pine - YES but VERY tight fit

roggan
  • roggan

Rat

• Members

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (Krawk @ Tuesday, Jan 29 2013, 00:54)
I am compiling instructions for purposes of the guide....
Should Frame Limiter be enabled or does it not matter?
How do you manage to get Sweet to jump into the car so quickly?
In the video, after the Feltzer blows up the camera is pointed AWAY - so it's not as important then once the car blows?

[Edit]
Which garages can the final act (destroying the truck and suiciding) be completed in?
My El Corona Garage is crammed full but I just tested with SACC and the Teleport function that all these garages appear to be big enough - I would suggest best places to suicide are Verdant Garage or Doherty Garage.
El Corona - YES
Doherty - YES
Hashbury - YES
Verdant Meadows GARAGE - YES
Verdant Meadows Hangar - NO (according to SE's guide destroyed vehicles are a no no here)
Prickle Pine - YES but VERY tight fit

Should Frame Limiter be enabled or does it not matter? - It affects but very little. If you have extremely low FPS it will be a challenge to catch the Firetruck when you have to. But at ~30 there seem to be no problem.
How do you manage to get Sweet to jump into the car so quickly? - He always jumps like that
In the video, after the Feltzer blows up the camera is pointed AWAY - so it's not as important then once the car blows? - Not important at all, Firetruck stays there even if you'll suddenly decide to get to Bayside and then back again on feet. But if you want to get them both (Firetruck and Feltzer), you have to be quick to get in the Firetruck and get back to Feltzer wreck.
Verdant Meadows Hangar - NO (according to SE's guide destroyed vehicles are a no no here) - Why? The original firetruck video: http://www.youtube.c...tailpage#t=520s

Krawk
  • Krawk

Peon

• Members

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:35 AM

Thanks roggan - I have edited my original post Q & A - Regarding the Feltzer most people will opt to back it into the pond at Glen Park, easier as you just drive it out once mission has failed.

GTASAddict
  • GTASAddict

0_0

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:44 AM

Why endure all this hassle when you can acquire the chariot via an ActionReplay/Gameshark/Codebreaker or etc code?

ThatSpecialSomeone
  • ThatSpecialSomeone

• Members
  • Slovakia

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

With cheats you can get pretty much everything there is no challenge in it. But on other hand getting it without cheats is a great achievement this topic wouldn't exist if there weren't people who are interested in playing without cheats. wink.gif

roggan
  • roggan

Rat

• Members

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:49 AM

Although I purposely destroyed a vehicle and as the doors were closing it disappeared just prior to it being closed

The game mechanics are that wrecks inside the garage disappear rather quickly (the more FPS you have the faster disappear is) so it's not a direct cause by Verdant Meadows. If you execute a suicide fast then the wreck will not have time to disappear and will be saved.

SeaWallTx
  • SeaWallTx

ANTISOCIAL ASSHOLE

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:30 AM Edited by SeaWallTx, 12 April 2013 - 04:45 AM.

Hey, I'm new to the forum but not to gta. I just wanted to give a little tip, well a small cheat, to help anyone who has just about given up trying to get this "last" proofed vehicle on the ps2(ps3 psn version). If you are having too much trouble and feel like giving up. Then try the, full aim while drive-by cheat- up, up, square, l2, right, x, r1, down, r2, circle, this makes method #1 very easy. And if that's still too hard or if u just want a practice run, you can use, the slo-mo cheat- triangle, up, right, down, square, r2, r1. With that it makes method #1 sooo easy. Just thought there might be a few people out there who have been trying this to no avial and thisll help, if for no more than practice. wink.gif These cheats will help on xbox also but of course the buttons would be different.

Militia
  • Militia

Proof Vehicle Collector

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:34 PM

Thanks for the guide OrionSR.  Tomorrow is the big day!  I will try and obtain this Fire Truck!  I hope I can get the AP Greenwood, too! :)

Militia
  • Militia

Proof Vehicle Collector

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:08 PM

Is there a trick to obtaining this?  Well...No sh*t there is a "trick" to obtaining this...

But what I mean is, how do you even control the camera on the PS2/3?  Everytime I tried, I couldn't even get down the first hill as the Fire Truck turns right and I turn left.  The camera would literally start looking upward and I'd be like the 2D GTA games looking top down.  It was a real mess for me and seemed literally impossible.  It's about a 7-9 minute process to obtain this vehicle before taking it to the Verdant Meadows Hanger, and I couldn't even get past the first 10 seconds of it.

It's not the end of the world for me to not have it, but it would of been nice to obtain it.  I know one day on another playthrough sometime I can probably obtain it, but for now I moved on.

It just seems completely impossible to control the camera.  Goes all over the place for me...

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:56 PM

I've got to get ready for work, and may not get back to this for a couple of days. There are some additional notes on camera control in the 7th post, but nothing else to practical I can add right now. This is pretty tricky stuff. Take it really slow, use goofy-handed tricks to keep that camera centered. Um... don't worry about catching Tenpenny to start with, just try to make as much progress down the road as possible without losing control of the camera. The faster you move the harder it is to control the camera.

• Militia likes this

Militia
  • Militia

Proof Vehicle Collector

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:36 PM

See, there was a point where I actually came to a complete stop on the hill and the camera went really out of wack.  I have a tough time keeping the camera steady and going at a constant rate of driving.  It just doesn't work for me at all.

But I made up my mind, the AP Fire Truck and AP Greenwood surely are the two hardest vehicles to obtain in the game without cheats.  The AP Newsvan and AP Infernus are pretty tricky, too, however I did manage to obtain both of these.  I also got some other difficult ones like the AP Savanna and AP Boxville.  Some say the AP Boxville is in the top 5 hardest vehicles in the game.  I got super lucky on that one and got it quite quickly.  Complete luck, really...

I'll examine this topic some more and also the entire web of topics dealing with this Fire Truck.

Btw, is it me?  Or is SA by far out of GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, and VCS the HARDEST game to obtain these proof vehicles in?  Seems like every other PS2 era GTA game the vehicles are not so hard to obtain.  That is why I re-played SA first before moving onto my second playthrough of III and VC.  These seem very easy to obtain the vehicles compared to SA.  Even LCS and VCS are cake compared to SA.  Glad SA is almost over! :)

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:11 PM

No, I don't think it's you. I've collect vehicles in most GTA games; I don't remember anything nearly as elaborate as the schemes players have cooked up over the year for San Andreas. But then again, I haven't gone back to GTA III or VC in a while. Maybe they've got some clever stuff going now. And uh... let's keep things strictly on topic here. Prompt me in your collection topic if I don't bring up the FI Boxville.

You'll need to control the vertical as well as the horizontal, without enough thumbs and fingers to do it properly. I was tempted to remap my triggers like the newer controls but figured PS2 players wouldn't be able to, so I wouldn't either. The hills make controlling the vertical a little more tricky, but overall it's easier since you don't need to use the gas. Oh, PS2 has variable controlled acceleration, on PC (without mods) it's either on or off. Handbrake is easier than brake, iirc.

During most of the beginning of the route CJ is driving west, and so is Tenpenny way up in the hills, usually lagging behind a bit. He's not driving all that fast since CJ isn't close - giving the player a chance to catch up. So most of the time you'll want to be looking up a little for the hill, and then mostly north northeast. When you aren't making more dramatic changes for turns you'll be holding this angle quite a bit. If you can maintain a constant speed then you should be able to hold the camera to the right (but not all the way, you need a little wiggle room) and either up a little or down a little, depending on inversion preferences. I couldn't hold a slow constant speed on PC; tapping was used when hills aren't available. 

• Militia likes this

QaiserH
  • QaiserH

Dialouges Writer

• Members
  • Pakistan

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:05 PM

I Was Totally Blocked In This Mission Because I Was Too Far From The Fire truk Thats Why I Was Blocked

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users