» «
Photo

Slave drive for Fraps

16 replies to this topic
Pat
  • Pat

• The Connection

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:56 AM

I believe I asked about this in the Random Questions topic some odd months ago and didn't receive any kind of helpful reply. I have since Google searched on a regular basis and have to this day found nothing, so I'm coming here again in the hopes that someone will have advice. I currently have two harddrives: a 1TB, and a 500GB. My 500GB is faster and everything is installed on it right now, and there is nothing on my 1TB. What I would like to do is transfer everything to my 1TB and set up the 500GB so that Fraps always records footage to it.

The file transfer is not that big of a deal, worst case scenario is I make a back up of my picture, video and music folders and just redownload all of my games from Steam. However, I want to know if it's actually possible to use both harddrives at the same time, and use one of them exclusively with Fraps. I know that right now, I can't use my 1TB because it has no operating system on it, but to use it alongside my 1TB, will I need Windows 7 on both? Would it be better to use, say, some form of Linux on the 500GB? Would that even be compatible?

As you can see, I have no idea what I'm talking about, so I'll try once again to put this in the simplest terms I can: I want to have all of my primary files on my 1TB hard drive, and force Fraps to record footage to my 500GB hard drive. How do I do this?

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

The boatman stays with the boat.

• Members

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:07 AM Edited by leik oh em jeez!, 12 February 2012 - 02:09 AM.

I don't regularly use them , so I can't think of any specifically, but find a good free program to make a complete image of your 500Gb drive, then restore that image to the 1Tb drive. (Similar making an .ISO from a disk and burning it to another one)
Afterwards, disconnect the 500Gb (That's assuming it's SATA. If not you'll need to make sure the jumper is set to Master on the 1Tb first) to check and make sure you can boot into Windows from the 1Tb and that it's assigned drive letter C. If you can't boot, get a Windows install disk for your version of Windows and just run a repair on it, this will make sure your hard drive is active and knows where to boot from. (You may need to configure it as the the primary hard disk to boot from in your BIOS, then double check it once the 1Tb is reinstalled.)

After that, all you need to do is reconnect the 500Gb. (If it's IDE, then set jumper to Slave.) Confirm that ALL of your files succesfully transferred, then format the 500Gb drive as NTFS and assign it a drive letter. Preferably D, I like to keep all local disks grouped together.

You don't need to install anything on the other drive. With the method I described above it will be used solely as data storage. You will need configure Fraps to save there, but that's not hard.

Pat
  • Pat

• The Connection

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:18 AM

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you, I'll try that tomorrow and depending on how it goes I'll post my progress.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:29 AM

Wait wait wait wait. I'm confused....I think. Ok let me see if I get any of this right.
So the 500GB is your OS drive and you have FRAPS installed on there. You want to record video to the 500GB but apparently you're running out of space so you want to move everything to the 1TB. And for whatever reason you say/think the 500GB is faster.

Ok unless the 500GB is 10,000RPM or you dropped a big load of money on a SSD the speed of both drives should be 7200RPM. That is unless you were crazy enough to get a 5400RPM drive because it's a WD Green drive. Now if the 1TB is 5400RPM then moving your OS and everything to that would be nuts. However, let me play this out as if both drives are 7200RPM.
There's not need to move anything but FRAPS to the other drive. You should be able to either tell FRAPS to save videos, and even the screen shots, to any folder/drive you want within the settings. Worse case you uninstall FRAPS and reinstall it again but this time when it asks where to install it you tell it the 1TB drive.

The 1TB drive doesn't need an OS on it. It just needs to be formatted. Windows will see it as additional storage. I've got a 120SSD for my OS and most programs but my 1TB is my storage drive, I've even got BF1942 and Halo installed on it as well as it's where I point my podcast rss feed catcher to store it's files, and torrents, and other things I don't want hogging up my SSD with it's limited space.

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

• Members

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:46 AM

QUOTE (Wolf68k @ Saturday, Feb 11 2012, 23:29)
Wait wait wait wait. I'm confused....I think. Ok let me see if I get any of this right.
So the 500GB is your OS drive and you have FRAPS installed on there. You want to record video to the 500GB but apparently you're running out of space so you want to move everything to the 1TB. And for whatever reason you say/think the 500GB is faster.

Ok unless the 500GB is 10,000RPM or you dropped a big load of money on a SSD the speed of both drives should be 7200RPM. That is unless you were crazy enough to get a 5400RPM drive because it's a WD Green drive. Now if the 1TB is 5400RPM then moving your OS and everything to that would be nuts. However, let me play this out as if both drives are 7200RPM.
There's not need to move anything but FRAPS to the other drive. You should be able to either tell FRAPS to save videos, and even the screen shots, to any folder/drive you want within the settings. Worse case you uninstall FRAPS and reinstall it again but this time when it asks where to install it you tell it the 1TB drive.

The 1TB drive doesn't need an OS on it. It just needs to be formatted. Windows will see it as additional storage. I've got a 120SSD for my OS and most programs but my 1TB is my storage drive, I've even got BF1942 and Halo installed on it as well as it's where I point my podcast rss feed catcher to store it's files, and torrents, and other things I don't want hogging up my SSD with it's limited space.

I think you confused yourself a bit there. If he were to keep everything on the 500Gb and record to the 1Tb, he would have no reason to move Fraps either. If the 1Tb is a 5400rpm, then the 7200rpm 500Gb drive would be much better suited to quickly writing large continuous files. (Like recording a video) while programs are usually accessing many small files spread out across the disk, where a slower drive won't make much difference.

Pat
  • Pat

• The Connection

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:02 AM Edited by Pat, 12 February 2012 - 07:06 AM.

QUOTE (leik oh em jeez! @ Saturday, Feb 11 2012, 23:46)
If the 1Tb is a 5400rpm

It very unfortunately is. After a bit more thinking, I believe what I'm going to do is transfer the bulk of my files to the 1TB, keep my OS and games on the 500GB, and still use it with Fraps. At some point I'd like to get a 120GB SSD for my OS and games anyway.

If I still had the receipt for this hard drive I would have already returned it, but sadly it's long gone, and I'm stuck with it. I figure I might as well make use of it, even if it is horrendously slow.

SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:41 AM Edited by SyphonPayne, 12 February 2012 - 07:49 AM.

QUOTE (leik oh em jeez! @ Saturday, Feb 11 2012, 22:46)
I think you confused yourself a bit there. If he were to keep everything on the 500Gb and record to the 1Tb, he would have no reason to move Fraps either. If the 1Tb is a 5400rpm, then the 7200rpm 500Gb drive would be much better suited to quickly writing large continuous files. (Like recording a video) while programs are usually accessing many small files spread out across the disk, where a slower drive won't make much difference.

Actually, most 5400RPM drives are capable of having comparable SEQUENTIAL read/write rates to 7200RPM drives. However it is RANDOM ACCESS rates in which the 7200RPM drive will excel. FRAPS is entirely SEQUENTIAL, therefore the 5400RPM would still most likely be suitable for FRAPS recording.

QUOTE (Pat @ Sunday, Feb 12 2012, 01:02)
QUOTE (leik oh em jeez! @ Saturday, Feb 11 2012, 23:46)
If the 1Tb is a 5400rpm

It very unfortunately is. After a bit more thinking, I believe what I'm going to do is transfer the bulk of my files to the 1TB, keep my OS and games on the 500GB, and still use it with Fraps. At some point I'd like to get a 120GB SSD for my OS and games anyway.

If I still had the receipt for this hard drive I would have already returned it, but sadly it's long gone, and I'm stuck with it. I figure I might as well make use of it, even if it is horrendously slow.

As mentioned above, if your 5400RPM drive has a decent SEQUENTIAL read/write rate (I would say at least 60MB/Sec is fine for FRAPS,) then you're good to go. Moving your OS, GAMES and APPS to the 5400RPM would be unwise as most of those files require better RANDOM ACCESS rates. FRAPS needs a decent SEQUENTIAL WRITING rate. Also another key to the FRAPS puzzle is making sure that your game is not on the same hard drive as the FRAPS MOVIE folder. Therefore you should put your GAMES/APPS/OS on the 7200RPM and your FRAPS MOVIES should be recorded on the 5400RPM.

Also, as the 7200RPM drive is a 500GB drive, and the 5400RPM drive is a 1TB drive, chances are that the 1TB in fact has a higher PLATTER DENSITY than the 7200RPM drive. What this means is in fact that the 1TB may actually have BETTER SEQUENTIAL read/write rates than the 7200RPM. It definitely depends on which make/models you are comparing.

As you can see below, I do have experience in creating SMOOTH FRAPS videos. I have had to play around with a lot of settings but it can be done :-

Granted, I have all 7200RPM drives, no 5400's (except external,) but I am very confident that a 5400RPM drive is plenty capable of recording SMOOTH FRAPS gameplay, as long as the SEQUENTIAL read/write rates are acceptable.

Pat
  • Pat

• The Connection

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:21 AM

QUOTE (SyphonPayne @ Sunday, Feb 12 2012, 02:41)
Also another key to the FRAPS puzzle is making sure that your game is not on the same hard drive as the FRAPS MOVIE folder.

This is what everyone has told me, and it's the whole reason I've been trying to set up Fraps on a different drive. The rest of what you said is true as well, however; after posting that I decided, on a whim, to format the 1TB as a storage drive and try recording to it. I noticed absolutely zero impact on performance through about forty five consecutive minutes of recording (whereas before I would receive random framerate drops every five to ten minutes), and reviewing the footage, it didn't run into any errors while recording. So, I think I'll just keep the 500GB as it is and just use the 1TB for recording.

I apologize for cluttering up this section with this now defunct topic.

SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:33 AM

QUOTE (Pat @ Sunday, Feb 12 2012, 02:21)
QUOTE (SyphonPayne @ Sunday, Feb 12 2012, 02:41)
Also another key to the FRAPS puzzle is making sure that your game is not on the same hard drive as the FRAPS MOVIE folder.

This is what everyone has told me, and it's the whole reason I've been trying to set up Fraps on a different drive. The rest of what you said is true as well, however; after posting that I decided, on a whim, to format the 1TB as a storage drive and try recording to it. I noticed absolutely zero impact on performance through about forty five consecutive minutes of recording (whereas before I would receive random framerate drops every five to ten minutes), and reviewing the footage, it didn't run into any errors while recording. So, I think I'll just keep the 500GB as it is and just use the 1TB for recording.

That would be your best bet. Glad to hear that it works fine for you.

As for apologizing, no need, there may be others out there with the same question. This topic could help others as well as yourself smile.gif .

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

• Members

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:40 AM

QUOTE (Pat @ Sunday, Feb 12 2012, 03:21)

It's not clutter if it's sharing useful information in the correct section. smile.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:35 AM

A new SDD drive works in a Smart mode it sounds like, in that paired in your system's standard drive, you move or assign most used apps to cache to it, and it speeds up your system. Daisy Chaining is the term I use to have one OS master drive contact any other drives you attach, as I was saying before, SATA supports Hot Swap connects more so then PATA ever did, which was rare at best. USB is a well known Hot Swap convention in tech we use often

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:52 AM

@Pat
Syphon is right. And it looks like I wasn't as confused as I thought I was. The only confusing part is why anyone, well any gamer, would buy a 5400RPM drive these days.
Don't worry about the drive being 5400RPM to record your videos to, even on a 7200RPM drive the video is still getting written slower than that the drive can spin up to anyway.

@leik oh em jeez!
I think you missed that part where I basically said IF FRAPS doesn't let you set where to store the videos that are being recorded by it then he could install it onto the other drive. I haven't used FRAPS in a long time and what little of I have used it for for the most part I left it on default settings, thus even trying to see if you can select the destination folder.

@Slamman
And yet none that helps anything.

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

• Members

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:57 AM

QUOTE (Wolf68k @ Monday, Feb 13 2012, 02:52)
@leik oh em jeez!
I think you missed that part where I basically said IF FRAPS doesn't let you set where to store the videos that are being recorded by it then he could install it onto the other drive.

I probably missed where you said IF because you didn't. Excuse me for clarifying that he didn't need to move it.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:31 AM Edited by finn4life, 14 February 2012 - 06:02 AM.

QUOTE (leik oh em jeez! @ Sunday, Feb 12 2012, 19:40)
QUOTE (Pat @ Sunday, Feb 12 2012, 03:21)

It's not clutter if it's sharing useful information in the correct section. smile.gif

Yeah Pat, and anyone else reading, please do share your problems here, i can never seem to help anyone, but by posting your problem and people jointly solving it, everyone learns more and in future these problems can be more easily solved, i learnt a sh*tload more about fraps and how to best use it in this topic, and how multiple harddrives work.

At wolf, don't respond to leik, because it's leikly you will get into an argument, you two seem to be good at that.

Sorry for being off-topic.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:57 PM

I'm always saying, 5 doctor's opinions are better then one, seek some multiple advise angles, I do work on my own tech projects and I enjoy passing info along, that's why I do this regardless of any refutes

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

• Members

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:13 AM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Monday, Feb 13 2012, 05:31)
it's leikly you will get into an argument

I see what you did there. tounge2.gif

Anyways, I completely agree. Now people having similar problems in the future will be able to see this. You'll learn just as much, if not more, by reading problems and solutions here than you will in a book.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:07 PM

My guess, you typoed your user name? haha

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users