Photo

Official Tips N Trix Thread

8 replies to this topic
Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:15 PM Edited by Slamman, 11 February 2012 - 09:16 AM.

Throw in gaming as well, but any hints, tips and suggestions not related to a specific posted query should be discussed.

Yeah, I often pick mine up from the computing press, but why not pass them along, since the online WWW offers more viewers the chance to glean info?

One such tip, the subject just popped up in the Questions thread here, what about drives that are being declared by the system as Write Protected?
Well, PCW magazine addressed this with a letter published by a user facing the same,
The tip involves Windows 7 in his case;
Open the Command Prompt and run MS's utility Disk-Part
typing in their drive that's effected, I'm relaying the prompts you supply below
"List Volume"
"Select Volume x"
"attributes disk clear readonly"
"exit"

Should work it's magic

GTA 360
  • GTA 360

LIVE WITH IT OR DIE FROM IT.

• Members

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:52 PM

Turning your computer off saves energy as well as improving your health.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:28 AM Edited by Slamman, 11 February 2012 - 09:22 AM.

I don't have a ready list of SERIOUS hints and tips, but the idea has occurred some time ago, take this seriously, There are many good tips come up over time, most can be hidden well from the average user. LIKE, for example. Vista Etc., by default comes with security permissions for every folder and section you try clicking on, I've deactivated this so I don't have to right click and open with Admin Permissions, this is done under USER control panel.

from PCW again, an IE user's tool to remember tabs across online sessions, so you re-open to the same sites bookmarked in essence
Electric Brain Productions' IE Session Manager

(free limited use demo). Might be worth a look, since it offers more then maintaining tabs as newer browsers do, I find I like this feature a lot.

I might remind power users that Hot Keys are your friend, I recommend my favorite photo editor FREEBIE because it uses simple hotkeys to run through a batch of photos for editing; XnView

GTA 360
  • GTA 360

• Members

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:37 PM

F11 makes a window go full screen so you can fit more on a page and/or zoom further and see the writing/pictures clearer.

vertical limit
  • vertical limit

When in doubt don't pull out.

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:55 PM

F13 allows you to see your computer specs.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Saturday, Feb 11 2012, 13:28)
I don't have a ready list of SERIOUS hints and tips, but the idea has occurred some time ago, take this seriously, There are many good tips come up over time, most can be hidden well from the average user. LIKE, for example. Vista Etc., by default comes with security permissions for every folder and section you try clicking on, I've deactivated this so I don't have to right click and open with Admin Permissions, this is done under USER control panel.

It's not every folder you click on, it's when a program wants to install itself or change files, or when you want to try change important files.
It kinda does have it's purpose, stops stuff you don't want installed on your computer.

Slamman, we could post many tips and tricks, but do you think people will read through and take the random advice? or just go to the random questions topic and ask there?

GTA 360
  • GTA 360

• Members

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE (vertical limit @ Thursday, Feb 16 2012, 19:55)

There is no F13, to see your computer specs you do something else.

vertical limit
  • vertical limit

When in doubt don't pull out.

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:58 AM

QUOTE (GTA 360 @ Thursday, Feb 16 2012, 21:21)
QUOTE (vertical limit @ Thursday, Feb 16 2012, 19:55)

There is no F13, to see your computer specs you do something else.

Look down on your keyboard and press the god damned button!!

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:38 AM

What keyboard? Hot keys can include ENTER key, ESC key and SPACE BAR! It's surprising we forget these things!

Also read in PC World, typically reviewing PAY to play software, but they did throw in some free ones, you might want to check out a new challenger to CCleaner called SlimCleaner IIRC, it's got a pro GUI interface and it's free!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users