Photo

Map Size

548 replies to this topic
Lewligan
  • Lewligan

Bell End

• Members

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE (HOAXi @ Tuesday, May 1 2012, 06:48)
I hope the map is insanely big, 10-20 real time hours across. I'm not really into the mission thing, though it's a great story and worth playing. I care more for a bigger world to explore and lots of things to do in it. Even if some of the missions are 10-15 real time hours long, it would make them more fun, for me at leased, as long as it is possible to save a few times and to abandon a mission if you want to do something else. For instance, you start as a small time crook. The distances are very local and missions are short. The bigger you get the more likely it is that you have to travel greater distances as your connections are more wide spread.

But I doubt V is anywhere near that. I can imagine it's between twice and twice and a half the size of IV, which wasn't really that big.

A massive map would be great... but I think the scale you have mentioned is slightly "OTT".

I'm a big fan of exploring the map and soaking up everything it has to offer, but I don't want them to focus too much time on "cramming the map" instead of making the story something special.

After all, the story is the main attraction (at least for most of us, I'm guessing) and that will be what the game is ultimately judged on.

Seen some great threads so far though (only my first post) about aviation, new extras, missions etc. and can only hope that there is someone at R* taking notes. Would be a massive shame to miss out on some of the suggestions that have been posted.

HOAXi
  • HOAXi

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE (Lewligan @ Tuesday, May 1 2012, 10:28)
I hope the map is insanely big, 10-20 real time hours across. I'm not really into the mission thing, though it's a great story and worth playing. I care more for a bigger world to explore and lots of things to do in it. Even if some of the missions are 10-15 real time hours long, it would make them more fun, for me at leased, as long as it is possible to save a few times and to abandon a mission if you want to do something else. For instance, you start as a small time crook. The distances are very local and missions are short. The bigger you get the more likely it is that you have to travel greater distances as your connections are more wide spread.

But I doubt V is anywhere near that. I can imagine it's between twice and twice and a half the size of IV, which wasn't really that big.

A massive map would be great... but I think the scale you have mentioned is slightly "OTT".

I'm a big fan of exploring the map and soaking up everything it has to offer, but I don't want them to focus too much time on "cramming the map" instead of making the story something special.

After all, the story is the main attraction (at least for most of us, I'm guessing) and that will be what the game is ultimately judged on.

Seen some great threads so far though (only my first post) about aviation, new extras, missions etc. and can only hope that there is someone at R* taking notes. Would be a massive shame to miss out on some of the suggestions that have been posted.

Yeah I know. Just daydreaming smile.gif

A map of that size is probably too big but people in LA probably takes trains, buses and taxis often. So there you got the answer... Use transportation, skip the ride and you're there in no time.

... and why not go to the airport and fly when it's too far, for instance LA to San Fransisco.

Lewligan
  • Lewligan

Bell End

• Members

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE (HOAXi @ Tuesday, May 1 2012, 11:10)

A map of that size is probably too big but people in LA probably takes trains, buses and taxis often. So there you got the answer... Use transportation, skip the ride and you're there in no time.

... and why not go to the airport and fly when it's too far, for instance LA to San Fransisco.

All good ideas.. and ye, it would be unreal if they COULD actually be implemented in to the game.

Think it's a lot to ask, but can only dream eh tounge.gif

jesusismyairbag
  • jesusismyairbag

Snitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE (HOAXi @ Tuesday, May 1 2012, 11:10)

lol. could you imagine though, 10-20 HOURS!! haha. thatd be insane. that is actually longer than a small amount of people play this game for. hahahah.

thebestgameever
  • thebestgameever

Playa

• Members

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:23 PM

Although i want a big map, i dont it to be too big ,like JC2.

A map that is 2 or 3 times that of IV but with more environment and still very detailed will be the best option.

A living world >>>>>>>>>>>>> massive empty world.

libertycityfilms
  • libertycityfilms

LCF

• Members

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE (thebestgameever @ Tuesday, May 1 2012, 12:23)
Although i want a big map, i dont it to be too big ,like JC2.

A map that is 2 or 3 times that of IV but with more environment and still very detailed will be the best option.

A living world >>>>>>>>>>>>> massive empty world.

^that

kasparlaks
  • kasparlaks

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:41 PM

I heard somewhere (I believe it's a rumour) that it's 4x GTA IV map.

superhobo666
  • superhobo666

Prankster

• Members

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:55 PM

to those saying it's gonna be the size of TDU2/TDU, i hope it won't be.

R* is famous for detail, a map that size on the current gen consoles (even computers) with R*'s level of quality just would NOT run. they would have to dumb it down and essentially repeat the same four types of ground and plans like TDU2 does.

Lets see something the same size as San Andreas, or a bit bigger. (definitely bigger than IV.)

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:07 PM

Hopefully, it's bigger than RDR's. I'm really hoping to see parts of Mexico, too.

freedom
  • freedom

Trick

• Members

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:00 PM Edited by freedom, 01 May 2012 - 05:24 PM.

QUOTE (TheJustinAllenK @ Tuesday, May 1 2012, 01:14)
QUOTE (freedom @ Monday, Apr 30 2012, 19:32)
GTA4 was not even 6 sq km
RDR was about 12 sq km
SA was over 13 sq km

GTA5 could be anywhere from 12 to 15 sq km.

Imagine GTA4's LC all packed together & another space just, as big, of rural areas.

Pulled those numbers out your ass?

RDR and GTA IV were a lot bigger than that. I should know when it takes me about an ingame day to go from edge of the map to the other on GTA IV and takes me about two days in RDR. SA, I have no idea.

Sorry I noted that down all wrong. I don't know what I was thinking.

It should read

GTA4 is 6 sq miles or 9.7 sq km (actual land space is probably 4 to 5 sq miles or 6.4 to 8 sq km.)
RDR is about 8 sq miles or 12.9 sq km
SA is 13.9 sq miles or 22.4 sq km

grope_4_that_date
  • grope_4_that_date

Future Moderator

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:30 PM

I made this awhile ago, but never bothered finishing it. I think San Andreas will be made up of five districts, each having their own main sections. Los Santos will be a concrete jungle, with it's own themed suburbs (ghettos, beaches, downtown, etc). Then, there will be the coast, which will feature a Malibu-type, beachfront city surrounded by high cliffs. The North of the map will consist of mostly farmland. Migrant workers, wine vineyards, and field nurseries can all be found here, capturing the essence of the California Hills. Passing over the mountains to the east will bring you to the California Desert- a dry and dangerous place where no man wants to be left alone. Here exists restricted government bases, a race track, and miles and miles of sand. The Mojave town center can also be found here, but it is not a recommended tourist destination. Last but not least, GTA5 will feature a rich and aesthetic Forrest, overflowing with wildlife. This location will feature a large lake, bears, "General Richard", and two high, steep mountains.

user posted image

Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:25 AM

QUOTE (freedom @ Tuesday, May 1 2012, 11:00)
GTA4 is 6 sq miles or  9.7 sq km (actual land space is probably 4 to 5 sq miles or 6.4 to 8 sq km.)

If you fit a rectangle around GTA IV the area is 50% water, almost exactly.

The GTA SA is 80% land, 20% water, but in a way it's 100% land because you can explore underwater.

It's about right to say GTA SA's size is GTA IV and RDR (excluding boundary scenery) put together. The total city area of SA and IV is similar.

L.A. Noire is 8 square miles.

HD takes much longer to create than SD. GTA V being as big as GTA SA would be incredible.

73duster
  • 73duster

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:53 AM

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Wednesday, May 2 2012, 03:25)
QUOTE (freedom @ Tuesday, May 1 2012, 11:00)
GTA4 is 6 sq miles or  9.7 sq km (actual land space is probably 4 to 5 sq miles or 6.4 to 8 sq km.)

If you fit a rectangle around GTA IV the area is 50% water, almost exactly.

The GTA SA is 80% land, 20% water, but in a way it's 100% land because you can explore underwater.

It's about right to say GTA SA's size is GTA IV and RDR (excluding boundary scenery) put together. The total city area of SA and IV is similar.

L.A. Noire is 8 square miles.

HD takes much longer to create than SD. GTA V being as big as GTA SA would be incredible.

Excellent observation about comparing the amount of water. Yes, GTAIV was light years better in terms of graphics and physics, but San Andreas scope is still awe inspiring when you take into account when it came out. It still FEELS larger, partly due to what you mentioned, but it was also laid out better. GTAIV was completely urban, and many places looked the same, where in San Andreas, every section felt unique.
San Andreas still holds the title for greatest game ever made in my opinion, and no game has eclipsed the sheer enjoyment i received from the countless hours i have played with it. It also stands at number 1 when it comes to replay value. I give the majority of the credit to the epic map of San Andreas. It was simply like no other place.

Human

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:29 AM

QUOTE (grope_4_that_date @ Tuesday, May 1 2012, 19:30)
I made this awhile ago, but never bothered finishing it. I think San Andreas will be made up of five districts, each having their own main sections. Los Santos will be a concrete jungle, with it's own themed suburbs (ghettos, beaches, downtown, etc). Then, there will be the coast, which will feature a Malibu-type, beachfront city surrounded by high cliffs. The North of the map will consist of mostly farmland. Migrant workers, wine vineyards, and field nurseries can all be found here, capturing the essence of the California Hills. Passing over the mountains to the east will bring you to the California Desert- a dry and dangerous place where no man wants to be left alone. Here exists restricted government bases, a race track, and miles and miles of sand. The Mojave town center can also be found here, but it is not a recommended tourist destination. Last but not least, GTA5 will feature a rich and aesthetic Forrest, overflowing with wildlife. This location will feature a large lake, bears, "General Richard", and two high, steep mountains.

What town is that mojave town supposed to be based off of?

Ayman1337
  • Ayman1337

Underground Gamer

• Members

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:08 PM

but the problem with storylines is that it can lower the lasting appeal! you'll spend too much time focusing on the storyline and once that's outta the way, you start to get bored with the game! I just wanna have fun in an open world game! The missions in the previous GTA games along with the storyline made it feel too linear IMO

Ayman1337
  • Ayman1337

Underground Gamer

• Members

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE (kasparlaks @ Tuesday, May 1 2012, 14:41)

6.8 sq. miles multiplied by 4 equals 27.2 sq miles! Sounds reasonable! I've seen this rumour too! It is the size of LS alone, according to the info. The size of the countryside might be twice the size of the city itself so the size would total 81.6 square miles! For a GTA game, that'll be EPIC! I hope the whole map will be open from the start! Then I don't have to complete all the missions before realising I already explored the map!

kasparlaks
  • kasparlaks

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE (Ayman1337 @ Thursday, May 3 2012, 14:17)

6.8 sq. miles multiplied by 4 equals 27.2 sq miles! Sounds reasonable! I've seen this rumour too! It is the size of LS alone, according to the info. The size of the countryside might be twice the size of the city itself so the size would total 81.6 square miles! For a GTA game, that'll be EPIC! I hope the whole map will be open from the start! Then I don't have to complete all the missions before realising I already explored the map!

Yes. Indeed it would be good if it were opened right after starting the game.

73duster
  • 73duster

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE (Ayman1337 @ Thursday, May 3 2012, 14:08)

but the problem with storylines is that it can lower the lasting appeal! you'll spend too much time focusing on the storyline and once that's outta the way, you start to get bored with the game! I just wanna have fun in an open world game! The missions in the previous GTA games along with the storyline made it feel too linear IMO

I agree. The map and environment is what you are left with after the story, and therefore is the main thing responsible for any replay value. I disagree with the poster who insists that the story is what is most important. I think that the environment has always been the hero in GTA, and it's always been a bonus that the stories are so well written. My interest has always been fixated on the map and environment. I think most people remember Vice City and San Andreas so fondly because of the theme and environment.

freedom
  • freedom

Trick

• Members

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE (Ayman1337 @ Thursday, May 3 2012, 14:17)

27.2 sq miles is a very unrealistic expectation. I mean it would be great, but it's just not going happen. There is not only time constraints, but technical limits as well.

libertycityfilms
  • libertycityfilms

LCF

• Members

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:58 PM

No matter how big the map is,we have to consider the expected graphics of the game,and when we have that (let's say GTA IV + RDR quality) ,then we need to see how much space with such graphics and options and almost everything you can imagine that goes into a game,can a console of this generation support and still be performing with good enough fps...? Now i know that there can be multiple discs and all that but i dont think they are gonna separate the map into lets say 3 discs...maybe storyline or multiplayer,but if you had to switch discs to load the other part of the map (for example) that would get kinda annoying...now im not a expert in programing or console hardware or something like that...but i hope you get my point...i think we can figure out the map size at least as a guess,just by looking at the console limits and the graphics that we expect...together with the obviously multiplied features the game will have compared to GTA IV (even if its not 100% sure).

Dystopia
  • Dystopia

?

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE (grope_4_that_date @ Tuesday, May 1 2012, 19:30)

Finally, someone who speaks English.

Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE (libertycityfilms @ Friday, May 4 2012, 09:58)
No matter how big the map is,we have to consider the expected graphics of the game,and when we have that (let's say GTA IV + RDR quality) ,then we need to see how much space with such graphics and options and almost everything you can imagine that goes into a game,can a console of this generation support and still be performing with good enough fps...? Now i know that there can be multiple discs and all that but i dont think they are gonna separate the map into lets say 3 discs...maybe storyline or multiplayer,but if you had to switch discs to load the other part of the map (for example) that would get kinda annoying...now im not a expert in programing or console hardware or something like that...but i hope you get my point...i think we can figure out the map size at least as a guess,just by looking at the console limits and the graphics that we expect...together with the obviously multiplied features the game will have compared to GTA IV (even if its not 100% sure).

They'll limit the detail to accomodate the hardware. That's why the trailer doesn't look a whole lot sharper than RDR. When it comes to designing a big map, they'll run out of time and ideas before they run out of disc space. The fact they have to limit the amount of detail you can see at once time actually helps the map fit on one disc because there's no point filling the world with high-res textures the console can't fit in memory. That's why the PC version of GTA IV is on multiple discs and the 360 version isn't.

libertycityfilms
  • libertycityfilms

LCF

• Members

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Friday, May 4 2012, 20:10)
QUOTE (libertycityfilms @ Friday, May 4 2012, 09:58)

They'll limit the detail to accomodate the hardware. That's why the trailer doesn't look a whole lot sharper than RDR. When it comes to designing a big map, they'll run out of time and ideas before they run out of disc space. The fact they have to limit the amount of detail you can see at once time actually helps the map fit on one disc because there's no point filling the world with high-res textures the console can't fit in memory. That's why the PC version of GTA IV is on multiple discs and the 360 version isn't.

you are right,my guess with all that in mind would be that the map is 3 times San Andreas...slightly bigger then RDR or LA Noire...

TotesMagotes
  • TotesMagotes

Totes Magotes

• Members

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:49 PM Edited by DirtyHarry44, 04 May 2012 - 09:51 PM.

''The largest and most ambitious game rockstar has created yet''

Notice how it says ''game'' not map. This could mean many things, like the map may be just as big or a little bigger than RDR, but more buildings will be enterable, more surroundings will be interactive, more options with certain activites etc. I would actually prefer this over some incredibly huge map with a bunch of buildings or places that are useless and there for just looks.

That said, i do expect a big map, but not 3X the size of RDR or something like some people have said. I look at Skyrim or Just Cause maps for a lil more accurate comparison. Which is more than enough IMO.

jordanpumah
  • jordanpumah

Time Lord

• Members

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:00 PM

QUOTE (Nigel xD @ Thursday, Mar 8 2012, 14:43)
QUOTE (brandrixco @ Monday, Feb 27 2012, 03:39)
^^ yeah and you want to hear something funny, Fuel is even bigger at 5560 square miles, so that makes the game 13.9 times bigger then just cause 2 and 411.8 times bigger then San andreas XD. It literally takes hours to cross from one side to another.

Haha I never heard of this game.
That's ridiculously awesome.

THIS is what i want to see in gtav. i mean, it ought to take hours to get from one side to the other, unless your in a jet or chopper.

chuckberry04
  • chuckberry04

Thug

• Members

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE (DirtyHarry44 @ Friday, May 4 2012, 21:49)
''The largest and most ambitious game rockstar has created yet''

Notice how it says ''game'' not map. This could mean many things, like the map may be just as big or a little bigger than RDR, but more buildings will be enterable, more surroundings will be interactive, more options with certain activites etc. I would actually prefer this over some incredibly huge map with a bunch of buildings or places that are useless and there for just looks.

That said, i do expect a big map, but not 3X the size of RDR or something like some people have said. I look at Skyrim or Just Cause maps for a lil more accurate comparison. Which is more than enough IMO.

Well, Dan Houser was gonna stick to the press release and he said "Los Santos and a very big map".

So one might assume it's about the map. If they say the largest and most ambitious game and they're talking about GTA it seems rather logic that game is the map and ambitious is the gameplay and features likes enterable buildings and stuff.

roostersrule2
  • roostersrule2

I'm Batman

• Members

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:26 PM

What we need is the map of TES Daggerfall it was the size of great britain. (62,000sq miles approx)

suicidehummer
  • suicidehummer

This post will self destruct in 3... 2... 1...

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:49 PM

Im thinking, what if every building is enterable? Not too unreasonable considering theres much more countryside and less buildings than IV...

MikeMyth
  • MikeMyth

Livin' It Up At The Hotel California

• Members

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:53 PM

In the trailer it showed new areas. And I'm pretty sure R* confirmed that San Andreas, Los Santos and so forth will still be there. I'm guessing it will be the largest map in GTA history, considering SA was the largest. Meaning, since they are adding more area making it even bigger than SA.

Kienz
  • Kienz

Fun Police

• Members

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:04 PM

I think the size of RDR is reasonable :-)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users