Photo

GTA IV / EFLC Rough Surface Texures Issue

11 replies to this topic
gavalin
  • gavalin

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

I need a solution to figure this problem out. Im getting these bad reflective surface textures loading in both Gta IV and EFLC. The only time this doesnt happen is after I turn on my pc which is the only time the game loads fine. If my PC has been turned on for about an hour or so and any programs have been used before I play GTA4 or EFLC, I will always get what you see in the video. There are no mods in the game and its been updated to the latest patch. Im not familiar with these new issues the game is having and in-game settings Im using are moderately high but no big difference what I do to them even after changing video cards. So far this seems to only occur with GTA games while using Nvidia powered cards. Im currently running one MSI N560GTX-TI Twn Frozer II which replaced the monsterous Asus GTX570 direct ctu II. If anyone is familiar with this graphic issue, thinks this is a memory or other issue, please help me with some info! Thanks!

Video

Hardware spec.
Windows XP sp3
Intel Core Quad cpu Q8200 2.33ghz
3.48 GB of Ram
GPU: GeforceGTX560 Ti
2GB GDDR5

sad.gif sad.gif

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

Is this the Retail(DVD) version OR a Downloaded version?
If Downloaded, from where?
If Retail, Is this the Original DVD OR a Copy of the DVD OR a No-DVD crack being used?
Are ALL drivers up to date for the video card, Sound card, DX(meaning you have DX11), etc.?
Have you tried updating to Windows 7, as XP is a little outdated by today's standards?
Is this the first install?
Has the game ever worked right before this?
Have you tried revoking the license, then doing an un-install, delete the rest of the install directory that did not get deleted by the traditional un-install, then re-installing to see if that helps?-it only takes like 10 minutes to complete this process...(do this AFTER updating all drivers)...

Please answer ALL the above questions from the Pinned Troubleshooting topic so we can better help you...

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:57 PM

Clean the GPU drivers, since you're on XP that may do the trick.

gavalin
  • gavalin

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE (radioman @ Monday, Feb 6 2012, 18:15)
Is this the Retail(DVD) version OR a Downloaded version?
If Downloaded, from where?
If Retail, Is this the Original DVD OR a Copy of the DVD OR a No-DVD crack being used?
Are ALL drivers up to date for the video card, Sound card, DX(meaning you have DX11), etc.?
Have you tried updating to Windows 7, as XP is a little outdated by today's standards?
Is this the first install?
Has the game ever worked right before this?
Have you tried revoking the license, then doing an un-install, delete the rest of the install directory that did not get deleted by the traditional un-install, then re-installing to see if that helps?-it only takes like 10 minutes to complete this process...(do this AFTER updating all drivers)...

Please answer ALL the above questions from the Pinned Troubleshooting topic so we can better help you...

Thanks to Radioman. Here is what I can tell you:

1 Both Gta4 and EFLC are Download versions

2 Direct2drive

3 --

4 The video card driver is not up to date. After several attempts to update it failed, I quit trying and kept the original display and sound drivers from the packed rom. Problem has been that the installer will fail before completing the installation of either versions nvidia 275.33 or 285.58 display drivers. I also tried this in safe mode to no avail. No, DX11 is not installed and none of my other games use it.

5 I would have to do a clean install of windows 7, Id like to try it out but Im not prepared for that yet so it can wait.

6 No, Ive performed numerous installs on this pc with an older retail copy that always worked but the recent downloads of both these games have never been reinstalled since I bought the msi card. I can think of only one occasion where the downloads were reinstalled 1 year ago, but this was because the operating system was freshly reinstalled.

7 The game works normally upon turning on the pc if its only the first thing I do. It wont load properly if I run other programs or games first. And upon turning on and GTA has been running fine it still goes back to the condition shown in my video link after less than 2 hours of play. The same problem occurred with the previous card I mentioned before it was replaced.

8 No. I have not tried to revoke or uninstall either game, This is the next thing Ill try to see if it affects anything.

I would really like to know what will result once I updated the video card drivers but thats likely not going to be an option for this.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

I would really like to know what will result once I updated the video card drivers but thats likely not going to be an option for this.

In that case, problem solved.

gavalin
  • gavalin

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE (mkey82 @ Tuesday, Feb 7 2012, 11:51)

In that case, problem solved.

The driver sweeper program in your link is no longer available, unless you know of another?

Ive already tried the driver uninstall steps myself to update them several times in safe mode but with out any special sweeper programs like the one you suggested. The installer would not complete the driver installation no matter what I did so I had to continue using the default display drivers.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:59 PM

This one should be working http://www.guru3d.co.../driversweeper/
Don't forget to boot in safe mode and reboot once again when you're done.

Which error do you get when installing new drivers? And where did you get the driver package from?

gavalin
  • gavalin

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE (mkey82 @ Tuesday, Feb 7 2012, 18:59)
This one should be working http://www.guru3d.co.../driversweeper/
Don't forget to boot in safe mode and reboot once again when you're done.

Which error do you get when installing new drivers? And where did you get the driver package from?

Yes that is the location I went to for the driver. The guru 3d's site says its no longer offering downloads for the utility. Also by what im seeing in the Driver Sweeper Guru3d.com Forumsforums it looks as though usage of the latest version of the utility 2.60 had been pulled some time in 2010 first. Now any links referring to the previous versions (2.1) for download eventually lead you back here: http://downloads.gur.....p)_d1655.html

The warning in red goes:
"Attention - Guru3D Driver Sweeper has been discontinued as such you will not find any download links here any longer"

Guru3D isnt going to help anyone with its utility anytime soon.

If i remember correctly, the installer loads up its files but stops the action before finally installing all 3 drivers. Some thing like "Driver installation cannot continue" with the white "X" on red circle.

Just to be sure I looked at it again. This morning I played the game fine as soon as the pc turns on and after about an hour, I pause and hit ctrl-esc to taskbar to go online. After surfing and running a few you tube videos I close and return to the game and it reverted to the same reflective crappy textures. What exactly is happening?

gavalin
  • gavalin

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

I found this new driver cleaner utility called DRIVER CLEANER PRO which might do the trick. Ill report if it worked and newest drivers install after the clean wipe. Just to be sure ill be doing all this in safe mode.

http://www.download3...ofessional.html

SNAKE DOC
  • SNAKE DOC

\o/

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:19 AM

Driver Sweeper 3.2.0.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:20 PM

You're obviously having a corrupt driver installation problem and that's reflecting on the game. You probably need to remove all traces of old GPU drivers and then install the new ones. If that doesn't work, you'll probably be able to install the new driver manually.

gavalin
  • gavalin

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:47 PM Edited by gavalin, 25 April 2012 - 05:49 PM.

Ive found a simple solution to the corrupt graphics and texture problem! My problem was not due to a bad card or driver issues even when it refused to update. However after I did manage to update the video drivers and the game in windows 7 on the same computer I still had the same problems in game. Since upgrading my system from XPsp3 to w732, I found the memory availability issue that was plaguing the system persisted in windows 7 while running this particular game. No longer a graphics issue so, boosting the system memory use to 3gb for all programs in general did the trick and the game now runs smoothly w/o graphics glitches or low frame rates. Here is a link to getting this done on all windows systems. http://usa.autodesk....&linkID=9240697

Solution

To enable the 3GB switch on Windows Vista™ or Windows 7:

Right-click Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu. Click Run as Administrator.
At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072"
Restart the computer.

To disable the 3GB switch:

Right-click on Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu. Click Run as Administrator.
At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /deletevalue IncreaseUserVa"
Restart the computer.

Thanks to all who tried to help out, it took some time to figure out but I hope this solves the same texture issues anyone else may be having in their game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users