Photo

Upgrading My PC

27 replies to this topic
SNAKE DOC
  • SNAKE DOC

\o/

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:14 AM Edited by cornflakes4u, 05 February 2012 - 09:19 AM.

Hello good people. I'm very satisfied with the CPU you guys recommended to me a while back but now I'm back for some more recommendations.

I'm on the search for a new motherboard, CPU and RAM. Maybe a small SSD disk as well. My budget is 1000 ($1315, 831). I'll locate the parts in a web-shop based in my country, so feel free to find part s from any site.

Edit: I need at least 8GB of RAM as I'm using several programs which benefits from larger amounts of RAM.

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Helpfulness Award
    Helpfulness Award [Technology]

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:36 AM

I'd wait few months till Ivy Bridge CPUs are released.

Or, if you have to upgrade right avay, get i7-2600k, ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 or ASUS P67 Sabertooth mobo, and a Crucial M4 64/128GB SSD. As for the RAM - any 1600MHz CL9 2x4Gb will do, though avoid RAM with large heatsinks.

SNAKE DOC
  • SNAKE DOC

\o/

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:21 AM

Thanks for the quick reply!

I forgot to mention that I'm most likely going to overclock the CPU. Are those motherboards overclocking-friendly? I'm asking because my current one is not.

I'll wait until next month to see if any release dates are set for the new CPU's.

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:22 AM

Sure, all of these mobos have very good OC capabilities.

I'm pretty sure that Ivy Bridge are scheduled to be released by the start of April.

SNAKE DOC
  • SNAKE DOC

\o/

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:41 AM

Great! I think I'll just go for Sandy Bridge as I'm not very patient and after reading a thread about the new chips it seems the difference wont be that big (I could be wrong).

Is there any significant difference between a i7-2600k and i7-2700k? By the looks of it the latter has 100MHz more for an additional 20. Would that just be a waste of money as I'm going to overclock it anyway?

With the parts you recommended (ASUS Sabertooth P67 & Corsair Dominator DHX DDR3 1600MHz 12GB) I still have about 130 to spend. Is there anything I should add?

Thanks again for your quick reply!

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

If you're an overclocker, then there is absolutely no point in paying those 20 extra. wink.gif

And another thing - I'd get 16GBs or 8GBs of RAM. 12GBs (I suppose it's a 3x4GB set) will work in Single Channel mode. it's not a big deal, but still.

SNAKE DOC
  • SNAKE DOC

\o/

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:45 AM

I see. You're right, it's 3x4GB. I will go for 16GB instead then. Thanks a ton for your assistance! *Sends tons of e-cookies your way*

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

Not much since in waiting for Ivy Bridge anyway. Other than a slight CPU performance increase and supporting DDR3 1600 the biggest difference between Sandy and Ivy is that the GPU gets a big upgrade.

What programs are you running that need a lot of RAM?
If you're doing something that will be CPU intensive, more than just gaming, so I mean serious CPU intensive then you might want to look at the Socket2011 line. For gaming they are not better than the Socket 1155, however for doing serious CPU processing like encoding videos, working with 3D models, compressing large files and so on the 2011 is a much better chip. Although it is more expensive and as it is now it's a small niche group. You know about the Core2Duo/Quad and there was the Extreme versions of those. The 2011 is the Extreme version of the 1155.

SNAKE DOC
  • SNAKE DOC

\o/

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:44 PM

Thanks for that info. Mainly Vegas Pro 11 would benefit with a lot of RAM. I do encode videos and such indeed, however the computer is mainly for gaming so I'll stick with Socket 1155.

Other than a slight CPU performance increase and supporting DDR3 1600 the biggest difference between Sandy and Ivy is that the GPU gets a big upgrade

Does this mean that the i7-2600k does not support DDR3 1600 at all?

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:18 AM

Not natively. Basically that means when you put DDR3 1600 stick in and let the mobo auto detect the settings it'll use 1333, which is fine no big deal. But if you want it to run at that speed you'll have to "overclock" it in the BIOS.

SNAKE DOC
  • SNAKE DOC

\o/

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:28 AM

Thanks for the explanation. I plan on overclocking the CPU so I suppose it's no big deal that it doesn't support it natively.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:48 AM

The differences between 1333 and 1600 really only show up in benchmarks. As a gamer the most you might see is ever so slightly faster load times. For encoding video you might see, just a guess, around 5 secs faster encoding times.

SNAKE DOC
  • SNAKE DOC

\o/

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:45 AM

That's good to know. After reading through some articles and forum posts about the matter I've come to the conclusion that getting 1600MHz RAM is better considering I'm planning to overclock. And those estimated slightly faster loading times and faster encoding times seals the deal for me.

SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:41 AM

Every suggestion by yojo and Wolf68k has been spot-on. Go with what they are telling you, you won't regret it. 2600K is a BIG upgrade from the Q9550, and you'll be at the top of the gaming charts with it for at least another 2-3 years. As far as encoding and stuff, again, HUGE upgrade from the Q9550.

As for RAM, get 1600MHz RAM at CAS 8 or 9. 2600K fully supports 1600MHz RAM, you'll just have to manually set it. 1600MHz is by far the sweet spot as far as price/performance for the 2600K.

SNAKE DOC
  • SNAKE DOC

\o/

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:47 AM

Thanks for the input. Can't wait to get the new parts and test how beast it is and also to see how far I can overclock the CPU. smile.gif

SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:00 AM Edited by SyphonPayne, 06 February 2012 - 07:28 AM.

Here's my specs biggrin.gif .

SNAKE DOC
  • SNAKE DOC

\o/

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:29 AM

POWERFUL! Out of curiosity; how well does GTA IV run on your system? (I'm assuming it runs best with SLI disabled.)

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

Intel has designed their last two motherboard chipsets to support caching between HDD and SDD while the computer is running tasks, the benefit is that you can make one drive from a smaller, more affordable SDD tied to a traditional HDD using the method.

As noted in another thread, new OS from MS also offer the option to use a new, empty USB drive as additional memory (dynamic in nature) as you're computing, you can still use those thumb drives to store in the standard method, using Windows to store data to a USB drive doesn't permanently change it's attributes, which I find VERY nice, my Acer does it

SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE (cornflakes4u @ Monday, Feb 6 2012, 03:29)
POWERFUL! Out of curiosity; how well does GTA IV run on your system? (I'm assuming it runs best with SLI disabled.)

It performs very well. I previously had a Q6600 @ 3.2GHz, with a single GTX 560 Ti. It ran at about 35 FPS on average. I upgraded to the 2600K, immediately cranked it to 4.3GHz, tested in Prime95 etc., then ran GTA IV. 60FPS average with Vsync on! I'm talking about in the actual game too, not that useless "benchmark." GTA IV actually runs "OK" with SLI enabled. No extra performance, but I do have it enabled.

Here's a vid of Crysis maxed out on my rig, which definitely benefits from SLI:

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:36 PM Edited by Slamman, 06 February 2012 - 09:39 PM.

I have been pouring over several PC magazines as I brought up, covering a number of years, and the other night an article on SLI issues with nVidia shows their own dialog popup, if you have one card, and you go to SLi, will the same driver then add SLI in your device manager for required options tooled around dual cards? I'd be new to this, so it's of interest.

CERTAIN members don't like YouTube as a reference, not naming names, but I saw some SLI examples where they claim you CAN max out GTA IV on such setups, I'm really hoping to see improvements in mine, once I have a board with more then one PCIe slot
I know how behind the times I am, but I simply cannot afford hundreds in PC parts, since I'm trying to resuscitate my PS3 gaming as well

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:11 PM

Off topic and I apologies to cornflakes4u for it.

@Slamman
I have no problem with YT, schmuck. It's you that I have the problem with. 2 random questions you asked them to make and post a youtube video of their problem when it's not needed. Plus you, as you like to say, shill youtube ever chance you get.

Now to answer your question; well yeah obviously the same drivers are used to run both cards for SLI. If you started out with just one card and add the second later you might have to reinstall the drivers but other than that it'll still support the same card. Hell you can run 2 cards from nVidia that aren't even in the same GPU line and the same drivers will be used on both, however the cards cannot be run in SLI mode, the best you can do in this case is run one as "the" graphics card while the other acts as the PhysX card...down side here is that there is only small handful of games that support PhysX.

SNAKE DOC
  • SNAKE DOC

\o/

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:39 AM

QUOTE (SyphonPayne @ Monday, Feb 6 2012, 22:15)

It performs very well. I previously had a Q6600 @ 3.2GHz, with a single GTX 560 Ti. It ran at about 35 FPS on average. I upgraded to the 2600K, immediately cranked it to 4.3GHz, tested in Prime95 etc., then ran GTA IV. 60FPS average with Vsync on! I'm talking about in the actual game too, not that useless "benchmark." GTA IV actually runs "OK" with SLI enabled. No extra performance, but I do have it enabled.

That's awesome. That just proves how CPU-dependent GTA IV is.

The Crysis gameplay looks smooth as silk!

@Slamman: That's some interesting news. Though, after reading about it I'm still going for the ASUS P67 due to the fact that it's more overclocking-friendly than for instance a Z68.

@Wolf68k: I don't mind. I got the answers I needed. biggrin.gif

SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:07 AM

QUOTE (cornflakes4u @ Monday, Feb 6 2012, 19:39)
QUOTE (SyphonPayne @ Monday, Feb 6 2012, 22:15)

That's awesome. That just proves how CPU-dependent GTA IV is.

The Crysis gameplay looks smooth as silk!

@Slamman: That's some interesting news. Though, after reading about it I'm still going for the ASUS P67 due to the fact that it's more overclocking-friendly than for instance a Z68.

@Wolf68k: I don't mind. I got the answers I needed. biggrin.gif

Hmm? Where did you hear that Z68 wasn't overclocking-friendly? Z68 is basically P67 an H67 combined to allow overclocking and utilization of the integrated graphics. Maybe you're confusing Z68 with H67?

Anyway, P67 is cheaper generally, and if you don't plan on using the integrated graphics (Quick Sync) or SSD caching it is a viable option against Z68.

http://www.hardwarec...rm-expands.html

QUOTE (Slamman @ Monday, Feb 6 2012, 15:36)
I have been pouring over several PC magazines as I brought up, covering a number of years, and the other night an article on SLI issues with nVidia shows their own dialog popup, if you have one card, and you go to SLi, will the same driver then add SLI in your device manager for required options tooled around dual cards? I'd be new to this, so it's of interest.

CERTAIN members don't like YouTube as a reference, not naming names, but I saw some SLI examples where they claim you CAN max out GTA IV on such setups, I'm really hoping to see improvements in mine, once I have a board with more then one PCIe slot
I know how behind the times I am, but I simply cannot afford hundreds in PC parts, since I'm trying to resuscitate my PS3 gaming as well

Yeah, all it takes is adding the second card, hooking up the power (better have a good enough PSU,) hooking up the SLI bridge, and booting up. If the first card was already installed properly, the second card will install automatically, using the exact same video driver as the first card. Then, in the NVIDIA Control Panel, options for enabling/disabling SLI show up, and you can set it to either be on/off completely, or just set it on a per-program basis. Very simple.

SNAKE DOC
  • SNAKE DOC

\o/

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:54 AM

From reading this thread (specifically the posts by 'madchemist83' and 'jaquith').

If overclocking is no issue on the Z68 I might go for it instead, given that it has the SSD caching feature ' Slamman ' brought up earlier.

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:21 AM

Well, do you plan to use SSD caching at all? IMHO it seems a bit like pointless feature, since it basically disallows you to use SSD in a normal manner, and the effects are far from spectacular.

SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE (cornflakes4u @ Tuesday, Feb 7 2012, 01:54)
From reading this thread (specifically the posts by 'madchemist83' and 'jaquith').

If overclocking is no issue on the Z68 I might go for it instead, given that it has the SSD caching feature ' Slamman ' brought up earlier.

Yeah my 2600K which I have @ 4.3 is on the GA-Z68X-UD5. Ironically my mobo doesn't have Quick Sync. Good thing I have a Sandy Bridge laptop for that!

As for SSD caching though, it's only beneficial if you have a tiny SSD. I have 2 40GB Intel SSDs and I don't use SSD caching because just putting the entire OS on the SSD is actually faster. If you get any SSD that's 40GB or larger I'd say I wouldn't even bother to use SSD caching.

So it's basically all down to what you can afford, and whether or not you want/need Quick Sync. If you want Quick Sync, go Z68, if you don't care about Quick Sync, go P67.

Here's an article on Quick Sync:

http://www.anandtech...3-2100-tested/9

Keep in mind you must use software that is compatible with Quick Sync (I use Cyberlink MediaExpresso.)

As for the guy that says P67 gets a better gaming frame rate and SATA, that's pure baloney.

SNAKE DOC
  • SNAKE DOC

\o/

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:38 AM

QUOTE (yojo2 @ Tuesday, Feb 7 2012, 10:21)
Well, do you plan to use SSD caching at all? IMHO it seems a bit like pointless feature, since it basically disallows you to use SSD in a normal manner, and the effects are far from spectacular.

I was planning to use it but now it does seem a bit pointless as you and ' SyphonPayne ' mention.

@SyphonPayne: Thanks for the link. I most likely won't be using Quick Sync so I I'll just go for the P67.

Thank you all for your advises and information.

N0STurboMAX
  • N0STurboMAX

GTA San Andreas Expert Modder

• Members

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:03 PM

QUOTE (cornflakes4u @ Sunday, Feb 5 2012, 09:14)
Hello good people. I'm very satisfied with the CPU you guys recommended to me a while back but now I'm back for some more recommendations.

I'm on the search for a new motherboard, CPU and RAM. Maybe a small SSD disk as well. My budget is 1000 ($1315, 831). I'll locate the parts in a web-shop based in my country, so feel free to find part s from any site.

Edit: I need at least 8GB of RAM as I'm using several programs which benefits from larger amounts of RAM.

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus IV Gen-Z/Gen3 Intel Z68

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k. If you could, an Intel Core i7 2600k. And even if you could do better, your best option will be an Intel Core i7 2700k.

RAM: Corsair Vengance 8GB DDR3.

That should be enough.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users