» «
Photo

Looking for paint...

3 replies to this topic
leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

The boatman stays with the boat.

• Members

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:04 AM Edited by leik oh em jeez!, 05 February 2012 - 06:27 AM.

So as most of you probably know I've been planning to paint my 97 Suburban Green and White. I finally got my $1800 so now I've got the funds to do it. I've painted a lot of smaller stuff using various methods, just never a car, or with a full size spray gun.
I've already found 3/4 gallon of Wimbledon White for the side. (That should be enough, right?)
Now for the green I'm having a little bit of trouble. I really like Porsche's Irish Green, though I wouldn't mind something a tad darker and with a bit of metallic. First of all, I've been unable to find anywhere that sells 2-stage Irish Green paint online.

Second, I was considering getting 2 quarts or so of GM's Dark Green Metallic (popular on NBS Z71 Tahoes) to mix in with the Irish green to get the color to exactly what I want. Has anyone had any experience mixing metallic and non-metallic paint? I've done it when restoring 1/64 scale cars and it turned out nice, but does that translate well to a large scale? Also having trouble finding anywhere that sells GM Dark Green Metallic. confused.gif

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit:
This is how I'll be painting it, but in green with white down the side. How much paint should I need total?
user posted image

visionist
  • visionist

Eat A Peach For Hours

• Members

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

I've never sprayed a car, but I'd like to make some stylistic observations about the finish you're going for.

I'd make sure to colour-code the door handles (so white to match the side) and maybe consider colour-coding the front grille surround also. Would look sportier. The chrome front bumper is too cool to spray; is the rub strip plastic or rubber? You could spray it green also. Finish the look with some white tyreart maybe:

-Click-

My two Pence.

Warlord.
  • Warlord.

:O

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

I don't have any input on the paint, but lemme just say that this gen is my favourite Suburban.

I'd love to have a 1999 GMC Suburban fully loaded with the 7.4. inlove.gif

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

The boatman stays with the boat.

• Members

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:21 AM

QUOTE (Warlord. @ Monday, Mar 5 2012, 05:43)
I don't have any input on the paint, but lemme just say that this gen is my favourite Suburban.

I'd love to have a 1999 GMC Suburban fully loaded with the 7.4. inlove.gif

Thanks. I'd like to get this one back to being in like new condition. If I find a donor motor (Duramax or 6bt) for it before I finally get around to painting it, I might just strip the entire truck down and do it right.

@visionist: I wasn't really going for a sporty look. However I was planning on buying a set of BFG All Terrains and running the white letters on the outside. Always loved the white letters, especially on black wheels.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users