53 replies to this topic
Attorney General
  • Attorney General

psychonaut

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:19 AM

user posted image

Sunday's big game is approaching, and we'll all have an opportunity to see one of the greatest spectacles in modern sports...the Super Bowl. It's a staple for even the most casual sports fans. Whether you tune in for the commercials, the halftime show (Madonna this year confused.gif , hopefully someone pulls out a titty a la Janet Jackson to spice things up a little) or just the game itself...one thing holds true...that the Super Bowl more than just a game...it's an event!

This year's game features the New England Patriots and the New York Giants in a rematch of the 2007 Super Bowl when the Giants stopped the Pats from going a perfect 19-0. This only adds to the many subplots going into the game. Here's a quick look at their respective roads to the Super Bowl..

New England

2011/2012 Record

Stats and Season Leaders

New York

2011/2012 Record

Stats and Season Leaders

At this point, New England is a 3 point favorite, but it seems like most of the people I'm talking to are leaning toward the G-Men. The Giants certainly seem to have momentum and have looked, at times, unbeatable. Their D is clicking on all cylinders and Eli and his two stud receivers are playing their best football all season. As the Giants themselves proved in 2007, Brady can be rattled.. and if you pressure him enough throughout the game to make him consistently uncomfortable, he may make a mistake or two. New York certainly has the big guns to do it with guys like Tuck, JPP, Umenyiora, Kiwanuka, etc. My guess is that they'll be pinning their ears back all night and gunning for sacks.

The Pats, on the other hand, have a notoriously shaky secondary that seems susceptible to big plays...and there's no one in the league right now that's better at cracking off a big one than Victor Cruz. However, anchored by superhuman Vince Wilfork, the Pats' defensive line has been playing lights out in the playoffs thus far. It'll be intriguing to see if they can get one more big game out of their inexperienced and limited D. Rob Gronkowski's health is also a major concern, and he's officially listed as questionable right now but my guess is unless they have to amputate...he'll play.

So yeah, figured we should get a dedicated topic going for this. Share your plans to watch the game, predictions, thoughts, whatever...and let's hope we get an awesome game.

Nick Foster
  • Nick Foster

I like bagels. They're better than you.

• Members

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:01 PM

I think the Giants are a more complete team than the Patriots. The Giants front 4 is amazing, and I don't think the Pats' Offensive Line can hold them consistently. The G-Men have a good linebacking core and secondary, so expect the defense to be stout. On the other side of the ball, Eli Manning is just incredible with so many weapons. Victor Cruz, Hakeem Nicks, Mario Manningham, Jake Ballard, etc. Their running game is solid too with the smaller, faster back Bradshaw, and the brute power back Jacobs. The Patriots' offense is really good, but I don't think they're as complete as the Giants.

Icarus
  • Icarus

[C9] Orthonormal

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:10 PM Edited by Icarus, 04 February 2012 - 06:15 PM.

I try to keep up with NFL as much as I can, but with 32 teams, it's hard to know all the details about them (whereas with CFL, there's eight teams, so it's easy to know all the info, ha). tounge.gif

With that said, I don't really have a preferred favourite to win tomorrow. I know quite a few of my friends want the Giants to win and a guy I work with at the university wants New England to win, mainly because he's from Wisconsin and he was mad Green Bay got beat out by the giants (and a bit crushed they didn't get a perfect season, since they had a good start). I think another reason a lot of people I know want the Giants to win is because they despise Tom Brady and think he's a whiny bitch.

Last year's halftime show was okay (Fergie singing Sweet Child O' Mine made me want to render myself deaf), so hopefully it will be a little better this year, even if Madonna is the main act and she's getting old. Hopefully whoever they get to sing The Star-Spangled Banner actually knows the words. Hell, I'm not even American and I know the words to the anthem, so there's no excuse for a performer.

[EDIT] As for plans, I'm going to watch the game at a friend's house. He's a dedicated football fan; he knows everything about the NFL and the Division I NCAA football (he went to Vanderbilt back in the 70s, so he's a big fan of them). In fact, he had a huge party for the game Vanderbilt had against Cincinnati on New Year's Eve, so I can imagine how sweet his Super Bowl party shall be.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:55 PM

Can't wait for the game. As a Giants supporter, it would be so great to beat the Pats again!
It would also be pretty interesting if they win, as Eli would have more rings than Peyton and would win his advantage ring at Peyton's home!
All in all, should be a pretty excellent game.

stu
  • stu

I'm finished.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:57 PM

I have a casual interest in NFL, my favourite team is actually the Colts. I don't follow it that much, but I always make sure to watch the Super Bowl. It doesn't finish until about 4am here, and I have to get up at 7 so it had better bloody well be a good 'un. And Madonna is doing the half time show is she? Well she can't do worse than the Black Eyed Peas last year they were awful.

Twang.
  • Twang.

No greater good, no just cause.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:38 PM

Finding it hard to get excited about this one. I hate the Patriots (but have a lot of respect for their players and Belichick), and don't care a whole lot for the Giants either. That on top of the "we just saw this game 4 years ago" aspect leaves me a bit disappointed. My initial reaction is to pull for the Giants, though there are a few things that make me not want them to win, but I'll probably root for them in the end anyway.

And f*ck you, I like Madonna. mad.gif

Scarface187
  • Scarface187

Putting out the fire with gasoline.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:25 AM

Being a Chargers fan that isn't really that big a football guy otherwise who lives in New England and has a father that lives in NY, I am pulling for the Giants. I always go with the underdog and I'm just sick of hearing about the Patriots. Can't stand Tom Brady.

SlickSpencer8
  • SlickSpencer8

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:08 AM

Hmmm. Weird that my post got deleted for no apparent reason. sarcasm.gif

So let me try this again. The New England will Kick the Giants As*

Forty
  • Forty

he shouts stroke darker the strings

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:21 AM

Since the general NFL discussion topic is locked, and in the spirit of celebrating all things football this weekend, here's something funny.

user posted image

This is one of the gayest things I've ever seen. It's like if Brett Favre were in Brokeback Mountain.

Somebody put a caption to this.

Marlowe.
  • Marlowe.

I Still Jerk-off Manually

• Members

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:59 PM

Ooh, ooh. I have a (pathetic) caption:
"Go long, Jesus!" - Tebow overthrows Jesus by ten yards.

It's a bit of a metaphor, as well, for his misguidedness by gayly modelling underwear with jeans on. tounge.gif

@Super Bowl: I'll take the Patriots 31-27. Neither team plays particularly good pass defence. It'll be a battle QBs, and to put it simply: Brady> Manning.

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:06 PM

I'm looking forward to the actual game, but I'll probably switch off just before the end because it'll mean that one of these two teams will win.

Funktipus
  • Funktipus

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:56 PM

It's all about the Giants front four. They have to do to Brady what they did in Super Bowl XLII.

Xboxless
  • Xboxless

Gangsta

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (Marlowe. @ Sunday, Feb 5 2012, 12:59)
Ooh, ooh. I have a (pathetic) caption:
"Go long, Jesus!" - Tebow overthrows Jesus by ten yards.

It's a bit of a metaphor, as well, for his misguidedness by gayly modelling underwear with jeans on. tounge.gif

@Super Bowl: I'll take the Patriots 31-27. Neither team plays particularly good pass defence. It'll be a battle QBs, and to put it simply: Brady> Manning.

Brady - G-Mens Pass rush = Eli + Pats terrible secondary.

It's even in my eyes. As far as who I want to win, I have no idea. I'm not to big into this one mainly because the Texans actually had a chance this year and it just turns you off. I also don't care too much for either team.

I'll say go Giants, I like them a little better.

Chaise
  • Chaise

Packers Fan.

• Members

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:46 PM

I don't really care who wins the superbowl at all this year, still gonna watch it though.

I think Patriots are gonna win, but it could go either way at this point though, they're very evenly matched all across the board.

and what's up with the 5 hour long pregame show? The pregame show is longer than the game itself lol.

Game is less than 2 hours away now, time to get the chips and dip out cool.gif

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:56 PM

I'll be doing my yearly ritual of trying to figure out what the f*ck is going on and generally getting frustrated. I do think I've overestimated my ability stay up all night while sober though, doesn't finish 'til 4am here. I flipped a coin and I'm rooting for the Giants though.

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

The Number of the Beast

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:01 PM

I'm f*cking tired as sh*t but I'm determined to see this game to the end. I'm backing the Giants; Eli Manning seems like a nice fella, whereas Brady straight dissed the hometown of my adopted NFL team (that's right, I support Buffalo. Problem!?)

hambones
  • hambones

Every Inch A King

• Members

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:25 PM Edited by hambones, 05 February 2012 - 11:24 PM.

I still hold a grudge against brady and the pats for when they beat the rams in the super bowl, that and I just have a general dislike for them. With that said I'm only rooting for the giants because f*ck tom brady. Would have preferred to see the 49ers go to the super bowl, but it is what it is.

Lelouch vi Britannia
  • Lelouch vi Britannia

Zero

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:08 PM

Patriots all the way

Straznicy
  • Straznicy

Laugh at your problems

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Scotland

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:23 PM

'mon the Patriots. Not working til the afternoon tomorrow, so I can finally watch a whole SuperBowl!

OchyGTA
  • OchyGTA

Rap game GTA forums

• Members

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:26 PM

Looking forward to this one. I've got a feeling the Giants will win this won, I think Manning will thrive of the pressure. Got beer in the fridge so I'm set colgate.gif

JoeyLeone25
  • JoeyLeone25

AMF Elder

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:53 PM

Touchdown Giants baby! It look's like, weirdly enough, that the Patriots are feeling the pressure so far, conceeding a safety and then a schoolboy error by having an extra man on the pitch. Beautiful little dance from Victor Cruz in the end-zone as well...

Mockage
  • Mockage

Fljótavík

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:06 AM

Can't be arsed to watch the halftime show.

Great tackle by Fletcher, btw.

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:10 AM

Madonna shuffling was kinda hilarious, in a good way. Needs more MIA though.

That Pierre-Paul has the reflexes of a cat. That f*cking tackle was immense.

Stripes1981
  • Stripes1981

Trick

• Members

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:12 AM

Anybody know who won PuppyBowl VIII?

JoeyLeone25
  • JoeyLeone25

AMF Elder

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:18 AM

QUOTE (Robinski @ Monday, Feb 6 2012, 02:10)
Madonna shuffling was kinda hilarious, in a good way. Needs more MIA though.

That Pierre-Paul has the reflexes of a cat. That f*cking tackle was immense.

It is piss poor to be honest, until...she whipped out the big one! By this I must reiterate that I'm not referring to the crap song involving Sacha Baron Cohen, but the classic that is: Like A Prayer. Now, after 30 minutes we go back with the scores almost even and somebody looking from SuperBowl glory...Should be fun!

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

The Number of the Beast

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:19 AM

So. f*cking. Tired.

Fell asleep for that Pats TD lol.gif

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:21 AM

Is this where you guys have all those multil-million dollar ads? 'Cos the BBC feed just has a load of montages from the NFL teams I've never heard or cared about set to overly dramatic music playing at the moment.

Marlowe.
  • Marlowe.

I Still Jerk-off Manually

• Members

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:33 AM

I'm content on my decision to pick the Patriots. Brady is just methodical.

lkkarus
  • lkkarus

Trick

• D1RTY12
  • Canada

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:41 AM

17 unanswered, dagger.

Nick Foster
  • Nick Foster

I like bagels. They're better than you.

• Members

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:50 AM

QUOTE (Robinski @ Sunday, Feb 5 2012, 17:21)
Is this where you guys have all those multil-million dollar ads? 'Cos the BBC feed just has a load of montages from the NFL teams I've never heard or cared about set to overly dramatic music playing at the moment.

It costs 3 million dollars for a 15 second spot during the super bowl. This is where the companies usually dish out their best ads. If you can't see them on TV just look it up on youtube after the game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users