Photo

Unlimited ammo Minigun

19 replies to this topic
Sucha84
  • Sucha84

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:22 AM

I accidentally found some deatils about an unlimited ammo minigun that can be got from mission "Up, Up and Away". However, a jet pack must be used. It is found from wikipedia for GTA SA. Here it is:

Trivia:

A special minigun with unlimited ammo is there, but a jetpack must be used to obtain it. First, use the jetpack until the game instructs you to use the gun emplacement. DO NOT REMOVE THE JETPACK. Then go to the red circle where it will show "Press RETURN to use." Use it even if the jetpack is still on. After using it, you will find yourself with a hand-held minigun with infinite ammo.

Link: http://gta.wikia.com/Up,_Up_and_Away!

Is this true? Have anyone had an experience with this? It almost can't believe.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

Chain Game Development Team

• Feroci Racing
  • None
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA & Modding]

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:41 AM Edited by OrionSR, 03 February 2012 - 07:44 AM.

Yes and no. It will appear that your ammo is unlimited because the counter won't show, but you will have only 30000 rounds of minigun ammo. If you want unlimited ammo for any weapon you need to reach 100% completion.

Don't have a minigun in inventory or the glitch won't work, and you'll lose all the ammo you brought with you. When I arrived with the jetpack I was attacked by 3 army guys with rocket launchers so swapping out my minigun ammo was easy enough.

The turret minigun was a bit glitchy when entered while wearing the jetpack. CJ was shooting the micro-smg at the helicopters, the weapon that was equipped while using the jetpack.

Sucha84
  • Sucha84

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:36 AM

Oh! I thought that the way it tells, we can get a real unlimited ammo minigun. And will it work if I bring any other heavy weapon like Heat Seeking RPG and will it replace with the Minigun or should I come with no heavy weapons? However, even 30000 ammo for a minigun is very cool because it is the greatest way to push a wreckage of an indestructible vehicle and killing Smoke in matter of seconds for "End of the Line".

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:27 AM Edited by OrionSR, 03 February 2012 - 02:18 PM.

You can't get "real" unlimited ammo other than by reaching 100%. Weapon ammo is stored as an integer - a 4 byte dword, so the most you could get even by modding would be a bit under 4.3 billion rounds. That's an awful lot, but still quite a bit short of infinite. By contrast, armor is stored as a 4 byte floating point value and can actually be set to infinite.

In order for the trick to work you could enter the turret with no heavy weapon (although this will probably be a weapon with no ammo, which isn't displayed - you can tell the difference by whether or not you need to hit tab to pick up another weapon) or something other than the minigun. What I did was pick up the rocket launcher dropped by one of the army guys just before entering the turret. One of them is standing right next to it. There is also a flame thrower in the general area.

Added: I didn't test running out the ammo on a minigun in order to enter the turret with no heavy weapon. I would not be surprised if this would cause the glitch not to work.

BabeRuth
  • BabeRuth

Bronx Bombers Stadium

• Members

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:17 AM

3000 ammo doesn't seem like alot especially for a minigun cause of how fast it uses up ammo.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:54 AM

You are correct. Even 30 thousand rounds won't last forever.

BabeRuth
  • BabeRuth

Bronx Bombers Stadium

• Members

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:44 AM

you would have to use either a cheat device or codes; so you can have unlimited ammo for the minigun. thats the only other way to have unlimited ammo for the minigun or is there another way (@ OrionSR)??

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:54 AM

QUOTE (BabeRuth @ Sunday, Feb 5 2012, 11:14)
you would have to use either a cheat device or codes; so you can have unlimited ammo for the minigun. thats the only other way to have unlimited ammo for the minigun or is there another way (@ OrionSR)??

QUOTE (OrionSR @ Friday, Feb 3 2012, 13:11)
If you want unlimited ammo for any weapon you need to reach 100% completion.

Sucha84
  • Sucha84

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:40 AM

Using a cheat device or a trainer to get unlimited ammo for minigun is a dishonest and boring play and also it may give the cheat waring when I save the game. Also after completing 100%, unlimited ammo for any weapon is totally useless because we have already done all hard work. Unfortunately shooting range glitch that gives unlimited ammo for most weapons, doesn't work for minigun. But still at least 30000 ammo from that glitch will be cool by considering to go to collect few ammo.

One More question: Is the range of Minigun unlimited like sniper rifle? Looks to me, Minigun's range is unlimited.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:23 AM

Don't confuse the lack of an ammo count on the HUD with unlimited ammo. When the Ammu-nation trick is used to double the ammo beyond 9999 rounds the game still counts each and every bullet. If you keep shooting long enough eventually the ammo count will reappear.

I find the lack of an ammo count on the HUD to be annoying. I like to see how many rounds are in the clip so I know when to switch between weapons in order to avoid the reload animation.

After posting that reaching 100% was the only way to get unlimited ammo I was reminded about the button cheat code that provides unlimited ammo. This code sets a flag in memory that prevents the game from depleting the ammo supply. Like 100% completion, it applies to every weapon (except, if I recall correctly, the camera - I remember reading a post that said the film can still be depleted). However, unlike 100% completion, the button codes must be reapplied every time a save is loaded.

The button cheat codes will cause the game to display a warning message before saving, but cheat device codes and trainers do not. They usually just set the unlimited ammo flag directly and bypass the routine that also sets the "has cheated" flag. Cheat device codes and trainers can also set the ammo count for individual weapons to a ridiculously high values to provide virtually unlimited ammo.

GTA_Loco
  • GTA_Loco

Make Things Differently

• Members

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:22 AM

Is this the case with PS2 v1 as well? I've used my weapons with disappeared ammo count countless times after employing the ammu-nation challenge trick and the ammo count never appeared again.

As for the minigun in Up, UP and Away, I don't know about the jetpack trick, but I know that if you allow CJ to get killed while using the gun emplacement, it will be stored in his arsenal after he spawns at the hospital with no ammo count, sort of "unlimited".

BabeRuth
  • BabeRuth

Bronx Bombers Stadium

• Members

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE (Sucha84 @ Sunday, Feb 5 2012, 06:40)
Using a cheat device or a trainer to get unlimited ammo for minigun is a dishonest and boring play and also it may give the cheat waring when I save the game. Also after completing 100%, unlimited ammo for any weapon is totally useless because we have already done all hard work. Unfortunately shooting range glitch that gives unlimited ammo for most weapons, doesn't work for minigun. But still at least 30000 ammo from that glitch will be cool by considering to go to collect few ammo.

One More question: Is the range of Minigun unlimited like sniper rifle? Looks to me, Minigun's range is unlimited.

dishonest i can understand; but boring?! how can you say that??!! GTA is all about fun & killing, doing side missions etc.....

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE (GTA_Loco @ Sunday, Feb 5 2012, 04:22)
Is this the case with PS2 v1 as well? I've used my weapons with disappeared ammo count countless times after employing the ammu-nation challenge trick and the ammo count never appeared again.

Without testing it directly, I would argue: Yes. Try it sometime with a dual-wield Tec-9 since it uses ammo quite quickly. Clear your excess ammo with the Bloodbowl glitch, then buy as close as you can get to 1251 rounds before starting the doubling trick, I can't remember if the ammo that is in the clip also get doubled so you might have to buy a few more rounds from the vendor to make sure the total ammo comes out only a little above 10,000 rounds. Then it shouldn't take long at all to run the test.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:27 AM Edited by OrionSR, 06 February 2012 - 02:34 AM.

QUOTE (Sucha84 @ Saturday, Feb 4 2012, 23:40)

Whoops, for got to answer this question.

According to the data in the weapons.dat file, rifles have a range of 100.0 and the minigun's range is 75.0. However, I don't think this data is accurate. Quite a while ago I spent some time on a SWAT Van vigilante challenge: Basically, see how high of a level of vigilante can be completed using the BP/FP SWAT Van obtained from End of the Line. Since you can't do a drive-by in a SWAT Van, and it's such a slow vehicle, unusual methods are required to progress through the levels. I was using a 100% game so ammo for the minigun was not a concern.

Anyway, I had just made a kill near the bribe a little SW of the airstrip and the next target spawned along the dirt road north of the restricted area. By the time I made it to the top of the hill the target had progressed to the turn in the dirt road but I was still able to destroy the vehicle from the hilltop. A rough estimate of this distance using the locations tab on SACC puts this distance at 500 meters.

I can't think of a way to test if the range is truly unlimited, but for all intents and purposes, I'd argue that range is not a concern.

BTW, I've got no idea why weasel insists on having the last word by locking topics all the time. The newest of those links is over 3.5 years old and we've learned a lot since then. They are very unlikely to contain the information you need. There is no definitive girlfriend reference. However, you might try looking through the proofed GF cars topic, or asking you question there.

Sucha84
  • Sucha84

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:45 AM

Thanks for the information. As you said, I didn't get the correct information from those previous links about Dumping girlfriends. But I have all informations about proofing cars of girlfriends. One link, it had every detail about girlfriends except dumping. So still have problems that how to prevent dumping while ignoring them specially Denise.

pomor
  • pomor

Stainless Steel Rat

• Members

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:26 AM Edited by pomor, 12 February 2012 - 09:30 AM.

QUOTE (OrionSR @ Friday, Feb 3 2012, 08:41)
The turret minigun was a bit glitchy when entered while wearing the jetpack. CJ was shooting the micro-smg at the helicopters, the weapon that was equipped while using the jetpack.

It is rather the slot that was equipped, just before picking up the jetpack. When I had M4 equipped before picking it up, CJ had to shoot down gunships with M4. When I equipped Heat Seekers, CJ got to shot down Hunters with minigun.Then, in both cases, gained so called unlimited minigun.
I don't remember if there is any mission, during the retur to LS part of the storyline, that forces different heavy weapon on you.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:46 AM

None of the missions Force you to take a heavy weapon.
"Out Rider", "Interdiction", and "Up, Up and Away" imply you must take them by offering them.

pomor
  • pomor

Stainless Steel Rat

• Members

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:55 AM

QUOTE (lil weasel @ Sunday, Feb 12 2012, 10:46)
None of the missions Force you to take a heavy weapon.
"Out Rider", "Interdiction", and "Up, Up and Away" imply you must take them by offering them.

Well, some of the earlier ones do. Like Da Nang Thang or Are You Going to San Fierro - just from the top of my head.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:17 AM

You're right. "Are you going to San Fiero" does. I forgot about that, as I usually trade it in for the H.E.A.T. missile launcher as soon as I can get to the Airport.
But, "Da nang thang" has only the 'copter mounted one".

twannie1997
  • twannie1997

Hustler

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:39 AM Edited by twannie1997, 12 February 2012 - 10:41 AM.

Infinite ammo would be a number that the game counts as 'infinite'. If it's 1-bit, 2 will be considered as 'infinite'. The ammo count shows nothing if the limit '10000' is reached. But, the REAL ammo limit is above '10000'. That is for missions like rampages which give you infinite ammo.
After 100%, the ammo count is frozen, so it does not deplete.

EDIT: You can also have negative ammo, but I don't know how the engine handles that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users