2005-2007 MazdaSpeed 6 (MPS)

11 replies to this topic
SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Goodfella

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:43 AM

I'm currently looking for a new car and although I'm typically not a big Japanese Import fan (More of a muscle car guy) I've always liked these MazdaSpeed6s. They seem quite popular in Europe and America.

Over here they're called a Mazda 6 MPS, so they're virtually the same car just with the steering wheel on the RIGHT side. tounge2.gif

I think they look great and being a 2.3L Turbo 4 cylinder with 4x4 it has me intrigued. My previous 2 cars have been manuals, so the 6 speed manual wouldn't bother me at all.

I guess what I'm saying is I would appreciate any opinion from someone whose had experience with one. Owned or other wise. Generally speaking Mazdas have a great reputation over here with the Mazda 3 being the best selling car in Australia.

Also I rarely hear people say bad things about Mazdas, so yeah any feed back would be appreciated. smile.gif

Los Santos Pedestrian
  • Los Santos Pedestrian

Then as it was, but again it will be

• Members

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:19 AM

To be honest, I've seen a Mazda 6 once in my life, and I've seen a Toyota Previa three times.

So I have to disagree on the 'popular' part.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO
  • Best Contributor [Vehicles] 2012

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:10 AM Edited by Lurch, 03 February 2012 - 02:13 AM.

You must live in a f*ckin barn then. Not sure what the Previa part had to do with anything.

I've had good luck with Mazdas lately (an 02 Protege 5 and a 06 Mazda 3 2.3) and I like them pretty well. Good cars. Can't really speak for anything specific to the Mazdaspeed like the awd system or turbo or anything. Just make sure it's been well maintained because a dipsh*t owner can wear out a turbo car a lot faster. A dipsh*t owner is probably more likely to not take the proper care to idle the car a bit before shutting it off. Mazdaspeeds don't have turbo timers do they?

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Absolute Dunkel:Heit

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D]
    Contribution Award [General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

The Mazda 6 MPS is a proper sleeper. Very, very quick in all weather and incredibly discrete. Brilliant cars. Faster than, say a BMW 330i by some considerable margin, regardless of weather, and much cheaper in every way. It's the kind of car I'd buy if I didn't need to lug dogs around. The interior is a bit plasticky and scratchy, but the Recaro seats in them more than make up for it.

Los Santos Pedestrian
  • Los Santos Pedestrian

Then as it was, but again it will be

• Members

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE (Lurch @ Friday, Feb 3 2012, 02:10)
You must live in a f*ckin barn then. Not sure what the Previa part had to do with anything.

The Previa part means I've seen a Mazda 6 less than an ugly sh*twagon.

Anyway, on topic, the 6 apparently gets 0-60 in 5.4 seconds (according to Car & Driver), which is pretty damn fast for a sedan. A Porsche Panamera 0-60 is 3.7 seconds, but that's a Porsche.

Tuff Luv Capo
  • Tuff Luv Capo

We must find Ansama Benlanden

• Members

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:48 PM

A fat dorky co-worker had a MazdaSpeed 6. The interior was alright, but that's where the compliments end. The exterior was extremely bland, and the AWD system is actually FWD until it needs rear wheels, the exact opposite of how it should be. Also it sounded boring and sh*tty. No distinct noise, and the stock recirculating valve sounded like a queef. Everyone at work made fun of it, and they don't even like cars.

This isn't a bias, I actually wanted one back when I couldn't afford an STI, but being around one in person made me so glad I didn't settle.

Also 0-60 is 6.2 in Car and Driver.

Now the mazdaspeed 3, that's a different story. Better weight distribution, cheaper overall and way better aftermarket. It's also FWD.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:34 PM Edited by sivispacem, 04 February 2012 - 12:36 PM.

Whilst I understand where your coming from with your criticisms, did you actually drive the 6 MPS or just laugh at it from a distance? I will agree about the Haldex; however a software flash is what, about 400 tops? I'd say that the 6 MPS is better balanced than the 3 by a good margin- it's also much more comfortable and feels faster- but then again I'm used to driving saloons and estates rather than hatchbacks so that's probably personal preference. Then again, Evo, probably the worlds most highly regarded performance car magazine largely seem to agree with me.

Also, the aftermarket is nigh-on identical for them. They share almost all of their engine components and many drivetrain ones.

Tuff Luv Capo
  • Tuff Luv Capo

We must find Ansama Benlanden

• Members

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

Of course I've driven one. I don't magazine race. Dealerships hate me haha.

visionist
  • visionist

Eat A Peach For Hours

• Members

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Friday, Feb 3 2012, 10:18)
The Mazda 6 MPS is a proper sleeper. Very, very quick in all weather and incredibly discrete. Brilliant cars. Faster than, say a BMW 330i by some considerable margin, regardless of weather, and much cheaper in every way. It's the kind of car I'd buy if I didn't need to lug dogs around. The interior is a bit plasticky and scratchy, but the Recaro seats in them more than make up for it.

They're very handsome & elegant compared to their over-inflated, five hundred safety stars bollocks successors.

The quality is incomparable to a BMW though. my old man had a 530 and its doors felt so heavy & solid compared to the Mazda 6 he replaced it with. The Bavarian's literally weighed double.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (visionist @ Sunday, Feb 5 2012, 22:12)
The quality is incomparable to a BMW though. my old man had a 530 and its doors felt so heavy & solid compared to the Mazda 6 he replaced it with. The Bavarian's literally weighed double.

Agreed. They're not pretending to be a luxury car, though- they're a family saloon with a pokey turbocharged engine and AWD.

markusizr
  • markusizr

:D

• Members

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

i dislike mazda 6 2011
cause 2 reasons and i
dont wanna buy this car beacuse they took every thing from old cars
and costs a lot of money and dad doesnt have any much like me
and my dad's boss have old mazda 6 not new

Xo4
  • Xo4

The Lunatic is in My Head.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:57 PM

You mean to say they took influence from older 6's to make new ones, NO f*ckING WAY.
MS6's aren't pricey compared to similar cars.
And my boss drove a Mercedes, guess I cant have any Mercs now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users